Not quite a career-changer,not quite a grade-improver, where do I fit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachc06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping someone here could help guide me to the right place.

I graduated from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in September 2010 with a B.S. of Environmental Science and I now work full time in Finance. I am about to be 25 and I need to complete a few requirements to be eligible for Med School admission. The problem is, I have too many science courses for a career-changer Post-Bacc and not enough for a grade-improver Post-Bacc but not enough for Med School!

I have taken 1 year of Biology with labs (A- in both semesters), 1 year of inorganic chem with labs (B,A-), 1 semester of organic chem with no lab (A-, this is not considered a “science major” class), 1 semester of Microbiology without lab (A).

My science GPA is 3.63 with those classes, and if I include Calculus I & II (B+ & C+) my sGPA is 3.44. My cumulative GPA for undergrad is 3.67.

At this point I need 1 year of Orgo & 1 year of Physics. Most post-baccs require that you take more classes than this. I also need letters of recommendation, and I have no teachers that I kept in cotact with from undergrad, because I was mostly in giant lectures. I live in Boston, so I am thinking that Harvard Extension school may be the best fit for me. They also say that if you take 20 credits, you can get Sponsorship and they will write you a letter of recommendation to Med School. The Orgo + Physics will be 16 credits, so I could add Anat & Phys for another 4 or perhaps try to improve my calculus score.

Is anyone else in a similar position as me? Are there other schools that might fit my post-bacc needs and offer a linkage program? I have no health-related extracurricular and have not taken the MCAT so a linkage program with more guidance might be better for me. I just feel totally lost in this process. I’d appreciate any input! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.