Not quite a career-changer,not quite a grade-improver, where do I fit?

Started by rachc06
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rachc06

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am hoping someone here could help guide me to the right place.

I graduated from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in September 2010 with a B.S. of Environmental Science and I now work full time in Finance. I am about to be 25 and I need to complete a few requirements to be eligible for Med School admission. The problem is, I have too many science courses for a career-changer Post-Bacc and not enough for a grade-improver Post-Bacc but not enough for Med School!

I have taken 1 year of Biology with labs (A- in both semesters), 1 year of inorganic chem with labs (B,A-), 1 semester of organic chem with no lab (A-, this is not considered a “science major” class), 1 semester of Microbiology without lab (A).

My science GPA is 3.63 with those classes, and if I include Calculus I & II (B+ & C+) my sGPA is 3.44. My cumulative GPA for undergrad is 3.67.

At this point I need 1 year of Orgo & 1 year of Physics. Most post-baccs require that you take more classes than this. I also need letters of recommendation, and I have no teachers that I kept in cotact with from undergrad, because I was mostly in giant lectures. I live in Boston, so I am thinking that Harvard Extension school may be the best fit for me. They also say that if you take 20 credits, you can get Sponsorship and they will write you a letter of recommendation to Med School. The Orgo + Physics will be 16 credits, so I could add Anat & Phys for another 4 or perhaps try to improve my calculus score.

Is anyone else in a similar position as me? Are there other schools that might fit my post-bacc needs and offer a linkage program? I have no health-related extracurricular and have not taken the MCAT so a linkage program with more guidance might be better for me. I just feel totally lost in this process. I’d appreciate any input! Thank you.