not to boring/not to hectic areas to live in NY or NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERchica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to do ER in the bronx, and my bf is debating on choosing a hospital for himself in either new brunswick, NJ, or long island, ny. I guess the question we are facing now is that if he were to do his residency in jersey, are there any places people would recommend checking out that wouldn't be a bad distance to travel for the both of us? Also, how bout if he picked long island? He likes both hospitals pretty equally, and so it comes down to location/lifestyle, which is important to both of us. We like laid back areas that will still provide us w/ lots of restaurants, things to do, etc.
thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

ERchica said:
So I have decided to do ER in the bronx, and my bf is debating on choosing a hospital for himself in either new brunswick, NJ, or long island, ny. I guess the question we are facing now is that if he were to do his residency in jersey, are there any places people would recommend checking out that wouldn't be a bad distance to travel for the both of us? Also, how bout if he picked long island? He likes both hospitals pretty equally, and so it comes down to location/lifestyle, which is important to both of us. We like laid back areas that will still provide us w/ lots of restaurants, things to do, etc.
thanks!!

I am not that familiar with NJ, and I would recommend LI as a good place to live, but you will have a LONG commute to the bronx from LI if you live there. NJ seems like the best bet as far travel distance for both of you, but you may be able to live in Brooklyn which would be a somewhat equal commute. Do you have cars? That will also make a big difference. If he has a car and you two live in Brooklyn, he can drive to NJ pretty easily, but if neither one of you have a car, that commute is going to be much longer. I hope this helps a bit, feel free to FM me if you have any questions about LI.

don't want to contradict, but LI may not be the place to "provide us w/ lots of restaurants, things to do, etc." It can be a nice place to live, but be prepared, it's the 'burbs.

locitamd said:
don't want to contradict, but LI may not be the place to "provide us w/ lots of restaurants, things to do, etc." It can be a nice place to live, but be prepared, it's the 'burbs.

I am not disagreeing with you that it is "the 'burbs" and is not as much fun as the city, the reason why I figured the OP would like it, is I get the impression that she is not a "city person" and thats why she recommended LI or NJ v/s living in the city. Nassau County is not a bad place to live, there really are a lot of things to do there, although it takes more effort to find them than it does in NYC. There are many great restaurants in Nassau alone, so if that is a big part of what she likes to do, she wont be disappointed.

I find it so sad that the subject I feel most qualified to speak about on this website is Nassau county :scared: