Not traditional student here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycdent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It' been a while since I got all my pre requisites. And of course I don't remember anything. Where do I even start? I read all about study materials but which one should be first? Does anyone have a study plan for someone who has to learn all of this from the beginning? I am planing to take DAT by the end of this year. Have a full time job and a toddler. So I basically have a couple of hours at night to study.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you have a few options....
If you go with iprep you can get unlimited view of the videos, so you can always go back to look at them until you take the DAT, the teacher teaches you what'll be on the DAT (nothing more), so you'll be able to spend more time with your baby. Also, the professor herself took the DAT, so she is very knowledgeable of it all. I think her iprep book speak volumes of her experience with the DAT.

For biology, I personally liked the Sterling prep book with tons of questions. However, the iprep teacher and Dr. Putzer (a Harvard graduate) that teach the DAT in Orlando, FL, use Feralis notes, which are free.

Last edited by a moderator:
It' been a while since I got all my pre requisites. And of course I don't remember anything. Where do I even start? I read all about study materials but which one should be first? Does anyone have a study plan for someone who has to learn all of this from the beginning? I am planing to take DAT by the end of this year. Have a full time job and a toddler. So I basically have a couple of hours at night to study.

I started prepping for the DAT a year + a few months after graduating. Essentially, I hadn't academically challenged my brain for a year and was 4 to 5 years removed from GC, OC and BIO. I managed to score a 23AA but it came with a lot of hard work and sacrifice. Studied for 4.5 months, 6 days a week and anywhere from 6 to 10 hours a day. I'm in no way a genius so my score was the result of the time I put in and the sacrifices I made. Don't know what your AA goal is or your academic abilities, but realistically I feel a couple hours a day may not be optimal as there is a forgetting curve that comes into play especially for individuals like us who are far removed from the prereqs. Nonetheless, persistence always prevails. I would start with Chad's vids (on CourseSaver) to relearn GC, then move onto Mike's Vids (on BootCamp) to relearn OC and then Cliff's/Feralis to reestablish your Bio foundation. Mike also has GC vid's (on BC) if you don't want to pay for the $50 CourseSaver subscription. Here's a detailed look at the study materials and study plan/timeline I personally used: DAT Breakdown Dec 2017 (23 AA, 25 TS)

Let me know if you have any questions, we're here to help!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very helpful. Thank you. I am planning to take 1-2 month off right before the test.

Reactions: 1 user