Nova (NSU-KPCOM) vs ARCOM vs SHSU-COM (Sam Houston)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedperson97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas resident hoping to do residency in Texas. Already paid deposit at ARCOM but was recently accepted to both NSU-KPCOM (Tampa) and SHSU-COM. Need help deciding on which school would be best to attend. If deciding on NSU, will try to get on the waitlist to switch to Davie campus.

NSU-KPCOM (Tampa Bay Campus)
Pros
  • Established School (may help now that Step 1 and COMLEX 1 are pass/fail)
  • Decent Rotation Sites
  • Better location (near big city)
  • International Outreach
  • High Tech Facilities
  • No mandatory lectures
  • Allowed to wear scrubs to class
  • Possible to pursue dual-degree program

Cons
  • Low board scores (may change with new curriculum that is board focused)
  • Small chance that I would have to rotate in New York or Michigan
  • Far from home (Texas)
  • Expensive
  • High cost of living
  • Large class size (do not know if there are enough rotation sites for everyone)
  • Newer campus location (may not have as many research opportunities as Davie campus)
  • Virtual anatomy
  • Opened new MD school so resources may be split with preference towards MD program

Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pros
  • Very close to home (~ 1 hour) for first 2 years
  • Close to Houston
  • Able to establish organizations and tradition as part of very new school
  • May have a better chance to match back in Texas (not sure if Texas residency programs prefer in-state graduates)
  • Small class size

Cons
  • Very New School (Would be in 2nd class)
  • Rural rotation sites for 3rd and 4th year
  • Not many research opportunities
  • Unknown board scores or match data

Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pros
  • Great community support
  • Expanded research opportunities (bought new building for research)
  • Less expensive that NSU-KPCOM and SHSU-COM
  • Nice friendly atmosphere when visiting campus
  • Low cost of living

Cons
  • More rural area including rotation sites
  • No match data yet
  • Mandatory lecture if below 80%
  • Mandatory dress code
  • Far from home
  • ~90 COMLEX pass rate

Summary: Overall, leaning more towards NSU-KPCOM due to location and it being better established. Any help in deciding between these schools would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would honestly pick the newer school over the other two, mainly for support system and small class size.

Arguably, NSU has gone downhill (it's also pricey!!) and ARCOM has a ton of issues (didn't they make candidates do in person interviews during the pandemic?)

I would honestly pick the newer school over the other two, mainly for support system and small class size.

Arguably, NSU has gone downhill (it's also pricey!!) and ARCOM has a ton of issues (didn't they make candidates do in person interviews during the pandemic?)
The in person interview was not an issue. It was worth it and safety precautions was taken. Didn't hear of a single person catching covid from the interview so the fear mongering was overblown.

Members don't see this ad :)

ARCOM was my first interview and acceptance. They did not "make" candidates do in person interviews, they made it optional. At interview day, they also stressed that they would not be biased against the virtual candidates who couldn't travel. They wanted us to come and see their campus, and it ended up being my most fun and favorite interview day because it wasn't just on Zoom. My husband and I went to Arkansas together and spent time hiking at a state park the next day. I certainly felt safe and it was a wonderful day. I ended up getting into several MD schools so I won't be going there, but ARCOM will always be special to me. In terms of OP's choice, I just don't know! I guess I would probably pick SHSU.

Would you post your decision when you decide and also a reason why you decided to go to that school at the end. I got into NYIT and NSU (both BS/DO programs) as a high school senior and would appreciate more info. Thank you