Nova Research Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmmaNemma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the deal with the Nova research fellowship? During the interview, they said that it is one year and that you then get the next two years tuition free. I think I also remember them mentioning that it was in either OMM or psychology.

So here are my questions. Are they paying your living expenses during the year of research? If not, can you take out more loans? How in depth is the research? I got the feeling that the fellowships were just so that the school could saying that they were doing medical research. OMM and psychology both seem like areas where the school could fund research really inexpensively.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Of the two people who are doing their research now one is doing it on inflammation and I can't remember what the other one is doing it on. They picked their own topics and have been largely reponsible for running the research themselves with some faculty assitance/oversight. I believe they do get some kind of monthly stipend for living expenses, but I don't really know how much it is. I have no idea about wheather or not they can still take out loans, but I don't think they needed to. There is also an OMM fellowship in which 6 people are picked each year to spend a year between MS2 and MS3 just focusing on OMM. They spend time precepting MS1 and MS2 OMM labs and rotating with the various OMM attendings and a few outside clinics that focus primarily on OPP and pain management. The benefits are that they get tuition for years 3 and 4 covered by the school and get to select which track they prefer to rotate through (both research and OMM fellows) rather than having to go through a raffle like process that I did as a MS2. You apply for all this stuff as a MS2, so you don't have to think too much about it until then. The negatives of either program are that you will enter residency one year later than your original classmates and will thus sacrifice a year of attending level pay, so depending on which specialty you want to go into the actual benefit of having two years tuition covered is debatable.

Of the two people who are doing their research now one is doing it on inflammation and I can't remember what the other one is doing it on. They picked their own topics and have been largely reponsible for running the research themselves with some faculty assitance/oversight. I believe they do get some kind of monthly stipend for living expenses, but I don't really know how much it is. I have no idea about wheather or not they can still take out loans, but I don't think they needed to. There is also an OMM fellowship in which 6 people are picked each year to spend a year between MS2 and MS3 just focusing on OMM. They spend time precepting MS1 and MS2 OMM labs and rotating with the various OMM attendings and a few outside clinics that focus primarily on OPP and pain management. The benefits are that they get tuition for years 3 and 4 covered by the school and get to select which track they prefer to rotate through (both research and OMM fellows) rather than having to go through a raffle like process that I did as a MS2. You apply for all this stuff as a MS2, so you don't have to think too much about it until then. The negatives of either program are that you will enter residency one year later than your original classmates and will thus sacrifice a year of attending level pay, so depending on which specialty you want to go into the actual benefit of having two years tuition covered is debatable.

This is a good point. If you are going into a specialty where you earn >300K a year, the extra 100K in loans may be a better bet than foregoing a year of attending salary.

On the other hand, I imagine students who do this fellowship are pumping out publications/abstracts/posters, and it could potentially help with getting into some of the more competitive fields. I'm not sure how much the OPP fellowship will help with fields outside of FM or OMM, but research in something else could...