Nova Southeastern University PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mila1998

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been accepted into NSU PsyD program in clinical psychology which has good stats (licensure rates, APA-match rates above 88%). However, the cohort is over 50 people. Can I have any advice from those familiar with this program? I could really use any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the acceptance! How was the interview? I got invited for an interview and I have no idea what to expect

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the acceptance! How was the interview? I got invited for an interview and I have no idea what to expect
Interview is really fun - don’t stress about it at all! The faculty is there to get to know you and answer any questions. As corny as it sounds, just relax and be yourself!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the interview! It's a big step :)

To the person asking the question, as you can see, people can hold strong opinions of programs, and as such, you will assuredly be up against those types of biases come later interviews. It's only natural, and psychologists in decision-making/training roles are, to a degree, justified in their thinking, as they're merely trying to identify folks with whom they want to train/work. That said, none of us even know (likely including you) which subspecialty you'll choose, if any. Aside from grad school being a grueling/transformative process no matter where you go, it would be difficult to not note the price tag of the program, as well as many other PsyD programs, so do keep that in mind. Pragmatically, to avoid such a headache (that is if you're going to rely on financial aid), it really isn't a terrible idea to wait things out and try again later for a funded program. I hope you're not feeling rushed.

Nova has concentrations, but you don't need to do one, with most arguing in hindsight a broader training/perspective without one. I think with all places, there are going to be pros and cons. There are some faculty you're shocked got the job (which you'll still feel as a staff psychologist somewhere) and others on the opposite end of the spectrum. The large cohort gives you an appreciation of the normal distribution (that may make more sense later), and chances to find your people and make close friendships smaller cohorts can't offer in the same way. There are opportunities to learn from, and conduct research with, professors who wrote the current trauma handbook, ran in original VA Boston circles, ran in old Menninger clinic circles, ran in old rehab psychology circles, are respected in forensic settings, there's an older adult community clinic, etc. It all depends on you, your interests and values, and what you put into your training/learning. There are Nova grads at top institutions around the country in academic medical settings, VA hospitals, etc. There are also a handful of students in cohorts that squeak past the checks and balances and head off to internship, who can then taint the image of the program (there's a whole conversation here about places needing to keep APA accred., as schools are obviously paid and concerned about litigious Americans and their parents, etc.). With the price tag, I think you're given many training opportunities in different areas other programs often lack, as reported by students from other programs who have expressed some envy with some training opportunities Nova students often obtain. In grad school, a lot of your thinking and skills come from your three+ practica experiences vs the classroom, which I think is possibly more relevant to you as opposed to a discussion of research, as you stated you got into the PsyD side of things. Regardless of PsyD or PhD, you'll be expected to produce a dissertation/"directed study," and I'd urge you to undertake an empirical study. Nova has strong relationships in the area, and the relationships with available practica in SoFlo will definitely afford you greater diversity training than some armpit of America with white folks in all directions, but of course, can't compete in this way with programs in NYC.

All in all, if you try to be open to learning new information, challenging previous thinking, identifying your own blind spots/biases, you'll assuredly realize one day that (and humility) is where it's at. Things aren't so black/white in terms of programs, internships, fellowships, employers, as with most of life. If you find yourself being judged by others, not by what you say and how you think come interview time, or how well you connect with clients/patients, but instead by what school you went to, you probably don't want to be there. Like Matt Damon mentions in Goodwill Hunting, you can get the same education from a library. So long as you bother to read and continue asking questions, are skeptical, and willing to put forth the effort, you'll be fine :)

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations on the interview! It's a big step :)

To the person asking the question, as you can see, people can hold strong opinions of programs, and as such, you will assuredly be up against those types of biases come later interviews. It's only natural, and psychologists in decision-making/training roles are, to a degree, justified in their thinking, as they're merely trying to identify folks with whom they want to train/work. That said, none of us even know (likely including you) which subspecialty you'll choose, if any. Aside from grad school being a grueling/transformative process no matter where you go, it would be difficult to not note the price tag of the program, as well as many other PsyD programs, so do keep that in mind. Pragmatically, to avoid such a headache (that is if you're going to rely on financial aid), it really isn't a terrible idea to wait things out and try again later for a funded program. I hope you're not feeling rushed.

Nova has concentrations, but you don't need to do one, with most arguing in hindsight a broader training/perspective without one. I think with all places, there are going to be pros and cons. There are some faculty you're shocked got the job (which you'll still feel as a staff psychologist somewhere) and others on the opposite end of the spectrum. The large cohort gives you an appreciation of the normal distribution (that may make more sense later), and chances to find your people and make close friendships smaller cohorts can't offer in the same way. There are opportunities to learn from, and conduct research with, professors who wrote the current trauma handbook, ran in original VA Boston circles, ran in old Menninger clinic circles, ran in old rehab psychology circles, are respected in forensic settings, there's an older adult community clinic, etc. It all depends on you, your interests and values, and what you put into your training/learning. There are Nova grads at top institutions around the country in academic medical settings, VA hospitals, etc. There are also a handful of students in cohorts that squeak past the checks and balances and head off to internship, who can then taint the image of the program (there's a whole conversation here about places needing to keep APA accred., as schools are obviously paid and concerned about litigious Americans and their parents, etc.). With the price tag, I think you're given many training opportunities in different areas other programs often lack, as reported by students from other programs who have expressed some envy with some training opportunities Nova students often obtain. In grad school, a lot of your thinking and skills come from your three+ practica experiences vs the classroom, which I think is possibly more relevant to you as opposed to a discussion of research, as you stated you got into the PsyD side of things. Regardless of PsyD or PhD, you'll be expected to produce a dissertation/"directed study," and I'd urge you to undertake an empirical study. Nova has strong relationships in the area, and the relationships with available practica in SoFlo will definitely afford you greater diversity training than some armpit of America with white folks in all directions, but of course, can't compete in this way with programs in NYC.

All in all, if you try to be open to learning new information, challenging previous thinking, identifying your own blind spots/biases, you'll assuredly realize one day that (and humility) is where it's at. Things aren't so black/white in terms of programs, internships, fellowships, employers, as with most of life. If you find yourself being judged by others, not by what you say and how you think come interview time, or how well you connect with clients/patients, but instead by what school you went to, you probably don't want to be there. Like Matt Damon mentions in Goodwill Hunting, you can get the same education from a library. So long as you bother to read and continue asking questions, are skeptical, and willing to put forth the effort, you'll be fine :)
This was so great to read. I really appreciate this message!

With the price tag, I think you're given many training opportunities in different areas other programs often lack, as reported by students from other programs who have expressed some envy with some training opportunities Nova students often obtain. In grad school, a lot of your thinking and skills come from your three+ practica experiences vs the classroom, which I think is possibly more relevant to you as opposed to a discussion of research, as you stated you got into the PsyD side of things.

You can get equivalent clinical experience in a Ph.D. program and I'm not sure why you'd want to talk less about the science that informs your practice.

Reactions: 3 users
You can get equivalent clinical experience in a Ph.D. program and I'm not sure why you'd want to talk less about the science that informs your practice.

Perhaps the lack of research discussion is a reason why this program entered into a relationship with a known purveyor of pseudoscience...

Reactions: 2 users
Their reputation has been trending downward for a while now. Doing a lot of research with the Amen clinics was pretty much the last nail in the coffin for me accepting any of these students for intership.
What evidence do you have that they have been trending downwards? I see the opposite when looking at the data. Students receiving APA/CPA accredited internships has gradually increased from 46% in 2010 to 95% in 2020. Also, 91% of graduates within the last 10 years have received licensure. I can get behind throwing rocks at the program for its stupidly high tuition, but let's not tarnish the name of a whole cohort without really looking at the facts. NOVA has a large cohort and there are very bright students, average students, and below average students who attend the program. Tossing out all applications from an APA-accredited university based on misguided assumptions says more about a TD then it does about an individual attending a program. I would hope future TD's are able to assess an INDIVIDUAL's clinical ability, personal achievements, and work ethic as oppose to just looking at what university they attended. In an ideal world of course we would all like to attend a fully funded PhD program. However, until the amount of funded PhD positions is on par with the demand for clinical psychologists, universities like these will exist to help meet that demand.

What evidence do you have that they have been trending downwards? I see the opposite when looking at the data. Students receiving APA/CPA accredited internships has gradually increased from 46% in 2010 to 95% in 2020. Also, 91% of graduates within the last 10 years have received licensure. I can get behind throwing rocks at the program for its stupidly high tuition, but let's not tarnish the name of a whole cohort without really looking at the facts. NOVA has a large cohort and there are very bright students, average students, and below average students who attend the program. Tossing out all applications from an APA-accredited university based on misguided assumptions says more about a TD then it does about an individual attending a program. I would hope future TD's are able to assess an INDIVIDUAL's clinical ability, personal achievements, and work ethic as oppose to just looking at what university they attended. In an ideal world of course we would all like to attend a fully funded PhD program. However, until the amount of funded PhD positions is on par with the demand for clinical psychologists, universities like these will exist to help meet that demand.

Everyone's internship match rate has increased dramatically in that time period. Because a large number of spots were added in that time period. I'm speaking mostly to the neuro program, because I see many applications from it every single year. And, if rejecting people whose sole research experience is garbage pseudoscience is biased, I'm fine with that. Couple that with the few times we have invited the better looking of the applicants to interview, and then not being able to coherently discuss a clinical vignette, and yeah, we're fine with assigning the DNR on those. We generally got >15 apps per spot offered, so we make some easy cuts at the top. If you want to be considered highly, don't attend a school with a poor reputation in your field, nothing too complex about that.

Everyone's internship match rate has increased dramatically in that time period. Because a large number of spots were added in that time period. I'm speaking mostly to the neuro program, because I see many applications from it every single year. And, if rejecting people whose sole research experience is garbage pseudoscience is biased, I'm fine with that. Couple that with the few times we have invited the better looking of the applicants to interview, and then not being able to coherently discuss a clinical vignette, and yeah, we're fine with assigning the DNR on those. We generally got >15 apps per spot offered, so we make some easy cuts at the top. If you want to be considered highly, don't attend a school with a poor reputation in your field, nothing too complex about that.
Sounds like some pretty subjective evidence if you ask me. I'm still not seeing what makes you say that the university has been trending downwards, nothing too complex about providing concrete evidence to back up a critical statement. If all you are trying to say is that you have been unimpressed with neuro applications that you have looked over then I am fine with that. It is not a neuro-based program anyways.

Sounds like some pretty subjective evidence if you ask me. I'm still not seeing what makes you say that the university has been trending downwards, nothing too complex about providing concrete evidence to back up a critical statement. If all you are trying to say is that you have been unimpressed with neuro applications that you have looked over then I am fine with that. It is not a neuro-based program anyways.

Neuropsychology is one of the concentrations that they have marketed heavily over the years. Also, if you'd like, there are people who went to this place, who also agree with the sentiment about lowered reputation. Also, go around and ask researchers and professionals in neuro about the reputation of the Amen clinics. Even better, read all about it on Quackwatch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuropsychology is one of the concentrations that they have marketed heavily over the years. Also, if you'd like, there are people who went to this place, who also agree with the sentiment about lowered reputation. Also, go around and ask researchers and professionals in neuro about the reputation of the Amen clinics. Even better, read all about it on Quackwatch.
There are 7 concentrations offered along with a generalist track. Students who are in the Neuro track make up 10-15% of the student body at the highest. You are generalizing your subjective experience onto a whole cohort which just doesn't sit right with me. And someone who attended the university 15 years ago on this board says that the reputation has decreased is evidence to you? Sounds more like they want to stay in the good graces of other elitists on this board without having their own reputation take a hit. Show me objective data that depicts the program declining and I will gladly hear you out. The evidence that I have seen shows both EPPP pass rates and APA-accredited internship increasing throughout the decade. I will keep an open mind and look into the Amen clinics that you speak of, but I have not known about or been impacted by any of this research so far (then again I am not affiliated whatsoever with the Neuro department). Have a nice day, I hope you can keep an open mind as well.

Perhaps the lack of research discussion is a reason why this program entered into a relationship with a known purveyor of pseudoscience...

Hence me signature line...

Look Down Los Angeles GIF by LA Clippers

Reactions: 1 users
There are 7 concentrations offered along with a generalist track. Students who are in the Neuro track make up 10-15% of the student body at the highest. You are generalizing your subjective experience onto a whole cohort which just doesn't sit right with me. And someone who attended the university 15 years ago on this board says that the reputation has decreased is evidence to you? Sounds more like they want to stay in the good graces of other elitists on this board without having their own reputation take a hit. Show me objective data that depicts the program declining and I will gladly hear you out. The evidence that I have seen shows both EPPP pass rates and APA-accredited internship increasing throughout the decade. I will keep an open mind and look into the Amen clinics that you speak of, but I have not known about or been impacted by any of this research so far (then again I am not affiliated whatsoever with the Neuro department). Have a nice day, I hope you can keep an open mind as well.

Students and applicants are free to take whatever info they get and make a decision. If they want to accrue 6 figure+ debt and roll the dice on their careers, that's on them. Also, where is this evidence that their EPPP pass rates are getting better? 70s is still bad for any program that considers themselves reputable, particularly their sub 60 on the research portion.

Students and applicants are free to take whatever info they get and make a decision. If they want to accrue 6 figure+ debt and roll the dice on their careers, that's on them. Also, where is this evidence that their EPPP pass rates are getting better? 70s is still bad for any program that considers themselves reputable, particularly their sub 60 on the research portion.
Comparing 2012 vs 2016/17 EPPP pass rates
2012 [PDF] 2012 Psychology Licensing Exam Scores by Doctoral Program - Free Download PDF
2016 https://cdn.ymaws.com/asppb.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/EPPP_/2016_Scores_by_Doctoral_Prog.pdf
2017 https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.asppb.net/resource/resmgr/eppp_/2017_Doctoral_Report.pdf

I would like to see more recent results from 2019+ to see if this trend is consistent/increasing. But at least we can see that EPPP pass rates have increased since 2012. It is also consistent with the increase in APA-accredited internship match rates.

Comparing 2012 vs 2016/17 EPPP pass rates
2012 [PDF] 2012 Psychology Licensing Exam Scores by Doctoral Program - Free Download PDF
2016 https://cdn.ymaws.com/asppb.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/EPPP_/2016_Scores_by_Doctoral_Prog.pdf
2017 https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.asppb.net/resource/resmgr/eppp_/2017_Doctoral_Report.pdf

I would like to see more recent results from 2019+ to see if this trend is consistent/increasing. But at least we can see that EPPP pass rates have increased since 2012. It is also consistent with the increase in APA-accredited internship match rates.

They actually went down in 2017, seems more like variance then a trend upwards.

They actually went down in 2017, seems more like variance then a trend upwards.
I can agree with you that there should be more data to make any concrete conclusions. However, the last two available data on EPPP pass rates are from 2016 (84%) and 2017 (79%) which are both higher than the EPPP pass rates of 2012 (74%). This post also shows an article which stated that Nova was among the worst EPPP pass rate programs between 2005-2009 that were frequently below or around 60% EPPP Pass Rates Study
The rates from 2016 and 2017 suggest an average EPPP pass rate amongst all doctorate programs (Psyd and Phd) which would suggest an overall increase in EPPP pass rates in the last decade. I have still yet to see any data that suggests Nova has been on the decline in terms of objective data.

I don't believe that study listed individual programs someone mentioned it below in another comment, but they did not provide the number. Again, I see no evidence that there was an increase in pass rates, and given the n's and SDs of the years that were posted, it would fall within normal variance.

To the person asking the question, as you can see, people can hold strong opinions of programs, and as such, you will assuredly be up against those types of biases come later interviews. It's only natural, and psychologists in decision-making/training roles are, to a degree, justified in their thinking, as they're merely trying to identify folks with whom they want to train/work.
Is it a "bias" if it's a conclusion drawn by the outcome statistics, including their EPPP pass rates and licensure rate?

What about the program's use of captive internship sites to inflate their match rate?

They're purposefully obfuscating the match rate with this tactic, which prevents prospective students from realizing the problems with the program, instead of, you know, actually improving the quality of their program to increase the match rate?

Thus, their match rate is deceptive and therefore isn't really comparable to programs with similar rates that don't rely on captive sites.

There are some faculty you're shocked got the job (which you'll still feel as a staff psychologist somewhere) and others on the opposite end of the spectrum.
Um, this is not a problem at all programs. I may not get along equally well with all faculty in my program (some I rarely see, especially with COVID, and with others I just have cordial, but relatively uninvolved relationships), but it's readily apparent that they are very competent and productive, which is why they hold their positions.

The large cohort gives you an appreciation of the normal distribution (that may make more sense later),
Or you could get an appreciation of this like every other programs does, i.e., through robust didactics, research, and practica. Do you really not see how this is an indictment of Nova's greedy practices in admitting students who are not (maybe never will be) prepared for doctoral training?

and chances to find your people and make close friendships smaller cohorts can't offer in the same way.
This is such a weird spin on having massive cohorts. Individual Nova cohorts are twice as large as my entire program, which is absolutely going to mean you won't get anything close to the kind of mentoring you'd receive in funded programs, though I guess you may not want that if some of the faculty who be mentoring you are questionable, at best.
There are opportunities to learn from, and conduct research with, professors who wrote the current trauma handbook, ran in original VA Boston circles, ran in old Menninger clinic circles, ran in old rehab psychology circles, are respected in forensic settings, there's an older adult community clinic, etc. It all depends on you, your interests and values, and what you put into your training/learning. There are Nova grads at top institutions around the country in academic medical settings, VA hospitals, etc. There are also a handful of students in cohorts that squeak past the checks and balances and head off to internship, who can then taint the image of the program (there's a whole conversation here about places needing to keep APA accred., as schools are obviously paid and concerned about litigious Americans and their parents, etc.).
Is it just a "handful?" That Nova had to start using a captive internship site to gets internship match numbers up beyond 40-50% indicates that it is a broader, more systemic problem.

Also, didn't you just say that this was a good thing that the program admits too many students who are operating below the average for doctoral trainees?

With the price tag, I think you're given many training opportunities in different areas other programs often lack, as reported by students from other programs who have expressed some envy with some training opportunities Nova students often obtain.
What might those be and are they worth the sticker cost compared to getting those training opportunities by other means, like internship, post doc, or post licensure training?
In grad school, a lot of your thinking and skills come from your three+ practica experiences vs the classroom, which I think is possibly more relevant to you as opposed to a discussion of research, as you stated you got into the PsyD side of things. Regardless of PsyD or PhD, you'll be expected to produce a dissertation/"directed study," and I'd urge you to undertake an empirical study. Nova has strong relationships in the area, and the relationships with available practica in SoFlo will definitely afford you greater diversity training than some armpit of America with white folks in all directions, but of course, can't compete in this way with programs in NYC.
That "non-empirical studies" are options for the dissertation milestone indicates the insufficiency of Nova's research training, which is a core competency of doctoral training.
This is disingenuous. That there might be some good or even great psychologists coming out of a given program is not the point. It's important to look at modal outcomes and discern whether these people are succeeding because of their program (what is supposed to happen) or in spite of it.

A program should be helping students do these things and not leave it up to them to
The program has a bad reputation based on actual data. Therefore, it's graduates need to demonstrate that they are the exceptions to the poor quality training offered by their program. Compare this to most other psychologists who don't carry around that baggage and their program is an asset to help them and not an albatross around their neck to be overcome.
I can agree with you that there should be more data to make any concrete conclusions. However, the last two available data on EPPP pass rates are from 2016 (84%) and 2017 (79%) which are both higher than the EPPP pass rates of 2012 (74%). This post also shows an article which stated that Nova was among the worst EPPP pass rate programs between 2005-2009 that were frequently below or around 60% EPPP Pass Rates Study
The rates from 2016 and 2017 suggest an average EPPP pass rate amongst all doctorate programs (Psyd and Phd) which would suggest an overall increase in EPPP pass rates in the last decade. I have still yet to see any data that suggests Nova has been on the decline in terms of objective data.
Again, the objective data is that they use a captive internship to artificially inflate their match rates and it's a practitioner focused program but their EPPP pass rates, licensure rates, and other clinical outcomes are below clinical science and other research-focused programs.

Attachments

• 1612322286124.png
    1612322286124.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 124
Again, the objective data is that they use a captive internship to artificially inflate their match rates and it's a practitioner focused program but their EPPP pass rates, licensure rates, and other clinical outcomes are below clinical science and other research-focused programs.
Thank you, this response was more constructive and I could see how this would increase their internship match rate but I don't see how it would influence EPPP pass rates or licensure. My only beef has been with the comment that the program has been declining because I have not seen any evidence of that. I am by no means saying it is an outstanding research oriented program, and agree that there are many things wrong with it which raise concerns (excessively high tuition, large cohorts). The truth of the matter is that the program is what you make of it. No one is going to hold your hand and make sure that you pass everything with flying colors. In regards to OP's original comment, If you are competitive and hard working, then you will likely land a non-captive APA accredited internship and be just fine in obtaining licensure. If you frequently find yourself in the bottom 15-20% of your previous programs, then you will likely be throwing your money away. It all depends on your own work ethic and belief in yourself. If you have options to attend a funded program... then take it!! No one is advising against that! Like I said previously, in an ideal world of course we would all like to attend a fully funded PhD program. However, until the amount of funded PhD positions is on par with the demand for clinical psychologists, universities like these will exist to help meet that demand.

Thank you, this response was more constructive and I could see how this would increase their internship match rate but I don't see how it would influence EPPP pass rates or licensure. My only beef has been with the comment that the program has been declining because I have not seen any evidence of that. I am by no means saying it is an outstanding research oriented program, and agree that there are many things wrong with it which raise concerns (excessively high tuition, large cohorts). The truth of the matter is that the program is what you make of it. No one is going to hold your hand and make sure that you pass everything with flying colors. In regards to OP's original comment, If you are competitive and hard working, then you will likely land a non-captive APA accredited internship and be just fine in obtaining licensure. If you frequently find yourself in the bottom 15-20% of your previous programs, then you will likely be throwing your money away. It all depends on your own work ethic and belief in yourself. If you have options to attend a funded program... then take it!! No one is advising against that! Like I said previously, in an ideal world of course we would all like to attend a fully funded PhD program. However, until the amount of funded PhD positions is on par with the demand for clinical psychologists, universities like these will exist to help meet that demand.

I think you overestimate that demand for many locales. I'm not even in what is considered a saturated market and most healthcare orgs do not hire psychologists for therapy. 3 of the largest third party payors are not accepting new psychologists or neuropsychologists to their panels. It's easy for those of us with established reputations, but I wouldn't want to be a newly licensed person in a lot of markets. Always demand in rural areas, but in the mid-size metro and up, the supply is much higher than the demand.

You are absolutely correct. One can get equivalent experience. All I meant was, due to its size and relationships within the SoFlo area, there are tons of sites to choose from in different subspecialties. I've spoken to others from programs around the country who just didn't have as much variety/options is all.
RE the latter part, you are 100% correct there, too. All I meant was, since the person applied to the PsyD vs PhD, I would type less about the research side of things vs practica, not speak less of research, as I'm guessing that's what they care more about. I love research and accept not everyone cares to contribute time to its production. RE Nova and research, is the program a well-known R1? Of course not.

Reactions: 1 users
The great majority of cohorts are PsyDs, and with that, they definitely have lesser experience writing grants, appreciating how grueling research can be, etc. The program does a fairly decent job at teaching kids how to discern issues with methods used, stresses knowledge of psychometrics, discusses issues found in research (e.g., replication troubles), etc.
RE the neuropsych concentration side of things, there are a great number of kids at Nova that avoid the concentration and the person heading it, who's either infamous or famous depending on who you ask. The decisions or associations they and some admin folks make aren't felt too hard by the students (of which I'm sure are fueled by greed) but I also urge you to keep hearing out kids from Nova, and should they be from the concentration, know they're coming from a cult-like atmosphere and offer to help them see what it's like to receive guidance/mentorship that's a bit healthier. People are impressionable, let alone someone in their twenties trying to find their way. People in established institutions all thought fMRI was reliable until someone pressed it may have been given too much stock. I guess all I mean to say is try not to overgeneralize or associate all the kids passionate about neuropsychology with an individual's decisions. Lacking abilities in interviews, though, is a different story.

The great majority of cohorts are PsyDs, and with that, they definitely have lesser experience writing grants, appreciating how grueling research can be, etc. The program does a fairly decent job at teaching kids how to discern issues with methods used, stresses knowledge of psychometrics, discusses issues found in research (e.g., replication troubles), etc.
RE the neuropsych concentration side of things, there are a great number of kids at Nova that avoid the concentration and the person heading it, who's either infamous or famous depending on who you ask. The decisions or associations they and some admin folks make aren't felt too hard by the students (of which I'm sure are fueled by greed) but I also urge you to keep hearing out kids from Nova, and should they be from the concentration, know they're coming from a cult-like atmosphere and offer to help them see what it's like to receive guidance/mentorship that's a bit healthier. People are impressionable, let alone someone in their twenties trying to find their way. People in established institutions all thought fMRI was reliable until someone pressed it may have been given too much stock. I guess all I mean to say is try not to overgeneralize or associate all the kids passionate about neuropsychology with an individual's decisions. Lacking abilities in interviews, though, is a different story.

There is no comparison to the problems with fMRI and the Amen clinic research. fMRI actually started from an empirical basis, and still has one. It's just that people are doing inappropriate analyses. The Amen clinic started from junk science at the get go. Honestly, at the internship/postdoc level, I don't have the time or desire to beat the pseudoscience out of trainees. They made a bad choice, I'm not going to be the one to pay for it. I'd rather spend my time and effort on people who put in the work to get a solid foundation to start with.

Reactions: 4 users
The truth of the matter is that the program is what you make of it. No one is going to hold your hand and make sure that you pass everything with flying colors. In regards to OP's original comment, If you are competitive and hard working, then you will likely land a non-captive APA accredited internship and be just fine in obtaining licensure. If you frequently find yourself in the bottom 15-20% of your previous programs, then you will likely be throwing your money away.

Besides cost, one of the biggest issues frequently cited about NSU is the variance in the quality of the grad students produced from the program. The issue isn't the top 2-3 quartiles, it's the 4th quartile of student who shouldn't have been accepted. Given the larger cohort size, this ends up producing more sub-par graduates than average sized programs.

Using your example, students in the bottom 15-20% in their undergrad or grad program SHOULDN'T make the cut into a doctoral program. It isn't about being elitist, which is a common claim. Instead, it is about ensuring a high quality education. APA accreditation was developed to be the minimum training requirements needed. Unfortunately, some people argued they could establish equivalency, which opened up more spots, which then flooded some geographic areas over the past few decades.

The program would be viewed much better if they slashed the cohort size by atleast 50% (pref. 75%) and did the same to practica sites and faculty. They have some quality faculty (e.g. neuro, substance abuse) and researchers, but again the variance between the top faculty and the bottom faculty is too wide. Same with practica supervisors.

They are uni-based w. some nice connections w. the various health science programs (DO, DDS, NP, etc) and training sites (e.g. jackson memorial), but if you aren't in the handful of students that get those opportunities....it can be a grind. Everyone thinks they will just work hard to be successful....but *everyone* works hard in doctoral programs.

Ultimately, the cost is untenable between the tuition and cost of living in south florida. Tuition was $640/credit when I attended....and I just checked their 2020-2021 tuition estimate is $46k, which is more than double what it cost me per year. Plus ~$7k estimates for uni fees, books, etc. $53k/yr is *nuts*.

Reactions: 5 users
Besides cost, one of the biggest issues frequently cited about NSU is the variance in the quality of the grad students produced from the program. The issue isn't the top 2-3 quartiles, it's the 4th quartile of student who shouldn't have been accepted. Given the larger cohort size, this ends up producing more sub-par graduates than average sized programs.

Using your example, students in the bottom 15-20% in their undergrad or grad program SHOULDN'T make the cut into a doctoral program. It isn't about being elitist, which is a common claim. Instead, it is about ensuring a high quality education. APA accreditation was developed to be the minimum training requirements needed. Unfortunately, some people argued they could establish equivalency, which opened up more spots, which then flooded some geographic areas over the past few decades.

The program would be viewed much better if they slashed the cohort size by atleast 50% (pref. 75%) and did the same to practica sites and faculty. They have some quality faculty (e.g. neuro, substance abuse) and researchers, but again the variance between the top faculty and the bottom faculty is too wide. Same with practica supervisors.

They are uni-based w. some nice connections w. the various health science programs (DO, DDS, NP, etc) and training sites (e.g. jackson memorial), but if you aren't in the handful of students that get those opportunities....it can be a grind. Everyone thinks they will just work hard to be successful....but *everyone* works hard in doctoral programs.

Ultimately, the cost is untenable between the tuition and cost of living in south florida. Tuition was $640/credit when I attended....and I just checked their 2020-2021 tuition estimate is $46k, which is more than double what it cost me per year. Plus ~$7k estimates for uni fees, books, etc. $53k/yr is *nuts*.
I think I have been pretty clear that the price is outrageous so I do not know who you are arguing with here. My point this whole time has been that data in regards to pass rates and licensure/match rates have not shown any indication of trending down over the past decade or two, and likely indicate the opposite. And no not everyone *works hard* in doctorate programs and it’s pretty clear to see that the ones flying under the radar are usually the ones struggling. It was too expensive when you went there and it is too expensive now.

Last edited:
There is no comparison to the problems with fMRI and the Amen clinic research. fMRI actually started from an empirical basis, and still has one. It's just that people are doing inappropriate analyses. The Amen clinic started from junk science at the get go. Honestly, at the internship/postdoc level, I don't have the time or desire to beat the pseudoscience out of trainees. They made a bad choice, I'm not going to be the one to pay for it. I'd rather spend my time and effort on people who put in the work to get a solid foundation to start with.
You are right, they are a poor comparison. You and I seem to share a distaste of quackery. I can also empathize with choosing to spend your time/effort with kids who share the same distaste. I think what I'm trying to elucidate is not everyone from Nova thinks Amen stuff is anything but quackery, and the majority outside neuro don't even know about it. As such, it's an overgeneralization, IMHO. I think you're possibly missing out on a lot of great talent because of past experiences with a select few. I'm sure you're well sought out and have no issue attracting talent, but in the instance you ever do, you may want to reconsider rigidly judging future kids from that program off past ones (especially ones who're pursuing neuropsychology and didn't do the concentration [or felt there wasn't a choice so they could ensure getting courses/opportunities at times reserved for those in a concentration]).

Is it a "bias" if it's a conclusion drawn by the outcome statistics, including their EPPP pass rates and licensure rate?

What about the program's use of captive internship sites to inflate their match rate?

They're purposefully obfuscating the match rate with this tactic, which prevents prospective students from realizing the problems with the program, instead of, you know, actually improving the quality of their program to increase the match rate?

Thus, their match rate is deceptive and therefore isn't really comparable to programs with similar rates that don't rely on captive sites.

Um, this is not a problem at all programs. I may not get along equally well with all faculty in my program (some I rarely see, especially with COVID, and with others I just have cordial, but relatively uninvolved relationships), but it's readily apparent that they are very competent and productive, which is why they hold their positions.

Or you could get an appreciation of this like every other programs does, i.e., through robust didactics, research, and practica. Do you really not see how this is an indictment of Nova's greedy practices in admitting students who are not (maybe never will be) prepared for doctoral training?

This is such a weird spin on having massive cohorts. Individual Nova cohorts are twice as large as my entire program, which is absolutely going to mean you won't get anything close to the kind of mentoring you'd receive in funded programs, though I guess you may not want that if some of the faculty who be mentoring you are questionable, at best.

Is it just a "handful?" That Nova had to start using a captive internship site to gets internship match numbers up beyond 40-50% indicates that it is a broader, more systemic problem.

Also, didn't you just say that this was a good thing that the program admits too many students who are operating below the average for doctoral trainees?

What might those be and are they worth the sticker cost compared to getting those training opportunities by other means, like internship, post doc, or post licensure training?

That "non-empirical studies" are options for the dissertation milestone indicates the insufficiency of Nova's research training, which is a core competency of doctoral training.

This is disingenuous. That there might be some good or even great psychologists coming out of a given program is not the point. It's important to look at modal outcomes and discern whether these people are succeeding because of their program (what is supposed to happen) or in spite of it.

A program should be helping students do these things and not leave it up to them to

The program has a bad reputation based on actual data. Therefore, it's graduates need to demonstrate that they are the exceptions to the poor quality training offered by their program. Compare this to most other psychologists who don't carry around that baggage and their program is an asset to help them and not an albatross around their neck to be overcome.

Pleaseee help me with finding a list of 5 programs, or a website that will help me figure out which PsyD programs have a solid academic layout.
For instance, I heard Illinois Institute of Prof. Psych is a school pushing students out, and collecting their money. Lacking experience and knowledge. But then the company I work for has 4 neuropsychologists that graduated from there and say its great.
I just want an actually immersive doctoral experience. I do NOT want to go to a school just to obtain my degree.

Pleaseee help me with finding a list of 5 programs, or a website that will help me figure out which PsyD programs have a solid academic layout.
For instance, I heard Illinois Institute of Prof. Psych is a school pushing students out, and collecting their money. Lacking experience and knowledge. But then the company I work for has 4 neuropsychologists that graduated from there and say its great.
I just want an actually immersive doctoral experience. I do NOT want to go to a school just to obtain my degree.
To directly answer your question, the PsyD programs that are generally the most well respected are also the ones that are funded (e.g. Rutgers, Baylor); however, these school are almost indistinguishable from funded PhD programs in terms of admission rates/competitiveness and focus on empirical research. I'd recommend searching this forum if you're looking for more info on reputable PsyD programs, since there's a lot of great info already here, but here's an example of one thread:

Separately, though, why are you specifically looking at PsyD programs and not also considering PhD programs (if this is true)? What are your career goals after pursuing this degree? Answering these questions will help everyone on this board give you better advice.

If this is your goal, you should at least be considering funded PhD programs since an immersive experience includes being involved in conducting and publishing original research, psychotherapy and assessment training, and coursework and this will be pretty much guaranteed when attending any funded, APA-accredited clinical or counseling psychology PhD.

As your question suggests, YMMV with PsyD programs. I’d also argue that a truly ‘immersive’ experience might not be possible at a program that enrolls 20+ students each cohort when the average PhD program admits 5-8 a year so that a greater degree of resources can be spent on a smaller group of individuals (e.g., mentorship, quantity of individualized clinical supervision, etc).
But then the company I work for has 4 neuropsychologists that graduated from there and say its great.
Not saying this is the case but people can have subjectively good experiences on something that may be objectively less than ideal. I also definitely would not make a $200,000+ life decision based on potentially biased word of mouth.

I know some Nova graduates and they are all deeply in debt. One works multiple (psychologist) jobs.

A list of what schools you should apply to can't really be generated by someone else - graduate school fit is pretty individualized. I would go to the APA's list of accredited programs (includes both PsyD and PhD) and start looking at websites for information. High quality PsyD programs tend to run more similarly to quality PhD programs, which mean they are university-based (not for-profit), have small cohorts (talking under 10? maybe a little more if they have a large full time faculty?), offer funding (either a stipend or tuition remission, ideally both), and have research opportunities/requirements (maybe less than a PhD, but research still matters). You'll of course also want to pay attention to internship match and licensure data which you can find on program websites.

I believe you can also pay for a subscription through APA with a database that has information for each program. Not sure if it's worth it or accurate. I think most people develop their application list by literally going to every program website in a place that you would live, looking at stats, looking at prof interests, and seeing what looks like a good fit. It's time consuming. After you have that list, then maybe you can verify reputations. But starting with reputations is tough in such a varied field. Good luck!!

What are the Amen clinics? I go to nova and am unfamiliar with this

Some grifter clinic that sells "cures" for the "7-types of ADHD" and TBI for the low, low price of 5 figures plus to many. And at least in the last several years, the neuro applicants from Nova were all over getting posters with his name on it.

This thread has made me the happiest and saddest I’ve been in a while. As a Nova student it is extremely difficult to read a whole thread about all that’s wrong with your program but the saddest part is that it is ALL true. I decided I wanted to be a neuropsychologist early in undergrad and possibly had an idea in high school. 2 major factors played a role in my graduate decision 1. I wanted to be a clinical psychologist (solely do clinical work) and I wanted to focus on Neuro 2. My brother suffered from severe depression and had at least 1 suicide attempt. Knowing I wanted to stay close to my brother and that I did not know the importance of research at this point, my background (very limited research) and high interest in Neuro, my program options were limited to Nova and Carlos Albizu (even worse).

I was accepted (shocking), super excited to start. Fast forward to the first couple semesters and I was in awe. I never thought of myself as “that smart” but I was certainly toward the top of my class in high school and undergrad. However, as I took more and more courses I felt as if I didn’t fit in. I often asked myself “how in the world was this person accepted?” And the truth is that some of them didn’t even meet the requirements advertised. I met multiple students who didn’t meet the GRE “requirement” which was not that high to start with. To top this off I had enrolled in the infamous Neuro concentration (good news, it’s slowly falling apart). The emotional abused we suffered coupled with less than impressive internship match rates almost drove me to quitting the program all together. There was a period during which I realized I had made the worst decision of my life and this was slowly eating me inside. Nonetheless, dropping the program wasn’t such a great ideas either as I would be about 80K in debt and no degree (in hindsight it may have been worth it).

At the time we were to enroll for our first practicum, a close friend of mine and I debated whether to stay in the concentration or do Neuro on our own (we could still take the courses and apply for the Neuro practicum sites). However, we would forgo having a neuropsychologist as a mentor which we worried would hurt our internship applications. By the graces of God it was also at this time that a new neuropsychologist joined the program. My friend and I ran to him and asked him to be our mentor. I had never been so happy and I often expressed my gratitude to him. This was a REAL mentor, we truly learned from him, we were able to talk about internship stuff, early career concerns, etc. My grad school experience surely changed after having him as a mentor and supervisor. I was able to take most of the Neuro courses (the trauma I endured during the concentration didn’t allow me to take the courses offered by that professor) and had good practicums.

Nonetheless, sadly what another member said is very much true for me, I have been successful IN SPITE of my program, most definitely not because of it. I worked as a psychometrist for 3 years with multiple neuropsychologists whom also offered some mentorship. I also did some research (real research not the Amen BS I have since erased from CV), I taught myself SPSS and chose to to an empirical study for my research project (although likely not of the quality it could have been with the right guidance). I also built strong relationships with supervisors, professors, and employers, and I worked countless hours on my essays and cover letters for internship. As if that wasn’t enough I also got a whole other degree in the process JUST to feel like I could compete with other programs. This landed me several interviews, most of the ones I applied to, and was able to match to my second choice, a neuropsychology position at a decently reputable VA. However, now I find myself once again worried about my possibilities for post doc as PsyDs are not preferred, let alone from non-reputable programs. Unfortunately, I will forever struggle with this as I continue my career but there isn’t much I can do anymore other keep finding ways to set myself apart (such as board certification).

I write this not to brag but to point out a few things.
1. To share how miserable and frustrating it is to have to make your own opportunities after paying hundreds of thousands of dollars. So if you’re in this situation, you’re not alone.

2. To caution students against attending programs like this because not only will you be in debt for a long long time but you WILL experience some prejudice (as you can see from some of the posts) and it will be harder (not impossible) to get a good job and achieve your career goals. My personal recommendation is to apply to reputable programs, ideally funded. If you don’t get in the first time that’s ok. You can apply next year and get some extra research experience in the meantime.

3. To show people who are weary of student from these programs and often do not consider them at all for internship, fellowship, or work opportunities. Your behavior is definitely justified as there are very bad apples and I myself would not hire more than half of my cohort. However, there are some good and deserving apples. While it is easy to think (and sometimes true) that most people in these programs are there because they were not good enough for better programs, sometimes there are reasons a TD or faculty would never know and is completely unrelated to their intellect and ability level.

4. To thank those who truly take the take to look at each individual despite their program and work through their biases to give qualified applicants an opportunity. A huge thank you because my training director is an overt league trained Neuropsychologist and because she didn’t disqualify me simply for the program I am from I’m able to get a very good internship experience that will help even out some of my “negatives”
You are right, they are a poor comparison. You and I seem to share a distaste of quackery. I can also empathize with choosing to spend your time/effort with kids who share the same distaste. I think what I'm trying to elucidate is not everyone from Nova thinks Amen stuff is anything but quackery, and the majority outside neuro don't even know about it. As such, it's an overgeneralization, IMHO. I think you're possibly missing out on a lot of great talent because of past experiences with a select few. I'm sure you're well sought out and have no issue attracting talent, but in the instance you ever do, you may want to reconsider rigidly judging future kids from that program off past ones (especially ones who're pursuing neuropsychology and didn't do the concentration [or felt there wasn't a choice so they could ensure getting courses/opportunities at times reserved for those in a concentration]).

Lastly, as I finish my doctorate training, I’m happy to answer any questions for students who might be struggling about what program to join and what path to follow. I really wish I had someone to tell me how the real world works and perhaps I would have taken a different direction had I had such person.

Reactions: 12 users
This thread has made me the happiest and saddest I’ve been in a while. As a Nova student it is extremely difficult to read a whole thread about all that’s wrong with your program but the saddest part is that it is ALL true. I decided I wanted to be a neuropsychologist early in undergrad and possibly had an idea in high school. 2 major factors played a role in my graduate decision 1. I wanted to be a clinical psychologist (solely do clinical work) and I wanted to focus on Neuro 2. My brother suffered from severe depression and had at least 1 suicide attempt. Knowing I wanted to stay close to my brother and that I did not know the importance of research at this point, my background (very limited research) and high interest in Neuro, my program options were limited to Nova and Carlos Albizu (even worse).

I was accepted (shocking), super excited to start. Fast forward to the first couple semesters and I was in awe. I never thought of myself as “that smart” but I was certainly toward the top of my class in high school and undergrad. However, as I took more and more courses I felt as if I didn’t fit in. I often asked myself “how in the world was this person accepted?” And the truth is that some of them didn’t even meet the requirements advertised. I met multiple students who didn’t meet the GRE “requirement” which was not that high to start with. To top this off I had enrolled in the infamous Neuro concentration (good news, it’s slowly falling apart). The emotional abused we suffered coupled with less than impressive internship match rates almost drove me to quitting the program all together. There was a period during which I realized I had made the worst decision of my life and this was slowly eating me inside. Nonetheless, dropping the program wasn’t such a great ideas either as I would be about 80K in debt and no degree (in hindsight it may have been worth it).

At the time we were to enroll for our first practicum, a close friend of mine and I debated whether to stay in the concentration or do Neuro on our own (we could still take the courses and apply for the Neuro practicum sites). However, we would forgo having a neuropsychologist as a mentor which we worried would hurt our internship applications. By the graces of God it was also at this time that a new neuropsychologist joined the program. My friend and I ran to him and asked him to be our mentor. I had never been so happy and I often expressed my gratitude to him. This was a REAL mentor, we truly learned from him, we were able to talk about internship stuff, early career concerns, etc. My grad school experience surely changed after having him as a mentor and supervisor. I was able to take most of the Neuro courses (the trauma I endured during the concentration didn’t allow me to take the courses offered by that professor) and had good practicums.

Nonetheless, sadly what another member said is very much true for me, I have been successful IN SPITE of my program, most definitely not because of it. I worked as a psychometrist for 3 years with multiple neuropsychologists whom also offered some mentorship. I also did some research (real research not the Amen BS I have since erased from CV), I taught myself SPSS and chose to to an empirical study for my research project (although likely not of the quality it could have been with the right guidance). I also built strong relationships with supervisors, professors, and employers, and I worked countless hours on my essays and cover letters for internship. As if that wasn’t enough I also got a whole other degree in the process JUST to feel like I could compete with other programs. This landed me several interviews, most of the ones I applied to, and was able to match to my second choice, a neuropsychology position at a decently reputable VA. However, now I find myself once again worried about my possibilities for post doc as PsyDs are not preferred, let alone from non-reputable programs. Unfortunately, I will forever struggle with this as I continue my career but there isn’t much I can do anymore other keep finding ways to set myself apart (such as board certification).

I write this not to brag but to point out a few things.
1. To share how miserable and frustrating it is to have to make your own opportunities after paying hundreds of thousands of dollars. So if you’re in this situation, you’re not alone.

2. To caution students against attending programs like this because not only will you be in debt for a long long time but you WILL experience some prejudice (as you can see from some of the posts) and it will be harder (not impossible) to get a good job and achieve your career goals. My personal recommendation is to apply to reputable programs, ideally funded. If you don’t get in the first time that’s ok. You can apply next year and get some extra research experience in the meantime.

3. To show people who are weary of student from these programs and often do not consider them at all for internship, fellowship, or work opportunities. Your behavior is definitely justified as there are very bad apples and I myself would not hire more than half of my cohort. However, there are some good and deserving apples. While it is easy to think (and sometimes true) that most people in these programs are there because they were not good enough for better programs, sometimes there are reasons a TD or faculty would never know and is completely unrelated to their intellect and ability level.

4. To thank those who truly take the take to look at each individual despite their program and work through their biases to give qualified applicants an opportunity. A huge thank you because my training director is an overt league trained Neuropsychologist and because she didn’t disqualify me simply for the program I am from I’m able to get a very good internship experience that will help even out some of my “negatives”

Lastly, as I finish my doctorate training, I’m happy to answer any questions for students who might be struggling about what program to join and what path to follow. I really wish I had someone to tell me how the real world works and perhaps I would have taken a different direction had I had such person.
This is sort of off-topic, but I have been writing a guide for students looking into doctoral programs, wherein I am trying to explain what to look for in programs, what counts as a “red flag,” and to explain how fallacious the “I will be the exception to the rule and succeed in this program with a bad reputation” line of thought is. Would you be willing to collaborate with me on addressing some of these issues in my guide? I’d be happy to share what I have with you, and of course I wouldn’t ask you to go beyond what you are willing and able to provide in terms of feedback and time. This is something I’m doing casually in my free time but I do hope to have it published online so that it is free and widely available. Thanks for sharing your experience!

This is sort of off-topic, but I have been writing a guide for students looking into doctoral programs, wherein I am trying to explain what to look for in programs, what counts as a “red flag,” and to explain how fallacious the “I will be the exception to the rule and succeed in this program with a bad reputation” line of thought is. Would you be willing to collaborate with me on addressing some of these issues in my guide? I’d be happy to share what I have with you, and of course I wouldn’t ask you to go beyond what you are willing and able to provide in terms of feedback and time. This is something I’m doing casually in my free time but I do hope to have it published online so that it is free and widely available. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Hi, yes! Feel free to message me with details 😊