Nova Southeastern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calidenti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow predental students.
I'm new to the SDN, and I was wondering if anyone has received an interview from Nova. I have one in December and I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the interview process, or the amount of interviewees that get accepted, or anything at all that may be important to know about the school. thank you soo much for helping me out.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe quite a few people interviewed there on this forum. Mine was last month and i will give a little info. I think they interiew 3 days a week with generally 5 people a day. There was only me and another girl that day. I think they do morning and afternoon interviews depending which day of the week. I arrived at 8:45 for mine. We first ate breakfast with 3 D-1, then went on a tour of the school. We then met briefly with the dean and headed back for our 3 on 1 interview. It lasted appoximately 25 minutes and was pretty laid back. There was the usual questions (why dentistry) and not too much asked about grades or DAT. You will also get an opportunity to talk to Fern and she is a trip. Everyone who has interviewed there know what i am talking about. I was told they are getting more and more applications this year. With this i think their standards(avg stats) for admission are also increasing. More people are finding out about this school and a lot of students accepted at ivy schools are choosing NOVA. I think all 3 of the D-1s i met that day were accepted at other schools. I was told they are going to interview between 300-400 applicants. The class size is 100 so i assume they will send out 150-200 acceptances to fill the slots, but i'm just guessing. It is a really nice school, incredible facilities, but a little pricey. Good luck on your interview!

im sorry, but i'm kinda of new with all the D-1, D3 stuff. what exactly does that mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
D1=freshman (first year dental student)
D2=sophomore (second year dental student)
D3=junior (third year dental student)
D4=senior (fourth year dental student)

hope this helps,

DesiDentist

Calidenti:

Congrats on your interview invitation. Please let me brief you on the details of NOVA interview process:

Nova Dental interviews three times a week:

Tuesday mornings
Thursday afternoons
Friday afternoons

We've been interviewing since October 1, 2002 and will continue to interview until end of March 2003 (at the latest).

If you come on a Tuesday, you will have a "morning" interview day that starts around 8 AM. During your interview day, you'll have breakfast with current dental students and at times the Dean of the dental school will pop in to chat as well. After breakfast, a tour of the campus and the dental building will follow and this is done by the current dental students who ate breakfast with you. After the tour, you'll have a financial aid meeting with a financial aid advisor. After financial aid stuff, you'll then have your interview.

If you come on a Thursday or a Friday, a "afternoon" interview day will be scheduled for you which starts at 12 PM (noon). The format will follow the "morning" interview as mentioned above:

You'll eat => tour => financial aid => interviews

Now, let me tell you about the interviews. The interview format is mostly 3-on-1 (sometimes 2-on-1 or even 4-on-1). This means that you will have 3 interviewers and one interviewee, aka you. The interviewers that interviews you can be members of the admissions committee or faculty of the dental school. Usually length of the interview is ~25 minutes.

Common questions that you'll be asked and you should know the answer to are:

1) Why dentistry or what got you into dentistry?
2) Why Nova?
3) If you have bad grades on your transcript, be prepared to defend your circumstances
4) Be ready to talk about anything that you put in all sections of your AADSAS application
5) What would you do if you do not get accepted this year to dental schools

Also bring questions to your interview. NOTE: bring two or three and not a full list of 25!!!

Example questions to ask your Nova interviewers:

1) Tell me about the recent school and curriculum changes at your dental school in regards to the latest technology (computers, digital x-rays, etc.)?

2) Tell me about the clinical philosophy and exposure at your dental school?

3) Tell me about the research experience that I may experience at your dental school?

4) I noticed that summer school is something new and now apart of the 2003-2004 curriculum, tell me about that, what will we be doing in the summer?

With these questions for Nova's admission interviewers, they will sense your motivation for our school and that you are extremely interested in our school!

Admissions office will only interview ~350 this year and accept ~200 to fill 100 seats (maybe......just maybe 105).

You are either accepted, waitlisted, or denied right after your interview by the 3 members that interviewed you on your interview day. Then the 3 members will make a recommendation for your application "status" (one of three choices) to go before the admissions committee for approval. The admissions committee meets once every two weeks, usually on Wednesdays. Your approval by the admissions committee will then go before the Dean of the dental school for the official acceptance.

The official acceptance will be mail to you in the beginning of December 2002. At Nova, they accept applicants as they interview them, but we simply do not let you know until the beginning of December 2002 of your application status. In another words, for those of you that already have interviewed at Nova more than two weeks ago, the Nova dental school already knows if you're on the accepted, wait, or denied list today.

(If you've already interviewed, please do not call and ask about your application status because you read this post and want to find out before December 1st, because Nova WILL NOT tell you!!! You must wait like the rest of the world)

If you would like to find out more about Nova or my class (first years - D1 - Class of 2006), please feel free to visit our class web site at:

http://groups.msn.com/nsucdmclassof2006

Good luck at your interview as we may meet during your interview day!

Andy:cool:

Hello Yah E
thanks for all the great information. I was wondering if you knew about the hotels around the area. Have you heard any good news about the Best Western Rolling Hills Hotel, or the La Quinta inn and suites in Plantation. Also what do you think I can do to improve my chances at the interview for a better impression. Those questions will help me out alot. Have you heard any super hard questions that you have received. And when they ask you why did you choose Nova when your from California. Thank you soo much for your time in writing back to me.

Calidenti:

Best western would be your best choice, it's close to the school plus you'll receive an amazing complementary breakfast during your stay.

As far as your other questions on how to make a better impression during your interview, you're on your own on that! Just be yourself. On why choose Nova while you're from California....you should know why by now if you applied here.

Good luck!

The interview at NOVA is very casual. I think you should be prepared for the following questions:

1.) Why dentistry?
2.) Why NOVA?
3.) What other schools you interviewed at?
4.) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Have some questions to ask, or you will get done in 15 minutes and that will not look good, but mainly be genuine.

Good luck,

DesiDentist

Don't listen to everyone who says that the interview is laid back and casual. It wasn't for me. I failed freshman Biology and was drilled repeatedly about it. One interviewer wouldn't let it die. One of the other interviewers actually try to relieve the pressure on me by mentioning that my lowest score on any section of the DAT was a 21. The response from the other interviewer, "That's no excuse."

It was disappointing for me because Nova was and still is my first choice. I wish someone had warned me to be more on my toes. With a warning, and not just all the, "its real casual" stuff I might have been prepared for the pressure they put on me.

Even with the chastisement I still loved the place and found the faculty professional and friendly.

Calidenti,

I ended up staying at the best western rolling hills for my interview. I thought it was nice. They have a great pool and free breakfast. They also have a courtesy van that will pick you up from the airport and take you to and from Nova. They will also take you to Sawgrass mall or probably anywhere else with a nice tip. You can see Nova from the hotel. It is about a 15 minute walk, but i don't suggest it wearing a suit because it was pretty hot and you don't want to be sweating unecessarily before the interview. I think the price is like $65 or so.
Hope this helps.

I wanted to let ya all know what my experiences was at the denatal school. The biggest problem is the clinic. The pre-clinic experience rivals all other schools, but the clinical experience has been great for some and down right terrible for others. It just depends on which patients you get matched to by your PCC. In my opiniono, with the economy being so terrible these days, a good clinical program would be one in which accepted medicaid patients. If ya all have any other more specific questions, shoot me a note or reply publicaly on this blog.

Last edited:
Calidenti:

Congrats on your interview invitation. Please let me brief you on the details of NOVA interview process:

Nova Dental interviews three times a week:

Tuesday mornings
Thursday afternoons
Friday afternoons

We've been interviewing since October 1, 2002 and will continue to interview until end of March 2003 (at the latest).

If you come on a Tuesday, you will have a "morning" interview day that starts around 8 AM. During your interview day, you'll have breakfast with current dental students and at times the Dean of the dental school will pop in to chat as well. After breakfast, a tour of the campus and the dental building will follow and this is done by the current dental students who ate breakfast with you. After the tour, you'll have a financial aid meeting with a financial aid advisor. After financial aid stuff, you'll then have your interview.

If you come on a Thursday or a Friday, a "afternoon" interview day will be scheduled for you which starts at 12 PM (noon). The format will follow the "morning" interview as mentioned above:

You'll eat => tour => financial aid => interviews

Now, let me tell you about the interviews. The interview format is mostly 3-on-1 (sometimes 2-on-1 or even 4-on-1). This means that you will have 3 interviewers and one interviewee, aka you. The interviewers that interviews you can be members of the admissions committee or faculty of the dental school. Usually length of the interview is ~25 minutes.

Common questions that you'll be asked and you should know the answer to are:

1) Why dentistry or what got you into dentistry?
2) Why Nova?
3) If you have bad grades on your transcript, be prepared to defend your circumstances
4) Be ready to talk about anything that you put in all sections of your AADSAS application
5) What would you do if you do not get accepted this year to dental schools

Also bring questions to your interview. NOTE: bring two or three and not a full list of 25!!!

Example questions to ask your Nova interviewers:

1) Tell me about the recent school and curriculum changes at your dental school in regards to the latest technology (computers, digital x-rays, etc.)?

2) Tell me about the clinical philosophy and exposure at your dental school?

3) Tell me about the research experience that I may experience at your dental school?

4) I noticed that summer school is something new and now apart of the 2003-2004 curriculum, tell me about that, what will we be doing in the summer?

With these questions for Nova's admission interviewers, they will sense your motivation for our school and that you are extremely interested in our school!

Admissions office will only interview ~350 this year and accept ~200 to fill 100 seats (maybe......just maybe 105).

You are either accepted, waitlisted, or denied right after your interview by the 3 members that interviewed you on your interview day. Then the 3 members will make a recommendation for your application "status" (one of three choices) to go before the admissions committee for approval. The admissions committee meets once every two weeks, usually on Wednesdays. Your approval by the admissions committee will then go before the Dean of the dental school for the official acceptance.

The official acceptance will be mail to you in the beginning of December 2002. At Nova, they accept applicants as they interview them, but we simply do not let you know until the beginning of December 2002 of your application status. In another words, for those of you that already have interviewed at Nova more than two weeks ago, the Nova dental school already knows if you're on the accepted, wait, or denied list today.

(If you've already interviewed, please do not call and ask about your application status because you read this post and want to find out before December 1st, because Nova WILL NOT tell you!!! You must wait like the rest of the world)

If you would like to find out more about Nova or my class (first years - D1 - Class of 2006), please feel free to visit our class web site at:

http://groups.msn.com/nsucdmclassof2006

Good luck at your interview as we may meet during your interview day!

Andy:cool:

What are the 3 levels of hold? What if I have "high hold"?

What are the 3 levels of hold? What if I have "high hold"?

If you are placed on "high hold" or any other type of hold... it is HIGHLY advisable to give them a call (or try your best to in touch with one of them, they don't usually pick up the phone lol).... calling them shows your interest in the school and.... I've heard that they tend to accept people who show most interest

If you are placed on "high hold" or any other type of hold... it is HIGHLY advisable to give them a call (or try your best to in touch with one of them, they don't usually pick up the phone lol).... calling them shows your interest in the school and.... I've heard that they tend to accept people who show most interest

Thanks for the heads up.

Not only is the admissions office impossible to get ahold of, but once you finally reach them they act annoyed by questions and just say they have no additional information..

Not only is the admissions office impossible to get ahold of, but once you finally reach them they act annoyed by questions and just say they have no additional information..

I did not have this experience as the school has answered when I call and I have gotten email responses within 24 every time I have sent one. Try to email if you are not having luck with phoning them. But it would definitely benefit you to show interest in Nova as they have a large waiting list and seem to favor those who express interest.