Novels to Practice for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

islandboy401

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On this forum, I've read that it is a good idea to read novels to improve your reading comprehension skills and also to learn new vocabulary words for the verbal section.

What types of novels would be best to read?

Can someone give me a few names?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think that novels are too long to be of real use. For vocabulary acquisition, they work but that is a long term project. If you want to use them for that, William Faulkner is a nut when it comes to words. He has a high powered vocabulary and he isn't afraid to use it. The Reivers is one of his easier books. I also really like Absolom, Absolom but you have to really pay attention because that is one convoluted story line.

I would think that you would be better off reading magazines like Scientific American though. You just need to pay attention and remember details from short articles, not long novels.

Well, I have at least 2 years to prepare for the PCAT...so I think using books could work....

I have already started reading Science magazines...but I just wanted to do this as well...

Let me know if I don't need to do this.

Well, if you have two years then reading novels will help. Just find books that you like and make sure you look up words you don't know. As long as you are reading novels written for adults, I don't think the specific books matter.