Now were stressed out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.J.D

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well guys......
Should I go to Pakistan for med school? A lot of people tell me there is no prestige in a 3rd world country's mbbs degree. But still guaranteed acceptance and way less years. A lot of people say that's it's a big gamble to get back to the states, but isn't it a bigger gamble to spend FOUR yearsworking hard then just working in a lab for the rest of your life with a B.S in biology. Sounds like B.S to me:D
What should I do folks?

Members don't see this ad.

If you get a degree in another country, plan on practicing there. And getting a college degree isn't a risk. No one is saying you can't get a masters or PhD and go do whatever you want. Teaching is a rewarding career where you help others, just like medicine, for instance.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you want to be a doctor in Pakistan? Go to a Pakistani medical school.

Do you want to be a doctor in the US? Go to an American medical school.

'nuff said.

Well guys......
Should I go to Pakistan for med school? A lot of people tell me there is no prestige in a 3rd world country's mbbs degree. But still guaranteed acceptance and way less years. A lot of people say that's it's a big gamble to get back to the states, but isn't it a bigger gamble to spend FOUR yearsworking hard then just working in a lab for the rest of your life with a B.S in biology. Sounds like B.S to me:D
What should I do folks?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
isn't it a bigger gamble to spend FOUR yearsworking hard then just working in a lab for the rest of your life with a B.S in biology. Sounds like B.S to me:D

Well seeing as around 40% of applicants get accepted to medical schools (even higher if you are an average applicant and apply to DO schools) and I'm guessing far lower than that match from Pakistan. So no it is a much bigger gamble to go to Pakistan. Like you might literally be gambling with a percentage in the single digits.

Did you apply to American schools? Did you apply DO?

Reactions: 1 user
Many threads on related topics OP - you can find these with the search bar.

Please read the post below - this is the rule of thumb.
Do you want to be a doctor in Pakistan? Go to a Pakistani medical school.

Do you want to be a doctor in the US? Go to an American medical school.

'nuff said.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do it. It's risky in more ways than one.

If you get a degree in another country, plan on practicing there. And getting a college degree isn't a risk. No one is saying you can't get a masters or PhD and go do whatever you want. Teaching is a rewarding career where you help others, just like medicine, for instance.
Yea but it's something I just don't want to do for my entire life though.

1. Pakistan and the Middle East as a whole are somewhat unstable right now, in terms of national security. A hospital in Pakistan was bombed today and over 70 people are dead. I don't know you, but I always worry about people moving to the Middle East; my sister lives over there now.

2. It'll be quite difficult to match in the US.

So why are you even thinking about Pakistan? Why are you assuming you won't make it in the US?

This is plain and simple. You received all the advice you need, really. If you want to practice in the US, you gotta jump through all the hoops. No easy way around it.

Then do your best to become a US doctor, there are tons of rewarding careers outside of medicine. Try and look up US match rates for Pakistanian MD's, I would bet there are <1 per year. Now ask yourself, if you are smart enough to be that person who can make it back, why can't you just go to medical school here?

Then do your best to become a US doctor, there are tons of rewarding careers outside of medicine. Try and look up US match rates for Pakistanian MD's, I would bet there are <1 per year. Now ask yourself, if you are smart enough to be that person who can make it back, why can't you just go to medical school here?
Thanks for the advice.

Hey OP, Im a pakistani-american student studying in the US. Honestly I wouldn't suggest it, i have some friends who are studying in pakistan to get an mbbs degree but getting into a residency program in the US would be difficult, but not impossible. Btw are you going into undergrad or finished undergrad?
Going into

Your attitude makes it seem like you can't get into any medical school in 5 years. Why are you rushing? You haven't even finished undergrad yet. If you need to take time off, then do so. It isn't the end of the world. I'm into my first gap year and I love it. Working as a research assistant and it's giving me so much knowledge on the medical field. I don't bring work home and the research

Average age of entering medical students is 24, which means, on average, each medical student takes off 1 year from undergrad to work, apply, live life, etc. Some schools (like the medical school for which I work) has a lower average age (23) while others (like Dartmouth) has a higher average age (I think Dartmouth was ~26-28.)

Last edited by a moderator:
An MBBS takes 6 years abroad, becoming a resident here takes 8 years. But after you earn you MBBS you have to take licensing exams and studying for them by that time and transitioning into residency in the US would take awhile and its not even a guaranteed acceptance. Each year less and less Pakistanis get a match for a residency. If you want the smoothest path to becoming a doctor, do it here in the USA.
Plus, you don't have to major in Biology to become a doctor, if you want a backup plan you can major in something else you're interested. You just need to do your prerequisites.