Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This thread is absolutely stupid. A PA will NEVER replace a pharmacist. Curriculums are completely different and a PA program is maybe 2-2.5 years vs. Typically a 4 year pharmd. I have friends that are physicians and they typically know the drugs within their specialty fairly well, but outside of that we have much superior drug knowledge. I catch MD, PA, ARNP mistakes on a fairly frequent basis. No one is more experienced or educated on medication use than a pharmacist. Med students only get 1 semester of actual pharmacology!
As for in office dispensing, I don't really see this catching on nor do I understand why some do it. Most people have insurance and the margins on rx profits for a single practitioner would be horrible. Also if you want to dispense out of the office then you have to meet all the legal requirements of a pharmacy. Not sure how strictly that is enforced.
PA are in demand now. Will we see an influx of new PA schools? In 5 years will the PAs have saturation? I think it's very logical just like law, pharmacy and nursing have done now.
As for in office dispensing, I don't really see this catching on nor do I understand why some do it. Most people have insurance and the margins on rx profits for a single practitioner would be horrible. Also if you want to dispense out of the office then you have to meet all the legal requirements of a pharmacy. Not sure how strictly that is enforced.
PA are in demand now. Will we see an influx of new PA schools? In 5 years will the PAs have saturation? I think it's very logical just like law, pharmacy and nursing have done now.
I just just picture the reams of paper for med guides and reporting controls to the Rx monitoring programs. And then there's the insurance adjudication and software for maintaining records. Not gonna happen.