NPTE October 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BETPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone taking NPTE next week?

Members don't see this ad.

I ordered the feedback report, because I was curious. If anyone is wondering, passing was 67%, so it was a difficult exam!
I thought the report was free on the FSBPT website starting Nov 10? Is the one you pay for more detailed? Or is the payment mainly to get it earlier?

I didnt pass... Any advices will b appreciated.. hw to study and wht books to follow... feeling devastated
I spent 1 solid month studying for this exam as my state does not offer an option to begin working on a temporary license. I spent roughly 6 hours a day for the first 3 weeks, 14 hours a day for the last week. I bought both the score builders and the therapy ed books, school provided us with 2 PEAT exams. I read through the first 4 chapters of scorebuilders in 2 weeks (musculo, neuro, cardiopulm, and other systems.) For the last two weeks, I took an exam on one day, then reviewed the entire exam the next day. When reviewing, I read all questions (right and wrong) and all of the answers. For each answer, I come up with my own question where that possibility may perhaps be correct (doesnt work for every type of question). As I review, I write down topics that I missed on and will definitely need to go back and review on a sticky note. For example, one of my sticky notes from the first exam has the following: PNF for LEs, Motor Learning and types of practice, splint positioning, nerve tension testing, medications. After I finish reviewing the exam, I went and reviewed the topics that I had listed before I take the next exam that way I never miss questions on that topic again (and if you do, review it again.) This helps me focus on topics that are important (instead of going through the chapters/notes and reviewing with the idea that everything needs to be memorized.) The order I took exams in were ScoreBuilders (71%), TherapyEd (63%), then my first PEAT (631). followed by SB (66%)/TE(69%)/SB(74%)/TE(71%) and my final PEAT (671).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't pass... Any advices will b appreciated.. how to study and what books to follow... feeling devastated

People say Scorebuilders is a good read but it doesn't cover everything. You should stick with TherapyEd. Use other reference books (Magee, Sullivan, Umphred) when you are not sure of a concept. I gave 4 tests overall. I just think it is important that you are thorough with the concepts. No amount of practice will help if there is any loophole in your concepts. So give that time. I used to randomly solve 20-30 questions daily just to get in the flow of solving MCQs. Final words: Concentrate on concepts and you can get through easily!

I thought the report was free on the FSBPT website starting Nov 10? Is the one you pay for more detailed? Or is the payment mainly to get it earlier?

I ordered the performance report. I'm a junky for numbers so I was curious about the pass percentage, my percentage, my percentage in each section, on each system etc... Like the report you get after taking the Peat.

I ordered the performance report. I'm a junky for numbers so I was curious about the pass percentage, my percentage, my percentage in each section, on each system etc... Like the report you get after taking the Peat.

nvm, brain is shutting off. Thought you meant percentage of people who passed.

Passed in MA! Woo congrats to those who passed and to those who didn't - it will be okay!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
under 'status of my result' it says "score withheld"...has anyone else seen this? i'm applying for delaware

This second time around I bought PT final exam home study bundle (if you decide to go this route google a coupon code for it to save money). I felt it was beneficial and covered topics I hadn't previously covered while studying the O'Sullivan review book. I also found the workbook helpful as well. I also followed their suggestion of taking a practice every week or so. So I took about 6 practice tests total this time versus only taking 3 practice the first time. I studied from the Therapy ed book the first time and scorebuilders the second. I would recommend O'Sullivan over Scorebuilders. That's pretty much all I changed from the first time versus this time. Stay positive and stay focused, you can do it!
Thnkz for your support

I spent 1 solid month studying for this exam as my state does not offer an option to begin working on a temporary license. I spent roughly 6 hours a day for the first 3 weeks, 14 hours a day for the last week. I bought both the score builders and the therapy ed books, school provided us with 2 PEAT exams. I read through the first 4 chapters of scorebuilders in 2 weeks (musculo, neuro, cardiopulm, and other systems.) For the last two weeks, I took an exam on one day, then reviewed the entire exam the next day. When reviewing, I read all questions (right and wrong) and all of the answers. For each answer, I come up with my own question where that possibility may perhaps be correct (doesnt work for every type of question). As I review, I write down topics that I missed on and will definitely need to go back and review on a sticky note. For example, one of my sticky notes from the first exam has the following: PNF for LEs, Motor Learning and types of practice, splint positioning, nerve tension testing, medications. After I finish reviewing the exam, I went and reviewed the topics that I had listed before I take the next exam that way I never miss questions on that topic again (and if you do, review it again.) This helps me focus on topics that are important (instead of going through the chapters/notes and reviewing with the idea that everything needs to be memorized.) The order I took exams in were ScoreBuilders (71%), TherapyEd (63%), then my first PEAT (631). followed by SB (66%)/TE(69%)/SB(74%)/TE(71%) and my final PEAT (671).
Thnkzz

Members don't see this ad :)
under 'status of my result' it says "score withheld"...has anyone else seen this? I'm applying for delaware

One of my friends had a similar status in the past. It is generally shown when there is a sharp increase in your score when compared to your previous score if you are a second-time test taker. He eventually passed. If you are a second-time test taker then this could be one of the reasons and you should not worry.

Failed :/ well, i almost knew it cos to be honest i didn't study well, crammed everything at the last minute.Needed to fail since I will take i seriously and I'm gonna study hard and pass next time !
For those who passed - Congrats and Enjoy , You deserve it !! and those who didn't, order the performance reports, know your weaknesses and study hard ! lets pass next time along with me !! :)

I didnt pass... Any advices will b appreciated.. hw to study and wht books to follow... feeling devastated
Stay focused, get the feedback report and study based on the weaknesses you've already discovered on other tests. You will succeed ! Believe in yourself !

Failed :/ well, i almost knew it cos to be honest i didn't study well, crammed everything at the last minute.Needed to fail since I will take i seriously and I'm gonna study hard and pass next time !
For those who passed - Congrats and Enjoy , You deserve it !! and those who didn't, order the performance reports, know your weaknesses and study hard ! lets pass next time along with me !! :)
Yeah lets pass

Congrats to those who passed (esp to okramango, a long-time poster on this board) and welcome to the fold. For those who didn't pass: take some time to grieve, but quickly dust yourself off and prepare for the next test. In a few years, you'll look back at this and feel like it was nothing but a minor bump in your career.

I assume most of you have job offers waiting; the market is generally stronger than I had anticipated. If you are flexible geographically or don't mind working in a rural/semi-rural area, you'll have your pick of jobs. In case you're still interviewing, you can read about my experience and tips here. Since I started working, I've been on a couple of interview boards and I can confirm that we're looking for "fit" above everything else. Where you went to school doesn't matter at all, as long as it's accredited. And if you want to see what others are getting as a starting salary, take a look at the Excel table on this page.

Reactions: 1 users
I failed.... got 597..... 66% and 131 correct questions, passing was 132 or 133. so I wana know should I go for appeal ?

I failed.... got 597..... 66% and 131 correct questions, passing was 132 or 133. so I wana know should I go for appeal ?

I'm not sure your financial situation, but I would. Couldn't hurt. I wouldn't get yourself overly optimistic. An appeal probably won't change anything. But at least you won't have a nagging question in your head wondering what would have happened if you appealed.

And I'm sorry. Getting that score must be so difficult. On the bright side, your score is so close that you can feel pretty confident that with some additional practice, you'll rock the exam next time. Get the performance analysis so you can work on your weak areas and pass with room to spare!

# Items Percent Correct Correct

-- --

37 70%

43 66%

37 65%

17 68%

The above is from my performance analysis, the on track to pass scores.

Seems like 134 to pass?

under 'status of my result' it says "score withheld"...has anyone else seen this? i'm applying for delaware
HI, I have the same status...did u get your results yet??? Im so nervours...what does it mean??? Cant stop crying........OMG!!!!!

Congrats to those who passed (esp to okramango, a long-time poster on this board) and welcome to the fold. For those who didn't pass: take some time to grieve, but quickly dust yourself off and prepare for the next test. In a few years, you'll look back at this and feel like it was nothing but a minor bump in your career.

I assume most of you have job offers waiting; the market is generally stronger than I had anticipated. If you are flexible geographically or don't mind working in a rural/semi-rural area, you'll have your pick of jobs. In case you're still interviewing, you can read about my experience and tips here. Since I started working, I've been on a couple of interview boards and I can confirm that we're looking for "fit" above everything else. Where you went to school doesn't matter at all, as long as it's accredited. And if you want to see what others are getting as a starting salary, take a look at the Excel table on this page.
Thanks jblil! I've always appreciated your posts here and how hard you work to research and provide such great financial resources for new PTs. It's always great seeing other nontrads on these boards too. I'm taking a little down time before the job search but I'll definitely check out and use the resources you posted and am glad to hear the market is still strong. Hope you've been well!

HI, I have the same status...did u get your results yet??? Im so nervours...what does it mean??? Cant stop crying........OMG!!!!!

Still waiting to hear from fsbpt...this wait is killing me.. have emailed them...lets see if i hear back before end of the day

I passed and Cubs win!!!

This was my 3rd time taking the exam for those of you who failed. I'm not the smartest person on this forum but feel free to message me if you need any assistance.

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone help me understand feedback report... i got 569 .. hw does it works?? I need to have 600 plus to pass the exam??

they emailed back with a survey link.... apparently not taking a dumb survey can stop your score.....
I've seen in past threads that if people score significantly higher than they did on past attempts, FSBPT will send a survey as one of the ways to make sure the person didn't cheat. People have said that after they took the survey they received their passing score.

I've seen in past threads that if people score significantly higher than they did on past attempts, FSBPT will send a survey as one of the ways to make sure the person didn't cheat. People have said that after they took the survey they received their passing score.

Its my second time taking the test and in my first time my score was very crappy...I didnt study...I knew nothing...but I have been studing since last November....so I pray for God to help us and hope you are right....

Last edited:
Wow, is that what the survey was for?? I can't even remember if I took one the first time. But I don't think not taking the survey really impacts or withholds your score. There are people who passed who didn't take the survey... at least that's what I thought.

Wow, is that what the survey was for?? I can't even remember if I took one the first time. But I don't think not taking the survey really impacts or withholds your score. There are people who passed who didn't take the survey... at least that's what I thought.
It is not the candidate satisfaction survey that we are talking about...its another one

I passed and Cubs win!!!

This was my 3rd time taking the exam for those of you who failed. I'm not the smartest person on this forum but feel free to message me if you need any assistance.

That is so kind of you. This is my first time leaving message here. Congrats to all who passed and hugs to people who did not pass...unfortunately, I did not pass...this was my 2nd attempt, and I am so heart broken. I would love to hear from you how you studied, especially what changes you made to get a passing score. 1st attempt (July) I scored 583 and this time I scored 594. I would greatly appreciate if anyone would answer my question...this is so painful ;(

Hi,
Does anyone know what the eligible to retest on the fsbpt website means? I filled it and it said I was not eligible to retest. Does it mean I can't retest? This was my first test and I did it under Ohio.

Hey all,
I just wanted to say if anybody needs advice for taking the test again - feel free to message me. When I failed the first time I got a lot of great advice from people on here and it was really awesome support. Don't beat yourself up - the exam doesn't prove anything about you as a person or a PT, it proves if you are a good test taker unfortunately and you will overcome this!! Keep your heads up!! It will be okay :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,
I just wanted to say if anybody needs advice for taking the test again - feel free to message me. When I failed the first time I got a lot of great advice from people on here and it was really awesome support. Don't beat yourself up - the exam doesn't prove anything about you as a person or a PT, it proves if you are a good test taker unfortunately and you will overcome this!! Keep your heads up!! It will be okay :)
Hi thankz so much for ur support... i saw my feedback report i need to work on interventions part.. can u tell me which books are good or u think i shld read to get a hold on it.. i got 569 .. do knw if i will b able to reach 600 plus next time bt will try to give my 100%

Hi,
Does anyone know what the eligible to retest on the fsbpt website means? I filled it and it said I was not eligible to retest. Does it mean I can't retest? This was my first test and I did it under Ohio.
Really? Why wld it says ineligible? Call fsbpt and find out... i hope they dont have another crazy rule

Hi,

You can only take the exam 3 times in a given year, at least in my state. Not sure about other states. I would assume you'll be eligible to retest in a week or so. Call your state board.

That is so kind of you. This is my first time leaving message here. Congrats to all who passed and hugs to people who did not pass...unfortunately, I did not pass...this was my 2nd attempt, and I am so heart broken. I would love to hear from you how you studied, especially what changes you made to get a passing score. 1st attempt (July) I scored 583 and this time I scored 594. I would greatly appreciate if anyone would answer my question...this is so painful ;(

Damn you came close twice. My scores were 559 and 584 respectively. The biggest mistake I made the first time I failed is wait too long to study again. Take the week off but start studying again next week would be my advice (assuming you are taking it again in January 2017). Just 3 hours per day for the first month then ratchet it up as you get closer to the exam. Some people will say "all you need is a month to study"....clearly that isn't us so the sooner you start the better.

I read TherapyEd and Scorebuilders cover to cover and did all the practice exams and quizzes. I also looked at Hillegass' Cardio textbook because that was my weak subject. The book went into greater detail and I feel that helped a lot. When only studying mildly, I downloaded the NPTE PocketPrep app on my phone and went through that as well.

Last edited:
You can only take the exam 3 times in a given year, at least in my state. Not sure about other states. I would assume you'll be eligible to retest in a week or so. Call your state board.

Damn you came close twice. My scores were 559 and 584 respectively. The biggest mistake I made the first time I failed is wait too long to study again. Take the week off but start studying again next week would be my advice (assuming you are taking it again in January 2017). Just 3 hours per day for the first month then ratchet it up as you get closer to the exam. Some people will say "all you need is a month to study"....clearly that isn't us so the sooner you start the better.

I read TherapyEd and Scorebuilders cover to cover and did all the practice exams and quizzes. I also looked at Hillegass' Cardio textbook because that was my weak subject. The book went into greater detail and I feel that helped a lot. When only studying mildly, I downloaded the NPTE PocketPrep app on my phone and went through that as well.

I appreciate for your response :) I took the Will Crane's Mastermind course, and I only read his resources to study (took 8 practice exams-went over every questions). Maybe depending on only one resource was the reason why my score did not go up as I expected. Musculoskeletal and Neuro are the two that I need to work on the most so I'm going to read those chapters on TherapyEd. I wish they give out more practice exams since I used up all the exams but see how it goes this time... thanks again for your time and kindness :) And congrats again for all your dedication and success :)

Did you both take the survey yet? Any word yet? Hope you get good news soon!

One of my friends had a similar status in the past. It is generally shown when there is a sharp increase in your score when compared to your previous score if you are a second-time test taker. He eventually passed. If you are a second-time test taker then this could be one of the reasons and you should not worry.
Do u know how long your friend had to wait until the score was released?

Hi thankz so much for ur support... i saw my feedback report i need to work on interventions part.. can u tell me which books are good or u think i shld read to get a hold on it.. i got 569 .. do knw if i will b able to reach 600 plus next time bt will try to give my 100%

Here is some advice that I have:

It was my second time taking the exam. I used both Scorebuilders/Therapy Ed and used other textbooks to supplement (Magee, Kisner & Colby, O'Sullivan) for specific topics like MS because that was my weaker areas. I set up a study schedule and stuck to it - I studied about 3-4 hours per day, 6 days per week. If I missed a day then I made sure to make it up on other day. I do best studying 2 hours at a time, so I studied in the morning and took a break and then studied at night - it just worked for me better.
I took about 6 practice exams (3 Scorebuilders, 2 PEATs and 1 Therapy Ed) - I took all the therapy Ed's for my first exam which I failed. After taking the practice exams, I went over every question and made note of my strengths/weaknesses and made it a point to cover my weakness before I moved on.

For the second time, I used more of an active approach to studying rather than just reading. Scorebuilders has a lot of active ways to study - I can go over those if you want to try them out. Basically it helped to talk out loud and to use other approaches rather than just reading (I didn't retain as much for my first exam because all I did was read). I think the active studying part made the world of a difference. Also, during practice tests I used to cover the answers to questions and come up with my own answer, and then if my answer was there I went with my gut, unless the other options made more sense. I would think about every question and think through why the answers were not correct, as well as why my answer was correct.

I hope this helps... let me know if you have more questions! You got this :)