NPTE October 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BETPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone taking NPTE next week?

Members don't see this ad.

Here is some advice that I have:

It was my second time taking the exam. I used both Scorebuilders/Therapy Ed and used other textbooks to supplement (Magee, Kisner & Colby, O'Sullivan) for specific topics like MS because that was my weaker areas. I set up a study schedule and stuck to it - I studied about 3-4 hours per day, 6 days per week. If I missed a day then I made sure to make it up on other day. I do best studying 2 hours at a time, so I studied in the morning and took a break and then studied at night - it just worked for me better.
I took about 6 practice exams (3 Scorebuilders, 2 PEATs and 1 Therapy Ed) - I took all the therapy Ed's for my first exam which I failed. After taking the practice exams, I went over every question and made note of my strengths/weaknesses and made it a point to cover my weakness before I moved on.

For the second time, I used more of an active approach to studying rather than just reading. Scorebuilders has a lot of active ways to study - I can go over those if you want to try them out. Basically it helped to talk out loud and to use other approaches rather than just reading (I didn't retain as much for my first exam because all I did was read). I think the active studying part made the world of a difference. Also, during practice tests I used to cover the answers to questions and come up with my own answer, and then if my answer was there I went with my gut, unless the other options made more sense. I would think about every question and think through why the answers were not correct, as well as why my answer was correct.

I hope this helps... let me know if you have more questions! You got this :)
Thankz a lot

My first time taking NPTE and failed (I was working full time, but won't be this time around). I made a new study plan and would like to quiz/talk through topics once a week with a study partner. If anyone is interested in a study partner, please let me know. Thanks! Congrats to all who made it! And good luck on the next to those who didn't, we can do it!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just wanted to tell you alllllll...IIIIIII PAAAASSSSEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just got my results......My God, it feels sooo goood to say that!!!!!! Dont lose hope if you didnt pass....I toke the test October/2015, I didnt study that time...and got a very, very low score...I decided that I was going to pass it in my next try, so I decided to study seriously from November/ 2015 to the very day of the test in October/ 2016....every, every single day from 6 to 10hs/day.....and Im soooo, soooo happy to tell to the whole entire world that I DID IT!!!!!! So, if I could go from a 459 to PASSING...U can do toooooooo!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just wanted to tell you alllllll...IIIIIII PAAAASSSSEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just got my results......My God, it feels sooo goood to say that!!!!!! Dont lose hope if you didnt pass....I toke the test October/2015, I didnt study that time...and got a very, very low score...I decided that I was going to pass it in my next try, so I decided to study seriously from November/ 2015 to the very day of the test in October/ 2016....every, every single day from 6 to 10hs/day.....and Im soooo, soooo happy to tell to the whole entire world that I DID IT!!!!!! So, if I could go from a 459 to PASSING...U can do toooooooo!!!!!!!

Awesome! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
My first time taking NPTE and failed (I was working full time, but won't be this time around). I made a new study plan and would like to quiz/talk through topics once a week with a study partner. If anyone is interested in a study partner, please let me know. Thanks! Congrats to all who made it! And good luck on the next to those who didn't, we can do it!!
Am interested. [email protected]

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all. I did not pass in July 2016 but was able to pass this pass October. If anyone needs advice or tips on how I studied and prepared the 2nd time around feel free to message me!

I ordered the feedback report, because I was curious. If anyone is wondering, passing was 67%, so it was a difficult exam!

Just curious to know, where did you see that the passing was 67% ? I am just wondering how that works as 600 out of 800 is 75% and how can the board show someone with less than 600 marks as passed ?

Just curious to know, where did you see that the passing was 67% ? I am just wondering how that works as 600 out of 800 is 75% and how can the board show someone with less than 600 marks as passed ?
The exam is weighted. It's not a straight X/800, it depends on the difficulty of each question and how it tested.

Hey all,

I received my score report today. At the bottom of the score report it says converted score: 84. Does anybody know what does it mean?

I received my actual license via e-mail in IL! Apparently ILDPFR does not issue a paper version as of this year.
I have not yet received my individual score report.

Might be helpful.

I am foreign trained PT. I studied for 3 months. I did PEATs at the end.

Scorebuilders : 55%, 58%

Therapy Ed : 51%, 55%, 65%

Will Crane's test (ptfinalexam.com) : 71%

PEATs : 70% retired, 71% practice

NPTE first try : 643 ( October 2016)

Congratulations!!!! I myself just failed again too and for the 2nd time. To say I'm overwhelming crushed is an understatement. I'm trying to bounce back. My I ask if you worked during that time as well because I'm trying to figure out if I should find a part-time job just to keep me monetary afloat. But I feel like should I just dedicate myself to just studying since I've shown to be an incompetent test tester :(

Hello, First time posting on this site. I took the NPTE 1st attempt in October 2016 and passed. Was on here to get a sense of how people felt about the exam. I see there are some fellow DPT graduates asking for studying advice for their next attempt. Here is how I studied for the exam and also my scores from scorebuilders and PEAT practice and retired forms
- These are the only two test sources/prep course materials I used besides note/text books AND the SCOREBUILDERS PT CONTENT MASTERS APP -- gold - quick and easy means of studying on the go and for getting snapshot of most pertinent info - I believe big picture that SB does a good job with this info - supplement with other materiasl of course that they mention for more depth - no source is 100% comprehensive i think.

THE main way I used at end if you want to skip the top part -- go to "Post SB exam 3..."

SB Exam 1: 67.5% ( Taken prior to any studying - baseline measure)
SB Exam 2: 71 %
SB Exam 3: 72.5% ( Point of changing study methods)
PEAT Practice exam: 82%
PEAT Retired Form: 89% -- averaging 36-37/40 questions correct of the score questions with areas at or above 700

10.5 week study plan ( non-working) with 2.5-3 weeks between the first, second, and 3rd exams followed by just 2 weeks between subsequent exams.
- I initially followed scorebuilders methods to a "T" - take a test get a baseline, review all questions and rationales while taking note of any pertinent information that I did not know. I labeled all questions I either got wrong/guessed/right for for wrong reasonings as "academic deficits"/"Decision making"/"test taking error - marked wrong box".
- Majority of days on their schedule were dedicated to reviewing the exam with a 3-4 days prior to next exam for content review of my weakest systems and specific subtopic areas.
- example: Neuro: NDT/PNF etc. keeping it to just major system at a time.

Thoughts
: initially as you can see there was some improvement, but I felt that this method became mundane since there is so much information. I was taking way too long to review the exam leaving little real time to review which I felt was more important once you understand how the type of rational the questions typically follow ( 20Q's/day at first up to 30 -- equated to several hours because I took copious notes). PLUS, while reviewing the questions can somewhat be a form of studying for other systems, I believe their is a limit to how much you can spend justs studying one area to see improvement on your results since you neglected everything else.

Post SB exam 3 I changed to a different method:
- Review 50 questions/day at least - write only what was pertinent/rationales etc - not looking up any additional information but rather simply writing topics to look up later on a notecard. -- review of test completed in 3-4 days. - still labeling my questions but the review became a study guide
- Based on timelines - that meant I had up to 10 days prior to the next exam left to review material, HOWEVER while I did focus on my weakest area first I took the approach of dividing each of my days into two topics = 1 MAIN system ( cardiopulm, neuro, musculoskeletal - most questions on exam) and 1 "other system"/"non-system"/safety etc that was also a weaker area.
-- Followed this method after SB 3 and for the two PEAT exams.
Result and thoughts: as you can see My scores sigfniciantly improved from SB exams - you could argue maybe SB was harder? thought there does not seem to be a consensus that this is true necessarily. ( most say O'sullivans is harder - BUT DENSER)
-- or--
I got more out of my time by reviewing essentially the majority of ALL subject areas each time therefore more questions correct overall because I improved in the smaller questions sections in addition to the main systems. With this method I reviewed all of my material essentially 3 times over after SB 3-versus- one weak area for 4 days which can become a race to review the entire chapter -- not productive.

Obviously this method may or may not work for you. I felt that this later method was helpful in keeping information grouped as well as preventing burnout by looking at the same neuro or cardiopulm 4 days straight. Best of luck to all of you whom are endeavoring for their next attempt. contact me if you have further questions. hope this helps.

If you have a classmate or study partner, try this: agree on a general plan of study (e.g., this week review the knee, next week the arm, the week after neuro conditions, etc) then discuss the stuff or the answers to the relevant test questions at the end of the day or every other day. You can use Teamviewer to see your partner, and share your desktop so you guys can look at the same charts or pictures as you talk.

I did that with a classmate who lives about 3 hrs away, and passed on my 1st try. Having another person to discuss things with often made things clearer, for me. Plus you get a different perspective on how to approach a test question. YMMV.

Congratulations!!!! I myself just failed again too and for the 2nd time. To say I'm overwhelming crushed is an understatement. I'm trying to bounce back. My I ask if you worked during that time as well because I'm trying to figure out if I should find a part-time job just to keep me monetary afloat. But I feel like should I just dedicate myself to just studying since I've shown to be an incompetent test tester :(
Hi!! My only job was studying for the test, during all this time... I was very fortunate to have my husband working and letting me dedicate my time to study and taking care of our son.... if you need to keep working while you study for the test, I would probably say that you should wait a little more to take the test so you could study for some more time?.... Also, depending on your past scores you know what is your problem area, if its academic or you're just too nervous when taking the test.....I know how much it sucks not passing, but keep your head up, and think very objectively about what you did wrong the past times, and what you can do to change it....Please, feel free to message me and I can send you the list of books that I used, etc... if I can help in anyway I will be happy to do so!!!

Does anyone know what the "average" score on the NPTE is? Would people mind sharing what score they got on the NPTE?

Last edited: