NPTE prep is frustrating.. and depressing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KITExKURAMA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm planning to take the NPTE on Jan 2017. I started studying three weeks ago and have been taking practice exams every week. I'm not getting any good scores on practice exams (58% & 61% on scorebuilders, and 56% on therapyed). I'm freaking out because based on these scores it doesn't seem like my studying is effective - my scores are not improving; and I only have ~5 wks before the test day. Is that enough time to see any improvements in order to pass the NPTE? Or am I lost cause and should postpone it? My situation is a little complicated. I'm a licensed PT in other country but I'm currently an undergraduate student here in US. And that's the reason why I'm hesitant to postpone the NPTE. The semester just finished so now I have all the time to focus on studying for NPTE. If I decide to take it some other time I feel like I would not have time to focus on NPTE. My goal is to get my license so I can start working at least before I graduate (which is on 2017) because I have to start my student loan (as soon as I graduate). But at the same time I don't want to fail the NPTE that's why I'm having doubts in taking it on January.

Members don't see this ad.

Five weeks to study for the NPTE should be plenty of time, esp. if you have worked as a PT before. Are you having problems with the way the questions are phrased? What did the practice tests reveal, as far as weak areas? If your score is low-ish in all areas, that would point to a "general" problem such as reading comprehension, logical reasoning, etc. You may want to find a study partner. I found it to be very useful as you can bounce ideas off the other person, and explain to each other complicated concepts - which helps with mastering the stuff. Good luck.

You need to change your approach but if you do that now you should be able to pass in five weeks. You need to figure out what you're struggling with: comprehension, critical training, technical knowledge. What are these tests telling you? I studied my wrong answers several times.

@jblil @NewTestament

I want to thank both of you for advice and encouragement. I was seriously considering postponing to take the NPTE because I was very worried. I just checked my result today and I passed! Seeing that word gave me the greatest feeling ever. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user