NRMP match notification on Monday of Match week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you first made this thread you’ve been stunned by the overwhelming negative criticism to your view that the NRMP should hold some responsibility/fault if a student fails to certify. I’m wondering why two weeks later you’re still dug in? This isn’t a 50/50 proposition. Can you just clarify to what extent you believe the students/programs hold the blame for failing to certify?
The applicants/programs should be allowed to certify their most recent saved ROL if they didn’t certify by the deadline. I don’t understand how you misunderstood this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The applicants/programs should be allowed to certify their most recent saved ROL if they didn’t certify by the deadline. I don’t understand how you misunderstood this.
So you still believe that the deadline is arbitrary? Cool. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
The programs also have a million other things to do and sometimes have too many cooks in the kitchen. You only have to take care of you. It sounds like you're trying to find whatever false dichotomy you can just to get the last word. Since obviously no one is going to change their mind on this, it might be best if everyone just agree to disagree.
I dont have a horse in this race, I am one of those neurotic people who certified day 1, but this is definitely not true for everyone. There are a lot of people out there juggling a lot of things in life.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont have a horse in this race, I am one of those neurotic people who certified day 1, but this is definitely not true for everyone. There are a lot of people out there juggling a lot of things in life.

Obviously it is a little hyperbolic, but I meant that strictly with regard to school/match. I don't assume to know what's going on in peoples' personal lives.

That said, I have two kids, a spouse who works, and plenty else going on. But when it's time to submit my GME app, the only thing I'll have on my to do list that day will be that.

This really isnt a radical suggestion. @Dantrolene FC is simply arguing that if an applicant saves a ROL but somehow, for whatever reason, doesnt “certify”, their ROL should be automatically certified at the deadline or they should be permitted to call in and ask to have it certified. Why harm a hard-working person when you dont have to?

This really isnt a radical suggestion. @Dantrolene FC is simply arguing that if an applicant saves a ROL but somehow, for whatever reason, doesnt “certify”, their ROL should be automatically certified at the deadline or they should be permitted to call in and ask to have it certified. Why harm a hard-working person when you dont have to?
The people against this idea are the same people who hold back the progress of other people. These are the people that would have told Elon Musk it was a dumb idea to start Tesla. They would have told Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Bill Gates that computers were a dumb idea. They would have told them to get “real jobs”.

• Okay...
The people against this idea are the same people who hold back the progress of other people. These are the people that would have told Elon Musk it was a dumb idea to start Tesla. They would have told Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Bill Gates that computers were a dumb idea. They would have told them to get “real jobs”.

Dude, you are not Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, or Bill Gates.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Nah. I’m not trying to do that. Just trying to change the culture that seems to expect deadlines to be malleable and personal accountability someone else’s problem..

I worked ten years in the private sector before med school. I had an employee once fail to submit work to a vendor on time. Cost us thousands in rush fees. He had a job and responsibility and failed to complete it. The real world is not the academic bubble you’re still living in. There’s no more asking the professor two weeks before the end of the semester for extra credit cause you failed to do the work the first 12.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
This is a reminder: today 2/23/2020. You have until Wednesday. Choose wisely.

My understanding from post #81 is that people do get reminders.
Medical schools can see which students have certified their lists (I don't believe they can see the lists themselves, just whom has not certified)
GME offices can see which programs have and have not certified their lists.
My understanding is that, if you've certified a list and then edited it (and hence uncertified), the NRMP will allow you to reinstate your last certified list. Some fools inevitably try to change their list 5 minutes before the deadline, and have a computer/internet crash. I expect the same is true of programs.
There will be lots of people with never-certified lists -- those that are withdrawing for personal reasons, matched in another match, visa issues, etc. For the NRMP to reach out to all of them, with enough time to allow them to answer and still process the match, would likely require extension of the match window. Plus if people get a reminder email this week if their list is uncertified and ignore it, I doubt that an email on Thursday would be much more effective.

My bottom line: The NRMP should send some sort of alert email to everyone without a certified list 48 hours before the deadline.

Reactions: 2 users
My understanding from post #81 is that people do get reminders.
Medical schools can see which students have certified their lists (I don't believe they can see the lists themselves, just whom has not certified)
GME offices can see which programs have and have not certified their lists.
My understanding is that, if you've certified a list and then edited it (and hence uncertified), the NRMP will allow you to reinstate your last certified list. Some fools inevitably try to change their list 5 minutes before the deadline, and have a computer/internet crash. I expect the same is true of programs.
There will be lots of people with never-certified lists -- those that are withdrawing for personal reasons, matched in another match, visa issues, etc. For the NRMP to reach out to all of them, with enough time to allow them to answer and still process the match, would likely require extension of the match window. Plus if people get a reminder email this week if their list is uncertified and ignore it, I doubt that an email on Thursday would be much more effective.

My bottom line: The NRMP should send some sort of alert email to everyone without a certified list 48 hours before the deadline.
The bottom line is not unreasonable at all. All of you elder statesmen with your air of superiority forget that many mature adults get reminders for real life things. Paying rent, credit payments, deadlines, etc.

I’m just going to go ahead and lock this thread since it devolved from a simple question to this mess back and forth.

From what we gathered, no you do not get a notification on the Monday of match week telling you if you matched categorical or advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.