NRMP match notification on Monday of Match week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrolene FC

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the extent of our match notification we get on the Monday of Match week? From my understanding all you know is if you matched or not. You don’t even know the specialty.

But does anyone know if it tells you if you matched categorical vs advanced with a prelim?

Members don't see this ad.

Answers this question. As it says, options are:
  • Congratulations, you have matched!
  • Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position!
  • Congratulations, you have matched to a one year position!
  • We are sorry, you did not match to any position!
  • You are NOT matched because you did not submit a certified rank order list!
  • You are NOT matched because you are withdrawn!

Reactions: 1 users

Answers this question. As it says, options are:
  • Congratulations, you have matched!
  • Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position!
  • Congratulations, you have matched to a one year position!
  • We are sorry, you did not match to any position!
  • You are NOT matched because you did not submit a certified rank order list!
  • You are NOT matched because you are withdrawn!
Thanks. I’m guessing if you got a complete match with a prelim and an advanced, you’d probably get the first message.

The fifth message would be absolutely brutal to see. You think they’d notify you after the rank deadline and let you certify it retroactively.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I’m guessing if you got a complete match with a prelim and an advanced, you’d probably get the first message.

The fifth message would be absolutely brutal to see. You think they’d notify you after the rank deadline and let you certify it retroactively.
Yes, it says that exactly:
  • matched to a PGY-1 preliminary and PGY-2 advanced program.

What do you think a deadline is? It’s over by that point

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks. I applied to a few programs that have both categorical and advanced spots and really don’t want the advanced spot

I guess I only have 6 more weeks to wait and learn though. It’s going to be a long 6 weeks, but then again, I had to wait even longer to get my CS results.

I think it’s a bit cruel to ruin someone’s career because they saved their rank list but didn’t certify it.
The same people who that same year will kill someone if they save orders and don’t place them? Nah, they need to be an adult and accomplish the task

Reactions: 14 users
Actually, it won't.

From the NRMP website linked above:

1. Congratulations, you have matched!

This message will be displayed for applicants who

• matched to a categorical, primary, or reserved (physician only) program.

Whether you match to Cat or Adv+Prelim, you get the same message. You'll find out which 4 days later.

Reactions: 4 users
Actually, it won't.

From the NRMP website linked above:

1. Congratulations, you have matched!

This message will be displayed for applicants who

• matched to a categorical, primary, or reserved (physician only) program.

Whether you match to Cat or Adv+Prelim, you get the same message. You'll find out which 4 days later.
Those will be the longest 4 days of my life.

Reactions: 1 user
The same people who that same year will kill someone if they save orders and don’t place them? Nah, they need to be an adult and accomplish the task
The NRMP should say “Dantrolene, we noticed you didn’t certify your rank list. We extended the deadline so you can go back in and certify it.” Just like the nurse will say “Dr. Dantrolene, our patient doesn’t have any orders and I’m concerned about his wellbeing, can you address this?”

A good nurse will not stand around while their patient dies. Why should the NRMP stand around while our careers die?

The NRMP should say “Dantrolene, we noticed you didn’t certify your rank list. We extended the deadline so you can go back in and certify it.” Just like the nurse will say “Dr. Dantrolene, our patient doesn’t have any orders and I’m concerned about his wellbeing, can you address this?”

A good nurse will not stand around while their patient dies. Why should the NRMP stand around while our careers die?
My school told us if we’re nearing the deadline and haven’t certified they will be calling us individually to get it done.

Reactions: 2 users

It’s the most publicized and important date of your entire bleeping year, how much help do you need to accomplish a simple task?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Because it's your responsibility to take care of this, not theirs????

Reactions: 6 users
Out of the ~20k applicants, there are some people who will forget to certify. Heck, there has even been programs who forgot to certify.

Out of the ~20k applicants, there are some people who will forget to certify. Heck, there has even been programs who forgot to certify.
I slept in and missed my exam, why didn’t my professor call me and ask where I was 5 minutes prior?!?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
All right. Fine guys. Let’s just design a system with minimal fail safes. Sounds like the opposite of medicine to me.

• Haha
All right. Fine guys. Let’s just design a system with minimal fail safes. Sounds like the opposite of medicine to me.

I see what you're saying. An email from the NRMP like 1 week or a few days out would be helpful. But I mean, you'd have to be pretty darn aloof or forgetful to not certify your ROL when they give us like 6 weeks. How hard is it to put a reminder on your phone for 2/25 or something?

Reactions: 5 users

or do it now since you’re thinking about it lol

You should certify it right away and then make changes as needed. Recertify every time. What if you get in a car crash or an icicle falls on your head and you spend the next 2 weeks sedated on a vent in the ICU? Just put something in so you avoid the worst case scenario.

Or be a responsible adult. Reductio ad absurdum doesn’t really work here, since you’re essentially arguing that you shouldn’t have the ultimate responsibility for your own career.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

I agree with you and go against the wind here! Would it be so difficult to design a notification like 1 day before the deadline as a reminder if you forgot to certify the list? If it is that high stake, the system should be designed or attempted to design a fail-safe mechanism. If I were the NRMP, I would actually make it so that you cannot log out without certifying the list or something! People who are saying otherwise must never have appreciated a fail-safe mechanism in their lives. I wonder have they ever appreciated autosave function in Microsoft Word at their home that helps prevent loss of their works? Or, for that matter, autocorrect?

However, just to make such things won't happen, I have created three alarms on 3 different days to remind me. AND I have already certified the list

Though to be honest, I am not surprised at the way NRMP runs thing; inconvenience, just for inconvenience's sake, is their middle name.

It’s not the NRMPs responsibility to make sure you certify your list. They have the date listed everywhere including right now on the homepage of the site and in their email saying the rank is open. At what point do you take personal responsibility?

Also, this whole argument is dumb because I highly doubt there is a statistically significant number of people that do this and it’s merely there because it needs to be as a potential outcome.

• Love
You should certify it right away and then make changes as needed. Recertify every time. What if you get in a car crash or an icicle falls on your head and you spend the next 2 weeks sedated on a vent in the ICU? Just put something in so you avoid the worst case scenario.

I think you are the voice inside my head when I can't sleep at night.

To contribute, I don't really understand why they don't just have auto certification at midnight, local time, of the 26th.

Edit: Even CS had autosubmit on the notes if you were still typing when time ran out. CS! The epitome of inconvenient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

From the fact that while it is true that there are programs that are out of the match (it is, however, a minority), would it not be just more sane that when you register for ERAS application the NRMP is already included? What is the reason for ERAS apps and then NRMP application to be separated with its own deadline, that if you miss you are now responsible for an additional 50 dollars? If this does not qualify as bad design or just plain inconvenient, nothing now can ever be!

Last edited:
Anyone else think its obnoxious to put an exclamation mark at the end of a non-match sentence?

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
From the fact that while it is true that there are programs that are out of the match, would not it just more sane that when you register for ERAS application the NRMP is already included? What is the reason for ERAS apps and then NRMP application with its own deadline that if you miss you are now responsible for an additional 50 dollars? I do not know if this does not qualify as bad design or just plain inconvenient, what else can be?
They're totally separate organizations. The NRMP provides the matching service. ERAS is a program of the AAMC and is the main source of people's headaches regarding applications, interviews, etc. Specialties that use the SF match (I guess just ophtho now) or urology match don't even touch the NRMP, aside from prelim years in ophtho.

To contribute, I don't really understand why they don't just have auto certification at midnight, local time, of the 26th.

Edit: Even CS had autosubmit on the notes if you were still typing when time ran out. CS! The epitome of inconvenient.
Good point. I have no idea. I wonder if there is a reason. Maybe it has to do with it being a binding agreement, so it's not valid until you've signed it?

Too many replies to quote each post:

Yes, I have certified my rank list multiple time, and I’m aware of all the deadlines. I am not worried that I’m going to forget to certify my rank list.

But I realize there were 38,000 applicants last year. If there’s been at least one program, Columbia CT surgery, who forgot to certify their list, then I’m sure there have been applicants who forget that as well.

Sure, it’s difficult for us Americans to forget to certify our lists since all our classmates are going through the same process and our schools can remind us. But there are also foreigners entering the match who may be navigating this system by themselves. They may think you can only certify your list once without making any changes at a later date. They may wait until the last day to make a decision. Maybe they don’t realize the time zone changes, or maybe they just forget all together.

Hell, just the fact they have it an automated option to email you saying you didn’t match because you didn’t certify your rank list means it either has happened before, or they think it’s a reasonable outcome.

My point is that with 38,000 people, I think it’s ridiculous to not have a fail-safe in place to prevent someone from wasting $10k+ on interviews, plus a potential loss of career.

Of all the controversial stuff on SDN, parts of which I have been involved with. This topic is the most shocking to me. I figure there would have been unanimous agreement with my side.

tl;dr: I’m not worried I’ll forget to certify my list. I just don’t want my fellow applicants / future collegues to have their careers ruined because they forgot to click a box

Reactions: 3 users
They're totally separate organizations. The NRMP provides the matching service. ERAS is a program of the AAMC and is the main source of people's headaches regarding applications, interviews, etc. Specialties that use the SF match (I guess just ophtho now) or urology match don't even touch the NRMP, aside from prelim years in ophtho.

Good point. I have no idea. I wonder if there is a reason. Maybe it has to do with it being a binding agreement, so it's not valid until you've signed it?

I agree that they are totally separate organization but it remains that the option should be already on the offer when we were applying! For people applying with SF or URO, they can have those options too! Beside the main thrust of the match remains with the NRMP anyway, even for SF or Uro, wouldn't those people still need prelim which are only really in the NRMP?

Also, regarding the autocertify thing, it is a very good idea. It should have been offered as an option with your signature already pre-appended to signify your approval! In the worst-case scenario, whatever list that was saved will be certify to be used for the match. Applicants can just choose not to opt-in with this procedure if they don't like it!

I agree that they are totally separate organization but it remains that the option should be already on the offer when we were applying! For people applying with SF or URO, they can have those options too! Beside the main thrust of the match remains with the NRMP anyway, even for SF or Uro, wouldn't those people still need prelim which are only really in the NRMP?

Also, regarding the autocertify thing, it is a very good idea. It should have been offered as an option with your signature already pre-appended to signify your approval! In the worst-case scenario, whatever list that was saved will be certify to be used for the match. Applicants can just choose not to opt-in with this procedure if they don't like it!
Here’s an even better idea. Make the rank deadline 2/26. On the morning of 2/27 they call the 2 or 3 people who forgot to certify their list, reopen their accounts, and tell them to do it ASAP.

Here’s an even better idea. Make the rank deadline 2/26. On the morning of 2/27 they call the 2 or 3 people who forgot to certify their list, reopen their accounts, and tell them to do it ASAP.

I am trying to come up with a compromisable solution to prevent the extension of the deadline. Many members here are uncomfortable with the idea of special cases with deadline extension that was warned heavily beforehand.

Probably because a significant number of people decide not to match late in the season -- something personal comes up, they get an out of match spot, decide to do a research year, etc. Since the match is binding, I think it's reasonable that you need to certify your list to show you're in.

Not yet mentioned, the NRMP does have a probable "backup". If you certify your list, then change it but don't certify again I believe they will allow you to proceed with your last certified list. Part of the delay between ROL deadline and match day is dealing with this issue.

I do agree that they should send out an email 48 hours in advance alerting people that their list isn't certified.

From the fact that while it is true that there are programs that are out of the match (it is, however, a minority), would it not be just more sane that when you register for ERAS application the NRMP is already included? What is the reason for ERAS apps and then NRMP application to be separated with its own deadline, that if you miss you are now responsible for an additional 50 dollars? If this does not qualify as bad design or just plain inconvenient, nothing now can ever be!
Lots of people apply and get no interviews, or match in one of the other matching programs. Forcing all of them to apply/pay NRMP seems wrong.

tl;dr: I’m not worried I’ll forget to certify my list. I just don’t want my fellow applicants / future collegues to have their careers ruined because they forgot to click a box

But if all you have to do is "click a box" in order to not "have their careers ruined," then you should remember to click a box...

It is no one's fault - nor is it anyone's responsibility - but your own to make sure that you do the things necessary to get through life. This is what being an adult is.

• Love
But I realize there were 38,000 applicants last year. If there’s been at least one program, Columbia CT surgery, who forgot to certify their list, then I’m sure there have been applicants who forget that as well.
No
Hell, just the fact they have it an automated option to email you saying you didn’t match because you didn’t certify your rank list means it either has happened before, or they think it’s a reasonable outcome.
No it doesn’t. It only means it can happen. Also besides Columbia, name another program or individual this has happened to? Don’t you think there would have been some cautionary tale posted on here by now?

No. So you’re telling me, as a medical professional, you think it’s wise to spend the time and resources to solve a “problem” that exists for less than 1% of 1% of applicants?!

Probably because a significant number of people decide not to match late in the season -- something personal comes up, they get an out of match spot, decide to do a research year, etc. Since the match is binding, I think it's reasonable that you need to certify your list to show you're in.

Not yet mentioned, the NRMP does have a probable "backup". If you certify your list, then change it but don't certify again I believe they will allow you to proceed with your last certified list. Part of the delay between ROL deadline and match day is dealing with this issue.

I do agree that they should send out an email 48 hours in advance alerting people that their list isn't certified.

Lots of people apply and get no interviews, or match in one of the other matching programs. Forcing all of them to apply/pay NRMP seems wrong.

I was not as clear in that answer as I was later on. I was more suggesting that there should be an option for the application to the NRMP or other matching services when we were doing the ERAS. If people do not want to do it then, they can do it at later date just like the present system.

For all you people that disagree with me, I am curious as to what you would do if you missed your court date for speeding. Would you hope the judge throws you in jail for 24 hours?

Not a chance! Every single one of you would hire a lawyer to get that extra charge dismissed.

But if all you have to do is "click a box" in order to not "have their careers ruined," then you should remember to click a box...

It is no one's fault - nor is it anyone's responsibility - but your own to make sure that you do the things necessary to get through life. This is what being an adult is.

I agree that ultimately, in this instant, it is the applicants' responsibility to save their careers. However, at the same time, this application is designed by the NRMP so ultimately, it is also the NRMP's responsibility to design their system better. Saying that it is an applicant's duty does not absolve the NRMP from having to do their duty better!!! Responsibility goes both ways!

I do not think that @Dantrolene FC (and certainly not me) is advocating for the revolution of the whole system. I am only asking for the betterment of the present one and what is wrong with that!

Ophtho yes, but urology is a categorical match. Your idea sounds good. I can't imagine the people at NRMP (at least some of whom are extremely smart and in touch with med ed) haven't thought about it. I wonder if there is some other reason they do it the way they do.

As a PD you may know more about this issue, but the NRMP specifically says that it does not store old versions of rank lists once changes are made.

I agree with your other points.

For all you people that disagree with me, I am curious as to what you would do if you missed your court date for speeding. Would you hope the judge throws you in jail for 24 hours?

Not a chance! Every single one of you would hire a lawyer to get that extra charge dismissed.

I wouldn't hope I get thrown in jail but I would recognize that the clearly stated rules apply to me.
USMLE doesn't email you to remind you to buy a flight for your Step 2CS date. The government doesn't call you to remind you to fill out your taxes.
These hypothetical foreign students who have had to navigate the US system have jumped through much more convoluted hoops than clicking a box on the rank list page. I give them more credit than to paint them as the damsels in distress needing to be saved.
If this happened to anyone, I'd guess it is the USMD student who got real lazy during fourth year...

• Love

Last time I got a ticket, there was no reminder of my court date beyond the initial notification. Be a grown-up and not a contrarian, for crying out loud!

• Love
I agree that ultimately, in this instant, it is the applicants' responsibility to save their careers. However, at the same time, this application is designed by the NRMP so ultimately, it is also the NRMP's responsibility to design their system better. Saying that it is an applicant's duty does not absolve the NRMP from having to do their duty better!!! Responsibility goes both ways!

I do not think that @Dantrolene FC (and certainly not me) is advocating for the revolution of the whole system. I am only asking for the betterment of the present one and what is wrong with that!
Because you're an adult about to start making decisions that can profoundly alter people's lives, so asking you to remember to click a box isn't too much to ask of you.

I think a blanket email to everyone a few days before the deadline isn't a bad idea, but a deadline is called a deadline for a reason.

• Love

I actually did miss a court date once. I was accidentally put into the system as having a court date for something (was fighting a ticket), but no notice was sent to me. I wasn’t even aware I had a court date. Needless to say, I was pretty shocked when I came home from work one evening and the cops were at my house. When I went to judge for that, she asked why I missed my court date. Thank God, she was able to see that nothing had been sent to me and that it wasn’t my fault that I didn’t show up and dismissed it.

That would be like if you had to certify a rank list to match, but no one told you what the deadline was and you just randomly got an email in March saying you didn’t match because you didn’t certify in time. THEN I would totally agree with you. But that’s not how it works. The deadline is very well known, and it’s kind of a big deal.

That said, I would not be against an email being automatically sent out a day or week or whatever before the deadline reminding everyone to certify. That wouldn’t be too difficult.

That's what I did 10 years ago. Certified everytime I made any changes.

the NRMP specifically says that it does not store old versions of rank lists once changes are made.

Our school warned us of this situation too
Because you're an adult about to start making decisions that can profoundly alter people's lives, so asking you to remember to click a box isn't too much to ask of you.

I think a blanket email to everyone a few days before the deadline isn't a bad idea, but a deadline is called a deadline for a reason.

Please let us not conflate 2 different matters here. There is on the one side the applicants' responsibility and on the other the NRMP theirs. I am not advocating for the NRMP to be responsible for mine but I am asking that NRMP be responsible for theirs. I still fail to see what is the relation between I being an adult and the NRMP to design their systems better! The fact that med students are going to be professionals with impactful decisions does not negate the NRMP from doing theirs!!! The fact that doctors are the ones responsible for prescription does not abolish the pharmacists from the responsibilities of checking those prescriptions!

In fact, it is doubly so that I am trying to be a responsible adult here to hold the NRMP to their responsibility; which is to design their app (which they have a monopoly) to a better standard. One most often only goes through the match once however, I owe it to those who will come after me to try to see what can be improved.

You, yourself, already agree that a blanket email can a wise thing to do; I only ask the NRMP to do a bit more targeted work here: Send emails to those who have not certified their lists 24 hours before the deadline.

I meant how hard is it to add these lines to their apps:

boolean status = true;
if (!status) {
//nothing
} else {
//send email to applicants: "My dude, you might want to certify your ROL!!!"
}

Our school warned us of this situation too

Please let us not conflate 2 different matters here. There is on the one side the applicants' responsibility and on the other the NRMP theirs. I am not advocating for the NRMP to be responsible for mine but I am asking that NRMP be responsible for theirs. I still fail to see what is the relation between I being an adult and the NRMP to design their systems better! The fact that med students are going to be professionals with impactful decisions does not negate the NRMP from doing theirs!!! The fact that doctors are the ones responsible for prescription does not abolish the pharmacists from the responsibilities of checking those prescriptions!

In fact, it is doubly so that I am trying to be a responsible adult here to hold the NRMP to their responsibility; which is to design their app (which they have a monopoly) to a better standard. One most often only goes through the match once however, I owe it to those who will come after me to try to see what can be improved.

You, yourself, already agree that a blanket email can a wise thing to do; I only ask the NRMP to do a bit more targeted work here: Send emails to those who have not certified their lists 24 hours before the deadline.

I meant how hard is it to add these lines to their apps:

boolean status = true;
if (!status) {
//nothing
} else {
//send email to applicants: "My dude, you might want to certify your ROL!!!"
}
Its not conflating, if I can't trust you to click a box on the most important single document of your medical career then I can't trust you to be a doctor. If you feel differently that's fine.

That said, if you forget a deadline when applying for a medical license renewal, they aren't going to call you up and remind you. One of my partners learned that the hard way last year.

• Love
Its not conflating, if I can't trust you to click a box on the most important single document of your medical career then I can't trust you to be a doctor. If you feel differently that's fine.

That said, if you forget a deadline when applying for a medical license renewal, they aren't going to call you up and remind you. One of my partners learned that the hard way last year.

It is still conflating 2 different responsibility here: med students' responsibility and theirs. You are also now introducing a different topic that has no salient point on this matter: The fact that you can't trust a doctor that can't click a box is neither here nor there in terms of the NRMP's responsibility.

As an aside, I agree that whoever did not certify their ROL after being warned deserves the grave they dig! However, I just want the NRMP to design the system that will warn them first.

With that said, I agree that you are correct: we will never come to aggreement. Let us just agree to disagree.

It is still conflating 2 different responsibility here: med students' responsibility and theirs. You are also now introducing a different topic that has no salient point on this matter: The fact that you can't trust a doctor that can't click a box is neither here nor there in terms of the NRMP's responsibility.

As an aside, I agree that whoever did not certify their ROL after being warned deserves the grave they dig! However, I just want the NRMP to design the system that will warn them first.

With that said, I agree that you are correct: we will never come to aggreement. Let us just agree to disagree.
The nrmp is pretty damn open about the deadline

The NRMP has no additional responsibility. The deadline is easy to see, its well known, and they don't hide it. That's all the responsibility they have for this.

Its like a library book. When you check it out, they tell you when its due back by. They have no responsibility to call you the day before and say "your book is due back by tomorrow or you incur a late fee".

Status
Not open for further replies.