NS FL #5 C/P #5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfsn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen these types of questions before where it asks "What if they thought they were measuring under X conditions when it was actually under Y conditions? How would this change their results?" or something like that, and I am not sure how to keep myself from choosing the wrong answer. Even after thinking about this problem (the question stem and their explanation) for a long time, I can't seem to convince myself of their explanation. It seems like they are asking one thing but then answering the opposite of what they asked for in the question stem. Could anyone help clarify these types of questions for me or suggest a strategy for not falling into such traps in the future?

The problem is copied below.

5. If researchers failed to take into account the effect of air resistance on the pitch, how would it impact their measurements of the efficiency of energy transfer from the arm to the baseball?

A.
It would be lower than the actual efficiency as there was a higher initial velocity at release.

B.
It would be higher than the actual efficiency as there as a higher initial velocity at release.

C.
It would be lower than the actual efficiency as there was a lower initial velocity at release.

D.
It would be higher than the actual efficiency as there was a lower initial velocity at release.

A is correct. This question requires us to examine the experimental setup and determine what effects air resistance would have on the scientists’ calculations. Air resistance would decrease the velocity of the ball as it travels from the mound to home plate, where the velocity was recorded. Thus, the measured velocity should be lower than the velocity at release. The decreased velocity will result in a decreased calculated energy for the baseball, leading to a decreased calculation of efficiency for the energy transfer from the arm to the ball.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the relevant part of the passage, even though it's not really necessary to answer the question. They just talk about how efficiency of energy transfer decreases through each step:
upload_2016-4-18_14-30-3.png

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-18_14-29-10.png
    upload_2016-4-18_14-29-10.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 39
I've seen these types of questions before where it asks "What if they thought they were measuring under X conditions when it was actually under Y conditions? How would this change their results?" or something like that, and I am not sure how to keep myself from choosing the wrong answer. Even after thinking about this problem (the question stem and their explanation) for a long time, I can't seem to convince myself of their explanation. It seems like they are asking one thing but then answering the opposite of what they asked for in the question stem. Could anyone help clarify these types of questions for me or suggest a strategy for not falling into such traps in the future?

The problem is copied below.

5. If researchers failed to take into account the effect of air resistance on the pitch, how would it impact their measurements of the efficiency of energy transfer from the arm to the baseball?

A.
It would be lower than the actual efficiency as there was a higher initial velocity at release.

B.
It would be higher than the actual efficiency as there as a higher initial velocity at release.

C.
It would be lower than the actual efficiency as there was a lower initial velocity at release.

D.
It would be higher than the actual efficiency as there was a lower initial velocity at release.

A is correct. This question requires us to examine the experimental setup and determine what effects air resistance would have on the scientists’ calculations. Air resistance would decrease the velocity of the ball as it travels from the mound to home plate, where the velocity was recorded. Thus, the measured velocity should be lower than the velocity at release. The decreased velocity will result in a decreased calculated energy for the baseball, leading to a decreased calculation of efficiency for the energy transfer from the arm to the ball.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the relevant part of the passage, even though it's not really necessary to answer the question. They just talk about how efficiency of energy transfer decreases through each step:
View attachment 202555
What do you think the right answer should be? Explain your reasoning so we can see where you're going wrong. Or explain what you think is incorrect about choice A.

The efficiency here is essentially just the kinetic energy of the ball divided by the amount of energy put into the throw. At 100% efficiency, all the energy used by the person will be directly translated into the ball's kinetic energy. If the ball only ends up with 50J of KE, and the person used 100J to throw the ball, then the efficiency is 50%. Now, if there's a bunch of air resistance slowing down the ball, then the KE that they measure (.5mv^2) will be smaller because v is smaller, while the person still used the same amount of energy to throw the ball. Thus, they might measure the KE of the ball so be 30J, for example, dropping the measured efficiency to 30% if they don't take air resistance into account. If the researchers did take air resistance into account, they'd realize that some of the ball's KE was lost due to that resistance, and they could correct for that loss by adding some efficiency to the calculated efficiency (adding 20% in this case).

ressurecting this thread for future test takers who might also be confused on this problem.

I think the poster above ^^^ did a great job of explaining the efficiency part of the answer choice.

The confusing part about these answer choices is the way they including higher or lower initial velocity at release. ... I feel like the author's of this question could have done a better job at referencing which scenario for initial velocity. In the correct answer choice, A, they are referencing the velocity of the pitch when ignoring air resistance.... but the question stem referencing a scenario when researchers include air resistance (lower initial velocity). It's confusing for sure

Reactions: 1 user