NSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I went to NSUCOM, I had scrubs from the hospitals I had volunteered/worked at previously... I didn't buy any. Its kind of a waste IMHO... and I thought the Surgery Club scrubs looked kind of goofy with the logo, but to each their own. It is a good way to support the club, I suppose. I would own 5 pairs, just so you're not doing laudnry on them that often... but you can wear them two days in a row without anyone knowing (shhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone). Not that I would do that, I dont' want to be stinky.

The important things to do before you start med school is to just enjoy your time off. Sure, you'll have two or three months during your four years where you'll have absolutely nothing to do, but those are the last times in your entire life. Enjoy what you have now!

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorInSpace said:
.... If you want to wait until you get down here, I can tell you where one of the biggest uniform stores is in the area, and they have a great selection. Everyone I send there has been satisfied (or they haven't told me otherwise). And you may find them cheaper, but $25 a pair is pretty average. And think about it---you get an entire outfit for only $25!! You can't get an outfit of regular clothing for that cheap!

Hi Jill,

I live close by school and would like to go ahead and purchase some scrubs so if you wouldn't mind posting which uniform store you had in mind that would be great. Thanks! :)

Lisa

I was wondering if most current students with financial aid went with the NSU lender (which is ?) for their stafford loans or went with alternate lenders. I heard that the NSU lender has a 3% origination fee whereas other lenders have 1% or no origination fee at all.

In one of the finanical aid packets (or online) I also saw that one of the alternate lenders (Sallie-mae) deferred payment thru residency but the others were deferred until your graduated.

This is my first time getting financial aid so I am a little clueless. :confused: I will be going to the financial aid office this week but I think hearing this info from current students would be helpful.

Thanks ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
lisa,

please keep us posted with what they tell you. :)

www.accessgroup.org
www.nowloans.org

Check those out; a lot of people used them. I had no idea what to do so I just went with salliemae (b/c I used them in undergrad) which has an origination fee - I think those two above dont. Either way, I heard you either pay now and get benefits later or dont pay now and get no benefits later. If I could do it again, I would probably go with no origination fee (I have heard good things about nowloans). I have like 7 sets of different scrubs - one is from the surgical club. I like the set but it is a little big. They are good to buy but not being able to try them on kinda sucks so just be careful about buying all your scrubs there or you may look like a clown all year. :D

War Eagle!
NSUCOM M1

polo8250 said:
Hi Jill,

I live close by school and would like to go ahead and purchase some scrubs so if you wouldn't mind posting which uniform store you had in mind that would be great. Thanks! :)

Lisa

Ok, it is called Discount Uniform Center. 1800 NW 38th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 954-733-3970
From school, this is the easiest way to go. Take University Drive North to Broward Blvd, and head East. At 441/SR7, you North. Go past Sunrise Blvd. At NW19th Street (before Oakland Park Blvd), you will make a right. There is a light there, so it won't be too hard to find. Then make your first right onto NW 38th Avenue. It will be just a little way down on your left hand side.

Let me know if it works out for you.

Jill

I went with www.medpreferred.com it seems that u get the most savings from this lender which does have 10% back. I don't know How reputable they are though

Quote:
"Hey all..
I was wondering if anyone knew when THE last day was to notify NSU that you
were still going to accept. Is May 15th the final day that binds you to the
school? If anyone can provide me with any info that would be great!
[email protected] "

Whassup everyone!
Hey, did you all get the email quoted above? Do we have to notify nsu-com for a final acceptance of the seat in the class or only if we don't want go there we let them know? ( is it by defoult that, if we do not notify that we do not want to go there, we get the seat?)
I am just confused by the email above! Anyone knows more about this? :confused:

Dr.L said:
Quote:
"Hey all..
I was wondering if anyone knew when THE last day was to notify NSU that you
were still going to accept. Is May 15th the final day that binds you to the
school? If anyone can provide me with any info that would be great!
[email protected] "

Whassup everyone!
Hey, did you all get the email quoted above? Do we have to notify nsu-com for a final acceptance of the seat in the class or only if we don't want go there we let them know? ( is it by defoult that, if we do not notify that we do not want to go there, we get the seat?)
I am just confused by the email above! Anyone knows more about this? :confused:

You had to write an acceptance letter to the school with the first 250 dollar deposit. You are in the class if you have done this and setup your following deposits.

Obviously since the person has a NSU email account they are considered part of the class of 2008. The may 15th deadline is the pre-registeration fee and the date that AMCAS has set that all schools see where you have and haven't been acepted to and can start pushing you to selected a final school or drop your acceptance. It has nothing to do with a binding agreement.

AUdacious said:
www.accessgroup.org
www.nowloans.org

Check those out; a lot of people used them. I had no idea what to do so I just went with salliemae (b/c I used them in undergrad) which has an origination fee - I think those two above dont. Either way, I heard you either pay now and get benefits later or dont pay now and get no benefits later. If I could do it again, I would probably go with no origination fee (I have heard good things about nowloans)....

War Eagle!
NSUCOM M1

Thanks for the suggestions AUdacious and 1max2nv. I will check out your recommended lenders! :)

DoctorInSpace said:
Ok, it is called Discount Uniform Center. 1800 NW 38th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 954-733-3970
From school, this is the easiest way to go. Take University Drive North to Broward Blvd, and head East. At 441/SR7, you North. Go past Sunrise Blvd. At NW19th Street (before Oakland Park Blvd), you will make a right. There is a light there, so it won't be too hard to find. Then make your first right onto NW 38th Avenue. It will be just a little way down on your left hand side.

Let me know if it works out for you.

Jill

Thanks for the directions Jill! I will head over there this week. :)

Hey Robz thank you for the info.
I did mail the acceptance letter with my $250 when it was due, that email made me think that we had to write another letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten their vaccinations through NSU's health clinic?!

I have gotten little or no vaccines in my lifetime, and I currently don't have health insurance (woo hoo! :D ).

I'd really like to avoid paying full cost for this, and I wondered if NSU shouldered any of the cost for their incoming students.

Thanks,
NS

Not Shorty

I do believe that the NSU clinic offers vaccines at reduced cost. They have a schedule of when you can get your Hep B shots. I'm not sure about the others (tetanus, DTaP, Hib or any other required vaccine).

You should get something in the mail about the vaccines and getting them at the NSU clinic. If you want to call the student clinic, call 954-262-4100 and ask for Student Health.

anyone know when we could get health insurance through the schooL and how much it costs etc?

I was interested in getting the health insurance since mine will expire at the end of May...so I was told that they are in the process of getting a new health insurance provider and until the schools picks the company it wont be possible to know how much it will cost and when you will be able to sign up. I hope they figure it out soon.

Most people go with either Chickering or SOMA as far as I know but you can go with whoever you want; I dont know anything about a new health provider. I went with Chickering - as long as you go to the NSU clinic (which is between Cedar Key and the school so like two seconds away), your copay is waived but labs aren't covered. Other than the labs, I havent had any issues with chickering but I dont get sick often and go to the clinic for everything I need.

http://www.chickering.com/ Chickering
http://www.studentdo.com/ SOMA

About vaccinations, ditto. I got all of my vaccinations done through the physician I shadowed before orientation. I remember that at the beginning of the year, they put up a schedule for people who hadnt gotten or hadnt finished their Hep B series according to last name to have it finished at the clinic but I dont remember seeing any info about other vaccinations and I think we had to have the others before orientation. I will ask around when I can. I would call admissions and the clinic to see what can be done and when.

Hey everyone,
Been accepted in the class of 2008. I was wondering about the health insurance as well. Does anyone know if you can get family coverage or just for the student?

:) Hello everyone!! I just found out today that I was accepted and am extremely happy to be going to NSU. I was accepted at other schools but I loved everything about NSU. I am so excited to see you all in July!!!! :luck:

sunystudent said:
:) Hello everyone!! I just found out today that I was accepted and am extremely happy to be going to NSU. I was accepted at other schools but I loved everything about NSU. I am so excited to see you all in July!!!! :luck:

Congrats!! Welcome to the NSU family!! Enjoy your time off while you can.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I know Chickering allows family coverage but of course its going to cost you - not sure about SOMA. See you all soon!

NSUCOM M1

Just wondering any New yOrkers/NJ at NSU that fly back often? If so how often do u get a chance to fly back and whats the best airline for students?

1max2nv said:
Just wondering any New yOrkers/NJ at NSU that fly back often? If so how often do u get a chance to fly back and whats the best airline for students?
I'm an ex-NYer but I am pretty sure I can answer your question. I perfer either Jetblue or Southwest Airlines if you want a fairly cheap flight and they both fly into Ft. Lauderdale. It is nice that a lot of airlines fly there because of all the cruise ships there.

Dr.L said:
Hey Robz thank you for the info.
I did mail the acceptance letter with my $250 when it was due, that email made me think that we had to write another letter.

Your welcome! :D

I figure if they need something they will write me.

Lately, the "transcript" police have been after me. I got the letter to send my transcripts when I got my acceptance in December.....then I kinda just let it slip cause I knew Financial Aid is not out until June/July at the earilest. This week I got an email from Mary (who's retiring!) asking for them. OOPS! So, I have sent in 4 out of my 5 schools and holding out on my current school until my finals are over and my spring grades are posted. I'd hate to keep stinking sending the same transcripts over and over. Which I am sure they want to know about my pass/fail 6 hours of internship credits I am taking over the summer as well. :rolleyes:

bgworm said:
Hey everyone,
Been accepted in the class of 2008. I was wondering about the health insurance as well. Does anyone know if you can get family coverage or just for the student?

You can get family coverage under Chickering, but its dang expensive. I ended up *gasp* not getting insurance my last two years of NSUCOM, it was just too expensive. Not very smart to do but I got through it okay. Boy its sure nice though being a resident... now I don't have to fear illness!

I think its an extra 1-2k a year for family.

Q, DO

QuinnNSU said:
You can get family coverage under Chickering, but its dang expensive. I ended up *gasp* not getting insurance my last two years of NSUCOM, it was just too expensive. Not very smart to do but I got through it okay. Boy its sure nice though being a resident... now I don't have to fear illness!

I think its an extra 1-2k a year for family.

Q, DO

Holy Cow! Two years? I did this last year without insurance and I'm damn happy I didn't get ill. That would totally break the bank....

Then again I could pose as a drunk homeless guy that was dying just to come into the Tampa ED to get free health care right?

bumedy bump

hey is anyone on here going to go to the get together that the list serve people are talking about? I'm not and I'm, trying to scrape up my 1000 bucks for my last deposit.

Oh and for those of you wondering (and I knew you were) I got my physical for school and the total cost for an uninsured student was 280 bucks! WOO HOO! Lets hear it for being broke and eating ramen noodles!

ouch... you're right, that is a lot for just a physical.

glad im still under my parent's coverage.

Tap0utt said:
ouch... you're right, that is a lot for just a physical.

glad im still under my parent's coverage.

oh yeah...titers, teatnus shot, and jazz like that was included as well. Definatly bumped the price up...he knew I was a poor student so no unessessary blood lipid panels or jazz like that either. :)

Yikes! That is a lot! I'm glad you said something about it though - I had kind of forgotten that we needed to get that done :oops: That $1000 is also worrying me a little, although my tax refund put me a lot closer than I thought I would get (thank goodness for generous, incredibly supportive parents).

I won't be attending the outing being planned on the list serve, I'm still stuck in Atlanta. :(

kristabel said:
Yikes! That is a lot! I'm glad you said something about it though - I had kind of forgotten that we needed to get that done :oops: That $1000 is also worrying me a little, although my tax refund put me a lot closer than I thought I would get (thank goodness for generous, incredibly supportive parents).

I won't be attending the outing being planned on the list serve, I'm still stuck in Atlanta. :(

Yeah...I almost forgot about the physician checkup that they want by May 15th also. I'm sending that out this week.

I realized that I am going to be bleeding money now. The 180 for the check up, 1000 deposit, 280 for plane flight to find apartment, 100+ for hotel for said search, 100 car rental for search, 85 dollar coat fee, scrub fees and disection kit, rental deposit/security fee, and finally moving costs.

OH MAN........its hurt..........in the wallet........fading fast.......

I had to apply for a credit card so I am awaitng to get that in the mail so I can pay my deposit fee.

P.S. Stuck in Atlanta isn't that bad. I really like that city and like to hang out there every now and then. Ya got a six flags and whitewater water park in Mareitta! (look for the big chicken!)

Robz said:
P.S. Stuck in Atlanta isn't that bad. I really like that city and like to hang out there every now and then. Ya got a six flags and whitewater water park in Mareitta! (look for the big chicken!)

No, Atlanta isn't bad at all - I like it a lot, actually. I'll be sad to leave my family and friends when I move, I'm just ready to move on from my boring admin job and start med school.

I sympathize with your hemorrhaging wallet - mine feels the same. I wish they could give us those loans a little sooner, or not require such a ridiculous deposit. :rolleyes:

At least it is a deposit and not a fee - it goes towards your tuition so you kinda get it back b/c 2k of your tuition is already paid.

War Eagle!

I was trying to do a search, but I can't find the dang-blasted search feature anymore thanks to SDN's new look. :confused:

Anyway, what do you guys think of Davie Crossings apartments? They look pretty good in the pics on oco101.com/nova/ and they're close but not too close to NSU.

All pros and cons are appreciated.

-NS

oh, search appears once you're signed in... :)

Hey! may be you guys have already discussed this, but I just don't seem able to find it any where on this thread.
When is our 85 dollar coat fee due. I looked at those forms that we got on the mail (physical etc) and I did not read anything concerning white coat. :confused:
Anyone knows more about this?
Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Dr.L said:
Hey! may be you guys have already discussed this, but I just don't seem able to find it any where on this thread.
When is our 85 dollar coat fee due. I looked at those forms that we got on the mail (physical etc) and I did not read anything concerning white coat. :confused:
Anyone knows more about this?
Thanks in advance :thumbup:

May 15th.I think they forgot to send that with our admissions packet.

Hopefully someone in the incoming class can give more info, but last year we got an order form in one of our packets for the white coats. If you have not received that order form, please let me know. I'm having a meeting with the one of the people who puts together your packages.....and if none of you are getting the order form.....well, I can look into that for you.

Anyone know anyhting about the broward mall? I have seen its close to NSUCOM when I am looking for apartment places. I just don't knwo the area very well. Is it a Real mall or one of the famous Florida Strip malls?

Robz,

It is a real mall, with several department stores, as well as the normal other stores in a regular mall. There is another one just up the road, Fashion Mall, which is really nice, too.

DoctorInSpace said:
Hopefully someone in the incoming class can give more info, but last year we got an order form in one of our packets for the white coats. If you have not received that order form, please let me know. I'm having a meeting with the one of the people who puts together your packages.....and if none of you are getting the order form.....well, I can look into that for you.

On the class listserve Dr. Whitehead was suprised that we did not have that order form when someone asked about white coats...a week later the form was at my house. That why i think it was suppose to be in the packet. :)

I bought two coats and I guess we get them in the ceremony right?

Robz,

You actually get them during orientation. You will take pictures for the yearbook in the coats. You will bring one with you the day of the White Coat ceremony, and when you get on stage w/9 other people, a faculty member will help you put it on.

:D

DoctorInSpace said:
Robz,

It is a real mall, with several department stores, as well as the normal other stores in a regular mall. There is another one just up the road, Fashion Mall, which is really nice, too.

Now you have my attention.

Could you talk a little more about the malls? :) (you can tell I have priorites right?)

Are they tiny malls or they decent ones? are we talking Macy's or Dillards? :)

aww hell as long as they have a Babbages or Electronics Boutique I'm all good. :)

Robz said:
On the class listserve Dr. Whitehead was suprised that we did not have that order form when someone asked about white coats...a week later the form was at my house.

Good to know. That is exactly who I'm meeting w/on Monday, Dr. Whitehead. Hopefully everyone will get their order forms.

DoctorInSpace said:
Robz,

You actually get them during orientation. You will take pictures for the yearbook in the coats. You will bring one with you the day of the White Coat ceremony, and when you get on stage w/9 other people, a faculty member will help you put it on.

:D

Thats pretty cool. I can imagine that it gets to be a bit repetious doing that part of the ceremony what...20 times to get the class through?

It sounds cool. What did you think of it?

Robz,

At Fashion Mall, I believe they have Macy's and Lord & Taylor. Broward Mall has Burdines (now owned by Macy's anyway), Sears, Dillard......I believe.....and I can't remember of there is another one. We have a Bloomingdales around too, but i forget which mall. There is also a strip mall that has Old Navy and a few others that are pretty good.

Believe me, you will have plenty of malls to choose from! We also have the infamous Sawgrass Mills Mall, which is miles long, and is outlet stores, so you get nice stuff for cheap.

Robz said:
Thats pretty cool. I can imagine that it gets to be a bit repetious doing that part of the ceremony what...20 times to get the class through?

It sounds cool. What did you think of it?

Yeah, 10 people at a time...so about 20 times through. I really enjoyed it. I had my parents, my husband, my brother, and two friends. I have the video as well as pictures. Afterwards, you have lunch at the school, and the parents/friends/family can stick around for a little orientation. We had lunch and then left. The White Coat ceremony is a great opportunity to get pictures w/your white coat, and your family is all gushing on you. Cheesy, but very sweet.

DoctorInSpace said:
Robz,

At Fashion Mall, I believe they have Macy's and Lord & Taylor. Broward Mall has Burdines (now owned by Macy's anyway), Sears, Dillard......I believe.....and I can't remember of there is another one. We have a Bloomingdales around too, but i forget which mall. There is also a strip mall that has Old Navy and a few others that are pretty good.

Believe me, you will have plenty of malls to choose from! We also have the infamous Sawgrass Mills Mall, which is miles long, and is outlet stores, so you get nice stuff for cheap.

Oh...yeah.

If I sound kinda dumb its because I am used to big malls and shopping from when I lived in NY and again a little bit in Orlando. Being back in Knoxville for the last bit...they really don't have large malls or things like that. Its a mid sized city. I figured if you were that close to metro area there would be some great malls...plus you have the tourist population. I feel better now, that they are so close.

I've been to Maryville (close to Knoxville, right?) and there didn't seem like such great malls around......actually, not much of anything. I'm from NY too, and i'm perfectly happy w/the shopping situation down here. And it is all so close to school!!!