NSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They haven't gotten to us yet about any health insurance.

They are suppose to work that out and also give us our first semester schedule pretty soon.

Members don't see this ad.

well, im about to head out from texas and trek all the way to florida tomorrow to find me an apt... hope it's sunny b/c im bringing my swimming shorts. :):thumbup:

Good luck!!! Let us know what you find - I'm not going to get down there until June 19. Have a safe trip and have fun ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
ACK! I can't believe we let this thread get down this far. So, I'm bumping it up!

:clap:

I hope bryant found some great places to live at. We look forward to hearing about it.

So, today I am finally happy that I got all my paperwork finally in, including my transcripts. Now when I log on to webstar I see that I have everyhting cleared and have been admitted to my degree program. Hopefully, this will make the transistion of financial aid an easy one.

I keep seeing that it has me as a nonresident until they finally get though all the residency applications and get to me. (I only put it in the first week of janunary :rolleyes: ) I keep looking at that 52K and realize I am probably going to pull it all out cause I really have no freaking clue how much money I will need. I have done my budget....and its ugly. I mean ugly. Maybe I am shooting high on the budget but when I add in my cell phone, car payment, rent, insurance, and all the other jazz that is associated with life and not just school its a little scary. :scared: Maybe others feel the same way.

So, here I am at my internship for the day and all I can think about is getting on my plane at 6:00am on Friday to go to Fort Lauderdale to search for an apartment. I'm ready to blow this popcicle stand! In fact I have right here in the cubicle with me...a nice big map of the area provided by my hotel I stayed at during my interview. Hmmmmmmmmm. Yup. I can tell I am going to get a lot of "work" done today...:)

School is a little more than 2 months away now!

Robz said:
... I hope bryant found some great places to live at. We look forward to hearing about it...

well, if this is going to be of any help to anyone...

there are still quite a few places around for both 1 bed room and 2 bed room apts. just go up and down the streets near and around the school.

prices that i found to be the norm: (these are not with the discounts that they talk about if you are an NSU student -- if that even makes a difference)

1 bed room ~$800+
-----------
- 800sq ft.
- 1 bathroom
- some will include washer and dryers and some will not

2 bed room ~$1000+
-----------
- 1000-1200 sq ft.
- 2 bathrooms
- some will include washer and dryers and some will not

i dont know if they give this out ot everyone or not but if you mention that you'll be attending NSU, they should knock down the application fee and the deposit for remodeling or something to that effect and usually they give you a free month's rent off -- half off your first month and pro rata (think this was the term they used) the rest into your lease.

i might just go for a condo instead. we'll see... :p

ouch...I just wrote a book on this thread...and it got deleted...I'm a bit upset now

how did it get deleted? sorry to hear your time wasted.

bryant said:
how did it get deleted? sorry to hear your time wasted.

It got delayed when I hit the post button and poof it was gone....I'll write another here in a minute or so, I wanted to post to the listserver for a roommate. :)

It just fustrating cause it was the third time today a webbased email program has lost my long email...UGH

ok....let me try this again with a little more condensed version..

I just got back in from Ft. Lauderdale this morning. Ahhhhh.... Let me tell you it was pretty sweet. I also had some fun adventures.

First off...in apartment hunting there are a lot of places around there. I mainly ended up searching Davie and Plantation.

The places really close to NSU like sunforest and cedar key are well aware that they are in prime locations for students and are in high demand. I can't remember if sunforest gave a small NSU discount but the others in the area gave nothing cause they know they will fill the apartments. With that being said I liked Poniciana Lakes just north of Cedar Key but they have a waiting list for July and only had an apartment for mid June which without financial aid is hard to do.

If your willing not to have a walking distance type of apartment then you can usually go and find a nice deal. A month free and/or application fees waved are some of the normal things. Some have microwaves...some don't. Some have washer and dryers....some don't (like sunforest). Or they might be a stackable duo.

The traffic around the area is kinda busy but I have been commuting for years now and a 8 minute commute for me is nothing versus the 35-40 I have been doing. To save me a 1000+ dollars a year in rent? Hell yeah I am going to do that.

For those of you still unfamiliar with the area here are some highlights I found.

1. NSUCOM is close to a lot of things and when you get on 595 it links a lot.

2. People drive like sh*& around here....practice defensive driving.

3. Broward Mall is very close being just north of the campus and it is a nice shopping center.

4. Sawgrass Mills is a little farther away like 10 mins and it is a freaking behemoth of a shopping center. Absolutely insane on how big it is. I saw shrek 2 there on sunday. (good flick..I still have the hero song stuck in my head)

5. Beach is close...like 20-25 minutes close. Thats from driving to your feet in the sand. Ft. Lauderdale is a nice beach and parking is 1.75 an hour...get your quaters ready.

6. Miami is about 30 minutes away to downtown. This was on a light traffic day on the weekend...I am sure the morning commute on 95 blows monkey checks if you had to do it.

7. I was suprised that NSU was mostly open to just walk around. I thought the building would have been closed on the weekend.

8. There is a lot of crap in this area...you can get almost everything you want. You just have to find it. Thats the trick since most of the places are small mall like and they all have tons of palm trees covering the buildings

9. The quaterdeck across from the campus has a good cajun burger and the chairs swing outside.

10. Los Olas Drive is a really plush shopping and dining area in Ft. Lauderdale. Its nice and goes well with the multimillion dollar mansions around the area.

11. OH...and cheeburger cheeburger has the best milkshakes around. I actually learned this living in Orlando but they closed that store but they have like 3-4 in Ft. Lauderdale....so go there for a great burger and shake.

ok....thats about a synopsis of what I lost in my pervious post.

Hope you give up your spot!

i dont think that will be happening with him

Gee! Can you feel the love here?

I already turned down a spot a Meharry (in Nashville) so I could have stayed in Tennessee.

I'd have to think real hard about UT if I got in off the waitlist....I'm somewhere around 60th now that they have taken 19 people or so.....

Thats a crap load of people still...

I'm going to go play Halo now.

Members don't see this ad :)
ROBZ, I can't fault you for turning down Meharry. UT would obviously make you loose some sleep. ABout our driving down here, if you see someone beeping you and you see a I'm a native bumper sticker, I just gave you some luv!

streak said:
ROBZ, I can't fault you for turning down Meharry. UT would obviously make you loose some sleep. ABout our driving down here, if you see someone beeping you and you see a I'm a native bumper sticker, I just gave you some luv!

Yeah I wasn't impressed with Meharry at all. I could go on but I'll withhold. I will say there were some friendly people there though.

Yeah...the traffic down IN ft. lauderdale blows but hey..I have driven in some of the biggest cities in the US including LA and NYC.....I can honk with the best of em.....

is anyone else interested in getting a laptop? if so what kind?

Robz,
I think I am going with an IBM with wireless capabilities. I plan on setting up a wireless network in my apartment. I have heard Dell has slightly better prices and good tech service. However, if someone has already been dealing with tech support for their new laptop I don't know how well the product is after all.

Cola

Its been quite on these boards lately...not like the email where 8 thousand people are posting their IM names.

Anyway, I am definatly going to be getting a laptop.

First there is wireless ability at school and I'm going to wire up my apartment with a wireless router. I like wi-fi. Teh major reason is if I am forced into a class and I HATE it...I'll log on to SDN or do some other studing in class. Make the best use of time that I can.

I'm probably going to go with a dell and customize the hell out of it. I want video ability and DVD burning ability as well as decent Wi-Fi of course.

I'm debating the different types of processors and video options as I am more unfamiliar with the laptop versions of these.

Robz,
The processor called centrino is the hottest thing out now. However, you will pay for this mobile technology. It uses less power, which means longer battery life each day and less heat. AMD is more affordable. Intel also makes a chip called Pentium 4m. The m is for mobil but it should not be confused with the centrino processor. The pentium 4m is more affordable than the centrino but uses more power.

Cola

Bump...we deserve to be higher up!

I figure since I replied to 6 other threads I might as well bump this up to see whats going on.

Hey everyone, I was just accepted to NSU's Master of biomedical science program, so Ill be taking a lot of the M1 courses with all of you. I look forward to seeing you guys soon!

cool man...I don't know a lot about that program. Does it give you a good shot at being an M1 next year, even retaking the same courses?

doc3341--Congrats!! That is wonderful news. Enjoy your summer

Thanks!! And I look forward to seeing all of you at NSU!

I know that I posted about getting a laptop but I read on another forum that some schools offered an extra discount if you went with dell or gateway though them.

I just checked this out on NSU's website and they offer 10% on top of whatever deal they have going. How sweet is that? Now I really want my financial aid money!

Is it true that we have to buy Palm Pilots for school? Actually, I've heard that they are worked into tuition for the upcoming year.

On a related note, has anyone at Cedar Key been able to access NSU's wireless network from their apartment? I thought I heard a long time ago that the network was accessible up to a half mile from the campus.

Thanks,
NS

Robz,
On top of the discount, I've heard that if you keep your receipt then you can have that amount added to your total financial need so if you are getting full aid and need every penny possible, you might want to look into that.

NotShorty,
Good to see you around again. I was wondering if the wireless reached CedarKey when I moved in last year. An upperclassman walked all over CedarKey with his laptop to see if he could get a connection anywhere for me. He said that unfortuantely, the wireless does not reach any part of CedarKey. I, however, have never tried it myself.

See you all soon.

AUdacious said:
Robz,
On top of the discount, I've heard that if you keep your receipt then you can have that amount added to your total financial need so if you are getting full aid and need every penny possible, you might want to look into that.

Ohhhhhhhhhh...I really might look into that. I am TRYING to keep costs down but seriously I want a good laptop and if I get a great discount on it??? Damn I am all for it! I might give a call about that. Thanks.

is there a limit to how much we can spend?!?!

yes the school gives you a budget and that is what you can take out of the bank.....what AUdacious was saying is that we could possibly show the financial aid people the reciept for the computer and they can allow you to add that to your total budget.

I.E. - the budget for an out of state incoming M1 is capped at 52K. You don't have to take it all but thats the most you can take in a year. This should cover everything from tuition, rent, to replacing your underware that was stolen by the the underware gnomes....(step 3 - PROFIT!)

:D

I'm bored at my internship...so here is something to make you feel warm and fuzzy until you move this summer!!!

http://www.sunny.org/webcam/webcam.html

Fort Lauderdale Beach Report (daily recording): (954) 828-4597

Robz said:
yes the school gives you a budget and that is what you can take out of the bank.....what AUdacious was saying is that we could possibly show the financial aid people the reciept for the computer and they can allow you to add that to your total budget.

I.E. - the budget for an out of state incoming M1 is capped at 52K. You don't have to take it all but thats the most you can take in a year. This should cover everything from tuition, rent, to replacing your underware that was stolen by the the underware gnomes....(step 3 - PROFIT!)

What is the budget for an "in state" M1?

doc3341 said:
What is the budget for an "in state" M1?

from Dr. whithead on the listserve

Attachments

• OST_1_0405.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 185
did anyone else get a billing invoice with quotes on federal sub. and unsub. stafford loans?

bryant said:
did anyone else get a billing invoice with quotes on federal sub. and unsub. stafford loans?

I did and I called to tell them that it wasn't enough to live on for a year...

then they told me nothing as really be awarded yet....

then they informed me that the statement I had was just for the fall semester.

I shut up and am checking daily now for when financial aid is awarded,

Ugh! Webstar still says that I haven't been admitted to a degree program yet - I know they have all of my transcripts, so I'm not sure what's going on there. :confused:

On a happier note, I just got back from vacation in Florida (North Captiva Island, not anywhere near Ft. Lauderdale) and I can't wait to move down there. :love: It makes Atlanta seem downright chilly!

hey robz, can you pm me with wat they stated on urs?

Once Robz gets off the UT waitlist, you can catch him in the allopathic forum!

kristabel said:
Ugh! Webstar still says that I haven't been admitted to a degree program yet - I know they have all of my transcripts, so I'm not sure what's going on there. :confused:

On a happier note, I just got back from vacation in Florida (North Captiva Island, not anywhere near Ft. Lauderdale) and I can't wait to move down there. :love: It makes Atlanta seem downright chilly!

did you do the two things needed for financial aid? You need to do a loan entrance exam and you needed to do a authorization form too. They both had to be in as well....It took me months to figure those out.

I just got off that "not accepted" when I had both my last deposit in AND my transcripts in.

Give them a call..can't hurt!

streak said:
Once Robz gets off the UT waitlist, you can catch him in the allopathic forum!

dude...seriously...I'm in the bottom 1/3 of the waitlist. I doubt I would get in but who knows....I am a man that leaves his options open.

and my options have aready signed a lease for an apartment in Ft lauderdale....near the beach....and huge malls....with cute girls....and near a damn good medical school

bryant said:
hey robz, can you pm me with wat they stated on urs?

its done! :D

I have a friend of mine whos on the waitlist aswell. It sux! :confused:

Robz said:
its done! :D
Robz,

I'm in the same situation you are in. Even though I picked NSUCOM over other schools, I am on the wait list for University of Cincinnati, which is 10 minutes from my home, even though, i'm considered out of state because I live in Kentucky. I feel the same way though, if I was accepted at the last minute, I would have to give it some thought because that is the school that I originally wanted to go to. Although, like you, I have already made living arrangements, and have paid 2,000 in deposits to NSUCOM. Not to mention that I have a friend who was also accepted who I will be rooming with at Sunforest. He'd be pretty pissed if I decided to go elsewhere. That's why I'm kind of hoping that I don't get accepted at UC and then the decision is easy. The beaches, beautiful weather year round, great campus and beautiful women help me to stay strong with NSU as well.

Same boat...... different waters.

Hey DocMiddy,

Are you from Covington or Newport or Ft Thomas? I am from Cincinnati and turned down UC for NSUCOM. PM me if you have any questions.

Doogie

Let's not kid anyone, both DocMiddy and Robz will give up the 2 grand and forget the roomate. If I'm pulled off the alternate list, I will cough up my deposit elswhere. Seriously, 2 g over a lifetime is pennies to be near family and friends.

I'm also on the waitlist for UC....not expecting to get in though. I'm ready to get out of Ohio and down to Florida!!!! :p

Doc Middy said:
Robz,

I'm in the same situation you are in. Even though I picked NSUCOM over other schools, I am on the wait list for University of Cincinnati, which is 10 minutes from my home, even though, i'm considered out of state because I live in Kentucky. I feel the same way though, if I was accepted at the last minute, I would have to give it some thought because that is the school that I originally wanted to go to. Although, like you, I have already made living arrangements, and have paid 2,000 in deposits to NSUCOM. Not to mention that I have a friend who was also accepted who I will be rooming with at Sunforest. He'd be pretty pissed if I decided to go elsewhere. That's why I'm kind of hoping that I don't get accepted at UC and then the decision is easy. The beaches, beautiful weather year round, great campus and beautiful women help me to stay strong with NSU as well.

Same boat...... different waters.

Thanks for the words....there is a LOT of factors for me playing in these decisions. There would be serious discussion about the whole thing on my part. Right now I am playing plausable deniability. :)

There are a LOT of pluses for me and NSU as well to think about too, plus I pretty much am getting everything together this month for my big move.

streak said:
Let's not kid anyone, both DocMiddy and Robz will give up the 2 grand and forget the roomate. If I'm pulled off the alternate list, I will cough up my deposit elswhere. Seriously, 2 g over a lifetime is pennies to be near family and friends.

I'm not going to deny that I would seriously consider it. I had pursued going to UT for years now. For me though...I am closer to family and friends at NSUCOM...also UT is in memphis....I know some people like it there but I am not really a big memphis fan. I do though like that school. I have said before lots of things to think about....tuition also plays a big role.

I'll worry if it ever happens......right now I have enough stress.

Two years ago I drove up to Memphis for Elvis' 25 anniversary of his death. l liked it! I can understand that your under alot of stress. I have the opposite problem in that I have to move from FLA, my home state. I don't understand why NSU is pulling from out of state when it is funded partially by my tax dollars in FLA. By the way, you really don't go to the beach much here as a resident. You're not on vacation.
I don't think there will be anymore great movement on waitlists so we all have to do what we have to do for school.