~~~~~ Nsu - Com Class Of 2009 ~~~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OmedDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just decided this week I will attend NSU-COM next year. Looking forward to meeting other future and currents students. Ft. Lauderdale here I come.. :laugh:

NSU-COM 2009

Members don't see this ad.

That's awesome. I may be seeing you there next year. We have until Dec. 14 before the deposit is due right? I'm almost positive that is where I will be going also (almost 100% sure).

Members don't see this ad :)
dradams said:
That's awesome. I may be seeing you there next year. We have until Dec. 14 before the deposit is due right? I'm almost positive that is where I will be going also (almost 100% sure).

Yeah we have till DEC. 15 to cough up the $750,... looks like I'm a on a budget for a couple of weeks.

Hi everyone,

I just got my acceptance by certified mail today! My first interview & acceptance.

I loved Nova and the surroundings when I was there ten days ago. Can't beat the climate. I will accept and cough up the deposit. The only thing that could draw me away is in-state tuition for $22K less per year.

Irregardless, I will move forward to the next stage in this long journey we are all traveling. What a relief :)

Congrats to all 2009ers :clap:

OrthoFixation said:
Hi everyone,

I just got my acceptance by certified mail today! My first interview & acceptance.

I loved Nova and the surroundings when I was there ten days ago. Can't beat the climate. I will accept and cough up the deposit. The only thing that could draw me away is in-state tuition for $22K less per year.

Irregardless, I will move forward to the next stage in this long journey we are all traveling. What a relief :)

Congrats to all 2009ers :clap:

Congrats and welcome!!

Save yourselves while there is still time....................this place is EVIL........................................anyway, don't freak out, I'm just kidding. this place is awesome. I'm just bitter because I did HORRIBLE on my histo test. just be prepared to study more than I do. good luck everyone.

Hey OmedDOC, I'll be seeing you next year! :) :laugh:

HoodyHoo said:
Save yourselves while there is still time....................this place is EVIL........................................anyway, don't freak out, I'm just kidding. this place is awesome. I'm just bitter because I did HORRIBLE on my histo test. just be prepared to study more than I do. good luck everyone.

Yeah I saw what your were studying monday night....I didn't know you could study gross on a dance floor. :)

again congrats guys on getting in.

be prepared for a lot of hard work but also living in south florida which has some pretty cool perks too.

I am glad you all had a good time visiting campus and its nice to go to a school with so many resources and other health professions as well.

Robz said:
...its nice to go to a school with so many resources and other health professions as well.

if resources include PA chics... then i hear ya brotha... :love:

Fin-Nor said:
if resources include PA chics... then i hear ya brotha... :love:

:laugh: :laugh: Cant wait to see what resources are available to me :thumbup:

When are we supposed to have our official transcripts in? Not for a while right?

Members don't see this ad :)
dradams said:
When are we supposed to have our official transcripts in? Not for a while right?

We have a while to go, I spoke to them and they said that even those still attending class next semester have more than enough time to submit their final transcripts so I'm guessing by next summer they are do..

Plenty of quality studying can be done on the dance floor :cool:
Anyway, congrats all for getting in

Ok, thanks for the info.

I am not positive, but I am pretty sure that I will be joining you in Ft. Lauderdale next year. I may interview at one more school, but I can't imagine it living up to the location and climate of NSU. :)

For anyone interested, Next year I will have a room for rent in a two bedroom apartment.

Rent: $600/month
Deposit: $600
Location: Less than one block to Medical school in University Village Complex (6-7 min walk)

You would have your own room in a 1400 sq. ft. split-level townhome. Also has 2.5 baths.

My girlfriend will be living there so I don't care if you are Male or Female.

I will be an M2 next year so I would prefer living with a medical student or any student in health professions atending NSU next year.

And let me just say that housing is very expensive around here and going up every year, so keep that in mind when you guys look for places to live.

Hoody, did you buy the townhome or do you rent? I am married with one child and am starting to look into housing down there.

dradams said:
Hoody, did you buy the townhome or do you rent? I am married with one child and am starting to look into housing down there.
I just recently bought. It is somewhat difficult to find a place this close (one block) to campus. The campus is pretty much surrounded by rental communities. The community I live in is the one of the only residential communities. There is another place called Rolling Hills that often sell but they are quite expensive.

If you are looking into buying a place, it is as great investment because property has been going up about 15% each year. However, I will tell you that you need to get on the ball, because anytime there is a nice condo available here, people often bid more than the listing price. I offered the list price on two separate places and didn't get a contract for either of them. So, for this last one I offered 2K more than they were asking and finally got a place to live.

If you can afford it, it is pretty much a no-brainer to save money on rent and to have a place that after fours years increases value by 50-75K.

The main residential areas close to school that you can purchase a place are University Village, Rolling Hills, and Arrowhead.

Thanks for the info on locations to buy.

The market if Ft. Lauderdale is crazy. I'm moving down there in early December so my husband will be able to tranfer, and we've been doing our research and decided to buy a place instead of rent. We had to put in 1000 more then the asking price to get the house we wanted (She had a handful of offers to chose from). It's about 15 minutes from campus, in Pembroke Pines, and is a great area also. I found we could get more for our money if we went a little distance from NSU. Goodluck with your hunt!!

otter1812 said:
The market if Ft. Lauderdale is crazy. It's about 15 minutes from campus, in Pembroke Pines, and is a great area also. I found we could get more for our money if we went a little distance from NSU. Goodluck with your hunt!!

This is true, I've been searching for an apartment to move in for this coming January (renting). And I've noticed that if you just search 10-15 minutes away, the rent goes down about $80-100. But I'll keep searching because it really is a great area around there.

OmedDOC said:
This is true, I've been searching for an apartment to move in for this coming January (renting). And I've noticed that if you just search 10-15 minutes away, the rent goes down about $80-100. But I'll keep searching because it really is a great area around there.
I'm subletting my room for 450/month if you're interested for next semester.

HoodyHoo said:
I'm subletting my room for 450/month if you're interested for next semester.

Thanks for the offer HoodyHoo but my girlfriend is also going to be moving in with me so it might be kinda crowded with (4) of us. She's also interested in possibly buying so we're going to keep trying and see where the next couple of months decides to leave us. Thanks again..

OmedDOC said:
Thanks for the offer HoodyHoo but my girlfriend is also going to be moving in with me so it might be kinda crowded with (4) of us. She's also interested in possibly buying so we're going to keep trying and see where the next couple of months decides to leave us. Thanks again..
That's cool, I would recommend buying over renting to anyone that can afford to do so....good luck with it.

What is the general cost of buying a place if you don't mind me asking? Like a condo, townhouse, or small house.

Thanks.

dradams said:
What is the general cost of buying a place if you don't mind me asking? Like a condo, townhouse, or small house.

Thanks.

New condo, adjacent to campus-Rolling Hills, ~1800 SF $325K
~ 5 yr old house, 15 min from campus, 2000 SF $300K
20 yr old house, 20 min from campus, 1500 SF $200K

I've heard deals can be found, just haven't located any yet. 15-20% a year appreciation would be awesome, if I can just find a place suitable with some breathing room for my family of three.

Check out the Sun-Sentinel online, the south Florida newspaper. That is the best cross-section of offerings I have seen.

OrthoFixation said:
New condo, adjacent to campus-Rolling Hills, ~1800 SF $325K
~ 5 yr old house, 15 min from campus, 2000 SF $300K
20 yr old house, 20 min from campus, 1500 SF $200K

I've heard deals can be found, just haven't located any yet. 15-20% a year appreciation would be awesome, if I can just find a place suitable with some breathing room for my family of three.

Check out the Sun-Sentinel online, the south Florida newspaper. That is the best cross-section of offerings I have seen.
I bought my 2 bedroom place for 157K and it is less than one block from school. It is a split-level townhome and is actually very nice. So you can find decent prices, even close to school, it's just really hard to.

Did anyone else recieve the proof of residency package from NSU...wow, its intense. If they ask for any more proof I might have to give them a sibling as collateral :laugh:

HoodyHoo, I'm glad to hear that deals can be found. Were you looking while living there, or visiting and looking when you found your spot?

OmedDOC, Since I'm a Texan, nobody wants proof :sleep:

For you people who plan on attending but not sending in your money until the deadline, did you provide any response to the acceptance letter? From strictly reading the letter, no action is necessary. I called admissions, never got a human and left a VM. Unfortunately, they haven't called back in 2-3 days. Maybe I should write a "I coming your way" letter?

OmedDOC said:
Did anyone else recieve the proof of residency package from NSU...wow, its intense. If they ask for any more proof I might have to give them a sibling as collateral :laugh:

Still nothing here. When did you send in your deposit? :)

OmedDOC said:

Its really intense. I filled out mine in Janunary and they have only one person who works on them. She waits till they are all complete to finish the paperwork and do notifications. I was notified of my residency around my orientation week. :)

otter1812 said:
Still nothing here. When did you send in your deposit? :)

I'm still collecting coins for my deposit so I have not sent it yet. I just recieved the packet yesterday so you'll probably get yours soon.

To the previous post, I am also going to call this week to ask the same question "Is action required if I havent sent my dep. but Im going there", so I will keep you guys updated.

Hey guys, they renovated the COM website. You should check it out, they also came out with the FALL 04 COM OutLook Mag. :thumbup:

i dont know who designs their sites, but...

they sure as hell can put more money into it and definitely use different colors.

I thought the new one looked a hell of a lot better than it did before.

Hey Guys, I know this has probably been asked around several threads but I guess I want to hear it for myself. For those of you in the transitional year (no school), what are you guys doing? working? studying? taking classes? Also, those of you already in DO school, what would you suggest for the off year? Take biochem, anatomy, phys, do nothing, run for president...??? I'm just asking because I have that feeling that I should be doing something more right now (just working).

What do you guys think???

Thx :thumbup:

OmedDOC said:
Hey Guys, I know this has probably been asked around several threads but I guess I want to hear it for myself. For those of you in the transitional year (no school), what are you guys doing? working? studying? taking classes? Also, those of you already in DO school, what would you suggest for the off year? Take biochem, anatomy, phys, do nothing, run for president...??? I'm just asking because I have that feeling that I should be doing something more right now (just working).

What do you guys think???

Thx :thumbup:

I am doing nothing very productive. I am working at a country club as an assistant manage of the golf course and restaurant, fill-in bartend on the weekends, and on my days off at another place. The only medically related anything I am doing is that I shadow @ the ED once a week for 5-10 hours. Personally, I am going to try to brush up on the basic science stuff over the summer...but until then I am just working and saving a bit of $$.

until aug... do nothing, learn nothing.

trust me.

I'm working FT & spending 4 hrs/wk in the ER. That's cut back from previous hrs/wk. Saving money too. Must pad the savings account.

You might want to get your tax stuff lined up and ready to fill out quickly after the W-2's go out. That is input for FAFSA and the earlier completed the better.

Enjoy freedom....freedom is a good thing...

Now I am a slave to my books...and not that pricess leia type either....

I have a question for those current NSU-COM students. I know that the campus is wireless but is there some type of firewall or is internet access unrestricted?

u must setup your wireless card's mac address... until then, you're out of luck

but once you register on the main page your good to go for wireless on campus...

heck a lot of our classmates just hang in the back and webbrose during class...

I am betting they are watching the new star wars trailer or homestar runner!

:)

So there is no firewall? I'm just curious because at my current job web access is highly restricted - I teach at a high school and they block anything that contains certain key words (ie games, aids, sex, etc.). But I imagine it is different there.

dradams said:
So there is no firewall? I'm just curious because at my current job web access is highly restricted - I teach at a high school and they block anything that contains certain key words (ie games, aids, sex, etc.). But I imagine it is different there.

are you trying to surf for pr0n? :laugh:

I guess that didn't come across exactly like I intended. :oops:

No, just wondering because the web access at my current job is about useless because they block almost anything.

To all fellow future NSU Doc Wannabs--What are your plans regarding housing for next year? Buying is definately not an option, I was wondering what others in the same boat are planning to do?

Hey all,,.. I'm back (DSL was down for a couple of days). Thats when I began to think that I really should spend less time on SDN, huh. Anyways, hope all is well everywhere.

To the previous post, I'm moving to Ft. Lauderdale in January. And I'm renting b/c I really dont have the energy to search for a place to buy (that I like). GOOD LUCK with your transition.