NSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally I think it would be a mistake to plan for or predict anything about your admissions status. I know this isn't what you want to hear. This isn't specific to Nova - it's just what applying to med school is like. Nova is doing exactly what all the other schools are doing, except that other schools tend to send you pacifying emails and letters that say "we haven't reached a decision yet but we'll be in touch soon." I get these weekly, meaningless love notes from both MD and DO schools.

You could be in limbo for five more months. If you want to see what happens next, find the 2006 and 2007 "school X interview discussion" threads and watch how individuals updated those threads month after month.

This is the worst part. You will survive it. Avoid trying any addictive substances.

Hmmm. Well thanks for your input. My experience with applying to both MD/DO schools have been a bit different.... I guess I have been fortunate enough to have post-interview acceptances and WL notifications relatively soon after my interview dates - NSU aside of course. I actually withdrew from 3 interviews following my NSU interview - I hope that things eventually turn out in my favor here on the east coast! Thanks again for your input! Keeping the faith alive for something positive coming from NSU in March!!!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

HemaOncoDoc - You seem to have a lot of insite into the NSU admissions process. What do you think of my post above - regarding the post-interview silence that myself and others have been experiencing with NSU? Any words of wisdom is always greatly appreciated.

Hello all! I interviewed 01/22 and I am still awaiting a decision. I know I'm not the only one in this situation... According to Rachael it looks like we have to hold tight until mid-March. Does anyone have any valid insight into this? It seems like some have been waitlisted while others are still waiting for some decision. Is this potentially good news for those still waiting (i.e., are we potentially accepted candidates waiting for NSU to determine how many spots are available before they call or send us our acceptance letters???)? :confused::confused::confused:

Traditionally, like many other schools, NSUCOM overaccepts its incoming class. After March 15th, NSUCOM will get a better understanding of how many open seats will be availabe. At that point, those they wished to accept from the previous month and a half (estimation), will be getting their acceptance letters to fill up the class. They will also be taking people off the waiting list as they review your files.

For those who have yet to hear and those who have been waitlisted. It does not hurt to send a Letter of Intent:

1) Be clear and concise!
2) Let NSUCOM know that they are your first choice, be honest.
3) Highlight why and how NSUCOM will benefit both parties.
4) Send it ASAP by snail mail.

At the very least, it requires the admissions office to open your file again. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Traditionally, like many other schools, NSUCOM overaccepts its incoming class. After March 15th, NSUCOM will get a better understanding of how many open seats will be availabe. At that point, those they wished to accept from the previous month and a half (estimation), will be getting their acceptance letters to fill up the class. They will also be taking people off the waiting list as they review your files.

For those who have yet to hear and those who have been waitlisted. It does not hurt to send a Letter of Intent:

1) Be clear and concise!
2) Let NSUCOM know that they are your first choice, be honest.
3) Highlight why and how NSUCOM will benefit both parties.
4) Send it ASAP by snail mail.

At the very least, it requires the admissions office to open your file again. Best of luck!

Thank you for your response!

Congatulations to all of you accepted to Nova!!! I was accepted to a school in Arizona and must sell/rent my condo. The condo is located 2 miles from the school. Many other Nova pre-professionals live in the complex. If anyone is interested please check out the link... http://century21acaruana.sef.mlxchange.com/4.2.05.20/Tools/MultiImageViewer/MediaViewerDlg.asp?Mode=1&DefaultTab=0&Address=948 0%20TANGERINE%20PL%20%23%20203&SysPropID=302622286 &PageType=&ShowAttachments=0&ShowImages=1&ShowLink s=0
You can contact me via e-mail or phone. Please tell your classmates as well. Congratulations again and good luck!!:D

[email protected]
954-937-6718

How does the waitlist work exactly? I mean, let's say it's March 15 and it's time to decide on some waitlisters to fill a class. Last I heard NSU doesn't rank them, so then how do they choose? Do they go by most recent or oldest apps or just by people that adcoms remember get in? Just curious as to whether being waitlisted late is better than getting waitlisted late.

How does the waitlist work exactly? I mean, let's say it's March 15 and it's time to decide on some waitlisters to fill a class. Last I heard NSU doesn't rank them, so then how do they choose? Do they go by most recent or oldest apps or just by people that adcoms remember get in? Just curious as to whether being waitlisted late is better than getting waitlisted late.
Since the adcom does not rank by number, they re-review each file along with the notes taken during the interview and vote as a council whether to admit students. Therefore, if you had a good interview or added additional information to your file, namely, a LOI or an updated transcript, it will help and perhaps work in your favor.

Best of luck everyone. The 15th is right around the corner.

Hey Hem/Onc, thanks for all the great updates on the computer situation. Hear anything this week?

Hey Hem/Onc, thanks for all the great updates on the computer situation. Hear anything this week?
No problem. OIT is going to be performing wireless testing in the M1 auditorium in the next week. I will hear more during my spring break when I go to council. I'll probably hear something more substantial then. At that time, you will be getting your academic society assignments and unclaimed seats will begin to be filled. Exciting times for incoming year... Enjoy the free time.

so i have a decision to make this week as to paying the second deposit for nova and i thought maybe i could get some input here...i was accepted to nova in december and since then have interviewed at some MDs and have 3 MD interviews left (march and april)...does it seem logical to risk not going to any school and hoping i get into one of those MDs versus paying the huge second deposit for nova and wasting it if i got in somewhere else?? i wouldn't have any qualms about going DO vs MD, but all of my interviews are in the northeast, where im from, and id like to stay near home...what to do what to do??

...does it seem logical to risk not going to any school and hoping i get into one of those MDs versus paying the huge second deposit for nova and wasting it if i got in somewhere else?

Not even a tiny bit logical. Nova's deposit, in the long run, is chump change against having to apply again.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i have a decision to make this week as to paying the second deposit for nova and i thought maybe i could get some input here...i was accepted to nova in december and since then have interviewed at some MDs and have 3 MD interviews left (march and april)...does it seem logical to risk not going to any school and hoping i get into one of those MDs versus paying the huge second deposit for nova and wasting it if i got in somewhere else?? i wouldn't have any qualms about going DO vs MD, but all of my interviews are in the northeast, where im from, and id like to stay near home...what to do what to do??

Don't pay your deposit. There's plenty of people who'd love to take your slot!

In all seriousness, if you don't care whether you go to DO or MD, it's a no brainer. Pay your Nova deposit just incase you don't get into an MD. If you do and decide to go to the MD program, you lose a small deposit in the end of the day. As MidLife said, it's chump change you're worried about. You'll make it back during your first day of professional practice.

Best of luck!

PS - Terrier?? You a BU grad? Let me guess, you did the GMS program?? BU's touch to get into even for the GMSers.

thanks for the input peeps...wise words...yeah im a BU grad, but doing the SMP at georgetown, hence the hoya

Does anybody know where I can find the Technical Standards Certification on the NSU website? I emailed Linda Ferris the other day to make sure everything was in and she said they don't have that from me yet, and it should be in my acceptance packet. It isn't in my packet though, so if anybody knows where I could find it, I'd really appreciate it. :) Thanks!

i know that someone mentioned this earlier, but i only found one response to it... if you get a webstar PIN and username, does that mean you'll be getting an interview? or are there people here that got that without being granted an interview yet?:rolleyes:

It wasn't it my packet either. If you figure out how to access it, please let me know!

In other topics... has anyone received their SAR yet? I submitted by FAFSA, that is complete, and then had to go online to complete NSU's authorization form. Did that-- how long will it take till the SAR is ready?

Also -- what address do you have your college transcripts sent to? The admissions address -- where we sent everything else, or another dept?

Thanks guys! And ok... I'm now 2000 bucks into my M1 tuition! Excited to meet ya'll in July!!

Does anybody know where I can find the Technical Standards Certification on the NSU website? I emailed Linda Ferris the other day to make sure everything was in and she said they don't have that from me yet, and it should be in my acceptance packet. It isn't in my packet though, so if anybody knows where I could find it, I'd really appreciate it. :) Thanks!

It wasn't it my packet either. If you figure out how to access it, please let me know!

In other topics... has anyone received their SAR yet? I submitted by FAFSA, that is complete, and then had to go online to complete NSU's authorization form. Did that-- how long will it take till the SAR is ready?

Also -- what address do you have your college transcripts sent to? The admissions address -- where we sent everything else, or another dept?

Thanks guys! And ok... I'm now 2000 bucks into my M1 tuition! Excited to meet ya'll in July!!
In your acceptance package, it should have told you where to send your transcripts to. They are sent to a central location where they are processed and presented online for the admissions office to see.

Does anyone know where to find information about NSU's residency placement stats, such as where people are placed and in what specialty?

I spoke with someone from Financial Aid a few months ago and she said that they don't usually send out SARs until May.

Nate.

anyone know where i can find an academic calendar for 08-09?

I can't remember how to pay my deposit online! I know it's through WebStar, but I can't remember which link to click. Help...?

I can't remember how to pay my deposit online! I know it's through WebStar, but I can't remember which link to click. Help...?

http://www.webstar.nova.edu/
pick "enter secure area" (note it's closed at midnight EST)
login w/username that starts w/"N" followed by 8 digits, & pin which is 6 digits
pick "student financial services & registration"
pick "student records"
scroll down
pick "make a credit card payment"
pick "Fall 08 (view only)" etc.

Waitlisted students and students who have not heard anything since their interview are being accepted. Files are being reviewed this week. I doubt that all the files and folders were reviewed this past week. There will be open seats as the weeks roll by.

Best of luck everyone. For those who have been accepted, join the Class of 2012 Facebook group and let me know when academic societies are assigned.

Hi,
What exactly is the dress code for NSU?
Thanks,
B

Hi,
What exactly is the dress code for NSU?
Thanks,
B

I'm not entirely sure, but I do know that students can wear scrubs. I *think* otherwise, it's business casual. No jeans/t-shirts/flip-flops/shorts etc

Hi, some of you may have already seen my threads, but I wanted to see what you think because some of you are going to NSU-COM?

I have been accepted into Nova's undergrad Dual Admission Program, which is a 7 year accelerated program that guarantees me a seat at NSU-COM. I need to get a 24 MCAT and maintain a 3.3 GPA.

So why did you med school applicants choose Nova, besides location, lol that's no-brainer...(I have been accepted to a similar, easier program with PCOM with 21 MCAT needed and 3.2 GPA)

I'm an M-1 at NSU, and the reason why I chose this school was simply because it was the most established school of all the schools that accepted me. The others were all less than 10 years old, with some schools yet to have a graduating class, which created a lot of uncertainty regarding rotations and future match prospects. I have to admit however, that NSU was NOT my top choice school, as I had my sights set on NYCOM, PCOM (philly), CCOM or UMDNJ.

Hi, some of you may have already seen my threads, but I wanted to see what you think because some of you are going to NSU-COM?

I have been accepted into Nova's undergrad Dual Admission Program, which is a 7 year accelerated program that guarantees me a seat at NSU-COM. I need to get a 24 MCAT and maintain a 3.3 GPA.

So why did you med school applicants choose Nova, besides location, lol that's no-brainer...(I have been accepted to a similar, easier program with PCOM with 21 MCAT needed and 3.2 GPA)

Honestly, I wouldn't do a BS DO program. I thought about doing a BS/MD program at UCF when I was a freshman (requiring a 30 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA) and I'm really glad I didn't...mostly because I don't particularaly care for USF's medical school!

I love Nova's medical school (i'm starting in august), but I also like that I had the choice to go wherever I wanted to (where I could get in that is).

The bottom line is that no matter where you go for undergrad you'll prepare well for the MCAT if that's what you want to do. Now, if you had a program that didn't require you to take an MCAT at all that'd be different.

But um...if you APPLIED to a lot of medical schools with a 24 MCAT and a 3.3 GPA, you'd stand a good chance of getting in w/o the BS/DO program.

Plus, nobody stresses like pre-meds, I would so not want the pressure of being in a program with 20 people exactly like me! I loved college, I used it as a time to explore my interests and even got two degrees.

I know some folks on the board have been kinda snippy to you, and that sucks. Feel free to PM or IM me (singinfifi) if you want more of my $0.02 cents on the matter :)

I'm not entirely sure, but I do know that students can wear scrubs. I *think* otherwise, it's business casual. No jeans/t-shirts/flip-flops/shorts etc
What you're supposed to wear:

Business Casual OR Scrubs

Students diverge from this, but there are certain times when you're required to stick to dress code and wear you white coat.

ok well the reason I am probably doing the BS/DO program is that its flexible, the school allows me to apply out to different MD/DO schools following my 3rd year and I really want to and prefer to go to a medical school near Chicago or in IL because that's where I'm from...

Nova is my plan A for college, and the only other option since I got rejected to all BS/MD is do traditional premed at Knox College, Loyola Univ Chicago, UIC or U of I....and then I have to compete with the crazy premeds...that's why I want to go to Nova, but don't know much about their premed program/undergrad.....

By the way, I had a tough time deciding between Nova's BS/DO and Gannon/PCOM, but actually Nova's match rates for 1st choice and DO residencies was higher for the last 5 years except last year they both tied...Now I don't know much about MD residencies, but that stat shocked me because everyone was telling me that PCOM is better....maybe with MD residencies?

well I still have 4 weeks to decide...but I think I would be happier in Ft. Lauderdale for college rather than "dreary Erie" where Gannon Univ is located.

The only think I'm concerned is 24 MCAT, and will be really pissed if I get a lower MCAT like 21, which is required at Gannon/PCOM...

ok well the reason I am probably doing the BS/DO program is that its flexible, the school allows me to apply out to different MD/DO schools following my 3rd year and I really want to and prefer to go to a medical school near Chicago or in IL because that's where I'm from...

The only think I'm concerned is 24 MCAT, and will be really pissed if I get a lower MCAT like 21, which is required at Gannon/PCOM...

If you get an MCAT you aren't happy with, re-take it. I got an MCAT I wasn't happy with (thank you taking a paper test while having back spazams), but once I realized it was high enough to get me where I wanted to go, I decided not to retake.

You seem like a really motivated student, who I'm sure will do well in their courses and prepare well for the MCAT.

I think wherever you go you'll wind up prepared, not because the school is awesome, but because YOU are responsible enough to prepare.

College is (or at least was for me) a time to have a good time and make sure I knew what I wanted to do. What if you want to get a 2nd major? will the BS/DO program do that? will they let you extend a year? What about if you fail a class? or have to retake? do you get dropped from the program? If you get dropped on the program, will it effect you negatively if you decide to apply to NSU (or any other medical schools for that matter) later on?

I dunno, I'm really happy with the choice I made, but again, it's a really personal decision. It seems like you've got all the facts and all that's left to do is decide.

Good luck!

Nova is my plan A for college, and the only other option since I got rejected to all BS/MD is do traditional premed at Knox College, Loyola Univ Chicago, UIC or U of I....and then I have to compete with the crazy premeds...that's why I want to go to Nova, but don't know much about their premed program/undergrad.....

By the way, I had a tough time deciding between Nova's BS/DO and Gannon/PCOM, but actually Nova's match rates for 1st choice and DO residencies was higher for the last 5 years except last year they both tied...Now I don't know much about MD residencies, but that stat shocked me because everyone was telling me that PCOM is better....maybe with MD residencies?

well I still have 4 weeks to decide...but I think I would be happier in Ft. Lauderdale for college rather than "dreary Erie" where Gannon Univ is located.

It's great that you're thinking about your future, but you'll soon find out that things change over time. You don't want to put yourself on a tract that is too focused. Who knows what is going to happen between now and when you apply to medical school.

(thank you taking a paper test while having back spazams)...oh that sux, but at least you ended up getting the score you wanted, congratz

thanks for the encouragement/support, I'm currently in the process of finding the answers to those questions but as of now I do know:

"What if you want to get a 2nd major? will the BS/DO program do that? will they let you extend a year? What about if you fail a class? or have to retake? do you get dropped from the program? If you get dropped on the program, will it effect you negatively if you decide to apply to NSU (or any other medical schools for that matter) later on?"

-We have to major in Biology, but minor in anything from business, psychology, chemistry or anything...any advice? I kind of want a GPA booster but also want med schools to like it

-I believe if worst case scenario happens like failing a class they make your 7 year program into a 8 year program, since NSU offers 7 and 8 year BS/DO programs based on ACT/SAT scores and interview that finished

-Lol you're scaring me about the dropped from the program, I don't think undergrad is that hard at NSU...

I'm an M-1 at NSU, and the reason why I chose this school was simply because it was the most established school of all the schools that accepted me. The others were all less than 10 years old, with some schools yet to have a graduating class, which created a lot of uncertainty regarding rotations and future match prospects. I have to admit however, that NSU was NOT my top choice school, as I had my sights set on NYCOM, PCOM (philly), CCOM or UMDNJ.

Hi there, would you choose western or NOVA/
thanks

"It's great that you're thinking about your future, but you'll soon find out that things change over time. You don't want to put yourself on a tract that is too focused. Who knows what is going to happen between now and when you apply to medical school."

yeah a lot of people have been saying that, but honestly, I have known I wanted to be a doctor since 5th grade, and I truly think college and undergrad experiences like research/bio classes/volunteering will only enhance my goals and further motivate me. I don't see being satisfied in life without any other career besides medicine, that's why I am thinking about doing this program. The brochures for the program say, "the dual admission program provided a head-start for your goals to come true."

anyways right now I just can't wait for summer:)

(thank you taking a paper test while having back spazams)...oh that sux, but at least you ended up getting the score you wanted, congratz

Well, it wasn't the score I WANTED, it was the score I needed lol.

FuturePharm21 said:
We have to major in Biology, but minor in anything from business, psychology, chemistry or anything...any advice? I kind of want a GPA booster but also want med schools to like it
My first B.S. degree is in Psychology my second is Biology :) Psychology was SUPER easy and interesting plus it gave me something to talk about in interviews as far as being "well rounded" goes.

FuturePharm21 said:
-Lol you're scaring me about the dropped from the program, I don't think undergrad is that hard at NSU...

It's not that it's hard, it's that stuff happens. Me? I got into a major car accident in the beginning of my junior year and nearly had to take a semester off, I got really sick my sophomore year and took a really like course load as a result, will that program let you do that? what happens if you decide you just want a break?

Well, if you come to NSU, I may see you around. Best of luck with your decision.

"It's great that you're thinking about your future, but you'll soon find out that things change over time. You don't want to put yourself on a tract that is too focused. Who knows what is going to happen between now and when you apply to medical school."

yeah a lot of people have been saying that, but honestly, I have known I wanted to be a doctor since 5th grade, and I truly think college and undergrad experiences like research/bio classes/volunteering will only enhance my goals and further motivate me. I don't see being satisfied in life without any other career besides medicine, that's why I am thinking about doing this program. The brochures for the program say, "the dual admission program provided a head-start for your goals to come true."

anyways right now I just can't wait for summer:)

Hi there, would you choose western or NOVA/
thanks

Tough call. Don't know much about Western's 3rd/4th year curriculum, and their tuition is more expensive, from what I believe. So, can't help you out. Talk to a western student.

OK, so I just went back and looked at Dr. Whitehead's e-mail. He said that they would let us know about the computers by the end of March, and no word yet. I'd kinda like to know 'cause my computer has started over-heating again and I really need to get a new one here soon! I realize that they're pretty busy this time of year, but between this and not knowing what financial aid I'm getting its making it rather hard to plan things. We sent in applications for apartments last week and they wanted a copy of our financial aid disbursement letter as proof of income! :eek:

Nate.

OK, so I just went back and looked at Dr. Whitehead's e-mail. He said that they would let us know about the computers by the end of March, and no word yet. I'd kinda like to know 'cause my computer has started over-heating again and I really need to get a new one here soon! I realize that they're pretty busy this time of year, but between this and not knowing what financial aid I'm getting its making it rather hard to plan things. We sent in applications for apartments last week and they wanted a copy of our financial aid disbursement letter as proof of income! :eek:

Nate.
Disbursement of money isn't until a few weeks before you start school. As I have indicated, if you plan to move down earlier, plan to be able to support yourself until you get your loans in. In terms of getting a letter indicating how much you will be getting, I remember receiving that later in the game. Hopefully, you figured out the scheme for your subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford and applied for your Grad Plus Loans. If you do so before the Fin Aid office decides to notify you, you will be on top of things and the likelihood of getting your Fin Aid letter earlier would be greatly increase.

Disbursement of money isn't until a few weeks before you start school. As I have indicated, if you plan to move down earlier, plan to be able to support yourself until you get your loans in. In terms of getting a letter indicating how much you will be getting, I remember receiving that later in the game. Hopefully, you figured out the scheme for your subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford and applied for your Grad Plus Loans. If you do so before the Fin Aid office decides to notify you, you will be on top of things and the likelihood of getting your Fin Aid letter earlier would be greatly increase.

I didn't realize that you can apply for Grad Plus before we hear from the school about our Staford loans. I don't know how much to expect from unsubsidized Stafords. How do we find this out?

Nate.

I didn't realize that you can apply for Grad Plus before we hear from the school about our Staford loans. I don't know how much to expect from unsubsidized Stafords. How do we find this out?

Nate.
Based on your FAFSA, you should get an idea about how much money you'll have to borrow. If your EFC is not exorbitant, I would expect most people to receive the max sub and unsub Stafford, which is ~8k and ~24 or ~34 respectively (not sure whether it was 24 or 34). The rest of your loans will be Grad Plus. You can take as much or as little Grad Plus as you want.

Hi,
Is there anyway to check your status - accepted, alternate, etc. - on the NSU website or Webstar?

Thanks,
B