NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Any word about NSU's secondary? I am still not sure if their secondary is made available to everyone or if you need a login name/password.

the torch has been passed.

Good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
so, lookin at NSU-COM's website, the first thing that caught my eye was the link for preventive medicine. they make it seem like they are really big on preventive medicine and incorporate into the curriculum, have many opportunities in the field, etc. etc.. they talk about how the U.S. needs more prevventive medicine physicians in the specialty, and that we should be incorporating preventive medicine into family practice and other specialties as well and all these that sound great and I absoltuely 100% agree with....but.....

is all that they say true or is it just a cute thing on their website to help attract students? I am very very interested in preventive medicine, so its kind of a big deal for me. not many programs in the U.S. deal specifically with the field so I am excited to say the least.

First thing I noticed about their website is that it is crap. ;)

NSU is big on pushing primary care. Preventative medicine is kind of the spawn in that category. Florida government officials are trying to get a preventative care push as well. FSU is huge with it. One of the guys here worked for Jeb and is big on the whole preventative versus disease care thang. The aging Florida population has a lot to do with it. They are also spending a lot of money on anti-smoking ads. I believe the truth campaign and the "i care" campaign both started in Florida. I don't think it is horribly superficial at all. Look at their clinical rotations and you can kind of see the underserved orientation and all that stuff.

pardon me if this is a stupid question....but has NSU ever been directly hit/affected by a hurricane? as far as classes being put on hold, buildings destroyed, etc.

pardon me if this is a stupid question....but has NSU ever been directly hit/affected by a hurricane? as far as classes being put on hold, buildings destroyed, etc.

I have no doubt in my mind that it has. If they are going to get hit by a hurricane they will cancel classes. It happened here at FSU a couple of times. It is kind of the equivalent to a snow day up north. If it is a large tropical storm you will probably be out of luck, but many areas will lose power if strong enough. The last hurricane there (I forgot the name) had parts of south florida lose power for like a week or so. The buildings are specifically designed to hold up to those kind of winds, unlike many of the houses. If there is any damage on campus it'll probably be some of those tiles flying off, loose debris, etc.

During my M2 year, we missed an entire week of classes in the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma (over half of our endocrine system course!).

Almost all buildings in Florida (as required by law after Hurricane Andrew in 1992) are built to withstand category 5 hurricanes, so no worries.

oh heey i remember hurricane wilma!
we had our homecoming at FIU cancelled because of it! that seems sooo long ago now.
anyhow, threats of hurricanes are hardly enough for me to keep from applying to my top choice:cool:
BTW Pegasus, do you know of anyone who lives in Miami and commutes to Nova? Do you know of anyone who makes a long commute to classes?

I think Wilma was the hurricane I was thinking of.

All buildings made post Hurricane andrew are required to stand up to the new laws, but that isn't all buildings. The wise thing to do is find out when your place was made before you plop down a huge chunk of money on it. Certain areas of Florida, like where I am now, have houses near the water from the 50s and 60s. Every hurricane they get demolished enough to make someone move but not enough to prevent the next schmuck to go in there, replace carpet, and think it won't happen again. Our house is on 30 ft pilings and has special glass. They put these things that are designed to keep the ceiling from ripping off too. I didn't think it was a Category 5 though...That is a monster and takes some serious construction. Most buildings that have debris whipping at them at 155+ mph are going to have troubles. Hurricane Andrew was one badass mofo. I still remember hauling off of Sanibel island and driving like 12 hours north to get out of its path.

During my M2 year, we missed an entire week of classes in the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma (over half of our endocrine system course!).

Almost all buildings in Florida (as required by law after Hurricane Andrew in 1992) are built to withstand category 5 hurricanes, so no worries.

so how did that work? was everyting pushed back a week? did they expect you to keep studying on your own like nothing was happening? what about comlex scheduling? i'm not sure when exactly you take it but i'm sure that didn't go well for those trying to study.

so how did that work? was everyting pushed back a week? did they expect you to keep studying on your own like nothing was happening? what about comlex scheduling? i'm not sure when exactly you take it but i'm sure that didn't go well for those trying to study.

When we got back to school they just gave us a new schedule to finish out the semester. Most people took the week as a vacation week; the weather was actually gorgeous after the hurricane. The power was out for a few days so I'm sure you can guess what most of us did to keep ourselves entertained....

COMLEX Level 1 isn't taken until the end of your second year so no one was affected. (Hurricane season is June-November)

When we got back to school they just gave us a new schedule to finish out the semester. Most people took the week as a vacation week; the weather was actually gorgeous after the hurricane. The power was out for a few days so I'm sure you can guess what most of us did to keep ourselves entertained....

COMLEX Level 1 isn't taken until the end of your second year so no one was affected. (Hurricane season is June-November)

I always found it kind of insulting how beautiful the weather is after a hurricane. Mainly because I'd spend the next week picking crap up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether the letter from a physician must be a DO, or can it be an MD? The website says DO on one occasion and a "physician" in general on another.

Does anyone know whether the letter from a physician must be a DO, or can it be an MD? The website says DO on one occasion and a "physician" in general on another.

The easy answer and best policy is to call and ask.

I'd probably say a DO letter is best, but they might take others. Most of these schools just want a DO letter to make sure it isn't some last second backup type deal I suspect.

BTW Pegasus, do you know of anyone who lives in Miami and commutes to Nova? Do you know of anyone who makes a long commute to classes?

The only problem with this plan is the traffic. Cali has a lot but the folks in Miami area emulate the definition of road rage. It's difficult keeping your sanity driving in those conditions everyday.

Good Luck MrMatt. Nova is on the top of my list as well.

I think driving from Miami to nova would SUCK unless you started in around 5 or 6 a.m. Just commuting from Pembroke Pines area to Ft. Lauderdale for a week was painful enough for me. If you want to go home around 5 then bring something to do....or you could keep training for triathlons since running/swimming/biking are all faster means at that time.

I got in with a letter from an MD. I think an outstanding letter from an MD you know well is better than a DO you barely know. It is early enough to find a DO to shadow though.

Thanks everyone, I called this morning and they said they would take either MD or DO, in case anyone else is in the same boat. Spyca - thanks for the info!

oh heey i remember hurricane wilma!
we had our homecoming at FIU cancelled because of it! that seems sooo long ago now.
anyhow, threats of hurricanes are hardly enough for me to keep from applying to my top choice:cool:
I know a few people coming from Miami. The traffic goes south and east during the morning commute and north and west in the evening commute.

what's the average gpa/mcat score of recent accepted classes? since i can't find any stats like that on their website

what's the average gpa/mcat score of recent accepted classes? since i can't find any stats like that on their website

Dude. Enough....seriously. I'm to the point that about anyone else but you can ask a question pertaining to gpa, or mcat.

i wanna know what are competitive scores at NSU-COM, what's wrong with that?

Sigh. I found his meds in his socks this time. Sorry, folks. You try making a 382 pound man swallow.

The thing is, you really have no concept yet of what is on the mcat, or what these scores mean. If you do everything right from day one, and prepare properly, it will be a pretty easy test for you. You should have no problem making in the 30's, and if you are half as smart as you are compulsive, you could end up with a stellar score.

You worry about this **** too ****ing much. I didn't worry this much when I was trying to dig myself out of a hole as deep as a 2.2 GPA.

If you enter college knowing you want to go to med school, you have some kind of self-discipline, and you don't have to work full-time to support yourself, getting accepted should be nothing more than a formality. I mean you should have your choice of quite a few good schools.

What is getting on everyones nerves is that you are asking essentially the same thing over and over. You are doing this, because you don't understand what the answers mean that we are giving you, because you have no frame of reference for any of it, because you are in high school.

Go to college and take care of business. Work hard in the classroom. Have some fun on the weekends. Go to the football tailgates. Touch boobies. Study hard for the MCAT in a few years. Do some volunteer work. If you follow my program, you will be accepted to med school, and you won't feel like you got cheated of anything that college should offer.

If I had your focus and direction when I was a senior in high school, I'd be an attending now. For that, I envy you. But you need to ****ing listen to us, because we are right. Just relax a little. Its okay not to worry about this **** all the time.

Posted via Mobile Device

I seriously doubt myself and have many apprehensions because to be honest, I'm not the smartest, not a good test-taker, and just nervous about college....

and yes i worry a lot because I don't want to end up not achieving my goals, and yes I am compulsive and crazy but it's just because I just want to prepare myself for success....

FP21's MOM, I'm so happy your getting a kick outta this, but seriously, get a life

I seriously doubt myself and have many apprehensions because to be honest, I'm not the smartest, not a good test-taker, and just nervous about college....

and yes i worry a lot because I don't want to end up not achieving my goals, and yes I am compulsive and crazy but it's just because I just want to prepare myself for success....

FP21's MOM, I'm so happy your getting a kick outta this, but seriously, get a life
1. You don't have to be the smartest to be successful. You have to have a brain in your head, but its more about hard work than anything else. And it is fine to be nervous about college, but you will need to become a better test-taker.

To be honest, I used to be a horrible test-taker. Then I started studying for my exams, going to class, paying attention, and taking notes. Suddenly, I became a freaking awesome test-taker, almost overnight.

You are going to need to get this anxiety under control. Go see a psychiatrist to see if there is anything that can be done. No, I am not kidding.

2. Prepare yourself for success by expecting success. You look more like you're trying to prepare yourself for failure by planning your excuses ahead of time.

My junior year in high school, I shot about 30% from the free-throw line. I was a decent player, and a good shooter, but I did not want the ball on the free-throw line. I always made them in practice, but I wanted no part of them in the games. As a result, I became a huge *****. I stopped being aggressive, because I didn't want to get fouled and end up shooting free-throws. This is a huge problem for a post player who does everything around the basket and likes to dunk. I ended up riding a lot of pine as the year went on.

My senior year, I led the greater San Antonio area in free-throw percentage. I think I missed two or three all year.

What do you think I did to make this turnaround? Practice shooting free-throws all summer?

Hell no. I was already a good shooter. My problem was in my head. I was choking, because I was afraid to fail. I told myself every day during that offseason that I wanted the ball in crunch time, and I wanted to get fouled. I wanted to shoot those shots, because they were free points, and I wanted to win.

I was still nervous. It was 1995, and I still remember my first free-throws that season. I was a little choked up, but I had the right attitude going to the line. The first couple shots went in, and I was home free. That year, I hit free-throws to win games, to send games to overtime, and so-on. We were state semifinalists that year too.

So just relax. You may not be some super-genius, but you've got a ****ing brain, don't you? Are you completely inept? Of course not. Figure out what you need to do to learn some effective study skills. Have some early success, find a major you enjoy, and build some confidence that way. Then you'll be home free.

A little compulsiveness will serve you well. Too much will be very counterproductive.

Prepare for success by not being afraid to fail. Learn from your mistakes, instead of freaking out, or becoming apathetic. And for the love of God, shut the **** up about how low you need to score on the MCAT and GPA in order to get in already.

Thanks TT. I think I'm beyond the stage of patience and entering the realm of violence lately. :p

that was a moving speech, and I guess I will be less compulsive about these matters, but my curiosity will never die:)

that was a moving speech, and I guess I will be less compulsive about these matters, but my curiosity will never die:)
For the most part, medical students are obsessive and compulsive type A students. Pre-meds could well possibly be worst. Hopefully, you will soon learn to enjoy your current experiences and to cross that bridge when you come to it. When you're in college, you'll realize that high school was so easy and you had so much free time. When you're in med school, you'll realize the same about college. Take things in stride and enjoy today.

Remember, curiosity killed the cat, and well, Curious George is a monkey.

That question should not be of concern as you are already into the accelerated BS/DO program at Nova, right?

That question should not be of concern as you are already into the accelerated BS/DO program at Nova, right?

Who knows with this kid. I think we need to take him out drinking...and if he mentions mcat scores once then I'll just hook him up with a chick with crabs or something. Shouldn't be too hard in Florida.

I'll just hook him up with a chick with crabs or something. Shouldn't be too hard in Florida.

Seriously! After doing a rotation at the Broward County STD Clinic and seeing how bad the STD problem is around Fort Lauderdale, I recommend azithromycin prophylaxis after hooking up!

Last edited:
Seriously! After doing a rotation at the Broward County STD Clinic and seeing how bad the STD problem is around Fort Lauderdale, I recommend azithromycin prophylaxis after hooking up!

Come on up to Tallahassee and get the shock of your life. It is so bad here they actually made fun of it on "Lost".

lol I think my questions about averages and such are done, thanks spyca!

Hey FP,

I am a Nova BS/DO dual-admit student (7 year program) about to enter my
3rd year of med school. If you're already accepted into the BS/DO program, then all you need to worry about is getting a 24 on the MCAT. I am not 100%sure about the gpa requirement but when I went there the classes were very doable so gpa shouldn't be a big problem. Just enjoy high school while you can and enjoy the present.

what kind of research does nova offer? have students been able to work toward publications in their fields of interest? and is there a good mix of basic science and clinical research there? thanks

what kind of research does nova offer? have students been able to work toward publications in their fields of interest? and is there a good mix of basic science and clinical research there? thanks
There is limited research at Nova. Most of the research is in the basic sciences by the very own professors that will be teaching you in classes. They are building a new research building in the near future which will build upon the grants that NSU has. There is a research fellowship granted that pays for your 3rd and 4th year of medical school tuition.

There is limited research at Nova. Most of the research is in the basic sciences by the very own professors that will be teaching you in classes. They are building a new research building in the near future which will build upon the grants that NSU has. There is a research fellowship granted that pays for your 3rd and 4th year of medical school tuition.

thanks for the reply hemaoncodoc, just wondering what kind of basic science research exists there, is it more quantitative than qualitative? thanks

thanks for the reply hemaoncodoc, just wondering what kind of basic science research exists there, is it more quantitative than qualitative? thanks
From what I know about the research occurring at the moment, there is more quantitative research going on than qualitative. If your interest lies mainly in research, NSUCOM may not be the right place for you though the school is expanding that area.

got the secondary today for NSUCOM...however, the following makes me very angry:

List all the allopathic medical schools to which you are applying this year or to which you have applied in the past. Please indicate the year you applied, the college(s), whether you received an interview and what is your current status with that college. Please use the following format: date applied, insitution applied, interview and status of application.

It's required. Why???!

The secondary itself isn't too bad. I'm almost done with it except for this last "additional information" section. The "interests" page is EXTREMELY vague. Do we indicate hours spent? Dates? Anybody?!?

Last year this secondary was the first one I got, now it's the last DO app I'm waiting for.

got the secondary today for NSUCOM...however, the following makes me very angry:

List all the allopathic medical schools to which you are applying this year or to which you have applied in the past. Please indicate the year you applied, the college(s), whether you received an interview and what is your current status with that college. Please use the following format: date applied, insitution applied, interview and status of application.

It's required. Why???!

The secondary itself isn't too bad. I'm almost done with it except for this last "additional information" section. The "interests" page is EXTREMELY vague. Do we indicate hours spent? Dates? Anybody?!?

that is pretty irritating. would they really look down on an applicant who is applying MD? I dont see how it is useful in evaluating an applicants qualifications.

They ask the same thing with the dental school. I think it is ridiculous, almost to the point of making me not interested. They do not reserve the right to require a question like that. It does not change the quality of the applicant in any way. I'm applying to a ton of frickin schools and frankly, I almost want to lie. This is one of those cases where if I don't lie, I look really really bad.

They ask the same thing with the dental school. I think it is ridiculous, almost to the point of making me not interested. They do not reserve the right to require a question like that. It does not change the quality of the applicant in any way. I'm applying to a ton of frickin schools and frankly, I almost want to lie. This is one of those cases where if I don't lie, I look really really bad.

i was thinking of that....what is the likelihood they ever find out? You'd just have to remember during interview that you told this particular school you didnt apply MD. I think its too risky for me, I'm inclined to forget things like that, which is why i am such a bad liar.

A school is naive to think a student wouldn't at least apply to their state schools, regardless of how hardcore DO they are. There are plenty of people like me that are neurotic and put down a lot of money now, so we don't have to go through it again. It doesn't mean I want to go to that school any less. NSU is in my top 5 probably...wish there were a way I could convey that.