2022-2023 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Secondary Questions:
1. How did you learn about osteopathic medicine? (1000 characters)
2. List and briefly describe your significant healthcare-related volunteer activities since graduation from high school. (2000 characters)
3. If you were employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate or graduate school, please list dates of employment beginning with your current position along with title or job description, level of responsibility, and the number of hours per week. (2000 characters)

They also have this question: If you have ever matriculated into an M.D. or a D.O. program, please explain the reason(s) for leaving. Please use the following format: date, institution, status. If nonapplicable, please type "none".

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi to anyone reading this! I'm a current med student at Nova and happy to give advice or answer questions! PM or on the thread. My goal in this post is to provide info on things I wish someone had been straight up with me about before starting. This doesn't mean I don't like our program or I regret coming here, but we were given rose colored glasses which led us to be disappointed in some aspects. Things you should be aware of off the bat [**some of this won't make sense to you until you go to interview/after you interview**]-> The clinical rotation sites on the website have not been updated in at least 2 years. There are a lot of issues that limit your experiences because of the TBR campus [we operate as 1 large program, TBR DO is not an independent campus strictly speaking], so unless its available to both campuses, they will not provide whatever it is. They may show you some of "state of the art" technology for lectures/labs and things, but none of the current M1 or M2 classes ever saw it in our courses, so take that as you will; be prepared for COVID to be used as an excuse if questioned, keeping in mind the M1 class still had in person lectures and labs with masks. Because of the sheer size of the class on either campus, getting leadership positions is 90% a popularity contest; if you want to have a shot at anything, you need to be very active in the class social media and get to know as many people as possible. There will also be an additional hurdle relating to their master's feeder program students. I won't risk my position by commenting specifics on admin, take that as you will.

The professors are awesome, plus or minus a few, but that's going to happen anywhere you go. The students are wonderful, again understanding no matter where you go there will always be gunners or otherwise insufferable people. Our class is very collaborative, supportive, and consistently looking out for one another. The curriculum is fine, it wasn't my first choice approach wise, but I've done well. Keep in mind I have only experienced this curriculum, I can't reliably compare other schools. I think the main reason its so difficult is the way they schedule everything. It's dense and has more stuff than some other programs. You very well may be concerned about the board scores, as many of us were when applying, especially if you're going into previous cycles' forums. I honestly don't think that's a curriculum content problem, but the program current M1 and M2's follow is different from what the outgoing M4's and beyond had. They do not focus only on board relevant things, because while boards cover a lot, they don't accurately capture the way medicine is in real life (not entirely). Nova cares about making sure you are prepared to take care of people first, boards second- whether you agree with that or not may suggest some necessary introspection on your part. Before anyone launches at that statement, I am not saying there is no emphasis or lax focus on boards, there is OBVIOUSLY constant discussion on boards. You have to pass all 3 levels to graduate and MATCH, duh. However, there is an understanding that you'll be taking time to study lecture material they tell you is board relevant but won't be on a class exam. SO, in my limited experience, I've been guessing the issue is they don't ask enough board-style questions on tests. You really need to start incorporating board practice questions when you start systems. If you're not used to them and you wait until dedicated to start, you're going to be struggling. I don't know any M2s in dedicated right now who have complained about the curriculum not being good enough. Whats the bottom line from this massive post? Don't be misled by your interview or the website, reach out to current*** M1's (or M2's for clinical site stuff) who are not student ambassadors and aim for realistic expectations. If you don't foresee needing to interact with admin often (for personal situations), you'll be fine. Rotations are done by a lottery system and you have very, very little control over where you go. If you're good with personal responsibility and understanding boards take a lot of additional/repetitive study time on your own (regardless of where you go), you'll be fine. You may need to outsource for leadership opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi to anyone reading this! I'm a current med student at Nova and happy to give advice or answer questions! PM or on the thread. My goal in this post is to provide info on things I wish someone had been straight up with me about before starting. This doesn't mean I don't like our program or I regret coming here, but we were given rose colored glasses which led us to be disappointed in some aspects. Things you should be aware of off the bat [**some of this won't make sense to you until you go to interview/after you interview**]-> The clinical rotation sites on the website have not been updated in at least 2 years. There are a lot of issues that limit your experiences because of the TBR campus [we operate as 1 large program, TBR DO is not an independent campus strictly speaking], so unless its available to both campuses, they will not provide whatever it is. They may show you some of "state of the art" technology for lectures/labs and things, but none of the current M1 or M2 classes ever saw it in our courses, so take that as you will; be prepared for COVID to be used as an excuse if questioned, keeping in mind the M1 class still had in person lectures and labs with masks. Because of the sheer size of the class on either campus, getting leadership positions is 90% a popularity contest; if you want to have a shot at anything, you need to be very active in the class social media and get to know as many people as possible. There will also be an additional hurdle relating to their master's feeder program students. I won't risk my position by commenting specifics on admin, take that as you will.

The professors are awesome, plus or minus a few, but that's going to happen anywhere you go. The students are wonderful, again understanding no matter where you go there will always be gunners or otherwise insufferable people. Our class is very collaborative, supportive, and consistently looking out for one another. The curriculum is fine, it wasn't my first choice approach wise, but I've done well. Keep in mind I have only experienced this curriculum, I can't reliably compare other schools. I think the main reason its so difficult is the way they schedule everything. It's dense and has more stuff than some other programs. You very well may be concerned about the board scores, as many of us were when applying, especially if you're going into previous cycles' forums. I honestly don't think that's a curriculum content problem, but the program current M1 and M2's follow is different from what the outgoing M4's and beyond had. They do not focus only on board relevant things, because while boards cover a lot, they don't accurately capture the way medicine is in real life (not entirely). Nova cares about making sure you are prepared to take care of people first, boards second- whether you agree with that or not may suggest some necessary introspection on your part. Before anyone launches at that statement, I am not saying there is no emphasis or lax focus on boards, there is OBVIOUSLY constant discussion on boards. You have to pass all 3 levels to graduate and MATCH, duh. However, there is an understanding that you'll be taking time to study lecture material they tell you is board relevant but won't be on a class exam. SO, in my limited experience, I've been guessing the issue is they don't ask enough board-style questions on tests. You really need to start incorporating board practice questions when you start systems. If you're not used to them and you wait until dedicated to start, you're going to be struggling. I don't know any M2s in dedicated right now who have complained about the curriculum not being good enough. Whats the bottom line from this massive post? Don't be misled by your interview or the website, reach out to current*** M1's (or M2's for clinical site stuff) who are not student ambassadors and aim for realistic expectations. If you don't foresee needing to interact with admin often (for personal situations), you'll be fine. Rotations are done by a lottery system and you have very, very little control over where you go. If you're good with personal responsibility and understanding boards take a lot of additional/repetitive study time on your own (regardless of where you go), you'll be fine. You may need to outsource for leadership opportunities.
Hi! This is great as I have read some negative reviews about Nova in the past. What is your favorite thing about being a Nova student?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current med student at Nova and happy to give advice or answer questions! PM or on the thread
What are the class sizes for both campuses? I'm pretty indifferent about which campus I go to so I would like to apply to the campus I have a better shot at

Hi! This is great as I have read some negative reviews about Nova in the past. What is your favorite thing about being a Nova student?
To each their own! There are things worth negative comments but like I said, I'm not going to risk doing that publicly lol. I think my favorite thing is the people in my class. It can be really hit or miss considering the types of people that go into medicine. I don't know if we just happened to have a good batch or if it's something Nova has a strong method for, but I have made some amazing friends. Even in general, you're not going to be friends with everyone logistically, but I have only met a couple people I straight up didn't like because they don't seem like good people. I'm a very lax social person, you've got to be really outwardly off for me to not like you like that- and these are essentially the hyper-competitive and/or conniving type premeds. You're going to need a good community to get through the rough parts!

What are the class sizes for both campuses? I'm pretty indifferent about which campus I go to so I would like to apply to the campus I have a better shot at
The class total is 400; 250 at Davie, 150 in TBR. My direct answer is to apply no preference in that case to give yourself the best chance, you get a certain amount of time after acceptance to submit your final choice. Application wise, Davie is more competitive than TBR for spots, meaning more people want Davie. Personally, I feel TBR gets the short end of the proverbial stick a lot more often than Davie. It's definitely going to depend on who you ask and what their personal preferences are. I like being on a more traditional, well established campus in a prominent area. There are a lot more opportunities outside Nova in Davie than TBR (again, my personal opinion)- not that they don't exist, just more limited. Because both campuses are required to operate as 1 program, there can't be any university-supplied opportunities available to Davie that aren't available to TBR and vice versa. Honestly, most people end up picking based on whether they want to live in the TBR area or the Davie area. Don't let anyone tell you the prices of apartments and such are drastically different, they're not. Also, your campus location apparently has no effect on your chances in the lottery for clinical sites.

Reactions: 1 user
@PapaGuava Secondary Questions:

2. List and briefly describe your significant healthcare-related volunteer activities since graduation from high school. (2000 characters)
3. If you were employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate or graduate school, please list dates of employment beginning with your current position along with title or job description, level of responsibility, and the number of hours per week. (2000 characters)

They also have this question: If you have ever matriculated into an M.D. or a D.O. program, please explain the reason(s) for leaving. Please use the following format: date, institution, status. If nonapplicable, please type "none".

Additionally, Nova's secondary only costs $50!

Last edited:
Since I plan on applying no preference, how should I answer this question? I feel like leaving this required question blank is wrong.

Edit: I ended up putting Tampa because it’s a bigger city and cheaper than Fort Lauderdale.

@thisisnotfine

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 11.32.09 AM.png

Last edited:
Submitted my secondary fee but it says the rest of my supplemental essays have not been received. Anyone else?

Is the Fort Lauderdale campus better or Clearwater? Or equally good?

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed the secondary mentioned sending transcripts to Nova. We shouldn’t have to do this since our AACOMAS app already has our transcripts right?

@PapaGuava Secondary Questions:

Additionally, Nova's secondary only costs $50!
I went ahead and added them to the thread! Thank you for the tag :)

Does anyone's portal who has submitted the secondary still say AACOMAS application has not been received?

Anybody receive a call saying application has been forwarded for review?

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody receive a call saying application has been forwarded for review?
Woah, that's nice. I didn't receive a call yet. Is your portal updated to show AACOMAS materials received? Mine status is still "Action Required", I finished everything on 6/17.

Reactions: 2 users
I just called Nova and they said it just takes a bit for everything from AACOMAS to merge. You don’t have to send in anything!

Reactions: 1 users
Davie vs Clearwater campus. What is everyone's thought about this ? Reading through materials both locations show a lot of potential.

Received complete call today and app forwarded to review. They said generally takes 4-6 weeks to hear back.

mine was submitted and verified 6/18 and haven't received secondary (though it is pre-written). anything to be worried about?

It says that I'm complete and got the phone call too but says transcript not received. Anyone else?

Why am I not getting this call? :( I was verified on the first day and submitted my secondary the first day it was sent

Why am I not getting this call? :( I was verified on the first day and submitted my secondary the first day it was sent
Don't worry. I was verified on the first day too. They probably have a weird order. Others were completed before me too. You'll get it soon

Will we here back in 4-6 for a rejection/acceptance/interview? isnt that a little fast?

Hi all, on the secondary where it asks for level of job responsibility, what exactly does that mean? I was a phlebotomist at a plasma donation center but not like a manager or anything. I included the job description but my reviewer said that it wasn't enough of a "description of my responsibilities". Any advice?

My application is verified, does this mean they have received my MCAT scores? I don’t see them listened anywhere in the application?

Also those that have received the secondary, how soon did you receive it after verification?

Got the call as well. I thought that was a nice touch. Little more personal than just an email though I missed it because I’m at work.

Got the call, left a voicemail cause I was sleeping before work lol

Whoever submitted NOVA DO already, how did your format look like for the List out your employment and volunteer activities? Was it in paragraph format?

Last edited:
hey guys i got a call today but not sure if it was a complete call because i don't have my mcat in yet. the voicemail said my app has been "forwarded for review." Was this what your guys' calls were?

hey guys i got a call today but not sure if it was a complete call because i don't have my mcat in yet. the voicemail said my app has been "forwarded for review." Was this what your guys' calls were?
what does it say on the portal for you?

what does it say on the portal for you?
Like right when i log in? under status it says completed, however i dont know how it could be when i dont have my mcat score and wont until a couple weeks from now.
but, under documents it says mcat received and has my SAT score date

Last edited: