NSU Master of Biomedical Science 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many they interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So my only question is do they provided holistic view of the applicant? I'm just wondering if this program is dedicated to strengthen applicant to become competitive for entry to medical school it seems like from previous post they accept many students who could just apply to medical school out right and be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what email to use to ask / confirm if we are complete or not?

So my only question is do they provided holistic view of the applicant? I'm just wondering if this program is dedicated to strengthen applicant to become competitive for entry to medical school it seems like from previous post they accept many students who could just apply to medical school out right and be fine.
This program is a direct link to their DO/OD program although it isn't explicitly stated, with the condition of passing all classes with an average above 80%. This program is tailored for applicants who show the potential to be successful in medical/dental school but are deficit in some areas of their application. The program itself is very rigorous and it prepares you for the demanding curriculum of their own medical/dental program. They say they do review all applications thoroughly (holistically). I understand where you are coming from, reading they tend to accept a high GPA/low MCAT or vise versa, it can be misleading for those with low GPA/low MCAT. Either way, if you feel this program is your last shot to prove yourself that you are fit to handle medical/dental school and you've done everything you can to strengthen your application ( extracurricular activities, work experience, MCAT retakes or you've experienced special circumstances), then it is definitely worth applying! Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know what email to use to ask / confirm if we are complete or not?
The number to the admissions office is in their website under the MBS. You can also check your application and it should indicate the date your application was submitted and completed. Best to call in my opinion.

I'm just a firm believer, just because someone may have low GPA/low MCAT does not always mean they are incapable of doing the rigorous work. Some applicants face real life situations on top of school. I believe that there are some diamonds in the rough that get overlooked because it takes more than numbers to be a doctor/dentist, you have to have the heart to make a sacrifice to be the best physician/dentist that your patients can witness. Of course not saying that those who have high stats dont have the heart but its about the heart of the individual not always about the numbers. Numbers can be deceiving because your numbers arent working with patients but your heart is

Reactions: 7 users
I'm just a firm believer, just because someone may have low GPA/low MCAT does not always mean they are incapable of doing the rigorous work. Some applicants face real life situations on top of school. I believe that there are some diamonds in the rough that get overlooked because it takes more than numbers to be a doctor/dentist, you have to have the heart to make a sacrifice to be the best physician/dentist that your patients can witness. Of course not saying that those who have high stats dont have the heart but its about the heart of the individual not always about the numbers. Numbers can be deceiving because your numbers arent working with patients but your heart is

Powerful

CAN I GET AN AMEN

Reactions: 4 users
Well said! I couldn't agree more! Hopefully, the admission committee sees that in all of us.

Reactions: 1 user
Praise Christ, I sent this in an email to Dr. Dribin and Ms. Chamberlain this morning. I want to be a voice for those that may be getting overlooked because of this reason.

Reactions: 3 users
Praise Christ, I sent this in an email to Dr. Dribin and Ms. Chamberlain this morning. I want to be a voice for those that may be getting overlooked because of this reason.
You emailed those words to Dr. Dribin this morning? Did they reply?!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I sure did!!! No they did not reply but I had a conversation about a month ago about it. I know they are probably busy and cant respond to every email but she asked me if I lived in South Florida and I said no, but she wanted me to come by and meet with her and Ms. Chamberlain and talk and meet me in person.

New day! Let's hope we hear something today! (Last time I said this, invites were given out!!!) :laugh::banana::rofl:

Hey everyone!! Current MBS student, just wanted to wish you all the best of luck.. keep in mind this year there are more seats available ( so we have been told) somewhere around 40 or so. In the past there were very few seats available. This program is definitely a blessing in more ways than I can express. From my stats, I had a very high GPA and relatively high MCAT score (considered for the MBS program), and was told on interview day I should just reapply to medical school. You can imagine my distress as I was turned down from several medical schools because my MCAT score was borderline like being good enough and not lol.. I had already taken my MCAT twice and they suggested taking it again which I just did not have it in me to do again, especially since I got the same score both times.. Anyhow, the program by all means is a challenge and is risky but definitely worth the risk. In my opinion its not difficult to maintain above 8o in classes as long as you put the time in.. however dont get me wrong you learn really quick that sometimes that is just not enough... For example, I consider myself to be good in certain subjects and was very surprised to find that my best subject that I love and have always excelled at was the most challenging. Subjects that were most difficult became my best subject here lol.. you see that often, your fellow classmates struggling in one class and vice versa.. everyone has something to bring to the table. The MBS program is family, you meet friends for life and become really close because you are all in it together... Its hard to see some of your brothers and sisters just not make it when they get a 79 in the class and have to do another year of the program.. But keep in mind, even that is not so bad considering you are still on the right path! I believe we have a handful of those who will be doing the second year due to PHYSIOLOGY, class is not hard but questions are very tricky.. I can tell you that right now we are studying for our last few exams and it feels amazing to be right there almost done... it goes by so quickly... benefits of this program are that once you are an M1 you know everything!!! If you manage to get all A's you dont have to repeat those classes which makes your first year a lot lighter and allows you time to tutor others and make extra $$$$.. Along with this certain classes like anatomy, histology neuroanatomy , you can get B's in and NOT retake because you have the option of doing the fellowship which makes you a fellow your M1 year. This means you will get to tutor all the other students.. So many benefits I didnt even appreciate until now..

As for interviews, expect that very soon... heard it thru the grapevine will be starting within the next week or so...be you! Interview is very welcoming.. Dribin will be the first to ask anything that stands out on your application... know your application and be real. Dribin is like our second mom she is there for you and is very real. If they try to pressure you and say things like why dont you take your mcat again, make sure you have a good response.. And dont take that as you will not be accepted, many of us were told either to reapply to medical school or take the mcat again etc and still were accepted.

Good luck!!

Hey everyone!! Current MBS student, just wanted to wish you all the best of luck.. keep in mind this year there are more seats available ( so we have been told) somewhere around 40 or so. In the past there were very few seats available. This program is definitely a blessing in more ways than I can express. From my stats, I had a very high GPA and relatively high MCAT score (considered for the MBS program), and was told on interview day I should just reapply to medical school. You can imagine my distress as I was turned down from several medical schools because my MCAT score was borderline like being good enough and not lol.. I had already taken my MCAT twice and they suggested taking it again which I just did not have it in me to do again, especially since I got the same score both times.. Anyhow, the program by all means is a challenge and is risky but definitely worth the risk. In my opinion its not difficult to maintain above 8o in classes as long as you put the time in.. however dont get me wrong you learn really quick that sometimes that is just not enough... For example, I consider myself to be good in certain subjects and was very surprised to find that my best subject that I love and have always excelled at was the most challenging. Subjects that were most difficult became my best subject here lol.. you see that often, your fellow classmates struggling in one class and vice versa.. everyone has something to bring to the table. The MBS program is family, you meet friends for life and become really close because you are all in it together... Its hard to see some of your brothers and sisters just not make it when they get a 79 in the class and have to do another year of the program.. But keep in mind, even that is not so bad considering you are still on the right path! I believe we have a handful of those who will be doing the second year due to PHYSIOLOGY, class is not hard but questions are very tricky.. I can tell you that right now we are studying for our last few exams and it feels amazing to be right there almost done... it goes by so quickly... benefits of this program are that once you are an M1 you know everything!!! If you manage to get all A's you dont have to repeat those classes which makes your first year a lot lighter and allows you time to tutor others and make extra $$$$.. Along with this certain classes like anatomy, histology neuroanatomy , you can get B's in and NOT retake because you have the option of doing the fellowship which makes you a fellow your M1 year. This means you will get to tutor all the other students.. So many benefits I didnt even appreciate until now..

As for interviews, expect that very soon... heard it thru the grapevine will be starting within the next week or so...be you! Interview is very welcoming.. Dribin will be the first to ask anything that stands out on your application... know your application and be real. Dribin is like our second mom she is there for you and is very real. If they try to pressure you and say things like why dont you take your mcat again, make sure you have a good response.. And dont take that as you will not be accepted, many of us were told either to reapply to medical school or take the mcat again etc and still were accepted.

Good luck!!

Oh by the way, I applied REALLLY late!! and received one of the first interviews!!

Should we be worried that the people who applied after us are receiving invites before us?

Good luck!!
Thank you so much for all of this, I appreciate it

Good luck!!
WOW!! Thank you so much for this information!! 40 seats are available this year?!?! THANK GOD, this is a real blessing to hear!

Thank you!!!!

Good luck!!
Do you happen to know when or how often the admissions committee meet to review applications? :) Thanks!

Should we be worried that the people who applied after us are receiving invites before us?
No, not necessarily.. I know there are those in our class who applied way earlier than I did and received interviews after... Along with this, I know people who literally got interviews later and were accepted last minute (after orientation).

Do you happen to know when or how often the admissions committee meet to review applications? :) Thanks!
Not sure, but my advice to anyone is that if you want it that bad make it known!! Show you are interested by calling etc, just not to the point where you are being annoying.. Dribin is normally good about keeping in touch with those they are interested in...

For current students or anyone else who might know... if accepted and beginning this fall with maintained 80% average would the student start as a M1 next fall (2017) or the following year?

For current students or anyone else who might know... if accepted and beginning this fall with maintained 80% average would the student start as a M1 next fall (2017) or the following year?
you would start the next fall... for example, if everything works out for us we will start come August.

Also, what is the typical schedule? (What hours/days are you in class, how much out of class studying is required?) I understand this is a rigorous program, not asking out of laziness lol just trying to get a bigger picture idea of what it's like.

Good luck!!
Thank you for the wonderful feedback of your experiences!
Would you also mind sharing:
1.) How many interviewers are there?
2.) What questions are asked during the interview?
3.) Is the interview friendly or tough and stressful?
4.) I have read in the forums that, "one year in the masters program is required to matriculate into the DO program." Does this mean two semesters, three semesters, and/or how many credits must be completed?
5.) What is the lowest MCAT score you know of being accepted?
6.) Do you know how many people were interviewed for your class?

Thank you in advance!

Also, what is the typical schedule? (What hours/days are you in class, how much out of class studying is required?) I understand this is a rigorous program, not asking out of laziness lol just trying to get a bigger picture idea of what it's like.
Depends on who you are... Some study all day long everyday just to get by, others get away with a few days before the exam and rock out.. Some are in between... Many do not go to class because they are disciplined to study on their own.. some go to class because without doing so they feel they have no structure... class schedule always changes, but normally from 8am- to 12pm or so most of the time with labs on weds or thursday from 1-3 or 3-5 depending on what you are assigned. Fridays MBS students have seminar, which is about an hour long normally from 1-2pm... Friday is normally pretty light... As MBS students we also get tutoring sessions from the professors that some feel are helpful and others believe is a waste of time... these can be pretty annoying because they can be scheduled randomly, for example we have one Friday from 2-4 or something like that after seminar so instead of just being done after seminar, and being able to study we have to go these reviews.... like i said some find them helpful others think they are a waste of time...

Depends on who you are... Some study all day long everyday just to get by, others get away with a few days before the exam and rock out.. Some are in between... Many do not go to class because they are disciplined to study on their own.. some go to class because without doing so they feel they have no structure... class schedule always changes, but normally from 8am- to 12pm or so most of the time with labs on weds or thursday from 1-3 or 3-5 depending on what you are assigned. Fridays MBS students have seminar, which is about an hour long normally from 1-2pm... Friday is normally pretty light... As MBS students we also get tutoring sessions from the professors that some feel are helpful and others believe is a waste of time... these can be pretty annoying because they can be scheduled randomly, for example we have one Friday from 2-4 or something like that after seminar so instead of just being done after seminar, and being able to study we have to go these reviews.... like i said some find them helpful others think they are a waste of time...
Thank you so much for all of this information. It's very helpful!

Good luck!!
Thanks for all of this, really appreciate it!

Thank you for the wonderful feedback of your experiences!
Would you also mind sharing:
1.) How many interviewers are there?
2.) What questions are asked during the interview?
3.) Is the interview friendly or tough and stressful?
4.) I have read in the forums that, "one year in the masters program is required to matriculate into the DO program." Does this mean two semesters, three semesters, and/or how many credits must be completed?
5.) What is the lowest MCAT score you know of being accepted?
6.) Do you know how many people were interviewed for your class?

Thank you in advance!
1) I had 3 interviewers
2) I was not asked many questions at all except for something personal in my application, they basically called me into the room and asked me about something on my application and told me they think I should reapply to medical school with my stats
3) very friendly, but can come off as being pressured like for example " why dont you just take your mcat again"
4) If you successfully keep above 80 in all of your classes you are considered to matriculate into the progam- example, for those of us who are in good standing and have above 80s in all of our classes including from fall and now winter semester, we will be interviewing for the DO program the end of April ( this is just formality) you are guaranteed your spot if you keep above 80 for fall and winter semester, if you fall below you will have to do a second year of the masters program ( fall below I mean you get a C in a class, anything lower you are dismissed.. i think you can basically get a C in just one class after that you are out, but it depends on gow many credits the class is)
5) lowest I heard was a 20, but thats what I have heard
6)Not sure how many people were interviewed, but this year was different... typically the class is much smaller, but last minute something happened with the medical school and their seats and etc where they made more seats available in the MBS program to see if some students from DO waitlist would be interested...not really sure what happened. so rather than having around 18 or so students like the prior year,our class is pretty large with like 35+ students. Turns out, the school sees that they can manage to have a bigger MBS class and therefore as far as we know will going forward have more seats available.

Do you know if there's anyone in the class that works and is still able to manage everything for school?

hello,
this is very refreshing to hear. Just curious....are you a first gen? If you don't mind me asking what personal challenges have you faced besides academics? there is always something that can help you stand out--trying to help you out here :)

hello,
this is very refreshing to hear. Just curious....are you a first gen? If you don't mind me asking what personal challenges have you faced besides academics? there is always something that can help you stand out--trying to help you out here :)
Hello yes I am. I'm the first to graduate college in my family. None of my friends are alive today and never saw 21 growing up in the neighborhood that I grew up in due the murder and violence in my neighboorhood. Sparked in me to be a difference maker. My mother struggled with drug addiction and breast cancer and I had to help her during my college career but I managed to graduate. Just always wanted to use my mind to be a positive influence. My dad and mother are divorced so I learned life through my own and my grandmother raised me and told me that with Christ by my side that I could do anything. She always supported my vision to become a doctor and so I'm praying that the door opens not for me but for my community and my family because they need it. So I'm determined to let her see me get that white coat before God decides to call her home

Last edited:
Hello yes I am. I'm the first to graduate college in my family. None of my friends are alive today and never saw 21 growing up in the neighborhood that I grew up in due the murder and violence in my neighboorhood. Sparked in me to be a difference maker. My mother struggled with drug addiction and breast cancer and I had to help her during my college career but I managed to graduate. Just always wanted to use my mind to be a positive influence. My dad and mother are divorced so I learned life through my own and my grandmother raised me and told me that with Christ by my side that I could do anything. She always supported my vision to become a doctor and so I'm praying that the door opens not for me but for my community and my family because they need it. So I'm determined to let her see me get that white coat before God decides to call her home
You will get everything that you wish for, just keep working hard as you have everyday, you'll get far in life you deserve it, and you will get the chance to make your grandmother proud once again!

I wish you all the best, this is all really powerful. Even if Nova's specific program doesn't work out for you this cycle, there are hundreds and hundreds of programs that will be lucky to have someone like you! Good luck!

I really admire this, your commitment and relentless pursuit through the trials and tribulations. There is no doubt you will achieve what you most desire. May God bless you on your path!

Hello yes I am. I'm the first to graduate college in my family. None of my friends are alive today and never saw 21 growing up in the neighborhood that I grew up in due the murder and violence in my neighborhood. Sparked in me to be a difference maker. My mother struggled with drug addiction and breast cancer and I had to help her during my college career but I managed to graduate. Just always wanted to use my mind to be a positive influence. My dad and mother are divorced so I learned life through my own and my grandmother raised me and told me that with Christ by my side that I could do anything. She always supported my vision to become a doctor and so I'm praying that the door opens not for me but for my community and my family because they need it. So I'm determined to let her see me get that white coat before God decides to call her home

what a great story! I myself am first generation in my family as well. I have also been relentlessly pursuing a career in medicine and have faced similar obstacles as you but slightly different.
Keep pushing and persevering! I just wanted to share my story with you in hopes to provide inspiration and encouragement to you and others in this thread
I have a family history of stuttering in my family. As a child and even throughout college I stuttered uncontrollably. For many years this was an impediment in my life which affected my academic performance and even my social life. I always thought that this was something I had to live with for the rest of my life until one day I realized that I had to do something about it-I wanted to change so badly. Today, un-ending motivation, immense discipline and perseverance has allowed me to transition to a new phase in my life where I no longer let stuttering control me but rather I control it. I no longer stutter!

Best of luck to all of you and stand strong! I hope that others are willing to share their stories

what a great story! I myself am first generation in my family as well. I have also been relentlessly pursuing a career in medicine and have faced similar obstacles as you but slightly different.
Keep pushing and persevering! I just wanted to share my story with you in hopes to provide inspiration and encouragement to you and others in this thread
I have a family history of stuttering in my family. As a child and even throughout college I stuttered uncontrollably. For many years this was an impediment in my life which affected my academic performance and even my social life. I always thought that this was something I had to live with for the rest of my life until one day I realized that I had to do something about it-I wanted to change so badly. Today, un-ending motivation, immense discipline and perseverance has allowed me to transition to a new phase in my life where I no longer let stuttering control me but rather I control it. I no longer stutter!

Best of luck to all of you and stand strong! I hope that others are willing to share their stories
I think it is incredible how so many of you have gone through difficult times and overcome obstacles in your lives, and somehow still manage to succeed! I know we all have our stories and I'm glad you have decided to share yours. I haven't had anything difficult per se happen to me, but I look at your stories and I admire your strength which then encourages me to keep on going and not giving up. Thank you again for sharing your story I know that it's not easy.

lol guys i'm ****ting my pants about this interview o_O

I have no doubt everyone on this thread will make a good doctor. We all have stories, want the same thing, competing for a seat but most importantly we still care about each other (strangers)! That's a beautiful thing and a good trait to have. Keep your head up everyone there's a time for us all.

Reactions: 6 users

Last edited:
It's not easy sharing the following but here it goes:

I have a neuromuscular disorder, no cure but there are effective treatments for management. I did great the first two years of college graduating with honors with AA degree. Then, came the progressive onset of symptoms which included diplopia, dysarthria, generalized weakness, severe fatigue and dysphagia. I reached a point I could not communicate with others, swallow food, exercise, lift something as light as a toothbrush. I went years without having a diagnosis, saw multiple doctors who dismissed it as stress related after running a series of tests. I was finally diagnosed months after graduating which at that point, my grades had already suffered somewhat. Taking the MCAT can be highly stressful and stress only makes my condition worse, which is why I fell short every time. After finally being diagnosed, I underwent several treatments, including being hospitalized for weeks time for IV therapy. I saw no improvement and decided on surgical intervention. Turned out, a tumor was exacerbating my symptoms. Since the removal, I have improved drastically and have remained overall stable. I'm still under treatment but very minimal as I am currently asymptomatic for the last 2 years now. These past few years have been dedicated to working in healthcare, acquiring as much clinical experience as possible and to pay off treatment and surgical costs in the thousands. I have had no difficulties whatsoever working under stressful circumstances which has only reassured my capacity to handle the stresses of this program. And now, here I am, applying for the opportunity to prove that I can handle and succeed in medical school and this program is the bridge I need. My whole experience has given me plenty of time to reflect and prioritize the things that mean the most to me. It has also been insightful as to the kind of doctor I aspire to become to help others as I have personally experienced through a patient's eyes the process of being diagnosed, receiving treatments, the social, physical, emotional and psychological toll disease has on an individual. I have met doctors and other medical students through support groups with the same chronic condition and they are an example to me that I can definitely live a lifelong careers dedicated to helping others.
Stay strong!!! You've made it this far which is awesome. Kudos to you.