NSU vs. UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSU vs. UNECOM

• NSU

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • UNECOM

Votes: 64 59.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Per suggestion, I believe this may give me quicker results. Comments and explanations are definitely welcome and encouraged. Thanks!

Since UNECOM and NSU are very different places with unique pros and cons, where are some of the factors that I have felt to be important:

1) Location - Since I am from MA, UNECOM would be closer to home (support system), but I've been around home for so long, it is time for a change.
2) Weather - Snow vs. No snow and hurricanes
3) Pass Rates - Upper 80s at UNECOM and Lower 90s
4) Activities - In the event that I EVER have time away from the books, both places have different activities to offer
5) Curriculum - Pretty different. Both offer some PBL at some point in the curriculum
6) Cost - Both in tuition (UNECOM higher) and cost of living (NSU higher). Comes out to be approximately the same.
7) Match List -
8) Size of classes - 125 vs 230 ?

Let me know of other factors that I should really be considering and vote vote vote! :) Thanks again everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I HOPE it helps anyway!!! :D

Psst! Maybe tell all those voters out there in SDN land some of your important considerations or something to help them chose for you?!! :cool:

just lettin u know..that this past hurricane season consists of light rains...and some afternoon showers...very weak..i wanted more

Members don't see this ad :)
just lettin u know..that this past hurricane season consists of light rains...and some afternoon showers...very weak..i wanted more
Nice. In New England, we have hurricanes also, but not nearly the same caliber as Southern Florida. I had the "it" feeling at NSU, but a "90% it" feeling after getting into UNE. Conflicted dude...

Being from So. FLA I'm partial to NSU. But since I saw that you did not put anything for matchlists, in case you don't have any info. on it, NSU matches residents in pretty competitive places. A lot will choose to stay in the area since the hospitals NSU is associated with are for the most part excellent and well recognized. Others will match at places such as Yale, Harvard, Stanford, just to throw out well recognized names. Matchlist should definitely play an important role in your decision, afterall these are places you may end up after graduation. Get info. on UNECOM matchlist and compare to help in your decision.

Being from So. FLA I'm partial to NSU. But since I saw that you did not put anything for matchlists, in case you don't have any info. on it, NSU matches residents in pretty competitive places. A lot will choose to stay in the area since the hospitals NSU is associated with are for the most part excellent and well recognized. Others will match at places such as Yale, Harvard, Stanford, just to throw out well recognized names. Matchlist should definitely play an important role in your decision, afterall these are places you may end up after graduation. Get info. on UNECOM matchlist and compare to help in your decision.
:) Sure have. I've seen the match list from both places and have compared them. The fact that I'm leaning towards a practice in the northeast makes me think that UNE may be the place, but on the other hand, would I be able to pass out a chance to do a residency at Yale, JHU, NYU, etc. UNE though has some big names too, Emory, Dartmouth, Mayo, Brown, to name a few. This all may end in a coin toss. Blah! :p

Okay, being from Maine, I am really biased; I also don't know anything about NSU. That being said, I would really think about UNECOM hard before you make your decision.

While right now you might think that it's time for a change of scenery, you may not feel that way next year. Med school can be hard and lonely sometimes, especially at first when you're just starting to make friends and find your rhythym. I have found that it is really, really helpful to have friends and family close by who you can visit during the long weekends-- it also helps keep you grounded.

UNECOM is also a great school; every student I've met that was trained there has been very kind and very competent. Also, if you're looking to do a residency in the northeast after med school, a lot of times it helps to train in the area in which you're looking to match because those hospitals are familiar with the quality of the regional medical schools.

Also, I'm guessing that UNECOM's class size is smaller (125 vs. 230). 124 classmates is still a lot of classmates, and with a huge class size like 230, I would kinda start to wonder about the cohesiveness of the student body.

Just a thought. Good luck on your decision.

Maybe I'm blind, but upon looking at the matchlists for the last 3 years at NSUCOM, I don't see Harvard/Stanford listed among any of the specialities. I do see Yale, but that is Yale/Bridgeport Hospital; I think it's safe to say that getting into the program of an affiliated hospital (and not the ACTUAL Yale IM program) isn't as much.

Of course, maybe you know the Harvard/Stanford matches personally, or perhaps some of the Traditional Rotating students end up at those institutions. I'm not sure.

Maybe I'm blind, but upon looking at the matchlists for the last 3 years at NSUCOM, I don't see Harvard/Stanford listed among any of the specialities. I do see Yale, but that is Yale/Bridgeport Hospital; I think it's safe to say that getting into the program of an affiliated hospital (and not the ACTUAL Yale IM program) isn't as much.

Of course, maybe you know the Harvard/Stanford matches personally, or perhaps some of the Traditional Rotating students end up at those institutions. I'm not sure.
What is sort of hidden is that many of the trad rotating people get into competitive residencies that aren't listed there. So, Harvard and Stanford may be hidden in there. One other thing I noticed is that it is not a complete list of he 230+ students. Am I wrong about this? Never the less, I see some impressive places.

Okay, being from Maine, I am really biased; I also don't know anything about NSU. That being said, I would really think about UNECOM hard before you make your decision.

While right now you might think that it's time for a change of scenery, you may not feel that way next year. Med school can be hard and lonely sometimes, especially at first when you're just starting to make friends and find your rhythym. I have found that it is really, really helpful to have friends and family close by who you can visit during the long weekends-- it also helps keep you grounded.

UNECOM is also a great school; every student I've met that was trained there has been very kind and very competent. Also, if you're looking to do a residency in the northeast after med school, a lot of times it helps to train in the area in which you're looking to match because those hospitals are familiar with the quality of the regional medical schools.

Also, I'm guessing that UNECOM's class size is smaller (125 vs. 230). 124 classmates is still a lot of classmates, and with a huge class size like 230, I would kinda start to wonder about the cohesiveness of the student body.

Just a thought. Good luck on your decision.
Definitely Silas. Things that I have considered. I will have a support group at both places. In theory though, my family can see within 3 hours either way, via car to UNECOM and via airoplane to NSUCOM. So, it's not that "big" of a deal...though $$ talks. I do have friends in the NSU area, some who I hung out with after my interview there.

As silly as it may have sound, I have made friends with people on here that are highly considering NSU. Though it's not 100% certain, it's a good chance I'll have friends in the incoming class. I've done SO much research on these school as some of my friends on here can attest to, and I think it's all the research that has contributed to the difficulty in my decision. Thanks for the post. :)

The class size does matter to me.

As silly as it may have sound, I have made friends with people on here that are highly considering NSU. Though it's not 100% certain, it's a good chance I'll have friends in the incoming class.

Hey HOD, hopefully as one of said friends, I might even consider letting you ride in my talking black TransAm, as I drive the beach in my "south beach thong" scoping out the ladies!

10ea21402cb510e3ba32f3dd605b3dbe5e599d81

image courtesy of bodymechanic (not an image OF bodymechanic)

Hey HOD, hopefully as one of said friends, I might even consider letting you ride in my talking black TransAm, as I drive the beach in my "south beach thong" scoping out the ladies!

10ea21402cb510e3ba32f3dd605b3dbe5e599d81

image courtesy of bodymechanic (not an image OF bodymechanic)
Why? lol. His rubber band needs to be adjusted. Do we have a surgical resident here? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, HemeOnc, I will have to defer my suggestion for a bit, considering I just returned from my NSUCOM interview yesterday. If I get in I predict I will be in the same situation as you are....:oops:

I'm surprised that UNE is winning since I hear so many people rave about NSU on these boards. That's kinda cool, actually! Or maybe everyone just wants you to free up a spot for them at NSU!

Well, HemeOnc, I will have to defer my suggestion for a bit, considering I just returned from my NSUCOM interview yesterday. If I get in I predict I will be in the same situation as you are....:oops:

Yeah, let me know when you do. It'll be cool if we can talk things over together. I'm sorry we didn't get to talk more during UNE. :)

I'm surprised that UNE is winning since I hear so many people rave about NSU on these boards. That's kinda cool, actually! Or maybe everyone just wants you to free up a spot for them at NSU!

I'm trying to post in both places, so people from both places can contribute.

:) Sure have. I've seen the match list from both places and have compared them. The fact that I'm leaning towards a practice in the northeast makes me think that UNE may be the place, but on the other hand, would I be able to pass out a chance to do a residency at Yale, JHU, NYU, etc. UNE though has some big names too, Emory, Dartmouth, Mayo, Brown, to name a few. This all may end in a coin toss. Blah! :p
Definitely. :) Like I said, I may just come down to where you see yourself in 10 years (interview question, hint) lol. whether in So. FLA or NE.

Well, I got a couple from students at NSU, and in one of my conversations with the dean, he revealed a student being matched at Yale IM program, and it was confirmed by a few students. I'm just repeating what I heard, and personally, doctors from NSU end up in residencies I'd like to be in and I know them personally.

Well, I got a couple from students at NSU, and in one of my conversations with the dean, he revealed a student being matched at Yale IM program, and it was confirmed by a few students. I'm just repeating what I heard, and personally, doctors from NSU end up in residencies I'd like to be in and I know them personally.
Yale is definitely on there as is Johs Hopkins. I'd have to go look to make sure, but you can look at the various threads about NSU's matchlist for "reassurance."

I've answered the "where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 15 years?" questions too many times. I can see myself in both places. I've done the research and have several rating systems and spreadsheets comparing my schools.

I'm seriously considering a coin toss. I'm going to be revisiting both schools before I make my final decision, so hopefully it'll be quite evident. Thanks again.

It's pretty funny that I've been getting a lot of support for NSU and the poll hasn't reflected it.

If possible, could individuals, who have/had gained addmission to both NSU and UNE, PM me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :D

I've done the research and have several rating systems and spreadsheets comparing my schools. I'm seriously considering a coin toss. I'm going to be revisiting both schools before I make my final decision, so hopefully it'll be quite evident. Thanks again.

Dude, that's hardcore! You should publish your findings!:p

I think it's pretty funny as well, from all the support nsu receives on the threads i would have thought it went the other way. it may have to do with a lot of the people voting being from up north. I know that was my bias as well. by the way does anyone have any pics of unecom to share?

lol. Not really. It's just made me even more confused. You can't be objective with a rating system.

In addition to identifying the factors did u prioritize them, i.e. which factors weigh more? Are there non-negotiables and if so does one school rank the same as the other on those?

I love NSU-COM but from what I've seen and heard on this site UNECOM seems to also be an awesome school; u do have to make a difficult decision but ur in a great situation. CONGRATS on getting accepted to both.

P.S. I say go to UNECOM cause that way there will be one more openning at NSU-COM for me...:laugh:

P.P.S. Actually, I'm going to vote for NSU-COM...I think you'll be an asset to my favorite school whether I end up there or not...also, I get the feeling that ur slightly leaning in favor of NSU-COM.

Best of luck. :luck:

OMG, I thought I was the only person who did this...we definitely have to talk!:laugh:

Oh, bring it on, kiddingme! :p

I think it's pretty funny as well, from all the support nsu receives on the threads i would have thought it went the other way. it may have to do with a lot of the people voting being from up north. I know that was my bias as well. by the way does anyone have any pics of unecom to share?

I'm trying to spread out my posts between NSU and UNE, so I can catch people from both sides. UNECOM pictures are provided by dgriss1 and drkuba in Dave's dizzing D.O. etc...a lot of alliteration! :)

In addition to identifying the factors did u prioritize them, i.e. which factors weigh more? Are there non-negotiables and if so does one school rank the same as the other on those?

I love NSU-COM but from what I've seen and heard on this site UNECOM seems to also be an awesome school; u do have to make a difficult decision but ur in a great situation. CONGRATS on getting accepted to both.

P.S. I say go to UNECOM cause that way there will be one more openning at NSU-COM for me...:laugh:

P.P.S. Actually, I'm going to vote for NSU-COM...I think you'll be an asset to my favorite school whether I end up there or not...also, I get the feeling that ur slightly leaning in favor of NSU-COM.

Best of luck. :luck:

Oh I've run through the list, prioritized, assigned different weight for certain categories and such...lol. Both of them are awesome schools, and thank you for your congratulations.

Best of luck with the process, and feel free to PM or whatever if you have questions that I may be able to answer. Today I was leaning towards NSU, yesterday I was leaning towards UNE. It's a never ending see-saw. Well, wherever I choose to go, the other seat will be lukewarm, but definitely "sit-able."

And if I do choose UNE, you're welcome to my NSU spot. You may have to battle though...:eek:

Oh, bring it on, kiddingme! :p

I'm trying to spread out my posts between NSU and UNE, so I can catch people from both sides. UNECOM pictures are provided by dgriss1 and drkuba in Dave's dizzing D.O. etc...a lot of alliteration! :)

Oh I've run through the list, prioritized, assigned different weight for certain categories and such...lol. Both of them are awesome schools, and thank you for your congratulations.

Best of luck with the process, and feel free to PM or whatever if you have questions that I may be able to answer. Today I was leaning towards NSU, yesterday I was leaning towards UNE. It's a never ending see-saw. Well, wherever I choose to go, the other seat will be lukewarm, but definitely "sit-able."

And if I do choose UNE, you're welcome to my NSU spot. You may have to battle though...:eek:
well I hope it's NSU, it seems we would make great classmates, so here's to psyching you out for NSU

******PSYCH!!!******

OMG,
I have just received an interview invite to NSU-COM for the end of this month...I'm so happy!!!:)

P.S. Thanks for the support; keep me in ur prayers. Peace

Go NSU-COM Class of 2011 :love:

OMG,
I have just received an interview invite to NSU-COM for the end of this month...I'm so happy!!!:)

Hey, good luck at your interview, sasevan! Enjoy the food too!

can i vote based on the state i'd rather you be in so i can visit? if so, it'd be unecom...yummy lobstahs! get in my belly!!! lol :p

OMG,

Let me know how it goes and/or you need some questions answered. Go get 'em! Let me know if you have that decision in the future.

can i vote based on the state i'd rather you be in so i can visit? if so, it'd be unecom...yummy lobstahs! get in my belly!!! lol :p
You can do whatever you want Rub! You already expressed it on the phone the other day. lol. I'm hungry for lobster now, grr!

Thanks toothless rufus and HemaOncoDoc.
How long after interviewing did u get accepted?:confused:
I still can't believe that I'm going to the interview next week; this gives me hope that I may be accepted quickly enough so that I don't have to send deposit on 12/14 to the school I've already been accepted at.

NSU-COM Class of 2011 (Hopefully)

I still can't believe that I'm going to the interview next week; this gives me hope that I may be accepted quickly enough so that I don't have to send deposit on 12/14 to the school I've already been accepted at.

Good Luck!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I interviewed at the right time since I heard from UNE in four days. They do not seem to have a set schedule as to when they meet to review applications. They set a date of four to six weeks. It was about two weeks between the first and second round of acceptances, so strictly based on that, every two weeks? Best of :luck: :luck: :luck: !

I interviewed at the right time since I heard from UNE in four days. They do not seem to have a set schedule as to when they meet to review applications. They set a date of four to six weeks. It was about two weeks between the first and second round of acceptances, so strictly based on that, every two weeks? Best of :luck: :luck: :luck: !
Yes, you'll pretty much know when you hear from NSU, since... they TELL you lol. During your interview date they will let you know when the Adcomm meets and when they will call you to let you know. It was quick for me...interview Oct. 31---> Adcomm met on Nov. 2---> Got the call Nov. 4... A week.

I'm glad. I interviewed on an off week, so I had to wait two weeks. In addition to that, I had to wait over a weekend due to administrative problems. I was relieved to hear from NSU since I got the overwhelming feeling that I belonged there. Two days later, I heard from DMU. It was a good week.

Yes, you'll pretty much know when you hear from NSU, since... they TELL you lol. During your interview date they will let you know when the Adcomm meets and when they will call you to let you know. It was quick for me...interview Oct. 31---> Adcomm met on Nov. 2---> Got the call Nov. 4... A week.

I interviewed Oct12, and found out Oct28. There was an AOA convention that delayed the adcom meeting.

Thank you all for the support and the info on the usual time frame between interview and acceptance.
I hope u all decide to go to NSU-COM...and that I get accepted.:p

Both schools have a good and not so good qualities. You have to pick what is best for you. Having 220 people in your class, just means that you are likely to be smarter than more people.

In my opinion the class size doesn't count simply because we more or less learn on our own. At least in my case, text books become your best friend. Some teachers are good at teaching without a text book some you are begging them to give you a text book and the outline that corresponds to their blabel.

So, I would suggest that you spend the extra money and visit the schools again, till you get the right feeling of what fits you best.

BTW, NOVA did something nice, that I hope UNECOM will implement. They purchased Kaplan for the whole class in order to make sure the do better on exams. (at least that is what I was told 2 years ago when I interviewed there).

With the winter here now... and snow about to fall at any time. I wish their was a teleporter between NSU and UNECOM. I like the snow... but I am afraid of it every year. Okay not really afraid, just like ohhh nooo here we go again.

BTW, NSU has a lot more money than many other DO schools. Walking around in Scrubs all day, or shirt and tie is hotter then walking around with UNE sweater... it is not as comfortable but just imagine.. Shy in scrubs.. heheheh

Someone said something about Anatomy and 4 people to bod... haaaa.. if you are like me.. 1 month through anatomy and you will wish you had a whole army working on one body. Ahhhh yes... that over eager feeling to learn everything will go away soon enough.

Having 220 people in your class, just means that you are likely to be smarter than more people.

Some teachers are good at teaching without a text book some you are begging them to give you a text book and the outline that corresponds to their blabel.

LOL! :D

Someone said something about Anatomy and 4 people to bod... haaaa.. if you are like me.. 1 month through anatomy and you will wish you had a whole army working on one body. Ahhhh yes... that over eager feeling to learn everything will go away soon enough.

Idealism meets realism, heh!

Geez, I can't wait to start medical school!

I thought everyone drifted down the medical school hallways in their white coats, always wearing bemused and knowing somber expressions, nodding with enlightenment to each other in passing, as they continue their selfless blessed journey to become the saviors of the universe!

Please don't ruin the dream!:p

OMG,

Sweet..I knkow that's what you were waiting for..hope mine comes soon too..how long where you complete there?

I love NSU:love:

Both schools have a good and not so good qualities. You have to pick what is best for you. Having 220 people in your class, just means that you are likely to be smarter than more people.

In my opinion the class size doesn't count simply because we more or less learn on our own. At least in my case, text books become your best friend. Some teachers are good at teaching without a text book some you are begging them to give you a text book and the outline that corresponds to their blabel.

So, I would suggest that you spend the extra money and visit the schools again, till you get the right feeling of what fits you best.

BTW, NOVA did something nice, that I hope UNECOM will implement. They purchased Kaplan for the whole class in order to make sure the do better on exams. (at least that is what I was told 2 years ago when I interviewed there).

I believe I'm the type of person that learns the best on my own initially, but I like to bat around topics with a group of people that know their stuff. We each have our strengths and come from different backgrounds. I feel that cohesiveness at UNE, but not so much at NSU.

The class size doesn't irk me so much. In both settings, you're bound to have your own clique or a group of individuals that you study best with. Smarter than more in a class of 230 students ...? I think I'll wait to find that out. ;)

I'm going to have a second look at both places.

The Kaplan course is a huge thing. The thought I got from UNE is that they're trying to get Kaplan to their campus this year or the following year.

With the winter here now... and snow about to fall at any time. I wish their was a teleporter between NSU and UNECOM. I like the snow... but I am afraid of it every year. Okay not really afraid, just like ohhh nooo here we go again.

BTW, NSU has a lot more money than many other DO schools. Walking around in Scrubs all day, or shirt and tie is hotter then walking around with UNE sweater... it is not as comfortable but just imagine.. Shy in scrubs.. heheheh

I'm used to the snow. Doesn't bother me.

I'm used to the shirt and tie affair. Doesn't bother me.

UNE is collecting money for a new research building, but it probably won't be built until my second or third year. That doesn't help me as much. Also, what I heard about NSU's new biomedical research building and the thoughts of a new teaching hospital across from the Terry building really peaked my interest. :eek:

Mmm...learning!

Sweet..I knkow that's what you were waiting for..hope mine comes soon too..how long where you complete there?

I love NSU:love:
:thumbup:

Thanks EC,
I was complete there since mid-Oct but from what i understand u don't have to be complete to get an interview but u do have to be complete before an offer.
I know NSU-COM is ur first choice too so best of luck; keep the faith.:luck:

I believe I'm the type of person that learns the best on my own initially, but I like to bat around topics with a group of people that know their stuff. We each have our strengths and come from different backgrounds. I feel that cohesiveness at UNE, but not so much at NSU.

The class size doesn't irk me so much. In both settings, you're bound to have your own clique or a group of individuals that you study best with. Smarter than more in a class of 230 students ...? I think I'll wait to find that out. ;)

I'm going to have a second look at both places.

The Kaplan course is a huge thing. The thought I got from UNE is that they're trying to get Kaplan to their campus this year or the following year.

I'm used to the snow. Doesn't bother me.

I'm used to the shirt and tie affair. Doesn't bother me.

UNE is collecting money for a new research building, but it probably won't be built until my second or third year. That doesn't help me as much. Also, what I heard about NSU's new biomedical research building and the thoughts of a new teaching hospital across from the Terry building really peaked my interest. :eek:

Mmm...learning!
NSU does a bit of PBL as well. So you are in a group of eight with an instructor a few hours a week. That's a hotbed for batting around topics with a group of people that know their stuff. hehe.

NSU does a bit of PBL as well. So you are in a group of eight with an instructor a few hours a week. That's a hotbed for batting around topics with a group of people that know their stuff. hehe.
Yeah. It's during second year when PBL is incorporated into the curriculum. Both of the schools that I'm looking at have PBL somewhere within its curriculum.

OK sorry, you know more of UNE than I do for obvious reasons.

Did you say obvious?! D-oh!