NSU vs. UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSU vs. UNECOM

• NSU

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • UNECOM

Votes: 64 59.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you for all this input everyone. It's nice to see that NSU is keeping up with UNE. Does anyone have more input? Or other factors that they believe should be weighed into my decision. The criteria I had above isn't all the factors I'm considering, just some of them. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I am all about NSU

1. Dual degree in MPH..free and no extra years
2. Students seem like a cohesive bunch(halloween parties and socials)
3. International rotations avalible
4. Really gives back to community (health fairs and goes into schools)
5. Patient exposure 1st year...
6. Alumni are doing some great things

Tons more.but gotta run

Thank you for all this input everyone. It's nice to see that NSU is keeping up with UNE. Does anyone have more input? Or other factors that they believe should be weighed into my decision. The criteria I had above isn't all the factors I'm considering, just some of them. Thanks everyone!

Yah - lots of votes but not lots of reasoning & insight given to match the number of votes!!! LOL!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah - lots of votes but not lots of reasoning & insight given to match the number of votes!!! LOL!!
That doesn't matter so much. Each component is valuable. Thanks everyone and keep on offering insight and voting! :) Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it. Be safe during this "long" weekend.

That doesn't matter so much. Each component is valuable. Thanks everyone and keep on offering insight and voting! :) Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it. Be safe during this "long" weekend.
here's some insight for ya...........................................NSU rocks!!!!!! lol

HemaOncoDoc, I am also from new england and have lived here just about my entire life. I was deciding between UNECOM and NSU, but chose NSU. I loved the school and am ready for a change!

HemaOncoDoc, I am also from new england and have lived here just about my entire life. I was deciding between UNECOM and NSU, but chose NSU. I loved the school and am ready for a change!
Awesome Bella. What made you decide on NSU over UNE? PM me or answer me here. :) Thanks!

HemOncoDoc, if I might give my input here. I haven't interviewed at UNECOM yet, I'll be there on Thurs. But I see nothing wrong with the "flip a coin method." If it helps, I changed my major because the chemistry building on my campus was much nicer. It was the newest building and had a student lounge. And the bathrooms were clean and the toilets flushed automatically. I wasn't really happy with bio, and that's how I switched my major. And I'm happy with it. I really enjoyed it.

That was back in ym freshman year. Towards the end of my fresh. year, I considered transferring schools. I visited a couple colleges, filled out a few applications, but then decided to stay because me and a group of friends had a "tangerine party" in the bathroom before class. I figured there was no way I could give this up. So I stayed, and looking back, I'm really happy I stayed. I made some great friends and had some great profs.

So the point of my whole story is sometimes you can't make a decision based on rational thought and reason. Sometimes you just need to make a decision based on a gut feeling. If you are leaning towards NSUCOM because you are going to have friends there, then go for it. If you are leaning towards UNECOM because you like having snowball fights, than in my opinion, that's a fine reason to choose UNECOM. In the end, you just have to trust that you'll end up where you're supposed to.

HemOncoDoc, if I might give my input here. I haven't interviewed at UNECOM yet, I'll be there on Thurs. But I see nothing wrong with the "flip a coin method." If it helps, I changed my major because the chemistry building on my campus was much nicer. It was the newest building and had a student lounge. And the bathrooms were clean and the toilets flushed automatically. I wasn't really happy with bio, and that's how I switched my major. And I'm happy with it. I really enjoyed it.

That was back in ym freshman year. Towards the end of my fresh. year, I considered transferring schools. I visited a couple colleges, filled out a few applications, but then decided to stay because me and a group of friends had a "tangerine party" in the bathroom before class. I figured there was no way I could give this up. So I stayed, and looking back, I'm really happy I stayed. I made some great friends and had some great profs.

So the point of my whole story is sometimes you can't make a decision based on rational thought and reason. Sometimes you just need to make a decision based on a gut feeling. If you are leaning towards NSUCOM because you are going to have friends there, then go for it. If you are leaning towards UNECOM because you like having snowball fights, than in my opinion, that's a fine reason to choose UNECOM. In the end, you just have to trust that you'll end up where you're supposed to.
Thanks. That's some good input.

I agree with musiclink213. I could be happy at either school but I thought I would personally get more out of school at NSUCOM because it was a different environment for me.

Im not sure if there was one deciding factor for me, more of a just a feeling I guess. I know that doesn't help you too much though.

hemaoncodoc-
NSU all the way. I will be leaving Chicago-and all of its awesome hospitals and med schools for the great weather of So. Fl. But, let's not forget that Nova offers such great residencies (AOA) in addition to the other great schools that students match into.

I agree with musiclink213. I could be happy at either school but I thought I would personally get more out of school at NSUCOM because it was a different environment for me.

Im not sure if there was one deciding factor for me, more of a just a feeling I guess. I know that doesn't help you too much though.
Every opinion counts, Bella.

Members don't see this ad :)
hemaoncodoc-
NSU all the way. I will be leaving Chicago-and all of its awesome hospitals and med schools for the great weather of So. Fl. But, let's not forget that Nova offers such great residencies (AOA) in addition to the other great schools that students match into.
Agreed, but how does that different from UNE besides the weather?

because UNE only has residencies in Family Med, NMM, and the rotating?
You know that's not true. Path, Obg, Pre Surg, PSY, are among others at UNE. Also, IM is needed for the many of the subspecialities. So, when it lists IM, it may not be only IM.

:sleep: same old. haha
can I vote again?

Well the percentages really haven't varied far from a 60-40 split since you put this poll into action... What's it gonna be, buddy??!! :D

:cool: NSU-COM:cool:

NSU2.jpg

Interviewed at NOVA and was accepted via phone call a week later! Truly the nicest of all schools I have seen so far, and yes, they do seem to have a LOT of $$$$, which never hurts.... :)

I can't see a negative right now.....:thumbup: :D

just to clarify a few things about UNE... (i'm a big proponent of having all the correct information - the school will sell itself, I don't like to sugarcoat stuff) - the simman stuff is in westbrook and is mainly a PA/nursing thing. We do have some simman stuff in Biddeford, and it's being worked into the curriculum. by the time you guys are 2nd years it's going to be GREAT. UNE itself does actually only have a family practice and a NMM residency (and a combined program). however there are a number of residencies in the OPTI that are associated with UNE so to speak, but not actually UNE residencies. Plus Maine Med is like 20 minutes away and has some GREAT residency programs. Hope this helps!

forget nsu and unecom...come to tucom with me (or ccom if i'm lucky enough) :):luck:
You know I'd love to go to the same school as you. Everytime I see your little avatar, I think, I made that for her! :p We'll have to visit each other's campuses in the future!

Interviewed at NOVA and was accepted via phone call a week later! Truly the nicest of all schools I have seen so far, and yes, they do seem to have a LOT of $$$$, which never hurts.... :)

I can't see a negative right now.....:thumbup: :D

Awesome! Congrats!

just to clarify a few things about UNE... (i'm a big proponent of having all the correct information - the school will sell itself, I don't like to sugarcoat stuff) - the simman stuff is in westbrook and is mainly a PA/nursing thing. We do have some simman stuff in Biddeford, and it's being worked into the curriculum. by the time you guys are 2nd years it's going to be GREAT. UNE itself does actually only have a family practice and a NMM residency (and a combined program). however there are a number of residencies in the OPTI that are associated with UNE so to speak, but not actually UNE residencies. Plus Maine Med is like 20 minutes away and has some GREAT residency programs. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

Well the percentages really haven't varied far from a 60-40 split since you put this poll into action... What's it gonna be, buddy??!! :D

lol. Ask me again when you decide. :p

So HOD, which way are you leaning today? I think you may just have to become the first person to simultaneously attend two medical schools at once! Just think! 2 DOs after your name! Rearrange them to Dr. D.O.O.D.! How cool is that!?

Seriously, I bet you can go back and forth between the two until the sun goes supernova, and those old school skinny leather piano ties come back in style: and still be at square one! I know I'm like that. Just keep weighing and reweighing so each choice comes out on top, or ties. And for right now, I'm glad I don't have that stress! If I do end up with a UNE acceptance (come on, decision already!)... I want to borrow your spreadsheets! :)

Actually, I am quite nearly fairly almost certain that its gonna be NSU no matter what! (Just one of those ESP things.) Sending in my deposit this Friday will seal the deal.

You know, I think a good way to do this is to base your decision on the percentage of SDNers that decide to matriculate at NSU! Greater than 50%, and off you go!

So HOD, which way are you leaning today? I think you may just have to become the first person to simultaneously attend two medical schools at once! Just think! 2 DOs after your name! Rearrange them to Dr. D.O.O.D.! How cool is that!?

Seriously, I bet you can go back and forth between the two until the sun goes supernova, and those old school skinny leather piano ties come back in style: and still be at square one! I know I'm like that. Just keep weighing and reweighing so each choice comes out on top, or ties. And for right now, I'm glad I don't have that stress! If I do end up with a UNE acceptance (come on, decision already!)... I want to borrow your spreadsheets! :)

Actually, I am quite nearly fairly almost certain that its gonna be NSU no matter what! (Just one of those ESP things.) Sending in my deposit this Friday will seal the deal.

You know, I think a good way to do this is to base your decision on the percentage of SDNers that decide to matriculate at NSU! Greater than 50%, and off you go!
D.O.O.D sounds awesome! I could go for that. I'm going to visit both places again for some critical analysis and my decision will most likely be finalized.

Ask and you shall receive, my toothless fried.

Would >50% of SDNers pick NSU? Surely possible, but is it probable? That would be a skewed representation.

:smuggrin: numbers SUCK!! HAHA

what other schools have you seen?

LECOM Erie & Bradenton, TOURO- MI & NV, CCOM, AZCOM, UMDNJ-STRATFORD, MEDICAL COLLEGE OF WISCONSIN-

SORRY- IVE BEEN OUT OF TOWN!

hey HOD, I spoke with UMDNJ and they told me that I will almost certainly be accepted. Problem is that now I am starting to think that I am a better fit at Nova and maybe that's more important than paper! Man, what have I gotten myself into!

hey HOD, I spoke with UMDNJ and they told me that I will almost certainly be accepted. Problem is that now I am starting to think that I am a better fit at Nova and maybe that's more important than paper! Man, what have I gotten myself into!

Quick! Call the CDC and quarantine HOD! He is the vector for a highly contagious strain of vacillitis!

Awesome dude! Neither school can go wrong with you as a student. You can use my handy dandy chart to be objective...lol. I have realized that being "objective" narrows your choices, but at the very end, it's your subjectivity that will reveal where you're going to go.

Quick! Call the CDC and quarantine HOD! He is the vector for a highly contagious strain of vacillitis!

So, yeah, I'm in quarantine right now thanks to toothless rufus. The sterile clothing is itchy...

thoughts on UMDNJ Vs. Nova SE? I am going to have to decide soon here.....

So, yeah, I'm in quarantine right now thanks to toothless rufus. The sterile clothing is itchy...

So very sorry HOD, but it won't be for long! Apparently it should clear up on its own by December 15th.

Hmm - I think D.O.D.O. is at least as good!! :laugh:

MD/DO Almost: What is it that you are holding in your avatar? It looks like the disembodied torso of a fat man wearing a nasty gray sweatshirt.

MD/DO Almost: What is it that you are holding in your avatar? It looks like the disembodied torso of a fat man wearing a nasty gray sweatshirt.
lol. I'm not him, but maybe a hammerhead shark head. :eek:

OMG,
I have just received an interview invite to NSU-COM for the end of this month...I'm so happy!!!:)

P.S. Thanks for the support; keep me in ur prayers. Peace

Go NSU-COM Class of 2011 :love:

Wait ... youre interview is for the end of november?? And you received the invite on 11/20?? How did i receive an interview invite for Feb. and i got my invite on 11/28???

Wait ... youre interview is for the end of november?? And you received the invite on 11/20?? How did i receive an interview invite for Feb. and i got my invite on 11/28???

It's probably because sasevan is in state.It was the same for me, got an invite Nov 10th and the interview was for Nov 17th