NSUCOM class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepPsych72

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like others I am waiting on NSUCOM to render a post-interview decision. It appears that the process comes to a grinding halt just prior to the MARCH 15 deposit deadline. I'm assuming that based on the data that MOMGRACEA posted that about 1/3 of the seats become reavailable after this deadline passes, much like when we register for classes at the beginning of the semester vs. pre-registering the previous semester. I really liked this school after my interview and tour. There are excellent opportunities once accepted for paying tuition and for the record I have the deposit waiting and if I'm accepted I'm overnighting the check. LOL
Good luck to everybody and please let me know if there are discrepancies in my previous assumptions.
I'm 33 and ther will be lots of preparation for me, the wife, and the 2 kids in moving there. But I know I would get an excellent education.

Members don't see this ad.

Im with you Sleeppsych, Im an alternate as well have the check written and sealed just waiting for the call from Rachel. My wife has been researching jobs down there and we've been looking online at condos/townhouses for the last couple of weeks. Good luck.

I interviewed there last friday the 9th. and really liked the school.

My interview went very well, and I am hopeful that I will hear some good news soon about the decision to accept me for c/o 2011.

Good luck to all of us ! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
best of luck all of u..let us all know if and when u guys get accepted!

It's official now I am also an alternate as well!

Any alternates get "the call" today?

Hang in there guys and girls. There should be movement soon.

In speaking with one of the counselors the other day, the person noted NSU does differentiate between alternates and those on the waitlist but I didn't have time to ask why. Does anyone know the difference?

Alternate list bad.
Wait list good.

I don't know what the alternate list means exactly but a waitlist means that an acceptance is pending provided enough spots open up after the deposit deadline.

I think you have that switched around there SleepPsych, from what Rachel has told me alternate means close to getting in, waitlist means well waiting to see. Just from what I have heard.

I think you have that switched around there SleepPsych, from what Rachel has told me alternate means close to getting in, waitlist means well waiting to see. Just from what I have heard.

Yep alternate is better than waitlist. I'm an alternate so I should be hearing from them today or monday.

Perhaps both of you all are right. I was thinking it was the other way around.

I've withdrawn from NSU class of 2011 so hopefully with seats like mine opening up you guys will see movement soon! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I'm speaking with Rachel Weiner right now and its the waitlist thats good like I said and the alternate less is slightly less than good. In fact waitlist is guaranteed a spot either this year or the next year she is telling me at this very moment so please be advised

Then I think Rachel is messing with all of us, as I was told I am an alternate and that I am the first person in if someone withdraws and that if no one does I am guaranteed a spot next year, my guess is that alternate/waitlist is the same thing for NSU or Rachel just is not telling anyone of us the full truth.

Anyone on the waitlist heard anything today?

I just spoke with Rachel and I am on the waitlist too. She said that the waitlist was better than the alternate list, but she could just be telling us what we want to hear. She also said it may be a month until we hear back again..

Okay so Rachel just confirmed what all of you are saying that waitlist is better, and I also found out that I am on the waitlist, and was also told about the guarantee for EC2008 possibility. I guess I was misinformed the first time she called and I am not an alternate, but a waitlister with all of you guys, I wonder how long the waitlist is if its such a high level list. Anyhow sorry to stir things up guys and gals. But seems I am now on the right page.

I spoke to Rachel Weiner and she told me that the alternate list was different from the waitlist. She explained to me that those that are waitlisted are accepted but currently there is no room. She told me that alternate list was a better list to be on.

I am so confused at this point that I don't know what to think.

It seems to be the most common story from Rachel that waitlist means accepted no room, which means you get a spot this year or next. Alternate means you are waiting for a spot on the waitlist. Thats atleast what she told me and seems to fit with what was said above. Who knows for sure, I loved NSU in general, but thus far the adcom has left something to be desired in terms of efficiency and consistency. But with that said, what I was told today fits with what everyone above has heard, also check with Rachel to be sure youre an alternate, and not a waitlist person. Anyhow good luck to everybody.

The amount of movement on whatever you want to call the list (I have never before heard that we have two lists)...depends on the year.

The class of 2009 did not have much movement.
The class of 2010 had a ton of movement.

It is variable from year to year. Everyone, keep your ears perked up...and be patient. :) We're doing our best to get you the information that you all want and trying very hard to make admissions run smoothly. (We are getting better--but obviously still not 100% there).

Good luck to all.

It seems to be the most common story from Rachel that waitlist means accepted no room, which means you get a spot this year or next. Alternate means you are waiting for a spot on the waitlist. Thats atleast what she told me and seems to fit with what was said above. Who knows for sure, I loved NSU in general, but thus far the adcom has left something to be desired in terms of efficiency and consistency. But with that said, what I was told today fits with what everyone above has heard, also check with Rachel to be sure youre an alternate, and not a waitlist person. Anyhow good luck to everybody.

Yep this is correct, an alternate is an applicant waiting to get a spot on the waitlist. So I guess it's a waitlist for a waitlist. Weird!!!

Does anyone happen to have Rachel's number or email address at NOVA? I can't seem to find it.
Thanks!!!

i was told alternate list and wait list is the same thing

I heard the same thing Neuro27

Anyone else from the alternate/waitlist recieve any form of written statement regarding your status? I have not yet and I have spoken to others who have received them. Also, does anyone know any information about this supposed guarantee of a seat in the next class? It was mentioned above and in passing on the phone with Rachel, but I cannot find anything about it online with NSU.

Has anyone that was on either of the lists heard back from nova with a final decision?

so I just soke to Rachel and she told me that I was waitlisted.. so I guess that I will be waiting with the rest of you for some movement.. Good luck!

Like the rest of us I'm trying to wait patiently for some type of news. I guess since its spring break we will have to wait probably another week or two for an update. In the mean time I've been searching for some housing down there its pretty expensive compared to where I live so I will try and save money from working over the summer. The cheapest I've found was 450 per month but I'm afraid that the neighborhood might be a little less than desirable. If you have updates or whatever on housing please post this information. I've been using Yahoo and it seems to be a pretty good resource.

umm..spring break for us doesnt start until march 31st...so its not that.

Like the rest of us I'm trying to wait patiently for some type of news. I guess since its spring break we will have to wait probably another week or two for an update. In the mean time I've been searching for some housing down there its pretty expensive compared to where I live so I will try and save money from working over the summer. The cheapest I've found was 450 per month but I'm afraid that the neighborhood might be a little less than desirable. If you have updates or whatever on housing please post this information. I've been using Yahoo and it seems to be a pretty good resource.
450/month would probably be a much less than desirable neighborhood..and a pretty long drive from school. Most 1br apts in the area run right around 1k/month. If you look on Craigslist, you may be able to find something in an okay neighborhood for more like 800. If 450 sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

You MAY be able to rent a single room in a house for around 450 per month...if you are looking for that sort of thing. If you come to FL to look for housing, come to the school and look @ the bulletin boards that are around. There are a lot of roomate ads posted on these boards.

Please, before you take a place that is that cheap...check with someone who knows the area well. There were a bunch of people who ended up in REALLY undesirable housing situations first year (with more than a 30 minute drive per direction) because of not knowing any better and trying to save some money. (Several were so bad, that they ended up moving mid school year).

Most of the nicer apartments just north of NSU up Univ. Ave, were about 1200 to 1300 /mo for a two bedroom so if you have a roomate not a bad deal for the area, and it didnt seem to take too long to move up and down University during the day, and not even too bad during rush hour.

The $450/month was actuallyl a private residence. I saw a pretty good assortment of roomate ads as well as condo's etc. I would like to find something that is low maintenance so that I can stay focused on my school work of course. After semester one then I would like to relocate my family there which means researching school districts, neighborhoods, etc. Most likely I will end up in an apartment situation.

Good luck with housing. Its like a 3 hours credit course unto itself.

Hello everybody, they are starting to pull off the waitlist so get ready for the call. Good luck to everybody!

I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got the call too!!!!! I am so freaking psyched about this, going to NSU COM. Get ready waitlisters the time has come.

Congrats on the acceptances and thanks for the heads up on waitlist movement, its a comfy thought.

::wonders if rachael will call people tomorrow ::

Congrats you guys! After taking some well-deserved time to party, make sure you pay your deposit so you can get your email and enlist into the listserve. Administrative information is passed down through the listserve. Also, if you haven't already, join the Facebook group. There's lots of information about financial aid, housing, etc. It's also an opportunity to get to know some of your classmates before orientation. Enjoy!

Congrats you guys! After taking some well-deserved time to party, make sure you pay your deposit so you can get your email and enlist into the listserve. Administrative information is passed down through the listserve. Also, if you haven't already, join the Facebook group. There's lots of information about financial aid, housing, etc. It's also an opportunity to get to know some of your classmates before orientation. Enjoy!

And don't forget: HOORAY!! apparently MEDSTART went from optional to mandatory!! Arrgh! Poopies!!

Is wanting to Overnight my check tomorrow a little over-doing it?!?! Hehe, I may though just to get everything taken care of as quick as possible.

u can always call in and pay over the phone...thats even quicker than overnight :) ...at least i think u can if i remember correctly

oh and congrats..u'll have a blast at nsu...

Is wanting to Overnight my check tomorrow a little over-doing it?!?! Hehe, I may though just to get everything taken care of as quick as possible.

u can always call in and pay over the phone...thats even quicker than overnight :) ...at least i think u can if i remember correctly

oh and congrats..u'll have a blast at nsu...

Calling the number they gave you in your acceptance package or going through the Bursar's Office is just fine. The number is on the wall in the Facebook Group, a few pages back. It takes two business days or less that way.

Doing it by phone (as Mikeylu said) is the fastest way. Once you get your email and webstar thing set up, you can make a payment online which will post immediately to your account. Congrats again! :clap:

To those who have been pulled off of the waitlist, Congrats. Also, when did you interview? I was wondering if they pull you off in order of when you interviewed.

I interviewed on Feb 13th.

Also, called and paid my deposit by CC this am and still cannot get the email request to process, oh well I guess I'll try to be patient until Monday.

I interviewed on Feb 13th.

Also, called and paid my deposit by CC this am and still cannot get the email request to process, oh well I guess I'll try to be patient until Monday.
You're not missing too much. No worries. I'll post whatever is sent by the listserve on the site for the next few weeks at least.

And don't forget: HOORAY!! apparently MEDSTART went from optional to mandatory!! Arrgh! Poopies!!

You definately want to call the school and ask about this--I am not sure. I DO know that when the program was designed, it was designed to be mandatory. I don't know where everyone got the information that it was optional, but I have been under the impression that it was going to be mandatory for the class of 2011 since I first heard of the program 18mos ago.

If anyone knows for sure about medstart being optional or mandatory...please let us know. I am just speculating and DON'T know for sure.