NSUCOM class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
eh, i wrote one within a few weeks of being notified of my alternate status. guess what? im still an alternate. The list has been moving every week or so, so theres still time. good luck

thanks for sharing! this wait is so excruciating! when did you interview? i interviewed in february.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not yet received my background check application packet yet. Is there a deadline for this thing. I just called Rachel and they are sending me one so the earliest I will have it back to NSU is next week possibly even the following week. After that all I have to worry about is housing which is coming along nicely itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not yet received my background check application packet yet. Is there a deadline for this thing. I just called Rachel and they are sending me one so the earliest I will have it back to NSU is next week possibly even the following week. After that all I have to worry about is housing which is coming along nicely itself.
The deadline is based on when they send it to you. There is a batch of them going out this week.

Hello Everyone! I've been reading your posts regarding NSU's waitlist and alternate list, and I wanted to share my experience from just last week. I called in and spoke to one of Rachel's secretaries and Rachel herself - and both people told me that there is only ONE list. I see many of you are saying Rachel said there are 2 lists, so now I'm thinking why would she tell me otherwise? Unless of course, she knows that applicants are confused/upset/eager about the list(s) and so she is saying whatever will appease the each individual person? I'm not really too sure what the deal is at NSU, but the admissions administration (in general, not Rachel specifically) just seems too non-chalant about sharing the status of an applicant's file. I find that a little odd, especially since other schools, (a great example would be USF) are VERY honest and open about what the appliant should be prepared for in terms of waiting or a decision. Any thoughts on this? Or any updated info from Rachel? I'd love to hear! One last thought, does anyone know their RANK on the list?

Hello Everyone! I've been reading your posts regarding NSU's waitlist and alternate list, and I wanted to share my experience from just last week. I called in and spoke to one of Rachel's secretaries and Rachel herself - and both people told me that there is only ONE list. I see many of you are saying Rachel said there are 2 lists, so now I'm thinking why would she tell me otherwise? Unless of course, she knows that applicants are confused/upset/eager about the list(s) and so she is saying whatever will appease the each individual person? I'm not really too sure what the deal is at NSU, but the admissions administration (in general, not Rachel specifically) just seems too non-chalant about sharing the status of an applicant's file. I find that a little odd, especially since other schools, (a great example would be USF) are VERY honest and open about what the appliant should be prepared for in terms of waiting or a decision. Any thoughts on this? Or any updated info from Rachel? I'd love to hear! One last thought, does anyone know their RANK on the list?
The waitlist/alternate list is not ranked. Because of this, they do not want to make any predictions as to the result of a particular applicant. I know of too many cases where students were verbally guaranteed a spot off their respective waitlist/alternate list and were disappointed at the end. The fact NSU doesn't disclose much information in this regard is bittersweet, but personally I would rather not receive false hope. Best of luck!

I just called NSU yesterday and I found out that there are differences between the waitlist and alternate list, but it sounds like it is only while the interview season is on. The waitlist is given to applicants whose file they deem qualified and complete, but not yet ready to offer an acceptance. The alternate list is given to applicants whose file they deem qualified, but they are not yet ready to offer an acceptance and the person may be missing documents such as recommendations or transcripts. After the interview season they all simply get lumped together as one list - the wait list, but NSU does not send another letter to inform that you have moved from one list to another because both lists now mean the same thing.

So now whether we're alternate listed or waitlisted, we'll just have to wait and see. I hope there is still room for a late March interviewee like me.

Good luck to all those waitlisted!

I just called NSU yesterday and I found out that there are differences between the waitlist and alternate list, but it sounds like it is only while the interview season is on. The waitlist is given to applicants whose file they deem qualified and complete, but not yet ready to offer an acceptance. The alternate list is given to applicants whose file they deem qualified, but they are not yet ready to offer an acceptance and the person may be missing documents such as recommendations or transcripts. After the interview season they all simply get lumped together as one list - the wait list, but NSU does not send another letter to inform that you have moved from one list to another because both lists now mean the same thing.

So now whether we're alternate listed or waitlisted, we'll just have to wait and see. I hope there is still room for a late March interviewee like me.

Thanks for the clarification :thumbup:

Now that's very helpful. And its making a little more sense now. Who told you this by the way? Rachel? And do you know about the movement on the infamous "list." I read in one of the earlier posts that '09 had little movement while '10 had a lot.

Now that's very helpful. And its making a little more sense now. Who told you this by the way? Rachel? And do you know about the movement on the infamous "list." I read in one of the earlier posts that '09 had little movement while '10 had a lot.
I'm not sure how many people ultimately have been accepted from the waitlist so far this year, but I am aware of approximately a dozen individuals who indicated that they were recently accepted from the waitlist.

At first I was told about the two different lists. Recently I called Rachael and she told me basically the same thing stated above, that now since the class is full, this list is now only one.

At first I was told about the two different lists. Recently I called Rachael and she told me basically the same thing stated above, that now since the class is full, this list is now only one.

I'm glad we're all getting the same info now. So now that people have already come off the waitlist and the class is full, does this mean that our chances are minimal to none? :confused:

I'm glad we're all getting the same info now. So now that people have already come off the waitlist and the class is full, does this mean that our chances are minimal to none? :confused:
There are still applicants who still are deciding between NSU and another school. They will be deciding soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody get a call from Rachel (i.e. got off the waitlist) recently?

Not none....The year I started, one person was accepted off of the waitlist AFTER we had started orientation...and she had already started at another school. Keep up the hope.

While we are patiently waiting for school to begin. Is anybody out there trying to get back in shape over the summer. I have been jogging 2-3 miles per day and doing some push ups and stuff. I really look forward to having access to all of the great facilities to work out at NOVA. I sure hope we have the time each day. If even just for an hour or two.

By the way I just received an e-mail from Leslie stating that we can now register for classes. It appears I will be taking 25.0 hours in the fall. Did anybody else register for there classes yet?

"She's starting to shake!" She's starting to shimmy!" -Airplane

By the way I just received an e-mail from Leslie stating that we can now register for classes. It appears I will be taking 25.0 hours in the fall. Did anybody else register for there classes yet?

"She's starting to shake!" She's starting to shimmy!" -Airplane
Yep, sure did.

the M1's are just now registering for class too....41 credit hours!!! seems ginormous after only 25 credit hours this past semester

i think its still going to be a lot of work..but you will see soon enough :)

i think its still going to be a lot of work..but you will see soon enough :)

Damn! It is going to be a lot of work!! Seriously: is 41 credits normal!? What...does class run 1.64 times as long with 1.64 times the work as 25 credits? Gaaah!!!! :barf:

Damn! It is going to be a lot of work!! Seriously: is 41 credits normal!? What...does class run 1.64 times as long with 1.64 times the work as 25 credits? Gaaah!!!! :barf:
Seems it. On some days, you have four hours of class time on one system. And that's what I call projectile vomit TR!

Don't worry...it is doable. 41 credits sounds intimidating, but not that bad. Really.

Also, remember that you are going to class with 240 ppl, and 235 pass every class. As long as you are not in the bottom 5 of your class--you'll be okay.

Second year is MUCH better than first year (and easier for many-including me). Honestly, the worst part of all of second year for me--is having to go back and review first year stuff for boards. YUCK. I hated first year the first time so much that I don't like studying it again.

Don't worry...it is doable. 41 credits sounds intimidating, but not that bad. Really.

Also, remember that you are going to class with 240 ppl, and 235 pass every class. As long as you are not in the bottom 5 of your class--you'll be okay.

Second year is MUCH better than first year (and easier for many-including me).

Good to hear! How long do classes run second year (and second semester) on average?

Finally got the background check application today but now it looks as though my housing situation fell through. Two steps forward one step backward. Are there any bridges close to the beach I can live under...said dwelling will need wireless access and plenty of light at night time!:confused:

Finally got the background check application today but now it looks as though my housing situation fell through. Two steps forward one step backward. Are there any bridges close to the beach I can live under...said dwelling will need wireless access and plenty of light at night time!:confused:

For the right price, you can sleep on my balcony (with wireless)...8th floor view of the intercoastal. ;)

Sounds much better than the bridge idea. I can have carrier pigeons bring the mail.

Sounds much better than the bridge idea. I can have carrier pigeons bring the mail.

If you are lucky, I would even give you a key to the front door, and allow you access to my extra bathroom. ;) If I had an extra bedroom...I'd offer it, but sorry not sharing mine.

Fine then, I'm not sharing my carrier pigeons!!!

Any of my fellow wait-listers hear from Rachel this week? Time is flying by and I've gotten nothing but silence!

The waiting is exhausting... and I hate to say this, but I'm about to abandon the hope and move forward with LECOM-Bradenton. It seems you can only stall signing off on financial aid and looking for an apartment for so long!

Ever since I paid my last deposit, I haven't received anything from the school other than a few NSUCOM magazines. I certainly haven't received a background check form or anything regarding financial aid. Is this a problem? Do you guys get this snail mail or via the listserve?

I forgot my nsu email and haven't been added to the listserve so I'm not really clued into what's going on. It's annoying bc I only have a computer at work, where I am not free to go into NSU stuff.

Hey all:

i'm currently an M1 (1 exam away from being an M2 yeay!!!!). i just wanted to introduce myself and let you guys know that whatever help i can offer or questions that i can answer here i am.

my email is [email protected]
i wish you all the best this summer and throughout your first semester:) enjoy your summer!

i'll be checking this thread more often. God bless!

Any of my fellow wait-listers hear from Rachel this week? Time is flying by and I've gotten nothing but silence!

The waiting is exhausting... and I hate to say this, but I'm about to abandon the hope and move forward with LECOM-Bradenton. It seems you can only stall signing off on financial aid and looking for an apartment for so long!

There is a girl in my class who started @ LECOM Bradenton, during our orientation she got accepted and dropped out of there and came to us. :-D

I don't know how much money she was out, but apparently it can be done. Usually, with financial aid--you can still get money back until classes officially start at least.

Okay...whole point, movement can happen late in the season.

Ever since I paid my last deposit, I haven't received anything from the school other than a few NSUCOM magazines. I certainly haven't received a background check form or anything regarding financial aid. Is this a problem? Do you guys get this snail mail or via the listserve?

I forgot my nsu email and haven't been added to the listserve so I'm not really clued into what's going on. It's annoying bc I only have a computer at work, where I am not free to go into NSU stuff.
Are you on the Facebook Page because many of your questions will be answered via that. However, I'll give you the lowdown of things.

Yes, you NEED your background check forms done. Contact Leslie Jones at [email protected]. If you dont get it in soon, it'll hold up your financial aid. I'm hoping that you've filled out a FAFSA and did your NSU authorization form.

The following link will help get your email addy and get on the listserve:

http://medicine.nova.edu/comorientation/forms/email_account.pdf

We got directions via snail mail, but the information is located on the Nova webpage also. I'm pretty sure you know the information needed in order to get your email back, ss#, webstar ID, NSU ID# etc. One of those combinations will allow you to retrieve your email. Promptly send Dr. Simpson an email to get on the listserve.

Although the FaceBook Group only supplements the Class of 2011 listserve, it has been pretty up to date with informing students about items on the listserve. So, maybe while you wait, you could peruse through FB.

Incoming M1s have signed up for classes, both first semester and medstart electives. Academic societies are coming together and are beginning to contact their respective groups in the near future.

Hit me up with a message if you have questions or search FB for the NSUCOM Class of 2011.

I interviewed before some of these people who most recently got off the waitlist (congrats to them), but I still have no good news from nova. NSU COM and Rachel are really making me sad. :( :( :(

I'm sort of confused why we have to register...don't all first years take the same classes? Anyone know?

I'm sort of confused why we have to register...don't all first years take the same classes? Anyone know?

I think it is for billing purposes...but I don't know for sure. Don't worry...everyone has to register. If you don't you won't get financial aid...so do it. ;)

So about housing. It doesn't look like I will be down before mid June in order to have enough money to make the trip from Louisiana and be able to cut a check for deposit and rent and still get back home with plently of cash left over for regular bills and stuff. Will I be too late in mid June to get housing or what? Everything else appears to be taken care of, but I know I'm forgetting something. I am working many hours right now but I am also paying off all of my consumer debt. My credit rating is really moving up though. When will we get our loan check? I just want to make sure I'm not falling behind spending so much time at work.

I think it is for billing purposes...but I don't know for sure. Don't worry...everyone has to register. If you don't you won't get financial aid...so do it. ;)
Absolutely correct :thumbup: As far as I know, free registration has already passed. You may have to register with a late fee now.

Besides, it's good to know how to register yourself, especially when you're in your clinical years.

So about housing. It doesn't look like I will be down before mid June in order to have enough money to make the trip from Louisiana and be able to cut a check for deposit and rent and still get back home with plently of cash left over for regular bills and stuff. Will I be too late in mid June to get housing or what? Everything else appears to be taken care of, but I know I'm forgetting something. I am working many hours right now but I am also paying off all of my consumer debt. My credit rating is really moving up though. When will we get our loan check? I just want to make sure I'm not falling behind spending so much time at work.

Honestly, mid June is still doable, but it's cutting it close. There should be still available places around the area if you're looking to be close to Nova. However, you may have to pay a pretty penny for it. The rent for many places is based on the number of available condos/apartments. If there is only one condo/apartment open in a complex, you should expect it to be more expensive than if there were a handful open in that complex. I'm sure that if you venture farther than the Sunforest/Sundance/Royal Grand/Palm Trace/Gardens at Nova/Nova Gardens area, you should be able to find something more affordable.

In the meanwhile, I would get on the waiting lists for some places. I'm guessing that you're not willing to secure housing without seeing it firsthand as some of our classmats are doing. Best of luck and ask the rest of the class where they'll living, you'll get dozens of suggestions.

does anyone know if there's been waitlist movement at nova recently? thanks!