NSUCOM class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So about housing. It doesn't look like I will be down before mid June in order to have enough money to make the trip from Louisiana and be able to cut a check for deposit and rent and still get back home with plently of cash left over for regular bills and stuff. Will I be too late in mid June to get housing or what? Everything else appears to be taken care of, but I know I'm forgetting something. I am working many hours right now but I am also paying off all of my consumer debt. My credit rating is really moving up though. When will we get our loan check? I just want to make sure I'm not falling behind spending so much time at work.

Maybe if you are waiting so long, it would be easier to just find a roomate who could come down sooner...or already has and has seen a place. You are probably going to need a roomate anyhow...If you are cutting it close on money now, how are you going to pay a 500-1500 dollar deposit on a place?

When I looked down here (2yrs ago) before moving...I was told that most places run at 90+ (most are 95%+) occupancy at any given time. I really think you should be thinking of figuring out something now...even if you have to do it without seeing it first, or going by pictures that other ppl have taken. If you have your eyes on a place, I'm sure all of your futuer (OCD) classmates would be willing to let you know what they thought about it and share pictures.

As said above, at least get your name on some waitlists. These places all know 60days in advance what is going to be available, now is prime time to get your time in if you are moving down here in July.

Note: if you look at condos rented by individuals, it is a whole different ballgame than if you go to an apt complex. You can rent condos with shorter notice and the condo thing can be well worth it and pay off, but traditionally requires a lot more money upfront--so probably isn't the best option for you.

Good luck.

Edit: I've been living here for 2 yrs and am relatively familiar with all these places, feel free to ask me questions.

Members don't see this ad.

NSU is suing Westchester hospital...appears to be a fall-out over dental residency payment(s), but obviously would affect the osteopathic relationship/training between the school and hospital.

Nova sues Westchester General Hospital
Nova Southeastern has sued Westchester General Hospital, which is led by a longtime trustee of the university.
BY JOHN DORSCHNER
[email protected]

In an unusual legal battle, Nova Southeastern University has filed suit against an institution run by one of the school's own trustees, Sylvia Urlich, president of Westchester General Hospital.

The lawsuit complains that the West Dade hospital violated Medicare regulations and a contract between the two institutions. It alleges the hospital was not paying the university for the ''actual costs'' of the Broward school's dental residency program, even though Westchester was supposedly receiving that money from Medicare to reimburse the program.

Westchester has responded with its own lawsuit, charging the university with ''refusing to provide the necessary documents'' to the hospital, causing the facility ``to become involved in litigation with others, including Medicare.''

The battle appears to mark the start of a bitter divorce between Nova and Westchester, which have a long-standing relationship in which Nova's students in osteopathic medicine receive training at Westchester, which is owned by a family of osteopathic physicians.

Westchester President Urlich, who is a member of the family, was a trustee of the university when the lawsuit was filed. She resigned from the board last week, said the hospital's attorney, Glen Waldman.

Medicare does not generally pay for seniors' dental treatment, but the federal program reimburses hospitals for graduate medical education to help providers-in-training to treat under-served patients. Such payments are given only if the ''hospital incurs all, or substantially all, of the costs for the training program,'' Medicare regulations say.

Since 2001, Nova and Westchester had a contract in which the hospital was to pay Nova about $380,000 a year for the costs of the dental residency program -- money that Medicare was then supposed to pay Westchester.

The Nova lawsuit, filed by Miami attorney Lewis Tein, indicates that First Coast Service Options, the organization that pays Medicare claims in Florida, launched an investigation of Westchester in August 2005.

PROBE'S FINDINGS

In September 2006, First Coast issued a preliminary finding that the entire dental residency program for 2002 and 2003 ''should be disallowed, in part, because of the differences and inconsistencies in the amounts claimed by WGH and the costs incurred by Nova,'' according to the university's lawsuit.

The Nova complaint alleges that Westchester 'for certain periods . . . did not pay the `actual' costs of Nova's dental residency program, but rather paid Nova lesser amounts. WGH, acting through one or more of its officials, instructed Nova employees to reduce Nova's year-end cost invoices to reflect budgeted amounts that were predetermined by WGH.''

This failure to pay the costs violated 'Medicare's requirement that WGH incur `all, or substantially all' of the costs of Nova's dental residency program,'' the school's lawsuit alleges.

On Nov. 28, Nova terminated its dental contract with Westchester, effective Feb. 28.

HOSPITAL'S LAWSUIT

The hospital's lawsuit, filed by Waldman, alleges that in 2006 the dental school stopped providing Westchester with detailed reports about the costs it incurred by its dental residency program.

This lack of cost data has caused the hospital problems with Medicare, the hospital suit alleges. The Westchester filing includes a terse letter from Tein, about the university's refusal: ``In light of past conduct by WGH, NSU has decided not to provide WGH with any such information.''

The letter was written May 4, the same day Nova filed its lawsuit. Among other things, the complaint offers to return the 2006 payments it received from the hospital, ``but is uncertain whether these payments should be returned to WGH or paid directly to the United States.''

Three days later, Westchester filed its lawsuit.

Westchester, located at 2500 SW 75th Ave., is a 172-bed for-profit facility. In 2005, according to state documents, it had an occupancy rate of 82.4 percent, considerably above the 50.8 percent of nearby Kendall Regional, owned by HCA. It had $1.87 million net income on operating revenue of $51.6 million.

Thanks KaiKai keep the replies coming sweetie!
I am very motivated toward obtaining housing and very soon but I am very hesitant to commit to a place until I see it just because of the sheer importance of an environment during stressful situations such as tests and studying. The good news is that I will be down in a couple weeks I do need somebody to show me around down there though since I'm from Louisiana.
I very much appreciate your input though I've read your posts in the past. Another thing is that I'm working lots of overtime at work. At least I know I can handle a 70-90 hours work week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks KaiKai keep the replies coming sweetie!
I am very motivated toward obtaining housing and very soon but I am very hesitant to commit to a place until I see it just because of the sheer importance of an environment during stressful situations such as tests and studying. The good news is that I will be down in a couple weeks I do need somebody to show me around down there though since I'm from Louisiana.
I very much appreciate your input though I've read your posts in the past. Another thing is that I'm working lots of overtime at work. At least I know I can handle a 70-90 hours work week.
Take the suggestions that people have posted on Facebook. There are pictures and personal evaluations of places. People have posted where they are living next year, as close as across the street at Sunforest/Sundance, to as far as West Palm beach or Miami. At the very least, you can get an idea of places where your fellow students are going to be living.

Thanks HOD
You have been quite helpful throughout this application cycle. I will check out the facebook pics. I wonder how many fellow students are still looking for housing also. I am very excited about beginning our training.

Thanks HOD
You have been quite helpful throughout this application cycle. I will check out the facebook pics. I wonder how many fellow students are still looking for housing also. I am very excited about beginning our training.

He is the very much appreciated Help Out Dude!! :p

Ha, yes, Help Out Dude indeed.

I have been known to do recon on occasion to check out places for people, since I am local. You have to ask really nicely, though.

Ha, yes, Help Out Dude indeed.

I have been known to do recon on occasion to check out places for people, since I am local. You have to ask really nicely, though.

Yes, indeed! I hereby dub thee Help Out Dudette! And thanks for all your help! :)

BTW, I just figured out that those are breasts in your avatar: not fins! :p

I just got the call from Rachel !! I just moved off the waitlist:D!

I'm looking for apartments now, but I'm from CT so I know very little about the area and where to look. Anyone have any suggestions?

When did you interview Dr. LittleJay?? I m still waiting for the call...does anyone have an idea of how swiftly the waitlist is moving? any advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Hey guys...about the Westchester hospital thing, don't worry about it. We do don't do much work there. In the end, as students I don't think that we are going to get much backlash from what goes on with the legal teams.

Yes, indeed! I hereby dub thee Help Out Dudette! And thanks for all your help! :)

BTW, I just figured out that those are breasts in your avatar: not fins! :p
lol. I read the 'Help Out Dudette' first and thought a certain thong wearing Chippendale dancer was making fun of me.

DRLITTLEJAY - Get on the Class of 2011 Facebook group. There are lots of people with their own suggestions. The ones that seem popular are: Sundance, Sunforest, Palm Trace, Royal Grand, Jacaranda at Plantation, Gardens at Nova, etc...

For those of you waiting on a call, I can say that 203 people are registered with facebook. We are told to do that first thing so by that logic 203/230 seats in this Class of year 2011 are full. I would hate to be in that last scramble though. You would only have two months to try and finish all the paperwork and preparations. Hell, I'm still late on housing and I started this process two months ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you waiting on a call, I can say that 203 people are registered with facebook. We are told to do that first thing so by that logic 203/230 seats in this Class of year 2011 are full. I would hate to be in that last scramble though. You would only have two months to try and finish all the paperwork and preparations. Hell, I'm still late on housing and I started this process two months ago.

25 of those registered on our Facebook site are upperclassmen, and I can think of a couple who are on the listserve but not on Facebook, so who knows, but I'm sure its filling up!

Toothless...where did you find that picture of my boyfriend? ;)
FYI--I don't know for sure, but I think that although upperclassmen can send to your listserve--we can't read what is one there. Only administration and your class is on the listserve as far as I know.

Well, I've asked hilseb to give me the l.d. on you when you go down.

Are you down already? It will be in around 11am 6-5 and leaving 7am on 6-7. Got a lot of running around to do. How does trying to get together with hilseb on the 5th sound?

Sorry, looks like we can't do a threesome until HOD comes down in July.

Platonic. threesome. intended.

Hey guys,
I finally got some housing. Can anybody tell me about the gardens?

Hey guys,
I finally got some housing. Can anybody tell me about the gardens?
Which Gardens? There are Nova Gardens, Gardens at Nova, and various other ones. I haven't heard of just the gardens.

It's The Gardens at Nova. I went ahead and mailed the deposit to my roomate who is a fourth year. I am working a lot this summer like 50-60 hours per week. I won't get to go down until end of the month. I know I keep moving up the date but can anybody tell me anything about this place.

It's The Gardens at Nova. I went ahead and mailed the deposit to my roomate who is a fourth year. I am working a lot this summer like 50-60 hours per week. I won't get to go down until end of the month. I know I keep moving up the date but can anybody tell me anything about this place.
Gardens at Nova is about 7 or so minutes away from Nova. It is located on a semi busy street and there is shopping close by (grocery store, CVS). My roommate and I stopped by there during our tour of the area looking for housing. If I remember correctly, there seems to be ample parking. There seems to be two floors of apartments. The bottom apartments are kind of dark because the second floor walkway sits over most of the windows. Although it doesn't seem like the newest of places, its proximity to the school and shopping areas makes it pretty decent.

Thank You Bryan,
I look forward to meeting everybody this summer. Posting has been slow on this thread this summer. I guess everbody is vacationing and blowing off steam before we begin our training. I was very relieved to have finally gotten housing. Have a great summer and try not to party too hard. I will be working all summer and I think I'm going to brush up on some spanish since south Fla. has many spanish speaking people.

Thank You Bryan,
I look forward to meeting everybody this summer. Posting has been slow on this thread this summer. I guess everbody is vacationing and blowing off steam before we begin our training. I was very relieved to have finally gotten housing. Have a great summer and try not to party too hard. I will be working all summer and I think I'm going to brush up on some spanish since south Fla. has many spanish speaking people.
Not a problem. Most people are talking amongst themselves on FB and even that, it's been pretty quiet. Either people are on vaca, working, or having fun with medstart electives. Yippee!!

Also, there are people living at the Gardens. If you look at the FB discussion sections, several people will be living there. May be a good idea to talk to them about it also. See you soon.

Hey, if any guys need a place to stay still, I'm renting out a room in my condo (i just emailed your listserve). It's on Nova Dr. close to sunforest.

I was taken off the "wait list" a few days ago. I interviewed around March 15th. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back.

I am looking for housing near Nova and roommate(s), PM me if you are interested.

Hey all:
congrats on being accepted into NSU. I just wanted to tell you guys the things that helped me during last year's fall semester, which doesn't necessarily represent my classmates' opinions.:)

First, Gross anatomy kicked me hard . I used the Netter's Atlas but sometimes found Rohen's (has actual cadaver dissections) more helpful as i'm not a very visual person. This class requires a lot of time, i would try to keep up with each weekly topic as it really adds up and it makes your lab time more useful. Also i loved following Dr Tu in the lab, as he gave great tips for the exams and he's always trying to help the students. The christian med and dental association club did Anatomy practical reviews usually the week before the exam which i found very very helpful and they were only 5 bucks. Also some people i know used the book Gross Anatomy BRS and thought it was very concise and helpful, especially for the GI and Pelvis exams, in which some of us thought that the notes provided did not correlate too well with exam questions. I thought the first exam was the easiest. Just study Dr Conover's notes in and out and old exams for the first test. So i would try to study hard for the first exam since you'll have more time to study for it and all exams are worth the same amount of points.

Old exams: we had the option of buying them from SOMA. Old exams were almost necessary as they gave you insight into how questions were going to be asked. (especially for Dr Conover's anatomy). Always do old exams before each test for every class.

Physiology: Many say this is the toughest class first semester (for me it was anatomy). But what helped me out was to try to read the handouts and try to understand the concept not just memorize equations. If you don't understand a concept in the handouts ask someone or look it up. An AMAZING book which is probably the only book i really used besides Netter's in my first semester was PHYSIOLOGY BY CONSTANZO the big purple book. I bought an older edition very cheap online. I recommend it especially for trying to grasp the main concepts especially in cellular physiology and cardiovascular physiology. Also work out old exams. I actually liked physiology and did a lot better on it than in anatomy but that's just my experience

OPP: i thought the exams became more challenging on the spring semester. Always do old exams and just read the notes given in class. For lab practicals i liked getting a group and doing a tutoring session with a fellow for midterm and final. i thought it was very helpful and worth the money the times i did it.

Histology: Dr Dribin's is the sweetest professor ever! she's always trying to help the students in everything. For exam purposes watch the dvd's that docare sells over and over and you'll have no problem in the practical exams. Also go to the practice practicals. I enjoyed this class. Her handout is great and easy to understand

Biochem: read the handouts and do old tests. Also do practice questions on the handouts especially for Dr Block since many of his questions come from his practice questions in the handouts.

CP: We had a quick each wednesday during lab sessions testing material from monday's lecture. What helped me was to take notes during lecture and also i think it's HOMSA that sells a CP Packet w/ answers to all objective questions from each lecture and lab. It also has practice questions for the final. I didn't start using this packet until the second semester but wished i had used it sooner, as there were some terminology questions in our first semester's final that were not in the notes but were in the objectives and therefore in the homsa packet. It doesn't take that long to go over your classnotes and the Homsa package before each quiz and for the final exam. We also had a writeup due most Fridays. In this class we had 2 simulated patient encounters.
***note: this year you guys i think will not have the same course coordinator for CP so your class might be structured different*********

Just go out there and do your best and you'll have a great time. Remember there's always people there to help and answer your questions. Everyone in our class was very supportive of each other and always sending helpful material through the listserve. Best of luck to everyone :) don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Hi all!! I am now a 3rd year student at Nova, and I just wanted to welcome you all to sunny South Florida!! NSU is a great school, and I know that you will all love it!
I will probably be tutoring Physio again this year, so if you keep getting e-mail's from a "Tiffany" doing physio tutoring sessions-that's me!!

Anyway, enjoy your summer and live it up, med school is FUN, but also HARD!! :)
You guys will do GREAT!!! CONGRATS!!!

-Tiffany

Hi soon-to-be M1's!

If you are planning on joining the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) this school year, you may want to think about getting the AMSA member health insurance rather than Nova's.

Nova's Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance is $781 per semester. There is NO co-pay if you go to the NSU health clinic. Outside visits are $25 primary care or $40 specialist.

The AMSA United Healthcare plan is $618 per semester, and there is a $30 copay per office visit. There is info here https://www.uhcsr.com/college/ViewBrochures.aspx and select AMSA from the drop-down menu.

So if you don't plan on being in the doctor's office too much this semester, or prefer not to go to NSU's clinic, the AMSA plan may be a good way to save some money. (Keep in mind it costs $75 to join AMSA for all four years.)

Hope you're all having fun getting settled in down here! :)

I am getting excited - see you all in two weeks!

Does anyone know if the regular health plan or the AMSA one has options to include a family? We are all on a family plan right now.

gonei have a grant's dissector 12th edition which i'm giving away for free. it's useful for the anatomy dissections.
GONE

I have a beautifully furnished room for rent just a quick drive to NOVA. Included is TV, Stereo, dishes, dishwasher, patio furniture, and nice couches and chairs. I'm going on elective rotation and will be gone for a few months and need someone to take over my share of the rent. You have to see this place to believe it. Asking 750.00 which includes internet, cable, and other ameneties. The complex also has a pool. PM me if you're interested.