NSUCOM, PCOM, or CCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deistobmore05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I can't seem to decide between these three schools.

Based on interview experience, I am most impressed by NSU's facilities and the environment. Also with the free MPH program in addition to a DO degree.

PCOM has a great curriculum and rotation opportunities, but i had the worst interview experience and did not feel very comfortable there after that day.

CCOM has pretty decent facilities and a great reputation for residency matches. However, I'm not much of a suburban type.

Nevertheless, these are my top 3. How to choose? I am interested in public health and working in the inner-city after school. Also hope to be involved internationally. A great education with supportive faculty matters alot to me as well. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

CCOM does rotations at Cook County Hospital. I dont think you can get better inner-city medicine than that.
Furthermore, even though it is in the suburbs- I talked to a lot of MS1s and MS2s who live in the city. It seems like a lot of students live downtown during rotations also.

You have to go with your gut feeling.

Which campus left you saying "I could see myself here"?

Which school has the things that are most important to YOU?

Dont worry about "best rotations", "best cost", "best reputation."

In the end you are going to have to spend 4 years at that school and enjoy your time there.

Everyone will have an opinion on why one of the above schools is "best" (I know I do), but that only matters to the person with the opinion.

Best of luck with your decision and congratulations on having the option of choosing between some very good schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a couple things to take into consideration about doing the MPH here at NSU. First of all, you have to be doing pretty well in classes to do this MPH. They say that its almost given that your GPA (they go on percentage here.... 70% is pass in every class and then they average all your classes together) will drop at least 5% after you start the MPH because you're doing a whole extra degree in the same time frame as your DO. This is imprtant to consider if you're going for Sigma Sigma Phi (the DO version of AOA honor society, at our school you must have an 80% to be eligible). It's a great oppurtunity, but you have to see how you hold up in your classes first year before deciding to do it. Also, the program is not evenclose to being as developed or having the resources as universities who have a real College of Public Health (Emory, Hopkins, Michigan, Columbia, SLU, UNC, etc.). However, as you said it is free which is a huge plus. I'm interested in public health. Accordingly, I want to learn it as in depth as I can. This is why I plan on pursuing an MPH later down the road after I finish my medical training at a more established public health institution.

Congrats on your acceptances and good luck with your choice.

3 very good schools..and im sure there is no wrong decision...good luck

thanks guys.. i really appreciate the advice. I just have a hard time making decisions and worry about making the wrong choice. But i have been having a gut feeling about one of these schools for some time and now really excited about starting next year.

thanks guys.. i really appreciate the advice. I just have a hard time making decisions and worry about making the wrong choice. But i have been having a gut feeling about one of these schools for some time and now really excited about starting next year.

Then you have your decision. Good luck in medical school.