NSUCOM...Prison Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seneca

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone from Nova could tell me more about the prison rotations that are being added to the curriculum this coming January. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know more about it as well..
especially from the students attending school there and those that its going to impact now (ie third year students)

------------------
Khan

As a M-1 attending Nova, I would suggest that you address all of your questions and concerns to the Dean and the administration. They can give you all the pertinent and CORRECT info that you are looking for regarding the prison rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jay,

As the moderator for this section of StudentDoc.net, I would personally appreciate it if you, or some other NSU student, would contact the NSU admin people, find out the truth and please post it here.

I feel the issue to be a valid one and definitely worthy of discussion. However, I don't if anyone can tell what's true and what's merely rumored.

Thanks for you assistance!

------------------
Old Man Dave
KCOM, Class of 2003

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

To Old Man Dave,

I am nobody's go between. If anybody out there is truly concerned about the situation, they should go straight to the horse's mouth. That's all I have to say.

Gee, that's nice and very community-friendly.

I don't see what the big deal is if you just shed a little light on the matter. I don't attend NSU, but I am interested in hearing more about "prison rotations." Will I go to the Dean? Probably not. Will I check the website? Sure, but it'd be nice to hear it from someone who knows at least a little about it.

I think by responding to questions about prison rotations, you'll just clear up the many questions PROSPECTIVE Nova students have.

Heck, Greg, where are you? You're on break -- respond!
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

oh-kay! Nice response there from JayPark of Nova! (yeesh!)

My response was not meant to be offensive. For people who are going to be future docs, some of you are overly sensitive. It is my opinion that anyone who wants the most current, up to date, and most importantly, CORRECT info regarding this matter, should address all their questions DIRECTLY to Nova and its administration. Isn't that just common sense? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Maybe it would be most polite and kind to the Admin of NOVA if only one person went and inquired. Better than 30 people all going and asking the same question over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Okay, Greg is here. Sorry I haven't been around much gang, but my computer fried and so getting access to the internet has been difficult recently.

About the prison rotation... I'm pretty much with Park on this one. If you have specific concerns, you should address the administration directly and not seek slanted, student views from this forum. And this doesn't just apply to NSU, but at all schools that have prison rotations (and there are others). In fact, one of the prison hospitals we will be affiliated with has been hosting OUCOM students for years as well as MD/DMD residents from the University of Florida. Also, there is active AIDS research going on at this hospital. Medical education at this facility is not a new concept.

The only thing I'll add is this: You won't be "in prison" in the sense that most of you are thinking of. There is a prison hospital here in Florida where prisoners are sent for their medical care. It looks pretty much like any other hospital with all of the different departments for acute/chronic ailments as well as rehabilitation. Of course there is one added bonus: guards everywhere. So you aren't walking into a cell and asking to take blood -- get those thoughts out of your mind. You are in a hospital, plain and simple. And you are treating patients who need and want your help.

Some final points made by the physicians that presently work at this facility:

* Prisoners have 100% control over their health care. They are only sent to the hospital if they wish to seek treatment for their illness. Combative, objecting prisoners are simply not transported from the prison to the hospital.

* You will be left alone with the prisoner ONLY if you request the guard to leave.

* The prisoner will remain handcuffed unless you request the cuffs to be removed.

* Prisoners are not allowed to speak to you unless you speak to them first.

* The rotation is setup to address the interests of the students. If you are interested in practicing procedures, that's the direction they will send you. If you like radiology, they'll have you working there. The students have input into their activities and responsibilities (can't say that about most other rotations).

Also, this won't be affecting the entire class. Maybe 20-30 students will actually go, and many of those slots will be filled with volunteers. I am sure that if there are legitimate personal concerns about participating in this rotation that the administration would accomodate you. They are already doing this for other rotations, so I am sure they would be flexible with this rotation.

I really resent the comments many of you have made concerning NSU and the administation there (in other threads). I'm the President of the first year class and let me tell you that my experience with the administation thus far has been a very positive one indeed. They have gone out of their way to make our transition into medical school easy and enjoyable. I could give you a rather lengthy list of things I accomplished with the help of the administration at NSU, including moving of exams and cancellations of other time-consuming events scheduled prior to exams. They definitely work with the students, and anyone that suggests otherwise is speaking from ignorance. If anyone has changed their mind about attending NSU based on comments made here in this forum, I'm glad. Anyone that doesn't have the wisdom to thoroughly research the statements made here and direct questions to the source doesn't deserve to attend NSU.

Forgive the harshness but I love my school and I object to the way it has been portrayed here. Given the choice, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the country.

Finally, I still recommend that anyone with specific questions and concerns should address them DIRECTLY to the faculty and administration at NSUCOM.

Gregory Gulick, M.A. MS-I
Nova Southeastern University
College of Osteopathic Medicine

Thanks Greg...I think, hope, your posting will de-fuse this ongoing post-it-war. I couldn't accept a school as respected as NSU would indescriminantly place their students in "harms'way".

As the first year rep on KCOM's Executive Council, I too have experienced nothing but immense cooperation much like what you have described. However, I spend a great deal of my time trying to fight the rumor mill and get the truth out to my classmates.

Oh yeah, pardon the brain-fart...I am not the moderator for this section...althoug it sure seemed like it at the time. I wonder what i was thinking at the time?

Again, thanks for your post.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

You bet, JayPark. That's why I don't watch or read about the news. If I want to know what is going on in Russia, I should just go there and see for myself! Who needs to hear news second hand!

Seriously, I am not going to attend NOVA, but I am interested in what is going on in the world of Osteopathic education, so I would like to hear about developments on the prision rotation issue. I am thankful that several people have attempted to be helpful to me by posting what they do know. I certainly don't expect you or anyone else to be an authority. I just have an interest in what's going on.