Nuc Fellowship after Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlaw17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys have any insight into a nuclear fellowship after radiology residency. I love the nucs part of rads, and just wanted to know why it seems so unpopular. It's never listed on the top 5 fellowships that radiology residents go into on the various program pages on doximity. Are there not that many slots? Is it undesirable for some reason due to job market, pay, etc? I've done a good amount of searching, but can't find much info on this (besides the fact that those w/o a rads background are at a significant disadvantage). Appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if any of you guys have any insight into a nuclear fellowship after radiology residency. I love the nucs part of rads, and just wanted to know why it seems so unpopular. It's never listed on the top 5 fellowships that radiology residents go into on the various program pages on doximity. Are there not that many slots? Is it undesirable for some reason due to job market, pay, etc? I've done a good amount of searching, but can't find much info on this (besides the fact that those w/o a rads background are at a significant disadvantage). Appreciate the help!

Top 5 fellowships? Radiology has one or two top fellowships and the rest are not competitive.

Most of the Nucs in community is PET-CT and is done by general radiologists. You don't need a Nucs fellowship to read PET-CT.

Last edited:
Probably 50% of what I know about radiology is based on shark2000. Both grateful and really hope it's accurate.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't mean top 5 as in top 5 competitiveness. It just lists the breakdown percentages of what fellowships residents went into and Nucs is never even mentioned. But from your answer I now see it's because it's not really needed. I'm guessing the only reason you would do it is if you wanted to work at a large academic medical center?

I didn't mean top 5 as in top 5 competitiveness. It just lists the breakdown percentages of what fellowships residents went into and Nucs is never even mentioned. But from your answer I now see it's because it's not really needed. I'm guessing the only reason you would do it is if you wanted to work at a large academic medical center?

For academic jobs you need Nucs fellowship.

Some big private practice groups are more subspecialized and hire a Nucs fellowship trained radiologist.

Some hospital systems like VA have specific regulations that only Nucs trained radiologists can do certain things related to Nucs.

I don't say it is not needed at all, but is not needed for most of day to day practice of radiology in the community.

Yeah academics or be the only nucs guy in a large practice to handle all the admin related regulatory stuff.

For academic jobs you need Nucs fellowship.

Some big private practice groups are more subspecialized and hire a Nucs fellowship trained radiologist.

Some hospital systems like VA have specific regulations that only Nucs trained radiologists can do certain things related to Nucs.

I don't say it is not needed at all, but is not needed for most of day to day practice of radiology in the community.

Stop telling people about that gem hidden in the VA system, shark!