Number of interviews needed to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is there a rule of thumb for the number of interviews needed to match into psychiatry? :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

(Number Needed To Match) = (STEP1)e^(λt)η+(STEP2)*sqrt(e^(λt)η+e^λt+sqrt(US NEWS WORLD REPORT SCHOOL RESEARCH RANK))

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
(Number Needed To Match) = (STEP1)e^(λt)η+(STEP2)*sqrt(e^(λt)η+e^λt+sqrt(US NEWS WORLD REPORT SCHOOL RESEARCH RANK))

Sloppy. It's (Number Needed To Match) = (STEP1)e^(λt)η(CLASS RANK)+(STEP2)*sqrt(e^(λt)η(CLASS RANK)+e^λt+sqrt(US NEWS WORLD REPORT SCHOOL RESEARCH RANK))

Reactions: 1 user
I think I saw that formula somewhere in First Aid but must have forgotten it. :cool:

I think the statistic I saw floating around last year was 9 or 11 or something like that, depending on whether you're MD vs DO, AMG vs IMG, etc. Never any guarantees in this process though.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the statistic I saw floating around last year was 9 or 11 or something like that, depending on whether you're MD vs DO, AMG vs IMG, etc. Never any guarantees in this process though.

ImageUploadedBySDN1539225732.443289.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Depending on your home program, you may only need 1 interview. My home program (lower competitive range) basically said I could pretend to interview (not show) and I’d be a guaranteed match. They knew me, and they are not competitive. I ranked them last FYI, so it’s not like the offer was a good one.

Outside of a guarantee, I’d say most applicants should rank 10-20 to be sure of a match. A few extra thousand dollars to interview is worth guaranteeing yourself a good future.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have no red flags, decent step scores, and went to a good institution (average to above-average candidate), 8-10 should be fine.

It's hard to evaluate the number of ranked programs figure because plenty of stellar applicants only rank 5-6 places and plenty of bottom-tier applicants also rank 5-6 places. Would be more helpful to be able to slice that data by scores or some other composite objective measure.

If you have a decent near-guaranteed or guaranteed offer, that also helps (if your home program is a good option you don't have to interview at as many places.)