Number of people ranked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SEUPATTY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just curious if anyone knew in general how many people are ranked by each Med/Ped program after interviews are all said and done. All the applicants I've run into on the interview trail have been fantastic and I cant even begin to understand how a program would decide one person was better than another :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I was just curious if anyone knew in general how many people are ranked by each Med/Ped program after interviews are all said and done. All the applicants I've run into on the interview trail have been fantastic and I cant even begin to understand how a program would decide one person was better than another :)

I think that secret number is more closely guarded than the nuclear arms codes in the president's briefcase. Seriously.

Truthfully, though, I think three things help programs rank applicants: (1) enthusiasm for the program and desire to really be there; (2) impression of personality type and clinical potential vs. what fits the program or what the program needs; and (3) objective data including grades, scores, med school strength, and tier of recommendations

The general rule of thumb is to rank 10 people for every spot you have available. Most programs use this rule with some variation (if the previous years they went unfilled or went down on their list more than they are comfortable with, they may rank more to ensure that program fills).

Members don't see this ad :)
The NRMP actually released this data this year. For Med-Peds, the average number of ranked applicants per filled spot was 4.6 in 2008 (down from 4.8 in 2007). So for an average program of 4 residents, that would be roughly 18 people ranked to fill the program.

The NRMP actually released this data this year. For Med-Peds, the average number of ranked applicants per filled spot was 4.6 in 2008 (down from 4.8 in 2007). So for an average program of 4 residents, that would be roughly 18 people ranked to fill the program.

That sounds like the average 4-resident program went 18 deep in their rank list to fill their program, but they probably ranked more than 18 people.

That sounds like the average 4-resident program went 18 deep in their rank list to fill their program, but they probably ranked more than 18 people.

That is correct that data is for the number of applicants the program *needed* to rank to fill their program, or in other words how competitive the average program is. For a top residency program they may need to only rank only 2 people per slot to fill their programs, such programs don't go very far down their rank list, but could rank 50 or more applicants and in the end get the same result.

On average for med/peds program just need to go down to the 18th person to fill their residency program. Most programs I would guess rank around 30 applicants at least (who knows the distribution, some program may go to number 8, some programs may go to 28th). In the end I guess it doesn't matter how many applicants programs rank versus how far down their rank list they go . . . that is the real secret number, not the total number ranked.

True nevercold-- should have been more specific.

Though given what other program directors on the site say (albeit in medicine and psychiatry, of those who let their specialty be known), most applicants who are interviewed end up being ranked, barring serious psychopathology/ bright red flags in the interview. It's just not in their interest to expend the effort (in terms of faculty time, coordinating a rank list, etc) to interview a lot of people they don't plan to rank. Everyone who gets an interview is 'rankable.'

To me, it's a small comfort to think I'm ranked #42 at a program that, on average, needs to go only 18 deep to fill.