NUMC vs Maimonides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bronte

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of these hospitals is a better place to train as a third year. Does anyone have pros and cons about either of these hospitals??

Any information would be appreciated - thanks!

Bronte

Members don't see this ad.

Both have some advantages and drawbacks. I assume you're looking into the program in which NYCOM sends you to one hospital for the entire year. I have done a few rotations at NUMC, and my fiancee has done a few at Maimo. She thought Maimo was the most miserable place on earth to work, and that sentiment was shared by many of my classmates. On the other hand, I know of some who actively sought out that place for residency. She stated that the population is almost entirely minority and Orthodox Jewish, if you're interested in that.

As for NUMC, there is a tremendous amount of exploitation on the rotations, depending of course. They have a lot of specialties in which to work, and the atmosphere is generally more relaxed, unless you're made to do all the residents' consults all day while they surf the internet or discuss the latest Calcutta politics.

Thanks Anasazi23

I interviewed at both for NYCOM's clinical campus and even though most people applaud Maimo and put down NUMC, there was something I really hated about Maimo and loved about NUMC. I can't really place my finger on it as I know very little of either hospital except for their respective residency programs. I loved the DME at NUMC, but is that a good enough reaon to go? and I just got a better feeling about it than I did at Maimo. Anyway, thanks for your input. If there's anything else you could tell me than let me know. I've noticed that there are general complaints about NUMC but those issues do not seem out of the ordinary for a county hospital. Isn't it funded by the gov't since it's a safety net hospital??

Members don't see this ad :)
PS Why did your fiancee think Maimo was such a miserable place to work?

Glad the info was helpful. Why did she hate it so much? She said that with few exceptions, the attendings are incredibly rude and nasty. The daily morning pediatric rounds, for example, consisted of a one-hour yelling/bashing session to the seated admitting resident from the night before - sounded like some sort of law & order episode whilst interrogating some murder suspect.

Keep in mind that there is a very real chance that NUMC will not exist in a year or two.....very serious financial troubles - to the tune of hundreds of layoffs every few months. In fact, there was a meeting the other day while I was there discussing possible places to send their residents for a few disciplines when the place closes.

I guess I am also deciding whether to rotate at one hospital third year or do many?

do many hospitals....variety is a good thing...meeting NUMEROUS attendings and residents is key (network!!!).....and last but not least......from what i hear NUMC is entering a downward spiral in terms of stability......

I tend to agree. Although the commuting can be a royal pain, I feel it's best to get exposure to a variety of hospitals. I know personally, having rotated through close to a dozen metro-area hospitals, you certainly do get a "feel" for what makes a hospital good, bad, indifferent, and so on. Further, I think it has actually affected the way I think about medicine....sort of like taking the best aspects that you liked from each hospital and incorporating it into your everyday practicing.

From a residency standpoint, it clearly is to your advantage to go to multiple hospitals to find out what you like/don't like about various institutions and also exposes you to many different attendings. It may just be that one attending at X hospital you rotate through that gives you the residency recommendation that lands you your desired residency.

Good luck.

Maimonides and NUMC suck! If you really have to pick one, would go to NUMC over Maimo.