Nurses can practice without physician supervision in many states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Look nurses are stupid and pathetic. They think they are smarter when in reality they are so dumb it's laughable. I love when they say they don't want to practice medicine. So blatantly untrue. As a doctor I could excel in nursing classes in 9 th grade. Actual premed classes are tough, and don't involve writing an idiotic fluffy paper.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that if nurses want to have equal opportunities to practice, then Nursing school need to have students take the MCAT, just like with DO.

However, I think that the USMLE should be the national exam across the board, that in order to be a licensed physician, you must pass it. That way there is no question as to wether or not someone is qualified. I wouldnt want someone who couldnt pass the test to treat me, simple as that.

Look nurses are stupid and pathetic. They think they are smarter when in reality they are so dumb it's laughable. I love when they say they don't want to practice medicine. So blatantly untrue. As a doctor I could excel in nursing classes in 9 th grade. Actual premed classes are tough, and don't involve writing an idiotic fluffy paper.

Easy buddy. Doctors need nurses. After working in the healthcare field over the past year, I realize just how much work they actually have to do. Lots of paperwork.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sterling hilariously pointed out that they take general chemistry, physiology, path, anatomy, etc. I used to be a health studies major, and took all of the above courses with the pre-nursing students. The general chemistry is a level below the series required for science majors, and the anatomy/physio, aka the weed-out class at my school, consisted of a final where 40% of the final consisted of labeling the four chambers of the heart and discussing blood flow through them. Obviously this is an anecdote, but still.

Well you missed the meat of my comment. I said specifically that they took lower division classes for our requirements. Thats obvious.

What I was pointing out was many are required to keep near perfect grades to be admitted. Sure their classes may be eaiser, but many GPA requirements are higher. Does this mean they have it as hard as premed studets? No probably not, but its not easy either.

The other thing that rubbs me wrong about comments in this forum is that people seem to think that we must be smarter than a nursing student because we are going for medical school. Anyone can go to medical school if they want to. Many people dont want to be a doctor, its not worth it to them, but that doesnt mean we are smarter than they are. Just try to remember all the times you struggled in classes before degrading someone else.

The other thing is, and I know everyone in here has had a similair experience, there are lots of premed students I know who are complete idiots. Its not just prenursing students who are sometimes dense. The truth is many of the idiot premeds, or prenursing, will never make it into schools. So you cant judge nurses by those who TRY to get in. On top of this there are some *****s who, despite being incompetent, will get into medical school. So drop the high horse act on nurses. Its wrong and juvenile.

Garbage like this should never come from the mouth of any self respecting physician.

Obvious troll.

Well you missed the meat of my comment. I said specifically that they took lower division classes for our requirements. Thats obvious.

What I was pointing out was many are required to keep near perfect grades to be admitted. Sure their classes may be eaiser, but many GPA requirements are higher. Does this mean they have it as hard as premed studets? No probably not, but its not easy either.

The other thing that rubbs me wrong about comments in this forum is that people seem to think that we must be smarter than a nursing student because we are going for medical school. Anyone can go to medical school if they want to. Many people dont want to be a doctor, its not worth it to them, but that doesnt mean we are smarter than they are. Just try to remember all the times you struggled in classes before degrading someone else.

The other thing is, and I know everyone in here has had a similair experience, there are lots of premed students I know who are complete idiots. Its not just prenursing students who are sometimes dense. The truth is many of the idiot premeds, or prenursing, will never make it into schools. So you cant judge nurses by those who TRY to get in. On top of this there are some *****s who, despite being incompetent, will get into medical school. So drop the high horse act on nurses. Its wrong and juvenile.

Not anyone can go to medical school. Just look at the numbers. Seeing the nursing students around campus for the past 3 years leads me to believe just about anyone can go to nursing school

Who's on their high horse? I was just pointing out my side of the fence on the issue. I feel I have a more substantiated view on the topic than most since I've been educating them for three years and see the nuts and bolts of the process. You need to understand that on this forum there are people with validated opinions, then there are others that speak just to be heard. Half of my family has their BSN. I'm not one of those people to think MDO's are the tits. I've worked with some seriously scary doctors that it seems impossible they could even figure out how to sign up for the MCAT let alone do well on it.

Not anyone can go to medical school. Just look at the numbers. Seeing the nursing students around campus for the past 3 years leads me to believe just about anyone can go to nursing school

Who's on their high horse? I was just pointing out my side of the fence on the issue. I feel I have a more substantiated view on the topic than most since I've been educating them for three years and see the nuts and bolts of the process. You need to understand that on this forum there are people with validated opinions, then there are others that speak just to be heard. Half of my family has their BSN. I'm not one of those people to think MDO's are the tits. I've worked with some seriously scary doctors that it seems impossible they could even figure out how to sign up for the MCAT let alone do well on it.

I am not trying to attack you personally I apologize. I admit I am a little worked up from the comments that are demeaning to nurses.

From your own words above its seems to both agree and disagree with me but perhaps I misunderstoood one.

Anyone can make it into medical school if they put the work into it. Its not about smarts at all, its about how bad you want it. To say that nursing students are too stupid to make it into medical school is a gross misinterpretation of facts. Maybe this wasnt what was really being said, but its what came accross.
The only thing I will say about your experience is that you are seeing all the struggling that occurs during their preparation for nursing school. Do you remember how hard it was for you to learn the basics of chemistry? But maybe you didnt have a hard time. I remember having a REALLY difficult time with gen chem concepts. Not everyone just "gets it" the first time, and since you are a TA you are mostly going to see the students who are unable to get the material by themselves. I also speak from experience working with prenursing students and I have found many of them to be brighter than some of my premed collegues. The difference in your's and my expereince is that mine is in the work place where they are allowed to apply their knowledge, and yours is in the academic setting.
Have I seen incompetant prenurses or nurses? Sure. But no more than I have seen incompetant doctors or premeds.

I am not trying to attack you personally I apologize. I admit I am a little worked up from the comments that are demeaning to nurses.

From your own words above its seems to both agree and disagree with me but perhaps I misunderstoood one.

Anyone can make it into medical school if they put the work into it. Its not about smarts at all, its about how bad you want it. To say that nursing students are too stupid to make it into medical school is a gross misinterpretation of facts. Maybe this wasnt what was really being said, but its what came accross.
The only thing I will say about your experience is that you are seeing all the struggling that occurs during their preparation for nursing school. Do you remember how hard it was for you to learn the basics of chemistry? But maybe you didnt have a hard time. I remember having a REALLY difficult time with gen chem concepts. Not everyone just "gets it" the first time, and since you are a TA you are mostly going to see the students who are unable to get the material by themselves. I also speak from experience working with prenursing students and I have found many of them to be brighter than some of my premed collegues. The difference in your's and my expereince is that mine is in the work place where they are allowed to apply their knowledge, and yours is in the academic setting.
Have I seen incompetant prenurses or nurses? Sure. But no more than I have seen incompetant doctors or premeds.

No offense taken. I never said nursing students are too stupid to make it into medical school. It's a trivial argument to make, so I don't really care enough about it to warrant having an opinion on the matter. I had a very difficult time with gen chem, and all sciences coming into college, so I definitely "get it".

And lastly, my experience is not just limited to an academic setting. I work with them on a daily basis as well. Some of the hardest working people in the world that are severely undervalued.

No offense taken. I never said nursing students are too stupid to make it into medical school. It's a trivial argument to make, so I don't really care enough about it to warrant having an opinion on the matter. I had a very difficult time with gen chem, and all sciences coming into college, so I definitely "get it".

And lastly, my experience is not just limited to an academic setting. I work with them on a daily basis as well. Some of the hardest working people in the world that are severely undervalued.

I apologize, it seems I took the conversation on a different route than was intended.

Back to the origional discussion about DNPs here is an interesting article on the subject, its a little old but still: http://ajcc.aacnjournals.org/content/14/4/278.full

I respectfully disagree.

And thats perfectly fine. I just believe this because I come from a background where I was never educated in anyway till I was 13. I am not the most competitive student for medical school, my early lack of education saw to that, but I feel I have a decent shot. I worked extreamly hard for it, and I know anyone could do the same. Granted I am not actually IN medical school yet so maybe I shouldnt use myself as an example.

I give this troll a 3/10 because someone actually responded.

I give this troll a 3/10 because someone actually responded.

:thumbup: Absolutely. If that person is an attending. . .wow. . . Way to present a position or argument like a child in 3rd grade. Completely bogus. Hmmm, guess I could just post that I am the Surgeon General, and it would be believable? Come on.

There is no way this guy is an attending. Being a nurse for two years now, I wonder if doctors really think this about nurses. I guess my stupid pathetic nurse self better step aside as Jesus almighty over here monitors patients for 12 hours. Remember, you CAN'T do what you do without nurses. Unless, like I said, you plan on monitor patients for 12 hours yourself.

There is no way this guy is an attending. Being a nurse for two years now, I wonder if doctors really think this about nurses. I guess my stupid pathetic nurse self better step aside as Jesus almighty over here monitors patients for 12 hours. Remember, you CAN'T do what you do without nurses. Unless, like I said, you plan on monitor patients for 12 hours yourself.

Couldn't agree more. In my mind (and this by no means its the way it has to be) the nurse is the patient advocate. They are meant to speak for the best interest of the patients wants and needs and desires because they are the one's constantly with them. They form the close relationship, they understand the patient. The physician is meant to be the more objective descision maker, but he is unable to make these descisions competently if he isnt provided the proper information that only comes from the nurse. These roles are fundamentally different but both are extreamly essential for the proper care of patients.

Couldn't agree more. In my mind (and this by no means its the way it has to be) the nurse is the patient advocate. They are meant to speak for the best interest of the patients wants and needs and desires because they are the one's constantly with them. They form the close relationship, they understand the patient. The physician is meant to be the more objective descision maker, but he is unable to make these descisions competently if he isnt provided the proper information that only comes from the nurse. These roles are fundamentally different but both are extreamly essential for the proper care of patients.

This. Always being with the patient gives you a good understanding of their needs.

I really hope you're right but given his post history and join date I think there is a chance he could be (an attending)*

Last edited:
And thats perfectly fine. I just believe this because I come from a background where I was never educated in anyway till I was 13. I am not the most competitive student for medical school, my early lack of education saw to that, but I feel I have a decent shot. I worked extreamly hard for it, and I know anyone could do the same. Granted I am not actually IN medical school yet so maybe I shouldnt use myself as an example.

I get what you're saying and if you're talking about a theoretical probability than I'd say that most college students are intellectually capable of getting into a school; that is there isn't anything intrinsically hard about becoming a good applicant that a motivated person couldn't do. But in reality it's a competitive process where many perfectly qualified people simply don't get in.