Nursing and an MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrish0204

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I realize that many schools offer joint MSN / MPH programs, but I am interested in hearing from someone that is has both a nursing degree and an MPH. What kinds of job opportunities do you have? Specifically how do you use both your MPH and nursing degrees in the same job? I will graduate with an MSN and I'm also drawn to the public health field (possibly epidemiology but not set on that).

I assume that there must be jobs out there that might demand a nurse with a public health background but I would like some specifics. Also, is it better to get an MPH or go for a public health nursing degree / certificate? Thanks for anyone's input.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the specifics to answers your questions, but I will share what I know.

I had a MPH classmate who was a clinical research RN and she will be using her MPH in move towards more independent research, rather than being staff on research projects.

If you want to be a public health nurse, I believe that your license and some hands-experience is all that is needed. Public health nursing a cross-over between public health practice and nursing obviousily, but I think it falls more into the nursing releam of things. I had never heard of " a public health nursing degree" before, so I can't comment.

I would suggest just trying to get some hands-on public health experience, either practice or research, and see what you think of it. You can always get a degree later. Once you have one masters, the marginal gain in qualifications from the second is smaller.

I don't know the specifics to answers your questions, but I will share what I know.

I had a MPH classmate who was a clinical research RN and she will be using her MPH in move towards more independent research, rather than being staff on research projects.

I'm fairly certain to move into independent research (ie. become a PI), you need to have a doctoral-level degree (with that's a PhD, MD, or otherwise). Unless you possess that credential and you have the ambition to become a PI, it's not something that just happens since you have this level of education.

OP, as to what MPH adds to someone who is a nurse, it would supplement your clinical research skills with methodologic skills (if you got epidemiology or biostatistics degrees). It enables you to branch out from your specific area of nursing/clinical work to more etiologic and other PH fields if you wish to leave them. This is the most logical progression I often see with nurses.