Nursing Home Code Blue?!?!?!?!?

prepremed18079

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a High School Sophomore and also a CNA student. I start clinicals next week Friday, and for some reason all I been thinking about is what if one of my clients/residents starts to code? I am not yet CPR certified and we havn't gone over "Basic Emergency Care" yet... what is the protocol for a code in a nursing home? ANd do they have code buttons in the room?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a High School Sophomore and also a CNA student. I start clinicals next week Friday, and for some reason all I been thinking about is what if one of my clients/residents starts to code? I am not yet CPR certified and we havn't gone over "Basic Emergency Care" yet... what is the protocol for a code in a nursing home? ANd do they have code buttons in the room?
your protocol is to holler for someone who actually knows what to do

Reactions: 4 users
Widely varies based on facility. You'll learn how to properly deal with this in your BLS course. Generally you call an ambulance and the resident is only coded by you until they get there and can start ALS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Widely varies based on facility. You'll learn how to properly deal with this in your BLS course. Generally you call an ambulance and the resident is only coded by you until they get there and can start ALS.

And then if they survive, they go through the rigamarole of a long ICU stay which changes absolutely nothing and despite all the care, money etc they have a 92% 30 day mortality... Yay for spending useful healthcare dollars.

I am of the very strong opinion that if you are in a nursing facility, you should be DNR/DNI. Period.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

I suggest just going through the motions. CPR is easy. Just kiss them and punch them in their chest. Easy.

Every time I have responded to a nursing home full arrest it looks a little something like this...
upload_2016-1-30_21-57-25.png

Nobody knows what is going on, and we just tell them to leave so we can actually begin to work the patient.

And then if they survive, they go through the rigamarole of a long ICU stay which changes absolutely nothing and despite all the care, money etc they have a 92% 30 day mortality... Yay for spending useful healthcare dollars.

I am of the very strong opinion that if you are in a nursing facility, you should be DNR/DNI. Period.

^ This...

Also, call 911. They'll tell you how to do CPR, really simple actually.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app