spiritedaway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Hey everybody,
I have another question from my friend who is interested in nursing.

A lot of the schools and community colleges that she is looking at are accredited by different leagues/councils.
She reports that some schools are accredited by the "National League of Nursing", while some are simply accredited by their regional association (i.e. "North Central Association of Colleges and Schools") without actually indicating that their nursing school is accredited.
One particular school she's interested in, Medcentral College of Nursing, is approved by the "Ohio Board of Regents" and accredited by "The Higher Learning Commission" and "North Central Association".
Questions:
Does it matter if your nursing school is not accredited by the "national league of nursing"? Will she be at a disadvantage graduating from a school that is not accredited by the National League of nursing, such as medcentral, or some community colleges? Will it affect your ability to become a RN, take the NCLEX, or get a job? Any advice about nursing school accreditation would be deeply appreciated!
~ From spiritedaway, who knows nothing about nursing schools :oops:

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
In a world all my own.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
As taken from www.allnursingschools.com/faqs/accredfaq.php :

There are two national organizations that accredit nursing education programs. National League of Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) accredits all types of nursing education programs including masters, baccalaureate, associate degree, and diploma. The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredits programs that offer only masters and baccalaureate level nursing degrees.

Many colleges nationwide are also regionally accredited by on of the arms of the Commission of schools and colleges.

As far as which accreditation is the accepted group of NCLEX test takers, well I think the folks at allnurses.com would answer your question better.

If you post this question at that site the forum moderators will give you a much more detailed answer than I.

www.allnurses.com

Agape.