NY and Boston hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Whatever

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In general (specialty aside), of the Boston and NY hospitals, how would you rank the competitiveness? Clinical vs. research focus?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe on average the Boston-area academic centers are a little more competitive than the New York City-area programs. New York programs are known to overwork residents and have nursing/ancillary staff that's less-than-great with getting their job done. It's my contention that Boston programs are a lot more academic on average when compared to their New York counterparts.

And With ACGME rules on an 80-hour work week in effect nationwide, there's no particular advantage to being in New York in that regard. Oh, and if you want that certification of being a great phlebotomist, New York's your town. :)

Boston's also a great little town. New York, on the other hand, is the GREATEST city on earth.

In GENERAL, I would have to agree that Boston programs (MGH, Brigham) have a slight edge over NYC programs...especially for IM. However, for specialty medicine (Ortho, Heme/Onc, Interventional Cards...NYC programs have been ranked much higher than Boston programs. Plus, NYC has lots more hospitals than Boston and it's a better city overall.

I don't know about the NYC programs, but the Harvard hospitals (I don't know much about the other Boston programs) place a huge emphasis on developing leaders, whether this be in basic research, clinical research, or clinical. Their tenure-track requirements follow this accordingly, and many of the programs have a research requirement. The preference for leadership material is true across all specialities, although I think BIDMC is a little more lenient with its residents.