NY Presbyterian ED Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtobe2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this program? Is it pretty good? Well respected? Offers good training? I'm trying to decide away rotations and was curious if I should invest a month at this place as a sub-i.

Members don't see this ad.

First a disclaimer: I am a third year resident at NYP.

I think we have a great program. The two campuses (Cornell and Columbia) are very different and make for a rich experience. Cornell is a typical academic center. Columbia is a high volume county-esque inner city experience. The sub-is do 2 weeks at each, as well as an ultrasound and EMS shifts. I did the sub-i as a med student and highly enjoyed it. In terms of rotating there, I think it's worth it for seeing two very different NYC ERs in one month. A con to keep in mind depending on your interests is that as with most NYC programs trauma is not a highlight of the experience.

i'd say yes to your questions - doing EM in NY has some definite positives and negatives. if you must be in NY, it's one of the better programs.

nationally though, the "best" or "most competitive" or "most prestigious" programs are spread far and wide, and where you fit is a whole 'nother issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Students who I know who have graduated from Cornell or Columbia do NOT like this program. It's telling that none of the graduating Cornell students stayed on...

Students who I know who have graduated from Cornell or Columbia do NOT like this program. It's telling that none of the graduating Cornell students stayed on...

This year was kinda weird that most of our interns are from California. Every other year there has been at least one Cornell grad in the class. I really think the program is popular among the Cornell students (though I don't think that's necessarily a great measure of the quality of a program), but maybe if there are some Cornell students on here they can correct me if I am wrong. Anecdotally, on one of my off service rotations last year, a surgery attending on learning that I am an EM resident, said in a somewhat irritated tone: "Well, you guys must be doing something right, since like EVERY student here [at Cornell] wants to go into EM now.'

It's telling that none of the graduating Cornell students stayed on...

Every other year there has been at least one Cornell grad in the class.

Talk is talk, but the biscuit speaks for the cook (and I am not a DO, if you recognize that quote). Who's right?