NY State Med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Josh

Besides Upstate, Downstate and Stony Brook, what other NY state medical school is there? Which is the easiest to get into?

Members don't see this ad.

Besides Upstate, Downstate and Stony Brook, what other NY state medical school is there? Which is the easiest to get into?

SUNY Buffalo is the fourth. Most agree that Buffalo and Upstate are the least competitive (due mostly to location), then Downstate, with Stony Brook generally being the most competitive. The IS interview chances are about 1 in 3 for Downstate, and 1 in 6 for SB.

SUNY Buffalo is the fourth. Most agree that Buffalo and Upstate are the least competitive (due mostly to location), then Downstate, with Stony Brook generally being the most competitive. The IS interview chances are about 1 in 3 for Downstate, and 1 in 6 for SB.

Thanks, I thought Buffalo was the other but when i did a search, it seemed like it was referring to UG. And yea figures about the competitveness because for the same reasons (weather), but also proximity to home, that's the reverse order of my interest in them. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I thought Buffalo was the other but when i did a search, it seemed like it was referring to UG. And yea figures about the competitveness because for the same reasons (weather), but also proximity to home, that's the reverse order of my interest in them. :(

SB is hardest to get into, but they have the same problem as the upstate schools: people apply there due to rep, figure out it's a couple of hours to the city in traffic, and withdraw their acceptances.

If you're from LI, my guess is that your interview odds are slightly higher (you know the area, are more likely to attend). They're also very research-friendly, so having some of that on your app will be a plus. I'm pretty sure it was my research that got me my interview, as it certainly wasn't my extreme lack of ties to LI. :D

SB is hardest to get into, but they have the same problem as the upstate schools: people apply there due to rep, figure out it's a couple of hours to the city in traffic, and withdraw their acceptances.

If you're from LI, my guess is that your interview odds are slightly higher (you know the area, are more likely to attend). They're also very research-friendly, so having some of that on your app will be a plus. I'm pretty sure it was my research that got me my interview, as it certainly wasn't my extreme lack of ties to LI. :D

well I don't exactly have medical research. I've done some volunteer work in a medical research lab, an outcome study (unpublished) for a LI hospital, and an independent research project unrelated to medicine. Whjat kind of research did you have? Would it help for me to shadow at SB (it might be a PA, though)? I can't do it too often though as it's quite a drive for me to go there.

lol, I find this funny since neither Buffalo nor Upstate bothered to give me an interview (Upstate put me on pre-interview HOLD and Buffalo just didn't bother to do anything at all), while Downstate gave me an interview very quickly. Go figure.

Actually, I suspect it was because Downstate had those optional essays, which gave me a chance to basically proclaim my grand love of NYC =)

its difficult to rank them-i think it boils down to location and many agree. i got the infamous pre interview hold from upstate as well and am WL at buffalo while downstate sent me a perfect little rej letter. interpret this as you may but all the sunys are great to me=)

yeah, strange, I got an interview from downstate, hold at upstate, and rejections from stony brook and buffalo

And today I got my interview from Stony Brook...

So that means the supposedly 2 least competitive ones both ignored me, while Downstate and Stony Brook both gave me interviews...lol

I again suspect it was the essays (plus, my interviewer at Downstate flat out said my writing was beautiful, so I can only assume she meant their essays).

And to confuse things a bit more, I am from Long Island, received my 1st interview invite from Upstate back in Nov., and haven't heard a thing from either Downstate or SB. Didn't bother with Buffalo.

I was also accepted to Stony Brook but received a post interview rejection from Upstate. I canceled my Buffalo interview and will be attending one at Downstate in March (probably for a wait list spot).

For Upstate, I think I may have come off as not overly enthused about attending school in Syracuse which may have hurt me. I had a bunch of reasons for wanting to go to Stony Brook (attended SBU for undergrad, closest, etc). For those interested in attending any of the SUNY's I would suggest that you be prepared to explain to your interviewers why you are interested in that specific location.

In conclusion, while SBU may technically be the most competitive, a larger factor may be each SUNY's impression of your willingness to attend at their specific location.

From CA:

Interview at Upstate, Rejection from Downstate =/

I'm from NY, August MCAT taker, interview and acceptance from Downstate, rejection from Stonybrook, Hold at Upstate, and no word from Buffalo. Yet I interviewed at Einstein. Go figure.

SUNYs want to know that you are going to actually attend their school. There was no way in hell I was going to go to Buffalo or Upstate.