NY state residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnt3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm originally from California, been there all my life. I moved to Ithaca for college (Cornell) in the Fall of 97. Now, I'm working full-time at Cornell Medical Center. I started June 18, 2001. Can I declare myself as a New York State resident? Does anyone know what the requirements are for NY state residency? I put NY as my permanent residence on my AMCAS application.

Members don't see this ad.

each school in the state has the ability of making it's own definition of new york residency for the purposes of tuition payment. i assume you would like to declare residency to attend a SUNY med school...
check out the following website which outlines the university's policy: www.sysadm.suny.edu/finman/Busiserv/procman/it010-1.htm

i think the most important thing, however, is establishing proof of address. gather your old bills, or perhaps the phone/electric company can even provide copies of old ones (for a fee, of course). good luck.

nicole

Do you work as a lab tech there? I worked there briefly during the summer.

Good choice changing state residency :D. Californians seem to have it tough.

Sorry couldn't answer your question :D

Members don't see this ad :)
this totally depends on the school. i can't speak for NY, but at least in illinois, at least one school requires you to live and collect wages in the state for a year before you are considered a state resident. your time in college doesn't count, so technically you've only been a resident of NY since june 18.

so the bottom line is that you probably need to call the individual schools you're applying to and ask them what their guidelines for residency are.

I'm doing research in MRI, at Cornell Med's Radiology Department, scanning patients with renal and carotid stents. Challenging but interesting.
Thanks for the info everyone.