NYC internal medicine residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ NewYorkDoctors - not everyone has 260+ on the boards. Don't worry, it's the whole package that is looked at when considering interview invitations.

Members don't see this ad.

Lenox Hill has sent out invites; last week was the first wave if I recall, I recieved one today.
My friend was invited via Maimo today as well.
Was hoping someone could comment on SUNY Downstate as well..

hello. Downstate sent me an interview today.

Btw, please excuse the way my text sounded in that other thread. Everyone is very anxious around this time of year. Some moreso than others (meaning myself)

Would it be accurate to say that Winthrop is roughly a long island equivalent to Cedars Sinai LA....and if not, why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please explain the difference between:
1) AE Montefiore - Moses and Weiler Campuses
and
2) AE Montefiore - Wakefield Campus

Are they both considered to be main university programs for AECOM? When someone refers to "Montefiore," which one are they referring to?

Thanks

Can someone please explain the difference between:
1) AE Montefiore - Moses and Weiler Campuses
and
2) AE Montefiore - Wakefield Campus

Are they both considered to be main university programs for AECOM? When someone refers to "Montefiore," which one are they referring to?

Thanks

The Moses/Weiler campus is the real one.

I find it suspicious that they didn't publish their fellowship placement by years, but all bulked together.

Would it be accurate to say that Winthrop is roughly a long island equivalent to Cedars Sinai LA....and if not, why?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, Gutonc

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Thanks. I was under an impression that Winthrop was among the best community programs in NYC, program of the level of SLR and Jacobi.

You will find this to be more or less the rule at all of the low tier community programs.

Thanks. I was under an impression that Winthrop was among the best community programs in NYC, program of the level of SLR and Jacobi.

Im also curious as to where Winthrop and Jacobi stands. In NYC, I believe your decent community programs are SLR, BI, Maimonides, Winthrop. Then you have your lesser known ones...

Are you aware that most university programs would not touch IMG with a 10 inch pole? Even if they were ranked first at their med school, which collaborate closely to the universities sponsoring said programs, have very high USMLE scores, PhD and substantial publication record, without any gap in clinical education? The reason is that the program does not want to be seen as if they can't get enough AMG applicants.

Similarly, AMGs don't want to go to program with significant fraction of IMGs, so they are not seen as a failure by their peers.

In fact, while IMGs are the ultimate "untouchables", there are many more castes in the system. I just looked for instance at UPMC and Northwestern residency programs. There is not a single resident there from the top 10 med schools.

As result of these two forces there is a clear convergence towards segregation of programs into two types: exclusively AMG and exclusively IMG. And as it makes sense to question which AMG program gives better training, it makes sense to ask the same regarding the IMG programs. But probably this is the wrong forum to ask these question as AMGs are naturally unfamiliar with IMG programs.

P.S. I'm not even sure if comparison between programs belonging to different AMG castes (or leagues, as they are called here) makes any sense besides the community bias.

Hence there is a clear segregation

1. Winthrop - an FMG mill with no AMG
2. Jacobi - an FMG mill with no AMG:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you aware that most university programs would not touch IMG with a 10 inch pole? Even if they were ranked first at their med school, which collaborate closely to the universities sponsoring said programs, have very high USMLE scores, PhD and substantial publication record, without any gap in clinical education? The reason is that the program does not want to be seen as if they can't get enough AMG applicants.

Similarly, AMGs don't want to go to program with significant fraction of IMGs, so they are not seen as a failure by their peers.

In fact, while IMGs are the ultimate "untouchables", there are many more castes in the system. I just looked for instance at UPMC and Northwestern residency programs. There is not a single resident there from the top 10 med schools.

As result of these two forces there is a clear convergence towards segregation of programs into two types: exclusively AMG and exclusively IMG. And as it makes sense to question which AMG program gives better training, it makes sense to ask the same regarding the IMG programs. But probably this is the wrong forum to ask these question as AMGs are naturally unfamiliar with IMG programs.

P.S. I'm not even sure if comparison between programs belonging to different AMG castes (or leagues, as they are called here) makes any sense besides the community bias.

Hence there is a clear segregation

I looked at Northwestern and saw several students from top 10 schools. As far as UPMC, the residency is probably not considered 'strong enough' for people to over look the fact that its in Pittsburgh.

I stand corrected, in the last match they netted one each of UMich, UPenn and UWash.
http://www.medicine.northwestern.edu/sites/default/files/Department%20of%20Medicine/Residency/Match-2012.ppt
And it's clear that one of the goals of the selection was to have "60% from top 25 schools" on the first slide.

I looked at Northwestern and saw several students from top 10 schools. As far as UPMC, the residency is probably not considered 'strong enough' for people to over look the fact that its in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
I stand correctect, in the last match they netted one each of UMich, UPenn and UWash.
http://www.medicine.northwestern.edu/sites/default/files/Department%20of%20Medicine/Residency/Match-2012.ppt
And it's clear that one of the goals of the selection was to have "60% from top 25 schools" on the first slide.

I guess I was looking at the residents from 2 yrs ago. I saw multiple Harvard, Stanford, WashU, UMich, UWash, Columbia, UChicago etc.

http://www.medicine.northwestern.edu/residency/about-program/current-residents

Ok, looked at the class of 2013. Several from UMich, and one from UPenn. Hopkins, Stanford, UCSF and Harvard go to Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford and Harvard, though likely, Northwestern is as good trainining as any. Why? Fellowships would prefer to take residents from Hopkins,UCSF, Stanford and Harvard.

I guess I was looking at the residents from 2 yrs ago. I saw multiple Harvard, Stanford, WashU, UMich, UWash, Columbia, UChicago etc.

http://www.medicine.northwestern.edu/residency/about-program/current-residents

This is not true. Winthrop matched 6 stony brook graduates for categorical IM last year because it is an affiliate.
Do you know where to find a list of their housestaff?

I've seen the house list. Its mostly IMG with Carib/Other and some AMGs sprinkled in. However; most of the AMG's are prelims. House list is only available to employees unfortunately.

Last edited:
Anybody have info on Beth Israel?
I've heard some aweful things from student's I have met on the trail. One called it "dangerous" for patient care...
Any insight on the overall quality of life, teaching, experience in general? I was going to cancel my interview, but I am having second thoughts.

You wouldn't hear much about Brookdale on SDN.

I do know it's in a bad neighborhood. Definitely the not positively reputable amongst the crop of community hospitals in the city. Although I don't know where residents come from, and I can only imagine it being IMGs, etc.

Sorry, wish I could help more.

Can anyone shed some light on Brookdale IM program???

Rotated there as a med student "several" years ago. All IMGs then, no research, not sure about fellowship opportunities. Underserved population. Rough neighborhood (but not the worst in "Deep Brooklyn" by any stretch).

Honestly, what I remember the most about Brookdale was being at Kings County and getting any remotely complicated patient transferred to us there.

Can anyone offer some insights into Lenox Hill, Beth Israel, St. Luke's-Roosevelt, and/or Winthrop?

Lenox Hill - How's the clinical pathology/patient population? From my initial impression, I don't think there's as much pathology as the other programs listed above.

Beth Israel - How's the teaching and clinical training and academics/teaching? I really love the location, IMHO, the best of the bunch. I do believe that there is more diverse pathology. How about the teaching at this hospital? I wasn't too impressed with the way case presentations took place.

SLR - From what people tell me, it's probably one the better community programs of this bunch. Residents were generally happy. Roosevelt hospital was pretty nice. St. Luke's not so much..

Winthrop - I don't know what to make of this program. It's a small hospital in LI, but seems to have a fair mix of patient diversity. Seems to have a lot of private patients. Other than that.. any other thoughts?

Can anyone offer some insights into Lenox Hill, Beth Israel, St. Luke's-Roosevelt, and/or Winthrop?

Lenox Hill - How's the clinical pathology/patient population? From my initial impression, I don't think there's as much pathology as the other programs listed above.

Beth Israel - How's the teaching and clinical training and academics/teaching? I really love the location, IMHO, the best of the bunch. I do believe that there is more diverse pathology. How about the teaching at this hospital? I wasn't too impressed with the way case presentations took place.

SLR - From what people tell me, it's probably one the better community programs of this bunch. Residents were generally happy. Roosevelt hospital was pretty nice. St. Luke's not so much..

Winthrop - I don't know what to make of this program. It's a small hospital in LI, but seems to have a fair mix of patient diversity. Seems to have a lot of private patients. Other than that.. any other thoughts?

I think you have a pretty good handle on them. SLR>BI>Lenox Hill>Winthrop.

Thanks gutonc!

Does the order change if one intends on pursuing fellowship (ID, Rheum, Endo)?

Thanks gutonc!

Does the order change if one intends on pursuing fellowship (ID, Rheum, Endo)?

Those 3 fellowships... It doesn't matter in which hospital of those you train, you'll most likely get any of them if you work in your residency for it( case reports, shadowing, show a genuine interest for a strong rec letter( and a call) from a staff In That field.

Does anyone have Monte's comprehensive match data for the last few years that they could post or PM me? On interview day they gave us a few pages with combined 2009-2012 results, but it seems to leave quite a bit out and it's difficult to judge strength without the yearly breakdown. Thanks.

I interviewed at NS-LIJ and couldn't get a feel for how academic it was, or how the clinical training would be. And, it's too expensive for me to arrange a second look, so I'm hoping y'all might be able to offer some insights.

I applied mainly in the Midwest, and by these the standards the facilities were not impressive, though the proximity to the city may make up for this.

Does anyone have personal experience, and can speak to how well regarded the clinical training would be? Currently I'm planning on PCCM.

Thanks!

I interviewed at NS-LIJ and couldn't get a feel for how academic it was, or how the clinical training would be. And, it's too expensive for me to arrange a second look, so I'm hoping y'all might be able to offer some insights.

I applied mainly in the Midwest, and by these the standards the facilities were not impressive, though the proximity to the city may make up for this.

Does anyone have personal experience, and can speak to how well regarded the clinical training would be? Currently I'm planning on PCCM.

Thanks!

Sorry I can't comment on this either - because we didn't get to see any educational time! That was definitely very disappointing. I left feeling very much like LIJ wasn't very academically-oriented and thinking the program was more interested in showing how "chill" they were than actually learning.

Does anyone have Monte's comprehensive match data for the last few years that they could post or PM me? On interview day they gave us a few pages with combined 2009-2012 results, but it seems to leave quite a bit out and it's difficult to judge strength without the yearly breakdown. Thanks.

Montefiori is a very good program. But you will work hard and be exposed to a very good breadth of patients which is great.
No pain no gain.

thoughts on NYU vs Cornell? Really liked different things about both programs. NYU - great diversity of patients/medical centers, opportunity to work with underserved, autonomy. Cornell - emphasis on teaching, mentorship, research, bonus 4 + 2. I'm ultimately interested in cardio.

thoughts on NYU vs Cornell? Really liked different things about both programs. NYU - great diversity of patients/medical centers, opportunity to work with underserved, autonomy. Cornell - emphasis on teaching, mentorship, research, bonus 4 + 2. I'm ultimately interested in cardio.

You can't lose... I'd rank block scheduling higher than traditional scheduling in this case :) Plus I think reputation-wise Cornell > NYU imho.

From my understanding, NYU>Cornell for cards and Cornell>NYU for heme/onc. That being said however, I believe all the NY programs have uber impressive fellowship match lists.

Has anyone heard from Columbia post interview?

Stony Brook is a strong affiliate of Winthrop and many top students from Stony Brook match well at Winthrop. I have a friend doing prelim IM at Einstein and then RADS at Winthrop. It's a nice area, only two or three stops away from NYC on the LIRR. Winthrop is also building a new Diabetes Research complex right next to its campus. Stony Brook students that rotate there love it. It is not as good as Stony Brook in terms of academic medicine or the teaching, but Stony Brook Medicine more or less has a huge controlling interest in this hospital, so not to worry.

Stony Brook is a strong affiliate of Winthrop and many top students from Stony Brook match well at Winthrop. I have a friend doing prelim IM at Einstein and then RADS at Winthrop. It's a nice area, only two or three stops away from NYC on the LIRR. Winthrop is also building a new Diabetes Research complex right next to its campus. Stony Brook students that rotate there love it. It is not as good as Stony Brook in terms of academic medicine or the teaching, but Stony Brook Medicine more or less has a huge controlling interest in this hospital, so not to worry.

Umm what? This post is extraordinarily misleading in an IM forum. First off, great, your friend matched at Winthrop for Radiology... but it's radiology - it's so competitive you'd be happy to go anywhere really. This is completely different from matching into IM at Winthrop.

Next, SB students love it there because they have minimal responsibility and get out early (who cares about learning?)... you are correct in that it doesn't really compare to SB in terms of academic medicine.

Finally, Stony Brook Medicine has zero controlling interest in the hospital because, wait for it, they are two totally separate hospitals. The medicine departments do not share attendings or residents. Stony Brook IM residents do not rotate at Winthrop and vice versa. The only thing these hospitals share are Stony Brook students, and barely.

Umm what? This post is extraordinarily misleading in an IM forum. First off, great, your friend matched at Winthrop for Radiology... but it's radiology - it's so competitive you'd be happy to go anywhere really. This is completely different from matching into IM at Winthrop.

Next, SB students love it there because they have minimal responsibility and get out early (who cares about learning?)... you are correct in that it doesn't really compare to SB in terms of academic medicine.

Finally, Stony Brook Medicine has zero controlling interest in the hospital because, wait for it, they are two totally separate hospitals. The medicine departments do not share attendings or residents. Stony Brook IM residents do not rotate at Winthrop and vice versa. The only thing these hospitals share are Stony Brook students, and barely.

I remember on the interview day, one of the assoc PD labeled Winthrop as a university program. I mean, just because it has university in it's name... it isn't really a university program per se.

As a Winthrop Clinical Campus student from Stony Brook who has committed nearly 2 years at Winthrop, I wanted to give some perspective on this hospital. My experience at Winthrop has only been wonderful - the attendings are extremely bright and approachable, the residents are hardworking, the ancillary staff is great and the teaching is ample! Over the years, the number of FMGs has substantially decreased and last year 17/24 categorical residents were American graduates! I must say that most of the FMGs that I have had the pleasure of working with during my clinical rotations are extremely bright (walking encyclopedias), hard-working and intellectually challenge everyone. The preliminary year match is always outstanding - comprising of all American graduates who are pursuing some of the most competitive residency positions.

As a bonus, clinical campus students and residents are given free food daily, free parking, and extremely nice and affordable housing right near the hospital. The hospital is also conveniently located near the Mineola LIRR which makes a very easy commute into the city. I have yet to meet a single resident that regretted their decision to come to Winthrop! I am hoping to match here for my prelim year!

Winthrop is great for a prelim, not so for a categorical. Almost all their fellowship matches are Winthrop, and of the few external I saw none were in a relatively top program. And decreasing the number of IMGs will not help. There are programs that are mostly IMGs, such as SLR or Jacobi, that have significantly better fellowship matches. While trying to take as little IMGs as possible (or not at all) may work harmlessly for Hopkins or MGH, it should not be a focus for Winthrop as it might hurt their house staff quality.

I have yet to meet a single resident that regretted their decision to come to Winthrop! I am hoping to match here for my prelim year!

Since there has been a lot of discussion about Winthrop on this forum, some of which is unfairly negative, I thought I'd put out the list of where the 2012-2013 Winthrop IM PGY1s are from.

Winthrop IM Categorical PGY1
1. State University of NY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
2. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
3. St. George’s University, Grenada
4. Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
5. St. George’s University, Grenada
6. Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
7. State University of New York Upstate Medical University
8. St. Bartholomew's & the Royal London School of Medicine, United Kingdom
9. Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
10. St. George’s University, Grenada
11. Northwestern University, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
12. Ross University School of Medicine, Dominica
13. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
14. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
15. State University of New York Upstate Medical University
16. NY College of Osteopathic Medicine, Old Westbury, NY
17. Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA
18. St. George’s University, Grenada
19. St. George’s University, Grenada
20. Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
21. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
22. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
23. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
24. NY College of Osteopathic Medicine, Old Westbury, NY

Winthrop IM Prelim PGY1
1. Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
2. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
3. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
4. State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
5. Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
6. State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
7. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
8. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
9. New York University School of Medicine
10. UMDNJ – New Jersey Medical School
11. The Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
12. New York University School of Medicine
13. The School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center
14. State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
15. Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University

And along similar lines to my previous post, here is the Winthrop IM Fellowship Match for 2013.

1) Nephrology Fellowship - University of Maryland
2) Cardiology fellowship – Deborah Heart and Lung Center
3) Hematology Oncology Fellowship – Winthrop University Hospital
4) Cardiology Fellowship – Winthrop University Hospital
5) Endocrine Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
6) Gastroenterology Winthrop University Hospital
7) Gastroenterology Fellowship University of Mississippi
8) Oncology Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
9) Pulmonary Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
10) Geriatrics Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
11) Cardiology Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
12) Chief Resident Winthrop University Hospital
13) Nephrology Fellowship Yale University School of Medicine
14) Rheumatology Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
15) Cardiology Fellowship University of Tennessee
16) Allergy Immunology Winthrop University Hospital
17) Chief Resident Winthrop University Hospital
18) Rheumatology Fellowship - University of Maryland
19) Gastroenterology Winthrop University Hospital
20) Gastroenterology Winthrop University Hospital
21) Sports Medicine/Primary Care Fellowship University of Buffalo
22) Hepatology Fellowship UMDNJ

And along similar lines to my previous post, here is the Winthrop IM Fellowship Match for 2013.

1)Nephrology Fellowship - University of Maryland
2)Cardiology fellowship – Deborah Heart and Lung Center
3)Hematology Oncology Fellowship – Winthrop University Hospital
4)Cardiology Fellowship – Winthrop University Hospital
5)Endocrine Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
6)Gastroenterology Winthrop University Hospital
7)Gastroenterology Fellowship University of Mississippi
8)Oncology Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
9)Pulmonary Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
10)Geriatrics Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
11)Cardiology Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
12)Chief Resident Winthrop University Hospital
13)Nephrology Fellowship Yale University School of Medicine
14)Rheumatology Fellowship Winthrop University Hospital
15)Cardiology Fellowship University of Tennessee
16) Allergy Immunology Winthrop University Hospital
17)Chief Resident Winthrop University Hospital
18)Rheumatology Fellowship - University of Maryland
19)Gastroenterology Winthrop University Hospital
20)Gastroenterology Winthrop University Hospital
21)Sports Medicine/Primary Care Fellowship University of Buffalo
22)Hepatology Fellowship UMDNJ

Very impressive.
Whoever trained in NYC knows what Winthrop is.

planet long island

don't want to start a lengthy argument here, but Winthrop is just not a competitive program for categoricals, perhaprs perlims but there are numerous other community programs in NYC that are better than Winthrop. Good luck on Mar 15 everyone!