NYC MCAT Prep: Think MCAt vs Kaplan Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medmegs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Anyone in NYC take both (unlikely I know) or do enough research comparing Kaplan and Think MCAT? I am having a hard time deciding. I need the external structure of a course to keep my pace going - of that I am sure since I will be working full time. Or, anyone have any major pros-cons of either. I know that most of my work will be what I do on my own, but I would like to hear a case for either course.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken both. They are VERY different approaches to the MCAT. For me, a blend of the two is what worked. Roberts is great at the Bio section and his audio is for the most part pretty good --- especially the bio audio. Kaplan is more geared towards test taking strategies and focuses less on content. If you're looking for a more detailed response, PM me.

Hey I really would appreciate an answer on this. Looking for a prep class in the NYC area and was wondering what is the best out. Was looking into Thinkmcat. Any suggestions?

Took the Kaplan prep course, definitely was a good resource. Some good review stuff but I didn't really find their techniques worked well for me. The amount of online quizzes for each subject and all of the other online practice tests did help with time management though. Glad I took it. Haven't taken the other prep course but thought I would give you my experience with Kaplan. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, so you recommend Kaplan. Does anyone else have any opinions on prep courses?

I personally never took a prep course so take my opinion with a grain of salt. However, the general trend I see with Kaplan prep courses for any standardized test is more of a focus on test taking strategies rather than the actual content. This could be great for you (if you are bad at standardized tests but have a good grasp of the content) or terrible for you (if you really need heavy content review/struggled in some of the pre-reqs).

Self-studying also has its benefits in that you could tailor your own 'course' for your needs. If you aren't generally a good self-learner, maybe look into a tutor for specific subjects you are weak in.

I personally never took a prep course so take my opinion with a grain of salt. However, the general trend I see with Kaplan prep courses for any standardized test is more of a focus on test taking strategies rather than the actual content. This could be great for you (if you are bad at standardized tests but have a good grasp of the content) or terrible for you (if you really need heavy content review/struggled in some of the pre-reqs).

Self-studying also has its benefits in that you could tailor your own 'course' for your needs. If you aren't generally a good self-learner, maybe look into a tutor for specific subjects you are weak in.

How would you notice Kaplan's "general trend" if you've never taken their course?

How would you notice Kaplan's "general trend" if you've never taken their course?

Experiences from countless friends who took their courses for the SAT/LSAT/MCAT.
Reviewed their course materials myself when studying for the SAT/MCAT.
Online reviews, posts here.
Research when looking into working for one of these companies for MCAT prep.

I'd say the same thing about Princeton Review. They are definitely very useful if they match your needs and study style but I've found the focus is on maximizing your performance via test-taking strategies rather than increasing your knowledge base. For example, Princeton Review commonly tells students taking the SAT to not even attempt to answer the last few math questions of each question because they are too hard and time is better spent reviewing the earlier problems. Very smart strategy if you are struggling with the section but not one you'd want to use if you're aiming for top scores.

Again, this is just what I've noticed. Would I personally take a review course? Nope, but mostly because I learn pretty decently from self-study and would rather spend the money elsewhere.