NYC PhD Programs - Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leikcaj

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of the NYC Clinical Psych PhD programs give decent financial aid (i.e. tuition waiver + at least a teeny bit of stipend) - I've done a bit of research and the answer seems to be no, but if anyone out there knows otherwise, could you please share?

Members don't see this ad.

Do any of the NYC Clinical Psych PhD programs give decent financial aid (i.e. tuition waiver + at least a teeny bit of stipend) - I've done a bit of research and the answer seems to be no, but if anyone out there knows otherwise, could you please share?

St. John's gives the most, with 2 years of full-time tuition waivers + an $8000 stipend per semester (a little lower for the summer). 3rd year, we get half-time tuition waivers + $4000. There are opportunities to TA for full funding too.

All of the NYC clinical PhD programs DO give aid to SOME of their students. Some of their students end up fully-funded with stipends. Just not all of them, which is one of the things that makes it so scary to think about going. I don't know of any who actually provide guaranteed funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the Fordham interview, they said that all of their students for the past 4 years recieved a tuition wavier, and that some got a stipend.

All of the NYC clinical PhD programs DO give aid to SOME of their students. Some of their students end up fully-funded with stipends. Just not all of them, which is one of the things that makes it so scary to think about going. I don't know of any who actually provide guaranteed funding.

No school can or will guarantee you funding... it's too much of a liability for them especially given today's economic conditions. At best, they'll say something like "although we cannot guarantee funding, all of our graduate students have typically been fully funded in the past" or something to that effect.

If you're planning to go to a program in NYC, you should probably plan to take out some loans too.

No school can or will guarantee you funding... it's too much of a liability for them especially given today's economic conditions./QUOTE]

From Rutgers:
All students admitted to the PhD program in psychology are guaranteed 5 years of funding, provided that they maintain good status in the program.

Just to put statements from schools about not guaranteeing funding in perspective.

I was going to mention that, too. As far as the Social PhD, the only way to lose the 5-year guarantee is to have an accepted MA, in which case you're guaranteed three years (since you're supposed to be out in three years).

Quite a few 6th years wind up funded too.

Again, Clinical may be a very different animal.

As I understand it, "Guarantee" statements are generally a legal matter - it depends on whether the money is "on hand" and set aside upon your entering the program versus pulled from ongoing operating costs.

Realistically, I don't think it makes a big difference. If a program tells you that at no point in the last 20 years has anyone ever not been funded, I wouldn't freak out if they won't formally guarantee it. My program doesn't guarantee...I'm not worried, even with the economy being what it is. Its generally expected that you will have a tuition waiver with a stipend in the clinical world, and I'm always amazed how some programs manage to draw enough applicants to survive (though apparently PsyD programs somehow manage). The schools that don't offer funding are definitely a minority.

The New School of NYC does not offer funding. Most students only get about 3000 dollars, which is nothing considering their high tuition. Most clinical students end up with at least 100k debt. Also, their RA and TA's only make 3000 a semester.
The sad part is that the New School spends more on advertising than many businesses. This is really sad since their students struggle financially and they do not even have a library.