NYC Pre-meds/meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kazavana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all those NYC med, premed students out there. I just wanted to ask some help from the SDN community in nyc regarding volunteer opportunities in hospitals. Unfortunately the picture that has been painted for me by other volunteers at some local hospitals has been that all they do is make gurneys all day. I personally do not want to do this as I see it unpractical in the premed sense. I'm in the Queens borough and i just wanted to get a general sense as to what kind of volunteering people are doing in the nyc hospitals and if they have a particular hospital that they favor maybe because it can provide a better learning experience. Are there any kind of special volunteer opportunities in the NYC area hospitals, like some sort of special program? My best bet for a hospital to volunteer in is Elmhurst Hospital, although a lot of stigma is associated with it due to the lack of organization and sometimes just the way it looks inside. I just wanna get some thoughts from those that have walked this path. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

St. Luke's has the AA program which is great. but that generally goes to Columbia Students, or at least it used to. (cause it's right across the street). check it out if u can

Check out SAFE programs; several NYC hospitals have them. You can volunteer as a rape crisis/DV advocate. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really serious about it, but it will make you a better doctor (i think), it's interesting, and you're doing something worthwhile. It's usually a significant training and time committment, but its also probably one of the few clinical experiences where you'll be able to really do something.

Members don't see this ad :)
The volunteering department at Memorial Sloan-Kettering is amazing. I started volunteering in the peds department there in undergrad, and loved it so much that I continued through medical school, up until this past March (I'm a fourth-year). You have a chance to become very involved in helping the kids and their parents through the day to day struggles of chemo, etc., and you learn a ton about caring for sick patients. It's a remarkable experience.

Just keep in mind that there's often a waiting list for volunteering, and that the office is serious about you keeping a regular commitment. You can go to www.mskcc.org to find out the contact information/ application.

wow thanks a lot guys. Anyone else have a good experience to share?

Incredible program at NYU/Bellevue ED. Rotate through various departments, but volunteers spend most of their time in the ED. Pretty competitive to get into contact their volunteer office for info.

J