NYC programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morphea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for info on non-top nyc programs. I read an old thread but I feel some of the info might be outdated. So any pros/cons for:
SLR, Beth Israel, Maimonides, SIUH, Winthrop, NYMC, NSLIJ? Do any of them provide significantly better fellowship matches or any other disparities? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Out of those programs, SLR, Beth Israel, and I think NSLIJ (don't know much about that one) have the best reputations.

NSLIJ is definitely the best of the ones you've listed, but you will be very busy.

Beth Israel and St. Luke's are solid community programs in great locations. They have shared didactics (all of the residents have one day a week of lectures together).

Winthrop has great housing perks and was surprisingly research focused for a small program. Easy commute to from city.

SIUH is a solid community program, but unless you want to live on Staten Island or are really interested in informatics, probably should be lower on your list.

Truth is, no matter what your stats, don't rule out the bigger academic places too.

NYU and Cornell might be out of reach, but Columbia, Sinai and especially Montefiore (matched only 6/9 last year) should be within reach for a mid tier candidate in what looks like a very non-competitive year.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and btw, fellowship matches are pretty meaningless as a criteria for ranking programs.

I focused on it when applying too, but now honestly think people staying at the same program for fellowship might be a better criteria for strength of a program than seeing bigger names on the list.

Oh, and btw, fellowship matches are pretty meaningless as a criteria for ranking programs.

I focused on it when applying too, but now honestly think people staying at the same program for fellowship might be a better criteria for strength of a program than seeing bigger names on the list.

Very interesting. Can you explain why? Would you then rank programs with fellows higher? I've heard the opposite, since fellows can get in the way of seeing an ideal volume of cases, particularly in procedure-heavy subspecialties. Have I been misinformed?

Yes, I understand that at stronger programs how many people stay might be a good indicator of their strengths(though some people might just go away for a change in scenery). But for low/mid tier programs that might not even have a fellowship in a given area, I thought that a fellowship match might be a way to compare them with other programs? Also please give any other tips on how you determine that "reputation" of one low/mid tier program is better than for another one? I.e. any other pros/cons on these programs that I've listed? Thanks!

Do any of these programs stand out in any way such as giving you exceptional or exceptionally bad training in IR or MSK or any other area?

Very interesting. Can you explain why? Would you then rank programs with fellows higher? I've heard the opposite, since fellows can get in the way of seeing an ideal volume of cases, particularly in procedure-heavy subspecialties. Have I been misinformed?

For IR, go someplace with few fellows (relative to cases/Angio suites) or with a strong IR fellowship and a history of taking its own residents. (You will get most of your IR training in fellowship +/- mini fellowship no matter where you go.)

For everything diagnostic - fellows generally come from the same institution's residency program (good fellowships) or weaker residency programs (all fellowships). If you have a strong interest, you should be able to win fights with the fellows for interesting cases. This may be more about the institution's philosophy than the number of fellows - think most programs value their residents more than their fellows and want to provide the best education for them, but that may just be my limited experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am looking for info on non-top nyc programs. I read an old thread but I feel some of the info might be outdated. So any pros/cons for:
SLR, Beth Israel, Maimonides, SIUH, Winthrop, NYMC, NSLIJ? Do any of them provide significantly better fellowship matches or any other disparities? Thanks!

Technically speaking only SLR/BI, Maimonides, SIUH are located in NYC, if you really want to split hairs then only SLR/BI are in "NYC" (Manhattan). Winthrop/NSLIJ are about 20-25 miles east of NYC in nice suburbs as is NYMC (only north). Think quality of training is similar with SLR/BI and NSLIJ but living in Manhattan will give you an unique life experience. Also I believe now that SLR/BI are partnered up with Sinai (not sure what exactly this means). If you're interested in MSK think about Maimonides (if Beltran is still there)

What about Lenox Hill? Anybody know anything about that program.

What about Lenox Hill? Anybody know anything about that program.

Great location. Now controlled by NSLIJ.

Would probably rank it similarly to SIUH and Maimonides if you just consider training and ignore location (Manhattan versus Staten Island and Brooklyn).

Would love to get a job there (and if they hire their own, that might be a consideration), but you're better off training at NSLIJ, Beth Israel, or St Lukes Roosevelt (and obviously the bigger academic places).

Technically speaking only SLR/BI, Maimonides, SIUH are located in NYC, if you really want to split hairs then only SLR/BI are in "NYC" (Manhattan).
Ignore the "unique life experience" malarkey about living in Manhattan. And anyone who says "NYC" = Manhattan does not know what he/she's talking about....

Save your money (somewhat) and live in housing your program subsidizes or in an outer borough - even if you get a training program in Manhattan.

Winthrop/NSLIJ are about 20-25 miles east of NYC in nice suburbs as is NYMC (only north). Think quality of training is similar with SLR/BI and NSLIJ but living in Manhattan will give you an unique life experience.

Wrong. NSLIJ is much better than the other programs listed here. You will be busy, but it was the strongest community program in NYC hands down for a long time and is now technically academic.

(Not really sure where to place NYMC. Hospital and medical school are both in some trouble, and although the PD is great, thought the program seemed weak.)
Also I believe now that SLR/BI are partnered up with Sinai (not sure what exactly this means).
It changed the sign on the door.
If you're interested in MSK think about Maimonides (if Beltran is still there)

Maimo is a decent community program, and living in Brooklyn is probably a better "unique life experience" than living in Manhattan, but I wouldn't go there for Beltran.

If you can get into NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Sinai, or Montefiore (the big academic programs, followed by NSLIJ), go there, no matter what specialty interests you.

If you can get into NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Sinai, or Montefiore (the big academic programs, followed by NSLIJ), go there, no matter what specialty interests you.
What if you didn't get an interview at the above academic programs? How would you rank SLR, BI, Maimo, Lenox Hill? Would you go to an academic program elsewhere vs. go to a community program to stay in NYC?

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you didn't get an interview at the above academic programs? How would you rank SLR, BI, Maimo, Lenox Hill? Would you go to an academic program elsewhere vs. go to a community program to stay in NYC?

BI >= St Luke's > Maimo > Lenox Hill.

If you do not need to end up in NYC, I would strongly consider an academic spot outside of the city. All depends on where you want to build your network and how much you value location.

I would also try to contact a few of those places that didn't offer you an interview yet. Particularly Montefiore since its a solid program that people from outside NYC often overlook since its in the Bronx. They didn't fill last year, so might be more receptive to people who say they really want to go there.

BI >= St Luke's > Maimo > Lenox Hill.

If you do not need to end up in NYC, I would strongly consider an academic spot outside of the city. All depends on where you want to build your network and how much you value location.

I would also try to contact a few of those places that didn't offer you an interview yet. Particularly Montefiore since its a solid program that people from outside NYC often overlook since its in the Bronx. They didn't fill last year, so might be more receptive to people who say they really want to go there.
Interesting. What do you think about Winthrop?

Interesting. What do you think about Winthrop?

Was pleasantly surprised. PD really wanted to make it more academic and was heavily pushing research. Very easy commute in/out of city (across the street from LIRR so wouldn't need a car to go to NYC, great housing deal).

Think it's around the same level as Maimonides, though I honestly can't remember which one I ranked higher.

Ignore the "unique life experience" malarkey about living in Manhattan. And anyone who says "NYC" = Manhattan does not know what he/she's talking about....

Save your money (somewhat) and live in housing your program subsidizes or in an outer borough - even if you get a training program in Manhattan.

Wrong. NSLIJ is much better than the other programs listed here. You will be busy, but it was the strongest community program in NYC hands down for a long time and is now technically academic.

(Not really sure where to place NYMC. Hospital and medical school are both in some trouble, and although the PD is great, thought the program seemed weak.)

It changed the sign on the door.

Maimo is a decent community program, and living in Brooklyn is probably a better "unique life experience" than living in Manhattan, but I wouldn't go there for Beltran.

Guess it all depends on "unique life experience", for me (single heterosexual male) living in downtown manhattan in subsidized housing, with 5 min walk to work and the gym was a freakin blast...Borough Park is great if you are part of the orthodox Jewish community. When I interviewed at Maimo (and downstate, and even NSLIJ) there were residents who reversed commuted from Manhattan...Not quite sure why you think NSLIJ provides "much better" training, maybe comparable. It is not academic (like NYU/Cornell/Sinai/Columbia) and not in NYC (unless you consider Long Island NYC), only academic program on LI is Stony Brook (about 60 miles east of Manhattan, maybe that is considered NYC as well in your book). Manhasset/Great Neck aren't exactly exciting (or cheap) places to live, in fact their main attraction is their 20 mile proximity to Manhattan. I personally don't know of anyone who didn't rank a Manhattan program (even a crappy no longer existing program like St. Vincents) over any of the non-Manhattan programs (with the exception of Monti which is a top-notch upper tier program)

Guess it all depends on "unique life experience", for me (single heterosexual male) living in downtown manhattan in subsidized housing, with 5 min walk to work and the gym was a freakin blast...Borough Park is great if you are part of the orthodox Jewish community.
There are some great neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I see you left NYC a while ago and I'm guessing you were a transplant there. You can live in Queens and commute easily to NSLIJ. You can live in some of the best neighborhoods in Brooklyn and commute easily to Maimonides. And believe it or not, heterosexual single males spend a lot of time in Brooklyn (eg Williamsburg).
When I interviewed at Maimo (and downstate, and even NSLIJ) there were residents who reversed commuted from Manhattan...Not quite sure why you think NSLIJ provides "much better" training, maybe comparable. It is not academic (like NYU/Cornell/Sinai/Columbia)
Technically it is now that they started their own medical school (Hofstra).

and not in NYC (unless you consider Long Island NYC), only academic program on LI is Stony Brook (about 60 miles east of Manhattan, maybe that is considered NYC as well in your book). Manhasset/Great Neck aren't exactly exciting (or cheap) places to live, in fact their main attraction is their 20 mile proximity to Manhattan.

Never said it was in NYC (although the LIJ parking lot is technically in Queens).
I personally don't know of anyone who didn't rank a Manhattan program (even a crappy no longer existing program like St. Vincents) over any of the non-Manhattan programs (with the exception of Monti which is a top-notch upper tier program)

I live in Manhattan. It's over-rated as a place to live. And you can easily live there and reverse commute to these other programs.

Going to Harlem Hospital over NSLIJ because it's in Manhattan would be stupid. I personally ranked NSLIJ > BI and SLR because I thought the training was sufficiently better to suffer the indignity of commuting to Long Island.

But in the end, this all comes down to personal choice.

Yeah, I did not get any interviews at academic nyc programs. I don't know if nyc is great for a single hetero male. I guess if you're looking for any type of woman, population density in nyc is very high. But hot women in NYC are unlikely to be impressed by a radiology resident.

You can live in Queens and commute easily to NSLIJ. You can live in some of the best neighborhoods in Brooklyn and commute easily to Maimonides. And believe it or not, heterosexual single males spend a lot of time in Brooklyn (eg Williamsburg).

But in the end, this all comes down to personal choice.

agree x 2

Yeah, I did not get any interviews at academic nyc programs. I don't know if nyc is great for a single hetero male. I guess if you're looking for any type of woman, population density in nyc is very high. But hot women in NYC are unlikely to be impressed by a radiology resident.

You are correct, many attractive women in NYC are pretentious, this is however (as you alluded to) somewhat offset by sheer ridiculous volume

The question becomes, if you only got interviews at all of the non-academic NYC programs, would you choose one of those over a decent academic program say in Philly or somewhere outside of NY?

Very few people are "impressed" by your being a radiology resident.

Most people outside of medicine will assume you're a rad tech when you say you're a radiologist.

Certain personalities that you have a zero chance to hit are much more common in NYC, however the volume is massive. You can find all sorts of personalities and qualities. The number of available single women are more than single guys.
If you can not find a hot woman in NYC, you can not find it anywhere. period.

Now apart from joking, NYC is not for everyone. You either love it or hate it. It is not hard to decide. I always recommend people to go to the best academic place that they can. However, if you are "the NYC type person", choosing a community program in NYC over an academic place in midwest is not a bad idea. If you are really NYC type person, then moving to a midsize city in midwest esp as a single guy is a bad choice. Residency is 4 years and there is a high likelihood that you will get depressed or at least not as happy which in fact will negatively effect your function. However, if you are not strictly a Mega-city type guy, then choosing a solid academic center in midwest over a community program in NYC is the way to go.

Last edited:
Certain personalities that you have a zero chance to hit are much more common in NYC, however the volume is massive. You can find all sorts of personalities and qualities. The number of available single women are much more than single guys.
If you can not find a hot woman in NYC, you can not find it anywhere. period.

Now apart from joking, NYC is not for everyone. You either love it or hate it. It is not hard to decide. I always recommend people to go to the best academic place that they can. However, if you are "the NYC type person", choosing a community program in NYC over an academic place in midwest is not a bad idea. If you are really NYC type person, then moving to a midsize city in midwest esp as a single guy is a bad choice. Residency is 4 years and there is a high likelihood that you will get depressed or at least not as happy which in fact will negatively effect your function. However, if you are not strictly a Mega-city type guy, then choosing a solid academic center in midwest over a community program in NYC is the way to go.
Tis the predicament I am in. No interviews at top academic programs in NYC, but all the community programs- and good academic programs elsewhere on east coast. Love nyc and don't know if I can leave it!

anyone know if Montefiore has a pre-interview dinner/social the night before the interview day? Trying to set up flights and PC hasn't responded yet...

anyone know if Montefiore has a pre-interview dinner/social the night before the interview day? Trying to set up flights and PC hasn't responded yet...

If I remember correctly, Monte interviews on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and they do their dinners on the Wednesday evening for students interviewing both days.

anyone interview at Harlem Hospital? I never received an email regarding interview details.. :eyebrow:

what are the reasons to avoid richmond university in staten island?

They were on probation a few years ago. They still use actual film. Very small program. It's in Staten Island.

I didn't interview there so maybe I'm being a bit quick to judge, but with those criteria alone they're behind most NYC community programs. So unless you are a foreign medical graduate or a convicted serial murderer, you can probably do better given the current environment.

Accept your interview and check it out for yourself though if you don't have enough yet (if you have >10 or would be traveling to go, I'd reconsider). Don't let an anonymous comment deter you.

bump. please rank stony brook, nslij, maimonides, siuh, beth israel, slr, nymc .

bump. please rank stony brook, nslij, maimonides, siuh, beth israel, slr, nymc .

BI, SLR, SB, NSLIJ, NYMC>>SIUH>Maimo in terms of training. Location ranking depends on whether you want suburban or urban living. If you are single and want a social life I would avoid SB.

Bump...can somebody edumacate me on the NYC programs? Interested in hearing thoughts on Staten Island, Lenox Hill, Jacob-Einstein, Harlem, and NSLIJ

I see that SUNY-downstate is conspicuously absent in this thread. They are technically an academic program, can anyone give insight into how they see them compared to the other programs mentioned in this thread?

I see that SUNY-downstate is conspicuously absent in this thread. They are technically an academic program, can anyone give insight into how they see them compared to the other programs mentioned in this thread?

Although it is a university program it is not held to the same esteem of the big city programs like NYU, Sinai, Cornell etc.
Research there is resident driven and even then nothing spectacular.

That being said, the residents rotate mainly at the county hospital across the street (first two years of call is all there). The county ED is consistently in the top 10 busiest in the nation and is a trauma center. The training you get there IMO is legit. They are phasing out the IR fellows so residents also get a lot of exposure to IR procedures which is a plus if you're interested in that. Lastly, their track record for fellowship matches is stellar.