NYCOM interview advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCDawg81

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an upcoming NYCOM interview, any advice for a DO hopeful?

Members don't see this ad.

NYCDawg81 said:

Check the NYCOM website. I believe they have an open house on Saturday Nov 20th. I attended last year and it was worthwhile.
Good luck.

seacatch said:
Check the NYCOM website. I believe they have an open house on Saturday Nov 20th. I attended last year and it was worthwhile.
Good luck.

Definitely attend the open house and learn as much as possible. This way you can bring that up while on interview (which they like) and you can actually ask legitimate questions (which they love). They gave me the impression that they want to know how badly you want to go there. Going to the open house shows that you're serious.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYCDawg81 said:

Hey ! When is your interview? I have one at NYCOM coming up too! Good luck! :)

When is your interview? Mine is December 1! :D

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it a bunch...

Well, my interview is on Novemeber 17th...I actually thought about scheduling after open house...but I was just so excited that I scheduled the interview as early as possible. Hopefully, all the research I've done will pay off during this interview. Extremely high chance of me going if accepted.

Keep in touch NYCOM interviewers, I'll tell you how my interview went if I survive... :rolleyes:

Anybody else will advice, it would be appreciated. Thanks again all! :thumbup:

:luck: Hi! We should definitely keep each other posted with how interview went, if accepted etc. NYCOM is one of my top choices and really wanna go there. Good luck!

I interviewed there last year in January..unfortunatlely I died on the waitlist...The interview last year was very unique because it was closed file with a lot of psych profile type questions...Im scheduled again December1...let me know how it goes on November 17. hopefully they will tell you when the adcom meets so you dont stress out not knowing when you'll get a decision. Last year they told us specifically when we would hear from them! Good Luck! :thumbup:

have you guys noticed that on the secondary it say specifically "in the space provided" write why you want to attend NYOM. That is the only section that says that....hmmmmmm.....last year I wrote please see attached and wrote a SEPERATE page....what do you recommend? I know its important to follow directions but its like 3 or 4 lines!! not to mention last year I was waitlisted!! :laugh: let me know what you guys think

domsport said:
have you guys noticed that on the secondary it say specifically "in the space provided" write why you want to attend NYOM. That is the only section that says that....hmmmmmm.....last year I wrote please see attached and wrote a SEPERATE page....what do you recommend? I know its important to follow directions but its like 3 or 4 lines!! not to mention last year I was waitlisted!! :laugh: let me know what you guys think

Attach a page and answer the question. I doubt NYCOM is doing it to play a mind game with the secondary. It's just a question of space. I would not be paranoid about it, and write a real answer.

I heard NYCOM gives you like 45 minutes to complete the supplementary application when you go on interview day. But we can still fill that out beforehand though right? I'm just confused with this business.

No...you get the secondary in the mail along with your interview invite to prepare it before you go.

For the interview,
Be sure you are ready to answer any inadequacies in your file, any poor science grade, mcat. If you took years off be prepared to explain it and what you did during that time. If you did research make sure you know what you did and can articulate it (i.e. if you say you did vertebral research, make sure you know that cervical region has 7 bodies). Most people can say 1 or two sentence about a research they did for 2 years, but can't elaborate so make sure you go in prepared. If you get a Biochem, or physio professor and you said you did research be prepared for some simple grilling. Don't know answer? Just say you think and give a a logical explanation, but tell them you are really not sure. As for the interview expect to have two interviewers and 4 hours of waiting for everyone in your group to complete theirs. Be cordial to your other interviewees make friends and talk, it takes the stress of the process. Ok, here's the deal, the professors at nycom are great but a bit unique, one of them will attempt to scare you during the interview to see how you hold up with pressure, ask personal questions, insult your grades, mcat etc. to see a response (don't break). Sit back relax and just say you weren't proud of it, but have potential to improve. As for others you may not be able to understand them well with accent, you'll get used to the accent, but have them repeat politely don't go off on tangents. There is another professor with vision problem that may not look you straight in the eye, if you end up with him, just go with the flow, he is not disinterested. Remember to ask for their card or e-mail and send a note.

Also Complete supplement before showing up at the interview, they want it at the door. Try to type it b/c I recall seeing one of the supplements looked like it was written by a five year old. It does make a difference... especially because their supplement is so short it is not hard to type. They have your personal statement, they want a short and to the point answer of why NYCOM... don't extend it by trying to brown nose, it won't work, follow directions. It also exhibits whether you can articulate your desires in a concise manner

Members don't see this ad :)
yea NYCDawg81, if u mind putting down some of the interview questions you got, i would appreciate it. I got NYCOM interview on december, and im nervous and excited at the same time.

I'm an instater and i got an interview for NYCOM on Dec. 8th. After looking at the instate %'s of those that get in after an interview. It looks like anyone who has an interview and is instate has a 75% chance of getting in. Does anybody know if this is true?????

yes according to my calculation ur right...boom u da man

Hi all, anyone interviewing at NYCOM on the 15th next month??? Its my 1st interview so i'm really excited, but nervous! Congrats to the rest of you with interviews. :D

Thanks for the overview!! We have to remember we are all in this together! Good luck, let us know if you hear anything! I'll be sure and post my experience as well. Did you meet with the Dean of Admissions after your interview to make sure your file was complete? We did that last year.

Good Luck :thumbup:

NYCDawg81 said:
Well...its over

Let me recap

Got there at 11am, got lost. No signs or anything showing directions so I just stopped and asked a random security dude in a car. Pretty nice setting though, the suburban look. Reminded me of Stony Brook on a smaller scale.

Got there like 15 minutes early but most of the interviewers were already there. At 11am, they showed us to a conference room where we waited for the short while. Then a few people talked to us. Dean of admiss, Assist Dean, Financial aid lady, and then the students. All cool people, loved them!

Then we ate some school type of packed lunch with the med students. We asked questions, they told me inside info. Very nice people.

After that, we took the tour and I have to admit it was impressive. I liked the lecture hall setting, Large, neat and clean, with wifi installed. Wifi is also installed throughout campus too which is a plus for people with labtops.

There is also this new STAN clinical simulation which have not been used yet but should be in the next year or two. Overall impressive stuff, at least to me.

Down to the interview, waiting was what made me kind of anxious. It was an one on one interview but they only had two interviewers for all 10 of us. I waited around a hour for my interview with this dude named Dr. Torres. The students warned us that he does stress interviews sometimes. But it was a very calm and relaxing interview. Questions and comments include:

"Why medicine?"

"Tell me about yourself."

Asked me some things on my medically related job

Am I happy with my current job or am I looking for something more

"Do you have any hobbies?"

"Do you have anything to add to your profile?"

And thats it. Took about 10 minutes. Everybody who interviewed before me said it was a piece of cake. They also told me that I should get a reply around early to mid December.

Interesting note: All the people I interviewed with said NYCOM had the best facilities out of all the schools they interviewed at. Schools noted were PCOM, UMDNJ SOM, Drexel (MD) and some other DO schools

But then there is the exception of the small crack of a library and the dinky little gym...which is more like a lounge with a bench press and some running machines. hahaha But that will do for my purposes.

I hope they accept me. Would relieve a lot of my stress and worries. :thumbup:

It's funny how you mentioned Dr. Torres... man, he got us good on Histo today! HAHAHAHA

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get in.

hello every1

i'll be interviewing at nycom on 30th of this month. for those who have been interviewed, please share your experiences.

thanks.

does anyone know the name of the director of admissions at NYCOM. I was thinking about sending a letter of intent and have no idea who to address or how to get in touch with them .

The director of admission is Dr. Schaffer. Not 100% sure on the spelling of the name. What is the purpose of the letter of intent ?

The NYCOM gym that you see now is a huge improvement from the years before. We will be getting a bench set and other equipment very soon. ONLY NYCOM students are allowed to use the gym which is really nice.

As for interviews, it has changed a lot since the previous years.

Gary... let me know when your interview is... the 8th or 9th ? I'll be done w/ my block exams by then and will probably be doing tours on that day.. i just gota sign up for it first. heh.

NYCOM has really nice auditorium and state of the art technological facilities in terms of equipment and such. Our campus is wireless and what beats other campus is that all of our lectures are online. It means that if you can't make it to a lecture, you can always watch it online and its edited so that only important information is on it.

Every student is also given a handheld response card where when questions are asked in class, people can just push A, B, C or D for the choices. Then a % of the choice picked are shown and the correct answer. It is more interactive and give better feedback to the professor for his teaching. I know the 1st yrs had it for awhile and probably didn't try it out yet, but we tried it out for the first time a few days ago for my EKG lecture and it worked great. NYCOM is a handful of those schools who have this type of device out of all MD and DO schools.

The students here are very very nice as well, so the impression that you got "NYCdawg81" from the ambassadors is not a show. I will be at open house this saturday november 20th at NYCOM, so whoever attends, and would like to learn more about NYCOM, you can always come up to me and and ask me any questions. I look fwd to seeing all of you hopefully. Goodluck and take care.

I have been contacted by several people in the past about NYCOM life, learning, BS/DO program etc. If you would like to contact me personally, you can always instant message me at "sia simba". I will gladly help out whatever I can.

Is NYCOM in the middle of New York? I know that the actual locations states that it is in Old Wetbury, but I was just wondering how urban it actually was

NYCOM is located in Long Island, exit 30 on the Northern State parkway and exit 40 on the Long Island expressway. It is about 15-20 minutes drive from queens 60mph. It does get busy because glen cove is a pretty populated area during rush hours and stuff. Unless you're commuting from either queens, brooklyn, manhattan, etc... traffic won't be bad for you. Worst is, it'll take you 30mins to get to school instead of the regular 10mins... whereas for people traveling long distances, it could take longer.

Once, I was on the road for 2hours straight. Thats just one way trip.

Does anyone that has interviewed already or is attending the school know the names of the faculty interviewers this year?

domsport said:
Does anyone that has interviewed already or is attending the school know the names of the faculty interviewers this year?

I am a second year and the interviewers change every time. I think of all my friends, we all had different interviewers.

NYCDawg81 said:

I had an afternoon interview the 17th. Dr. Torres had me as well. My interview lasted about 30 minutes. He was curious about my EMS experience and some of my biomedical engineering stuff. I have no excuse for confusing route 25 with 25A, I suck. Good thing I gave myself some lost time.

Is Schaefer still the director of admissions? in the confirmation email from nycom it said Rodika Zaika was the Director of Admissions.

Also for those who have gotten interviews @ NYCOM... when did you submit your ACOMAS and when did you get your confirmation from NYCOM? Just trying to figure out how long it takes for them to review ... I know everyone is diff (depending on credentials, but just trying to gauge how long it might be before I hear from them ) thankx! :)