NYCOM interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlin0422

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, so I finally scheduled my interview at NYCOM on Jan 9th, super excited but at the same time freaking out, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

I had my interview on Nov 30. It was very laid back and relaxed. My advice would be for you to be yourself and be able to have a genuine answer as to why NYCOM and why osteopathic medicine.

Laid back interview. Very short and to the point. I really liked the whole homely yet professional feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had my interview yesterday. They were great! The staff put on a great presentation about the school, the student ambassadors were great, and my interview was easy, (but a little strange). I forget the guy's name who interviewed me, but he was really nice. He is the anatomy professor there. He hardly asked me any questions. We discussed a few things and it was really more like a conversation. Then in the middle of the interview, he looked at me and said, "I like you! You are assertive and you know what you are talking about. You are older and more mature. I think I will give you a favorable evaluation." LOL!!! It was wild! But, we didn't talk about GPA, MCAT, why DO, etc. He wanted to know if I did research and wanted me to talk about myself, my life, and my kids, but that was about it. BTW, I am so proud of all my fellow New Yorkers! LOL! We don't always have a reputation for being friendly, but EVERYONE (staff, faculty, students, and applicants) was really nice and down-to-earth. The only thing that is a major down-side to the school is the cost. The financial aid lady came in and went over everything and basically said that our student loans would not cover it entirely, we would have to take out private loans, and if we had bad credit we shouldn't come there because we won't be able to afford it. The tuition and the cost of living is OUTRAGEOUS!!!! Other than that, I genuinely liked the school. I still think DCOM is more me, but NYCOM seems like a great school. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

True, during my interview at the beginning we spoke about why DO and why NYCOM and the most interesting question I liked was where do i see myself 10 yrs from now. From that point we ended up talking about emergency medicine and what not and funny thing was that my interviewer was an E.R. doc and a program director as well. It was really nice.

Doctormom is right the real downside which is enormous in my eyes is the student debt that you're left with. For a loan in 10 yrs I believe you'd be paying about ~3500/month. That is crazy!

hey guys, so I finally scheduled my interview at NYCOM on Jan 9th, super excited but at the same time freaking out, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!:D

Iam thinking of scheduling right around that date too..perhaps a few days later coz i have lecom interview on Jan 8th.

I just had my interview yesterday. They were great! The staff put on a great presentation about the school, the student ambassadors were great, and my interview was easy, (but a little strange). I forget the guy's name who interviewed me, but he was really nice. He is the anatomy professor there. He hardly asked me any questions. We discussed a few things and it was really more like a conversation. Then in the middle of the interview, he looked at me and said, "I like you! You are assertive and you know what you are talking about. You are older and more mature. I think I will give you a favorable evaluation." LOL!!! It was wild! But, we didn't talk about GPA, MCAT, why DO, etc. He wanted to know if I did research and wanted me to talk about myself, my life, and my kids, but that was about it. BTW, I am so proud of all my fellow New Yorkers! LOL! We don't always have a reputation for being friendly, but EVERYONE (staff, faculty, students, and applicants) was really nice and down-to-earth. The only thing that is a major down-side to the school is the cost. The financial aid lady came in and went over everything and basically said that our student loans would not cover it entirely, we would have to take out private loans, and if we had bad credit we shouldn't come there because we won't be able to afford it. The tuition and the cost of living is OUTRAGEOUS!!!! Other than that, I genuinely liked the school. I still think DCOM is more me, but NYCOM seems like a great school. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Most of us take subsidized stafford, unsubsidized stafford and grad plus loans.

Yeah that woman from NYCOM who does financial aid obviously doens't know what she's talking about unless you overgeneralized what she said.

PLUS loans are fixed and you don't have to have awesome credit either. The only way credit comes into play is if you go to private lenders such as banks, etc.

Unless maybe you owe lots of back taxes or have defaulted on a home loan or something extreme... but that's speculation.

Yeah that woman from NYCOM who does financial aid obviously doens't know what she's talking about unless you overgeneralized what she said.

PLUS loans are fixed and you don't have to have awesome credit either. The only way credit comes into play is if you go to private lenders such as banks, etc.

Unless maybe you owe lots of back taxes or have defaulted on a home loan or something extreme... but that's speculation.

She said that student loans would not cover everything unless you have less than 13,000 from undergraduate and even then it would just barely cover the tuition alone. There is a limit of 189,000 on them including undergraduate. So, she said that virtually everyone would have to take out private loans to cover the difference, thus the issue with the credit. Honestly, I did not overgeneralize what she said. She was serious! LOL! She was also including money for books, board, etc. The tuition is about 40,000 for the upcoming year and there was something like a 7% increase each year. The estimated amount for each year came to a total of 65,000+. So, multiply that by four and you see where the issue with the student loans come in. :D

Iam thinking of scheduling right around that date too..perhaps a few days later coz i have lecom interview on Jan 8th.

nice :)
what dates are they offering for interviews right now? is it still in jan or feb already?

so how does this interview thing work?
by mail or email?

i didnt get anything back yet from them
only thing was that they told me everything was completed.

how long did it take u sdn'ers?

so how does this interview thing work?
by mail or email?

i didnt get anything back yet from them
only thing was that they told me everything was completed.

how long did it take u sdn'ers?

Snail mail. I think I was complete close to two months before receiving the invitation, but they just started interviewing in November. Send your LORs now. Good luck!:luck:

It took them about 2 weeks to get back to me by mail.