NYCOM PBL Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiiboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been informed as to when Nycom will announce what the new curriculum will be? Also, someone recently posted that NYCOM students will have the option of a pbl type curriculum starting this fall and that it will only be available to 40 students. Can anyone confirm such a program? Also, what exactly is entailed in a pbl curriculum vs a "normal" curriculum. If anyone knows anything please post. Also anyone notice that NYCOM's website is not working as of now. Is it possible that they are in the process of updating some info for us??? Thanks :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

When I was there for my interview they explained the entire program to us, so yes, I am confirming it. It will only be available to 40 students, which I believe will be 1st come 1st serve. It is also just a pilot, or trial, program to see how the students like it and respond to it. From what we were told, once you commit to this program, you are not allowed to go back to the regular, lecture-based curriculum, you are locked in. That seems a bit rediculous to me.

The program does have its merits though, but I would have preferred to have some of the PBL style learning (problem based learning)integrated with regular classes, versus, striclty working with in small groups and aquiring "all" the knowledge you are to learn in med school by solving medical problems with a small group of students and later having a resident or prof check on your work. Anatomy is to be the only actual class these students will take with the rest the students.

Personally, I just feel like I would be missing something by not attending regular classes with professors and that my learning/studying for boards will be very unorganized from this. A trial program is all well and good and I'm glad that they're looking into this style of learning, however I'm not spending my tuition on a trial program that I'm not sure I will like and will be locked into. This is also why I chose another school over NYCOM, as they integrate PBL and clinical early on in the curriculum.

Hope this helped

Taus said:
When I was there for my interview they explained the entire program to us, so yes, I am confirming it. It will only be available to 40 students, which I believe will be 1st come 1st serve. It is also just a pilot, or trial, program to see how the students like it and respond to it. From what we were told, once you commit to this program, you are not allowed to go back to the regular, lecture-based curriculum, you are locked in. That seems a bit rediculous to me.

The program does have its merits though, but I would have preferred to have some of the PBL style learning (problem based learning)integrated with regular classes, versus, striclty working with in small groups and aquiring "all" the knowledge you are to learn in med school by solving medical problems with a small group of students and later having a resident or prof check on your work. Anatomy is to be the only actual class these students will take with the rest the students.

Personally, I just feel like I would be missing something by not attending regular classes with professors and that my learning/studying for boards will be very unorganized from this. A trial program is all well and good and I'm glad that they're looking into this style of learning, however I'm not spending my tuition on a trial program that I'm not sure I will like and will be locked into. This is also why I chose another school over NYCOM, as they integrate PBL and clinical early on in the curriculum.

Hope this helped

You do realize that 99% of the lectures are video streamed online right?